We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

View Poll Results: What do you think about grace period for shared storage transfers?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • There should be grace period for 1 week or more

30 73.17%
  • No, there should not be any grace period at all

11 26.83%

Shared Storage Transfers Grace Period Poll

I wonder what the community thinks

Last edited by Mithrandir1903; May 23 2020 at 01:10 PM.

I think they should remove the 495 price tag in all and go back to offering shared storage transfers for free.
    Leave currencies out of the transfer option though.

I recall Cord saying polls weren't relevant input for them, but I voted

(And I'm also running a poll in Twitter about their new temp server idea coz FREEDOOOM!)
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

If you are transferring from a closed server, then the transfer should be free and shared storage, currency, account items, etc should go with the first character to transfer.

If you are transferring a character and or storage from an existing live server then it should be a transfer for a fee. Just has it has always been for the last 10 plus years. If you want other characters to have some of what is in Shared Storage, because they are going to other servers, then move those items from shared storage to that characters inventory. With the exception for open transfers during the Server Merges and after, character transfers were always for a fee. So this is nothing new. The fee for shared storage transfer is a new thing and will help keep down attempts to dupe items in shared storage if that problem should raise it head again.

Anyway, transferring a character or storage is not an issue caused by SSG, but is one of choice. A choice of the player.
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

I don't usually side with SSG on anything, because they really don't need anyone's protection. However, when people discuss prices and how much something should cost, I can't help but wonder... do you also walk into stores and tell the man behind the counter to lower the price because it's unfair?
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    I don't usually side with SSG on anything, because they really don't need anyone's protection. However, when people discuss prices and how much something should cost, I can't help but wonder... do you also walk into stores and tell the man behind the counter to lower the price because it's unfair?

No you walk across the street and go buy the item at the shop that is charging a price you find fairer.

Alas, the mistake you made was forgetting SSG has a monopoly, we literally can't get our eggs anywhere else, therefore we have to directly voice displeasure with SSG.

Christ if you're going to attempt to boot lick, you might as well understand simple stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by keylime View Post
    No you walk across the street and go buy the item at the shop that is charging a price you find fairer.

Alas, the mistake you made was forgetting SSG has a monopoly, we literally can't get our eggs anywhere else, therefore we have to directly voice displeasure with SSG.

Christ if you're going to attempt to boot lick, you might as well understand simple stuff.
    Lotro has to be a very special kind of egg if you can't get it anywhere else. So let's say it's a special kind of chocolate that you find in your local store that you haven't seen anywhere else and you really want to try it but you can't afford it. Would you beg the shop keeper to discount the price just because he is the only one selling this product? Or you live in a rural area with just 1 food store nearby and the Coke is too expensive for you. Would you beg them to sell it for cheaper? No, because you would have to do that in person and you would be ashamed to do it. Not to mention it would be no use because that's not how the market works. The only reason you are begging here is because you don't have to show your face or give your name to it. Pathetic.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    If you are transferring from a closed server, then the transfer should be free and shared storage, currency, account items, etc should go with the first character to transfer.

If you are transferring a character and or storage from an existing live server then it should be a transfer for a fee. Just has it has always been for the last 10 plus years. If you want other characters to have some of what is in Shared Storage, because they are going to other servers, then move those items from shared storage to that characters inventory. With the exception for open transfers during the Server Merges and after, character transfers were always for a fee. So this is nothing new. The fee for shared storage transfer is a new thing and will help keep down attempts to dupe items in shared storage if that problem should raise it head again.

