We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    195

    Ditch the Idea of Freep PvP (of any form) being a thing and fix the actual PvMP

    Players have been asking for PvMP changes/fixes for almost a decade now and SSG responds by adding some form of Freep vs Freep PvP ??

    The last thing SSG did to PvMP was "fixing creep morale" by multiplying it by 2.5 after they failed to do it with the Minas Morgul expansion release earlier. Fixing PvMP is "Easy Content" for a decent amount of people for quite a long time. I don't understand how SSG doesn't realize this.

    I mean the so-called "Challenge League" isn't exactly new to us now as it was already announced in the Producer's Letter for 2020. But, thinking about it now and having it on the Beta just reminds me of how outrageous this situation actually is.
    I don't even understand why anyone in his right mind would think that this can be implemented well IN ANY WAY. Freep vs. Freep PvP has always been terrible, this cannot be changed with 1 Beta and no class changes. We don't even want Freep vs. Freep PvP.

    The "Challenge League" is destined to be a failure from the beginning.


    Now, let's get to the actual feedback on what *should be done*:

    There are Creep abilities that haven't been updated since the Level 65 Cap!! That's back in 2010!
    Reaver has been an absolute awful and unfun class ever since it was nerfed in U14 and hasn't been touched ever since; 12 Updates ago !
    Warleaders are by far the most outdated and undertuned class in the game and the only reason you still have like 5 people logging is the battle rezz. I don't even understand why anyone would still play this class.
    Wargs rely on 1-3 buttons for their entire damage/rotation. The reason for this is bad level scaling on the other abilities that made them irrelevant over time.
    BAs are currently (or rather have been for 1 1/2 years) fundamentally broken (and by that I don't mean Overpowered). 95% of their damage is based on 2 abilities. This isn't fun. This is terrible.

    Fix Creep classes, make them fun and viable again and make their abilities feel meaningful!

    Meanwhile, Burglars, Loremasters, Hunters are able to oneshot creeps. Beornings used to be more or less unkillable while still dealing decent amounts of damage.

    Heal Tagging needs to go. It's a terrible system. You should not be encouraged to leech your points from other players by giving them 1 HoT here and there.

    The rating system needs to be completely reworked. It rewards you for killing solo player or small groups with massive zergs while punishing those that are getting farmed by zergs. It should be the other way around.
    The fact, that Renown/Infamy on a kill is only getting divided by up to a maximum of 10 players (10%) encourages players to play 50vs10 (aka massive zergs that only produce Server Lags) as there is 0 disadvantage to be playing 10vs10.

    There has been a fairly popular request by PvMP players that is asking SSG do finally spend some time doing PvMP development. Not a single thing has been posted by any dev in that thread. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...om-SSG-on-PvMP

    Meanwhile we're getting T4/T5 instances nobody asks for (= Remmorchant T4/T5) and useless landscape areas that offer NOTHING (Update 26).

    Oh and btw, Transfers have been offline for 8 months. 8 Months !!!

  2. #2
    this new server is only one thing. a money grab. nothing else.
    and i agree, it will be a massive failure. and i also agree about some points you mentioned, but let's be honest and realistic. at this point i truly believe ssg doesnt know what theyre doing and just trying to milk as much as possible until the game slides "officially" into maintenance mode.

    i already believe it is in a kinda "ninja maintenance mode" tbh ...
    Original Challenger of the Abyss

  3. #3
    Agreed. SSG is wasting resources on features no one asked for. Why can't they just listen to feedback? There are countless threads out there with decent feedback.

    What needs to be done:

    • Improve Server Performance!
    • Revert back to the old pre Update 10 reward/rating/deed system. As Snobs already mentioned, the current system encourages huge zergs and toxic gameplay. There are 2 Healers for every DPS in the Moors and people's character bars are full with Buffs/Debuffs and HoTs because people simply don't die, causing massive lags and zerg. The old system rewarded solo/small group play and indvidual skill and effort.
    • Get rid of backdoors in Keeps!!!
    • Update PvMP armour, jewellery and essences. Disable PvMP gear in PvE and PvE gear in PvMP. (Use the Monster Play buff. Buff present = PvE armour disabled PvMP armour enabled. This can't be that hard) Give people who enter the moors a starter pack (a weaker version of the PvMP armour/jewellery and some essences. The -x% inc damage and CC duration from Audacity shouldn't be a fixed amount, but should increase with higher Audacity levels (just like pre Mordor)
    • Nerf some hard hitting Freep skills using the Monster Play buff! (Heartseeker, Lightning Storm etc.) Would balance PvMP without affecting PvE balance
    • Buff all NPCs significantly!
    • Either add 6 more corruption slots or buff Creep's base stats.
    • The CD of Creep stun/root immunity potions should be reduced to 60s from 120s, since Freeps have the same potions + an anti CC skill
    • The Phial of Gorgoris' Kiss should be reworked, so that it removes 3 random debuff effects, not just Poison. CD reduced from 60s to 30s
    • Scale Creep Skills/Buffs/Debuffs
    • Some skill CDs should definitely be lowered (WL Call the Shadow for example, WHY DOES FIREBLOOD STILL HAVE A CD??)
    • Introduce Class Trait Bonuses like you did with Corruptions
    • Disable auto flip!
    Last edited by Daenirion; May 21 2020 at 09:12 AM.

  4. #4
    One of the easiest and fastest fixes probably would be disabling autoflip and disabling entering backdoor while in combat.
    Original Challenger of the Abyss

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenirion View Post
    Agreed. SSG is wasting resources on feautures no one asked for. Why can't they just listen to feedback? There are countless threads out there with decent feedback.
    Because this is easy. It's an exact copy of the live servers with another lvl cap (like the LS).
    Differences I found:
    - Changes related to the implementation of this new system: copy the NPCs & add 2 quests, truce/faction buffs and a deed log tab for their honor points system.
    - Instance finder is limited. Looks more like the old one from LS (i.e: no Big Battles, no Osgiliath)

    Everything else you know to be available remains the same (at least regarding this build #1).
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    Because this is easy. It's an exact copy of the live servers with another lvl cap (like the LS).
    Differences I found:
    - Changes related to the implementation of this new system: copy the NPCs & add 2 quests, truce/faction buffs and a deed log tab for their honor points system.
    - Instance finder is limited. Looks more like the old one from LS (i.e: no Big Battles, no Osgiliath)

    Everything else you know to be available remains the same (at least regarding this build #1).
    They need decrease amount of damage and disable lotro store. Or people quickly buy keys, get chests from Lalia shop and get best gear

  7. #7
    I'm looking forward to reading all the QQ from players wanting all the Freep classes nerfed to oblivion, except the class they prefer to play. Throughout all those tears will still remain the ever present PvE, PvP argument of class balance in relation to the two.

    The "lags" will be game breaking, but it will finally show how system built upon system, integrating, exponential, calculations being applied as the culprit. #16rowsofbuff

    Zerging will become the prevalent choice and class stacking will be a normal expectation. Eventually one group will dominate and be camping others outside their faction refuge.



    Somehow, I seem to have a vague notion, I've seen that somewhere before.














    Fix Ettenmoors PvMP
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

    Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

  8. #8
    Agreed.
    It's funny how this game has a pvp aspect that could be insanely fun and good if it got any attention, yet SSG decides to ignore it entirely and make a new pvp event that no one asked for???
    Creeps:
    Deathlyheals - R14 defiler | Deadlyline - R10 Warg
    Freeps - FullyWrecked
    #BringT2cBack

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    174

    Exclamation

    I completely agree.
    PvMP has been an abandoned subject to all-SSG for too long. It's basically the exact same concept, except it's just Freeps VS Freeps.

    Not only do I think this is rather disappointing, it's also completely unnecessary. We already HAVE a PvP zone.
    It's simple: PvMP is lore-wise accurate: Sauron's army VS the Free People. And even if freeps REALLY need to become rivals, add in Evil Men at the creeps side. There's so many characters you can pick from!

    I have said this many times now:
    PLEASE SSG, for the love of God, just read through this document and actually make it happen:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

    We basically gave SSG all the information they need, ranging from polls (aka. community's opinions) to stat-changes to entirely new class-designs.
    Cordovan has said both on-stream and to me personally that it is a cool document and that they'll definitely look into it. We were even allowed to be put on the Lotro Beacon #116. Though nothing ever happened.

    If they want PvMP to re-emerge, then FIX, FIX, FIX the current PvMP. There's no point in adding another PvP method.
    Last edited by SlopranoDark; May 22 2020 at 09:26 AM.
    Start customizing your vital here! PvMP could use some love!
    Join the discussion

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by SlopranoDark View Post
    I completely agree.
    PvMP has been an abandoned subject to all-SSG for too long. It's basically the exact same concept, except it's just Freeps VS Freeps.

    Not only do I think this is rather disappointing, it's also completely unnecessary. We already HAVE a PvP zone.
    It's simple: PvMP is lore-wise accurate: Sauron's army VS the Free People. And even if freeps REALLY need to become rivals, add in Evil Men at the creeps side. There's so many characters you can pick from!

    I have said this many times now:
    PLEASE SSG, for the love of God, just read through this document and actually make it happen:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

    We basically gave SSG all the information they need, ranging from polls (aka. community's opinions) to stat-changes to entirely new class-designs.
    Cordovan has said both on-stream and to me personally that it is a cool document and that they'll definitely look into it. We were even allowed to be put on the Lotro Beacon #116. Though nothing ever happened.

    If they want PvMP to re-emerge, then FIX, FIX, FIX the current PvMP. There's no point in adding another PvP method.
    After trying PvP on test server, IMHO even broken long forgetten creeps suit for PvP better when freeps vs freeps.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SlopranoDark View Post
    I have said this many times now:
    PLEASE SSG, for the love of God, just read through this document and actually make it happen:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    The problem with your document is that already at page 10/66 I have to read about new Creep classes and it goes on until page 48/66, making up more than half of the entire thing. That's just unrealistic and any Developer or reasonable person will stop reading right there. It's a cool idea, but will ultimately never happen. Let's focus on realistic, reasonable changes.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    79
    Does anyone actually think SSG cares if their customers don't like an update?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiyafar View Post
    Does anyone actually think SSG cares if their customers don't like an update?
    If they don't care, why they need 2 test servers? Also, this is NOT an update, because it don't have any affect on other servers

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenirion View Post
    The problem with your document is that already at page 10/66 I have to read about new Creep classes and it goes on until page 48/66, making up more than half of the entire thing. That's just unrealistic and any Developer or reasonable person will stop reading right there. It's a cool idea, but will ultimately never happen. Let's focus on realistic, reasonable changes.
    Well you could also scroll past those. But I suppose I could add them at the bottom?
    The reason why it takes up so much space is because class designs simply do. I get your point though, will make sure the classes will be at the bottom.
    Start customizing your vital here! PvMP could use some love!
    Join the discussion

  15. #15
    I think it's a tad disingenuous to say no one asked for this. I haven't taken an interest in PvMP for a long time. A lot of people I know have no interest in the moors anymore. But they're excited for this server. The idea of pvp'ing all over Eriador is exciting and interesting. PvMP by nature is almost impossible to balance. Non mirror classes, One side F2P, one side not. Trait trees for one side none for the other. Gear for one side. Etc. it goes on. And with a reduced dev team it doesn't make sense to pour resources into balancing something that by its nature will always struggle to be balanced. If the tournament of the twins works it would be a much easier and lower maintenance PvP system to balance. And fighting all over the map is something that interests and excites me. And I'm not alone with that.
    It sucks what's happened to PvMP. But it's unrealistic to expect resources beyond the usual Morale/ratings buff every expansion.

    (Retired... Maybe un-retired?) Arkenstone: Immanitas R12 Burg, Gorbat R12 Reaver, Sueahpro R11 Mini, Falsified R9 RK, -The Blood Hand
    Crickhollow: Orphluk R9 Warg, Orphelun-1 R8 RK. -The Blood Hand.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    I think it's a tad disingenuous to say no one asked for this. I haven't taken an interest in PvMP for a long time. A lot of people I know have no interest in the moors anymore. But they're excited for this server. The idea of pvp'ing all over Eriador is exciting and interesting. PvMP by nature is almost impossible to balance. Non mirror classes, One side F2P, one side not. Trait trees for one side none for the other. Gear for one side. Etc. it goes on. And with a reduced dev team it doesn't make sense to pour resources into balancing something that by its nature will always struggle to be balanced. If the tournament of the twins works it would be a much easier and lower maintenance PvP system to balance. And fighting all over the map is something that interests and excites me. And I'm not alone with that.
    It sucks what's happened to PvMP. But it's unrealistic to expect resources beyond the usual Morale/ratings buff every expansion.
    Some MMOs (WoW, Age of Conan, Archage) have seasoned servers when you must reach some goals in limited amount of time to get rewards. Nothing new from SSG, they just follow poppular trend like they doing it with Legendary Servers

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    174

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    I think it's a tad disingenuous to say no one asked for this. I haven't taken an interest in PvMP for a long time. A lot of people I know have no interest in the moors anymore. But they're excited for this server. The idea of pvp'ing all over Eriador is exciting and interesting. PvMP by nature is almost impossible to balance. Non mirror classes, One side F2P, one side not. Trait trees for one side none for the other. Gear for one side. Etc. it goes on. And with a reduced dev team it doesn't make sense to pour resources into balancing something that by its nature will always struggle to be balanced. If the tournament of the twins works it would be a much easier and lower maintenance PvP system to balance. And fighting all over the map is something that interests and excites me. And I'm not alone with that.
    It sucks what's happened to PvMP. But it's unrealistic to expect resources beyond the usual Morale/ratings buff every expansion.
    I disagree with this completely.

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    I haven't taken an interest in PvMP for a long time. A lot of people I know have no interest in the moors anymore.
    First of all, I'm sure the reason why you haven't taken any interest in PvMP this long is because the game mode has been ignored and abandoned.
    This is exactly why people think it's a bad, unbalanced gamemode. Which is why it's time to fix it.

    There's, again, zero reason to add another way of PvP which isn't even accurate in this large scale. Why would the Free Peoples fight each other instead of the true enemy (Sauron)?

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    But they're excited for this server. The idea of pvp'ing all over Eriador is exciting and interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    And fighting all over the map is something that interests and excites me. And I'm not alone with that.
    The exact same could be achieved with PvMP. This has been suggested so many times but it has never been even considered. And rightfully so.
    I mean, adding in PvP all over the world is going to make balancing 10 times harder. What about low-levelled players VS high levelled players? What about gear? What about people who are VIP vs those who are F2P? What about people with billions of dollars to spend VS those who don't? And those are just a few obvious examples.
    Having a map, like the Ettenmoors or Osgiliath even, is 10 times easier to balance: it's just never been done for no reason.

    Now I know it's a separate server and apparently it's temporary (better hope it stays that way). But that means other problems arise on different areas.

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    PvMP by nature is almost impossible to balance. Non mirror classes, One side F2P, one side not. Trait trees for one side none for the other. Gear for one side.
    No, PvMP is not impossible to be balanced. The only reason why it may seem so is because it has never been kept updated with the rest. It's been neglected, that's why. If the developer team is able to make freeps fight freeps (which will also require precise balancing, resources and probably more), then it's most definitely possible to resolve the issues in PvMP.
    First of all, I'm pretty sure non-mirror classes are not a necessity to make it work. There must be games out there that only have a few, if not none at all, mirror-classes. If you can come up with a class that simply works fine then why would it have to be an exact mirror of another?
    And even if it needs to be a mirror, then simply make that? It's not too difficult to mirror a character, especially for experienced developers.
    Secondly, the fact that one side is F2P and the other is not is not a major problem as to why the Ettenmoors isn't working. Both sides require spending or VIP in order to play to the max. If you start as a F2P and never bought anything, you need to purchase almost every trait-slot in Monster Play. It's much more efficient (and possibly cheaper) to just go ahead and purchase VIP anyway.
    Thirdly, they could have just made a trait tree for Monster Play as well when they introduced it to the Free Peoples. However, this didn't happen. Again, because it's a neglected game mode that is extremely underrated. Just introduce trait trees for Monster Play and that issue is easily resolved.
    Same counts for gear. Both creeps and freeps are level 130 so the difference between armour sets shouldn't be too different anyway in terms of stats.

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    And with a reduced dev team it doesn't make sense to pour resources into balancing something that by its nature will always struggle to be balanced.
    I hope you are aware of the fact SSG has about 500 employees?
    If you have a LinkedIn account, you can check it.

    People always doubt SSG but I'm sure that's just underestimation. They definitely have the capabilities, they just are not using it (yet).
    Start customizing your vital here! PvMP could use some love!
    Join the discussion

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Some MMOs (WoW, Age of Conan, Archage) have seasoned servers when you must reach some goals in limited amount of time to get rewards. Nothing new from SSG, they just follow poppular trend like they doing it with Legendary Servers
    Legendary Servers are really only populated with people that have a long-term, if not life-time, VIP. I joined Ithil earlier on to see if there'd be activity, and even World chat was dead.
    Why would you play on a secluded server when you can achieve the same content on the free ones with more people? The only reason I'd see myself play on Legendary Servers is for the portrait frames you get. But even that did not convince me to play as much there.
    Start customizing your vital here! PvMP could use some love!
    Join the discussion

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    986
    I disagree, this could be WAY more fun that the boring PVMP zone! If they just give a -30% outgoing damage to players this server could be insanely fun.. I have done a lot of spars at level 50, and it's better balanced than the horrible PVMP. Even if they fix PVMP, we are still stuck on the boring ettenmoors map which suck.

    Also, if players does less damage, the landscape will be more challenging as well.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    I disagree, this could be WAY more fun that the boring PVMP zone! If they just give a -30% outgoing damage to players this server could be insanely fun.. I have done a lot of spars at level 50, and it's better balanced than the horrible PVMP. Even if they fix PVMP, we are still stuck on the boring ettenmoors map which suck.

    Also, if players does less damage, the landscape will be more challenging as well.
    It's absolutely not balanced better than in PvMP by any stretch of the imagination.
    Sure, creeps are ancient classes that have been neglected and sometimes abused over the years, they are sluggish, outdated and in DESPERATE need of an upgrade, freeps are absolutely more powerful... But from my experience with this freep vs freep system, it has made me really appreciate my creeps more.
    At least fights last a couple seconds longer in the moors, you don't get oneshotting everywhere, as flawed as PvMP is, at least you can have a group vs group fight without it being completely ended within seconds with a couple of lucky crit AOEs because essentially, creeps are controllable NPCs and have higher morale pools which suggests this.
    Freeps are designed to engage monsters with more morale and far weaker attacks, freep healing also goes by this system, so as a healer, trying to heal a group of freeps in a larger fight or even just one against another will be a very difficult task, there has been no balancing at all and at the moment it's almost unplayable, fights will depend on who attacks first at this rate...
    Also, this is my opinion at least, I find creep classes to be quite compelling, I find blackarrows and wargs to be more interesting to play than burgs and hunters and it is a shame that creep classes aren't given some attention.

    However...
    I do agree that they should give an outgoing damage (or incoming damage reduction or however they'd do it) to make the fights longer for the Challenge League server. And now that I think of it, at least one faction won't be balanced to be better than the other, the only risk here is that one side is chosen more than the other (have we polled people whether they prefer the colour red over blue yet?)

    I think that yes, this server has the potential to be really interesting, it'll be a unique play through vanilla content, it typically takes on the issues that every MMORPG has when it comes to open world pvp, the stealth class will be king and people will find ways to cheese the system...
    This server is doomed to fail unless adequate measures are put in place to at least address some of the major issues with player vs player combat.

    We must also consider that most fights won't be at max level, I reckon a lot of players will drop off before they see level 40, and while most fights in the vast continent of Eriador will probably be random encounters of 1 or 2 other players, groups will naturally roam and dominate everything, so I believe that some balancing will need to be done with consideration to group vs group combat.
    I don't have the answers, it seems an immense task to balance a system that has NEVER been designed in mind with freep vs freep in mind. All skills and damage ratings are essentially designed to fight enemies with larger morale pools and much weaker attacks that are almost always simple autoattacks.
    I'm cautiously optimistic, reasonably we have several more balance passes to go through and I wonder if incoming damage reductions could help. Increasing morale pools wouldn't work, some skills (like burglar's touch and go) heals for a percentage of morale and would be even more insane than it is now.
    I'm just spitballing at this point, but maybe they could also change how some skills work against other players for this server, OP panic skills could be abused, burglars again are the common culprit here.
    And more work needs to be done regarding exploits and system abuse. Graveyards are going to be camped just for the trolling value, even if killing something grants no points, not everyone will be playing this server for competitive deeding...

    TLDR, your suggestion might just work, but make no mistake, this is far less balanced than PvMP and risks being a mindless cluster**** unless care is put into how things will work regarding player vs player combat.
    -Askelin: 130 Warden who has a bear for a wife.
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    The last implicit purveyors of premium meats since 26/12/17

    ~~~Get to it maggot! Or I'll send you to the Sofa Pits!~~~

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Askelin View Post
    It's absolutely not balanced better than in PvMP by any stretch of the imagination.
    Sure, creeps are ancient classes that have been neglected and sometimes abused over the years, they are sluggish, outdated and in DESPERATE need of an upgrade, freeps are absolutely more powerful... But from my experience with this freep vs freep system, it has made me really appreciate my creeps more.
    At least fights last a couple seconds longer in the moors, you don't get oneshotting everywhere, as flawed as PvMP is, at least you can have a group vs group fight without it being completely ended within seconds with a couple of lucky crit AOEs because essentially, creeps are controllable NPCs and have higher morale pools which suggests this.
    Freeps are designed to engage monsters with more morale and far weaker attacks, freep healing also goes by this system, so as a healer, trying to heal a group of freeps in a larger fight or even just one against another will be a very difficult task, there has been no balancing at all and at the moment it's almost unplayable, fights will depend on who attacks first at this rate...
    Also, this is my opinion at least, I find creep classes to be quite compelling, I find blackarrows and wargs to be more interesting to play than burgs and hunters and it is a shame that creep classes aren't given some attention.

    However...
    I do agree that they should give an outgoing damage (or incoming damage reduction or however they'd do it) to make the fights longer for the Challenge League server. And now that I think of it, at least one faction won't be balanced to be better than the other, the only risk here is that one side is chosen more than the other (have we polled people whether they prefer the colour red over blue yet?)

    I think that yes, this server has the potential to be really interesting, it'll be a unique play through vanilla content, it typically takes on the issues that every MMORPG has when it comes to open world pvp, the stealth class will be king and people will find ways to cheese the system...
    This server is doomed to fail unless adequate measures are put in place to at least address some of the major issues with player vs player combat.

    We must also consider that most fights won't be at max level, I reckon a lot of players will drop off before they see level 40, and while most fights in the vast continent of Eriador will probably be random encounters of 1 or 2 other players, groups will naturally roam and dominate everything, so I believe that some balancing will need to be done with consideration to group vs group combat.
    I don't have the answers, it seems an immense task to balance a system that has NEVER been designed in mind with freep vs freep in mind. All skills and damage ratings are essentially designed to fight enemies with larger morale pools and much weaker attacks that are almost always simple autoattacks.
    I'm cautiously optimistic, reasonably we have several more balance passes to go through and I wonder if incoming damage reductions could help. Increasing morale pools wouldn't work, some skills (like burglar's touch and go) heals for a percentage of morale and would be even more insane than it is now.
    I'm just spitballing at this point, but maybe they could also change how some skills work against other players for this server, OP panic skills could be abused, burglars again are the common culprit here.
    And more work needs to be done regarding exploits and system abuse. Graveyards are going to be camped just for the trolling value, even if killing something grants no points, not everyone will be playing this server for competitive deeding...

    TLDR, your suggestion might just work, but make no mistake, this is far less balanced than PvMP and risks being a mindless cluster**** unless care is put into how things will work regarding player vs player combat.
    Either way, even if they manage to balance the PVMP its still boring. It's only zerg fest, the bigger side wins. No true goal, and an old ranking system that is bull****** for new players. The system is garbage, this could be something fresh. PVMP was fun 2007-2011, once ROI got released it went down hill. Thats when the freed damage and monster morale got out of hand.

    Also, as an RK with almost full raid gear i can get 1 shot in ettens.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Moneyforever View Post
    I think it's a tad disingenuous to say no one asked for this. I haven't taken an interest in PvMP for a long time. A lot of people I know have no interest in the moors anymore. But they're excited for this server. The idea of pvp'ing all over Eriador is exciting and interesting. PvMP by nature is almost impossible to balance. Non mirror classes, One side F2P, one side not. Trait trees for one side none for the other. Gear for one side. Etc. it goes on. And with a reduced dev team it doesn't make sense to pour resources into balancing something that by its nature will always struggle to be balanced. If the tournament of the twins works it would be a much easier and lower maintenance PvP system to balance. And fighting all over the map is something that interests and excites me. And I'm not alone with that.
    It sucks what's happened to PvMP. But it's unrealistic to expect resources beyond the usual Morale/ratings buff every expansion.
    Intriguing PoV you have:
    "It's sad that SSG couldn't care less about PvMP and has been doing so for years, but I'm all in for freep vs. freep PvP for which SSG suddenly seems to have found time and resources, but without wasting a single though about how not even half of the class reworks have been done so far".


    I couldn't care less about a PvP server, but if a company utterly fails like SSG to even keep their normal servers stable while not bothering at all with bug fixes how on earth could they even dare to waste resources for a different server?
    Why would anyone that isn't interested in PvP or cares about how close to nothing SSG is doing to stabilize the normal server even be near this new server?

    It reeks of utter desperation if SSG thinks a time-limited PvP server could somehow deflect the customer's gaze away from the garbage can that is Lotro and its servers and to rake in money.
    Any sane person would first fix all those issues which affect large portions of the customer base and get proper, stable servers, right?
    Last edited by Tiyafar; May 24 2020 at 04:47 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    174

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    Either way, even if they manage to balance the PVMP its still boring. It's only zerg fest, the bigger side wins. No true goal, and an old ranking system that is bull****** for new players. The system is garbage, this could be something fresh. PVMP was fun 2007-2011, once ROI got released it went down hill. Thats when the freed damage and monster morale got out of hand.

    Also, as an RK with almost full raid gear i can get 1 shot in ettens.
    Do we all really have to repeat ourselves every time?
    Everyone disagreeing so far has SOLELY based their arguments on the current state of the Ettenmoors which is EXACTLY WHY we're here seriously asking for PvMP to be fixed. We all know it's not interesting right now, because it's been turned down for so long.
    Not to be rude, but everyone here who will or already has based their arguments on the current PvMP situation will have their arguments immediately invalidated by me.

    Read through the posts and think for a second: we can ALL agree PvMP is currently in a dire state. Most of us here agree that this new PvP-server is deemed to fail and that it's completely unnecessary because we already have a PvP zone which, unfortunately, has been neglected for years. Hence we are gathering to express our feelings about PvMP because it is time to FINALLY give it the love it deserved.

    If PvMP had gotten some frequent, interesting updates, I'm sure this whole conversation wouldn't even be necessary and nobody would care whether or not the new PvP server would be a thing.
    Start customizing your vital here! PvMP could use some love!
    Join the discussion

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SlopranoDark View Post

    If PvMP had gotten some frequent, interesting updates, I'm sure this whole conversation wouldn't even be necessary and nobody would care whether or not the new PvP server would be a thing.
    I have to disagree. The new PvP server could be interesting, fun and actually successful if implemented well. That's the major issue here. I just don't see it happening. Also it's supposed to be temporary, while PvMP is permanent. I'd rather have them spend their resources on permanent game features.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenirion View Post
    I have to disagree. The new PvP server could be interesting, fun and actually successful if implemented well. That's the major issue here. I just don't see it happening. Also it's supposed to be temporary, while PvMP is permanent. I'd rather have them spend their resources on permanent game features.
    With 'nobody would care' I basically meant that nobody would be having to argue right now and defend PvMP. I suppose the PvP server could be fun, but PvMP could've been a great example of how PvP should be in Lotro. They could've used PvMP to analyse things and use that as part of a research for this PvP server, to make it something great.

    But so far, they have no research to base the PvP on because PvMP has long been neglected and there's no other form of PvP in Lotro yet. It's a great misser.
    Start customizing your vital here! PvMP could use some love!
    Join the discussion

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload