We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Link or transcript to weekly Cord of the Rings

I see people on the forums complain about no communication a lot. And if you look at the forums, there isn't a lot there. Not everyone knows about (or if they do, catches it on) the weekly stream. It would help answer questions and make people feel they are being listened to a bit more, I would hope. Just a thought, anyway!
    Crickhollow server: Argwerael (LM 130), Leofcwyn (Champ 87), Pearblossom (Mini 91), Gwilithil (Hunter 58), Verdani (Beorning, 40), Mapleblossom (Burg 37), Astornaith (Warden 28)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamita View Post
    I see people on the forums complain about no communication a lot. And if you look at the forums, there isn't a lot there. Not everyone knows about (or if they do, catches it on) the weekly stream. It would help answer questions and make people feel they are being listened to a bit more, I would hope. Just a thought, anyway!
    +1 for a transcript of the stream or better still, a summary of the key information and the Q and A. I rarely have chance to sit and watch the video (and it can be a bit dull tbh), but would still like to keep up with the news.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

I second the transcript copy of +Cord of the Rings because there are people who cannot hear anything.
    Like me, I am hard of hearing. Not completely deaf, I just cannot pick up on what anyone says on microphone.
    It just sounds like a transmission receiver cutting out and/or static.

There's this French site forums.jeuxonline.info which has transscripts of Cord of the Rings, in French of course, but with a translating program you can get mostly what they are writing.
    There's some good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    I second the transcript copy of +Cord of the Rings because there are people who cannot hear anything.
    Like me, I am hard of hearing. Not completely deaf, I just cannot pick up on what anyone says on microphone.
    It just sounds like a transmission receiver cutting out and/or static.
    This is exactly my situation as well. & i have done the same request as the OP before. It is not ok that a player have to rely on yet another player to get the official data that the players should get straight SSG. SSG please put on written anything that is official. Not all your players are blessed with good hearing or can hear anything at all.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Highlights of the Q&A sections have been asked so many times already, I don't think it is ever going to happen.

A link is provided in the weekly Beacon though.

Upvoted.

I do not engage voice chat in any game I play.
    I despise YouTube "how to" videos.
    I do not want to listen to a Dev tell me game news.

Please give us a text based summary of these chats in the official game channels!
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

I should maybe learn to paraphrase but enjoy.
    Note: Not all of Cords responses have their question counter-part that prompted his response, either because he didn't repeat the asked question or because it wasn't on Twitch (Really not going to through all of the Youtube and Facebook video to look for everything everyone said - you can kind of get the gist of what the question being asked was from the response).

+Cord of the Rings 22/05/2020

“We’ve talked quite a bit about Runekeepers in recent streams, and will continue to do so, I'm not sure specifically what issue on Runekeeper you’d like me to address I know that we had done some deliberate work to bring them more aligned with where they need to be power-wise in the most recent patches and had said that we would be working to evaluate the crit bug fix to see if we need to do further work on that I know that that work is ongoing in terms of evaluation. I think that is mostly where we are at in terms of Runkeepers. If there’s some more that you need me to answer perhaps, I can do so”.

“Let me get straight to the news, first up, we have a couple of big pieces of news here but I actually wanted to start with Bullroarer, because this week on Bullroarer we had a pretty cool thing that went down we debuted our Tournament of the Twins time-limited event server for preview on bullroarer this week, that preview has now ended, but for those of you that missed it I thought I’d go through a little bit and what’s the plan”.

BR U26.2 Release Notes: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...65#post8009365

“We have not yet announced an official start date for the tournament of the twins but you can expect it to be next month in terms of exact timings, stay tuned it’ll probably be a little bit of a surprise, which is the intention. We want everyone to start in the same place, this is going to be a fresh server, this is going to be a new server, and you’ll be creating characters on that server similar to the legendary worlds where you can’t transfer your characters to it. The timing is going to be announced a little bit later as we get closer to the event, but it got its first bullroarer preview, we found a few bugs and things to wok on an were doing that wok right now and that is going to help determine our timings for the actual place of it”.

"We have not announced whether the server is VIP only, I think the answer is yes, but stay tuned on that".

Runekeeper DPS is so bad they’re no longer viable in higher tiers.
    +Cord: That is incorrect, but I appreciate the feedback.

Will this server have any impact on the live server, such as titles and what have you?
    +Cord: Again, we're going to be saving most of the details for a page that we're creating, really to provide more information, granular information about it, last I heard, there was a plan for something like that, but I don’t know where we ended up on that, however.

“The other big piece of news, I guess, piece o’ news number two, is we managed to get our world transfer re-opened this week, and I know that’s a long time coming, and its something that players… I don’t know, what’s a more rage worthy version of anxious? (laughs), whatever that is, has been going on, but uh, people wanted them back, and so we have been able to bring that live this week, and have some big changes in place in regard to it”.

Character and Shared Items transfer and FAQ:
    https://www.lotro.com/en/worldtransfer

“The big change right now is that currently, we are not available to offer transfers from the older closed worlds to the active game worlds although we do intend to reintroduce those in the future, that was one of kind of the big pieces that have held up this process a bit is that the older game worlds are not yet migrated to our new game databases, so we’re not able to offer those right now, although work is underway among our technical operations people and engineers to be able to offer that to you, and as soon as we know more we will be able to let you know. We do plan to offer that again, AND it will be free, but we are not yet in a position to do that, we ultimately had to make a judgement call do we release it without the older game worlds or do we just wait for however long it's going to take to bring that to you, and we opted for the former, so, sorry folks who are on the closed game worlds and want to transfer to the live worlds, we will be bringing that to you but just not yet”.

"Additionally, if you want to do extraneous shared item transfers that will cost you 495LP that is a big change, and I know that there was an announcement, what, seven years or so ago saying that it would be free, and it had been free for some time, but because it was free it was also heavily exploited and abused, and that is why it is no longer free. So, unfortunately, when we’re looking at what to do with Shared item transfer we quickly realised it was not a viable option to offer shared item transfers for free, even if we knew there was going to be a lot of player ‘want’ for it to remain free, so we had to make a pretty big judgement call there, and, say, well, do we want shared transfer back, and if the answer is yes, it can no longer be free that’s the long and short of it. Unfortunately due to extremely high levels of abuse and exploits we just had to do that. However, it is free if you are doing a character transfer".

“Additionally we are doing another freebie, if you want to go from Ithil to Anor, that caused some raised eyebrows as well over the past 24 hours, so let me talk a little bit about what the plan is there, we have not announced a plan to close Ithil. Ithil is going to be up for the foreseeable future that we’re aware of, we’ve also had really ever since Ithil was debuted, a long standing request from people on there to be able to transfer their characters to Anor for free, the way this worked was when the Legendary worlds first debuted, there was a huge land rush, and that prompted us to despite, really, some qualifications that we had to open up a second game world, to deal with that initial game rush, however, over time, populations have stabilised, and we frankly don’t have a need for two legendary game worlds at this time, anyone who has been playing on Ithil will know it’s a tiny fraction of the population of Anor, I mean, I cant give numbers, but it’s a very tiny population on Ithil, and there’s a bunch of players that have long wanted to transfer to Anor without having to pay for it, so we’re going to accommodate that, what does that mean for the future of Ithil, harshly that will be determined by you, if we see quote “basically everyone”, transfer to Anor for free, that will help inform our decision making, if we see people decide not to do that, and the population of Ithil remains stable, then, that will inform us about future decision making as well, but we wanted to offer that as an option to see how it would work, to see if that would consolidate the populations and if so, that would help inform us about what to do for Ithil, so that’s the state of Ithil”.

“We are exploring the possibility of being able to take your character from a legendary world to a non-legendary world, but again, that was one of the things that was holding up the process so we’ve decided to stick with things as it is and right now it is not possible to transfer to Anor or Ithil to a non-legendary game world”.

Will players who previously transferred items for free before transfers went down be able to transfer back for free as well?
    +Cord: Correct, those who exploited the free transfer system will not be able to get their stuff back for free on the regular game worlds, and those who did not exploit but found themselves in the unfortunate position of having stuff for some reason on a world they don’t play, will also not be able to transfer those items for free.

More safe spots such as major quest towns?
    +Cord: That is something that we will be taking a look at based on Bullroarer feedback, I assume you may have posted that suggestion to the Bullroarer forums, but if not, make sure your voice is heard on that, it sounds like something we could potentially do if there was enough interest in it.

Is there an official list of the most populated Servers?
    +Cord: No. We do not talk about players numbers. There are some kind of ways to get that information, just ask the community, they’d be happy to tell you which servers have the most peeps on it, in general, most of the servers are about the same.

Why does SSG not fix the actual PvMP on live servers?
    +Cord: So, uh, why do we not actually fix the PvMP, is, because, uh, we were focusing on other player wants at the time, such as class balance, we’ve had a lot of players asking for us to do work on class balance, we are in the process of doing that work, we’ve also been working on this Tournament of the Twins server, which involves ‘some’ PvMP work. I do expect and I know that the team would like to do PvMP balance work in the future, it's just a matter of fitting the time for that work in with other competing priorities, I recognise that PvMP has long not been in a place where some of the most engaged PvMPers would like it to be, hopefully, we can bring it more into a place where you’d like it in the future.

When will Tier 5 of the new raid be fixed?
    +Cord: We have got a small patch set for next week that is set to include some work on Remmorchant along with a handful of other bug fixes.

Bit Later on in the stream…
    +Cord: Actually, I’m not seeing Remmorchant in next weeks patch notes, I’ve only done an initial look at some of the notes here and that was yesterday afternoon, we do have some stuff going into the Chamber of Shadows, that prevented the adds [on the boss] from engaging with players, [something] that was preventing that tier 3 completion deed from being awarded, fixed an issue that rarely prevented players from being able to retreat after defeating the Shadowed King, the adds in the encounter will now de-spawn when the Shadowed King now enters his death drama, the Shadowed King should no longer be able to run out of power and be unable to use his attacks (oops!), and that is what I have currently for the quest stuff rather than for Remmorchant, hopefully the Remmorchant stuff will be in a later patch(?).

I can't find one of the King plaques in Minas Tirith. I looked on a couple of servers and it's not there on any of them. I'm curious if anyone else has seen the same thing.
    +Cord: I thought I saw some folks from the LOTRO team looking into that exact issue yesterday, unfortunately, I don’t remember where they ended up, I think it’s a story-gating thing, I’m going off the top of my head here, I could be completely wrong, I think the issue is that you need to go to either pre or post-battle Minas Tirith, I think that’s the answer, but I could be wrong.

How is levelling handled (in reference to the Tournament of the Twins server)?
    +Cord: It should just be levelling up as regular, by completing deeds you’re largely doing things that will get you XP, and you’ll be levelling up by doing that and getting benefit for the tournament of the twins. There is nothing stopping you from running regular quests, however, remember that instances aren’t not going to be offering XP specifically on the Tournament of the Twins server. So, there should be plenty of opportunity to level up your characters as you need to.

Since when has LOTRO open-world PVP?
    +Cord: Not yet! But coming soon on a singular event server! The regular game worlds will not have open-world PVP.

Is it possible that lua.api will be updated to allow plugins to see the contents of carry-alls?
    +Cord: That sounds like an unlikely thing due to the tech involved, but, that would indeed be lovely.

Can I clarify what SSG means by Runekeeper is where it’s supposed to be?
    +Cord: We generally don’t say things like that. I would say that we did need to bring Runeekeper down because the general widespread understanding was that Runekeepers were significant outliers in terms of DPS and it was causing all sorts of game balance problems. So, we had to do a little bit of work there to fix the Fate/Crit bug that was causing them to be even more OP than they should have been. When we did do that work we specified that (And that work was not that long ago) we would be doing additional work to evaluate the halo impacts of that bug fix and that is something that you will see reflected in the release notes in the future based on what needs to be done in accordance with that. But in terms of where we’re supposed to be, we prefer generally for the community to tell us where they want the classes to be and then we make informed decisions based not just on that but on various design factors, and, the needs of wider gameplay.

“If you sell your account, that account will be banned, do not buy someone’s sold account please”.

What are we going to do about all our recent ‘free-stuff’ (in reference to the current free-content promotion in relation to the COVID-19 health crisis)?
    +Cord: A question that we too have been asking ourselves, I don’t have anything to announce today, sorry. We would love to be in a position to make an announcement as well, but I do think that you can expect some news in the near future regarding what we intend to do about our free period which has been a clear success for both us and for the community.

“I have not heard of plans to add more crafting station functional decorations to the LOTRO store, I do think we’re going to see some level of ‘that’ with Rohan housing, I know that the community is already aware that we’re doing some kind of Stable work regarding that, I know that that is something that is semi-functional I guess you could describe it, but in terms of straight-up crafting altars, assuming you’d be interested I guess it makes business sense, and game sense, so never say never on that, but nothing to announce short term on that, sorry”.

“Yes, I did say that the Tournament of the Twin’s server will have open-world PVP, while working on your deeds. We did talk about this earlier, but, the way it works is you’re going to talk to one of the twins, and then side with that faction and players of the other faction are going to be game for competition on open-world PVP on that particular server, which is going to be a time-limited server, its an event server”.

Is there going to be more Gondor themed cosmetics coming with the upcoming Wedding event?
    +Cord: Yes….? We are definitely working on wedding-themed cosmetics. I would imagine that some of that is going to probably align with what people would describe as Gondor themed, but it’s going to be wider than that, but we definitely have a whole bunch of cosmetics and other plans planned for the wedding.

What happens when the event is over (in relation to the Tournament of the Twins)?
    +Cord: So, there’ll be a leader board, that leader board will get published, and the rest really is up in the air at the moment. There might be plans to allow people to transfer their characters on that server to the normal game worlds when the event ends followed by a database wipe, we may also choose to let you leave your characters there for the next time around and then maybe up it to like 100 or something like that, but I don’t know exactly what the plans are other than to say that it is something that we will address prior to going live with the server.

It’s not mentioned, but will there be a time-out or temporary on-off switch for PVP?
    +Cord: There is not a temporary on-off switch in terms of setting your character to basically be immune from being part of the event whilst on the event server. However we do have spawn-point protections where you will be invulnerable to the other side for a short period of time after you have been defeated.

“We have no plans to do something like the “One Cloak Fund”, which is a fundraising object in-game, I was there back in the day during that process and the unfortunate reality is, the way that our game works, with muddied free points and needing to assign value based on points, we ran into all sorts of legal headaches trying to do that “One Cloak Fund”, so what turbine and WB ended up doing at the time was just saying, alright, there’s no way we can make the lawyers happy in terms of an item you buy using Lotro Points and then associating that with a monetary value so instead we’re going to make a flat out donation to the “one fund” which I believe was the name of it at the time, and so we basically took what was fundraised for Lotro and for DDO and what we sort of estimated the value of those cloak donations to be and then added a bunch to it and just did a flat monetary donation to it instead. There are some unfortunate difficulties with trying to associate an item that you can sort of buy for free using freely acquired points for like fundraising tax purposes, it ended up being a right pain in the you-know-what I remember back in the day, so we ended up just doing a sort of flat donation. We have been doing a little bit of support we’ve just not been announcing that we’ve just been doing it – in relation to COVID-19, we’re not here for the press on it, we’ve just sort of been doing it”.

A whole update of nothing but cosmetics, yes, please!
    +Cord: Sorry, I know that there is some concern among those that are less into the cosmetic thing that the wedding update will be a little too fluffy for them our hope is to provide content that will be exciting to the widest possible number of players.

Sorry if I missed this, but do we have any info on when Rohan housing will be released?
    +Cord: Rohan housing will be coming later this year, that’s the closest I can give you on the