Anyway, transferring a character or storage is not an issue caused by SSG, but is one of choice. A choice of the player.
    Sounds about right to me.
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    I imagine if a hotel that previously offered complimentary breakfasts started charging for them, it wouldn't be popular with the customers. That's probably a better comparison.
    Eredor-Champion, Ereworn-Minstrel, Ereshorn-Runekeeper, Eresworn-Hunter, Eremourn-Burglar, Erehorn-Captain, Erelorn-Warden, Eretorn-Lore-Master, Erescorn-Guardian... And Erecorn-Master Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by dselden View Post
    I imagine if a hotel that previously offered complimentary breakfasts started charging for them, it wouldn't be popular with the customers. That's probably a better comparison.
    No, your Analogy completely fails. Here is why: The important part is: Complimentary. To what is the service complimentary - in the hotel it would be for staying a night there. If we look at shared storage transfer, it is complimentary to char transfers, and those have been a paid service - and in this complimentary case they still will stay free. What changed, is that the exploitative free transfers have been abused, like to stay with your analogy, if non staying strangers would go to the hotel and eat for food. If they would start charging them, would you then also complain at the hotel? Probably not ..

I say, do NOT add a grace period, as many of the ones that want it have high stakes in this as they probably have transfered large amount of ash over and want to get it back for free. It is good that this is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorondir View Post
    No, your Analogy completely fails. Here is why: The important part is: Complimentary. To what is the service complimentary - in the hotel it would be for staying a night there. If we look at shared storage transfer, it is complimentary to char transfers, and those have been a paid service - and in this complimentary case they still will stay free. What changed, is that the exploitative free transfers have been abused, like to stay with your analogy, if non staying strangers would go to the hotel and eat for food. If they would start charging them, would you then also complain at the hotel? Probably not ..

I say, do NOT add a grace period, as many of the ones that want it have high stakes in this as they probably have transfered large amount of ash over and want to get it back for free. It is good that this is not possible.

I think what he meant was that they add complimentary services in order to make the bill bigger.
    You're still paying for your meal even though it is "complimentary". Just a slightly bigger rooming bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    I think what he meant was that they add complimentary services in order to make the bill bigger.
    You're still paying for your meal even though it is "complimentary". Just a slightly bigger rooming bill.
    And, did it get more expensive? shared storage transfer was never meant as a way to transfer everything around, just as a complimentary service to char transfers. Unfortunately many players just abused it for inter-server trading/currency cap exploitation/...

IMHO, having free transfer for everything including shared storage ONLY from closed serves looks like fair decision, and I hope developers listen to that.

Caveat: I have no horse in this race, all my characters are on Gladden.

Voted for, out of sympathy for all the folks whose "Get this item free on the first character you log in on" rewards ended up on the wrong server.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

The problem I see with a grace period that we will always have people that come later (e.g. we got complaints about people stuck on closed servers lately).
    One could have a few free tokens for accounts that existed at the transfer closure, probably combine it with a grace period.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorondir View Post

It's not possible. All ash was reset when transfers were taken down. Anyone that was sitting on piles of ash (wrongfully) - lost the lot. That's how you deal with an exploit properly, take away their spoils, not punish everyone blanket style because some broke the rules.

And by the way, nobody knows yet if ash over capping is possible again, because SSG haven't mentioned it. It's possible that it may happen with a paid transfer. That there - is selling the exploit that was deemed so bad, that they made this change.
    Last edited by Arnenna; May 25 2020 at 08:30 AM.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Seschat View Post
    Caveat: I have no horse in this race, all my characters are on Gladden.

Voted for, out of sympathy for all the folks whose "Get this item free on the first character you log in on" rewards ended up on the wrong server.
    I have no horse in this race either. All my chars are on EN and though I do have a few name holder alts on other servers, their wallets and shared vaults are empty. They don't even have armour on and are around level 7.

I'm about to vote for a grace period, because I'm sick to the back teeth of the game punishing everyone, every time some bright spark finds and exploit and uses it and then spreads it around the player base. I think tokens would be better though, because some folk may not be around during a week's grace period. I know a player that left the game over this - before it hit, because they anticipated it. They never abused the system, they just used it to send some items back and forth to alts. They may never return, but if they do, I'd like to think they didn't miss a small window of time, and can retrieve any lost items (if there are any even) at their point of return.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by keylime View Post

Snerk. This isn't a monopoly. There are dozens of MMOs out there. If you don't like this one, go across the street to a different store (MMO) that prices things the way you like.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Mithril League: Ardith (Woman Captain)
    Learning to raid on Anor https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship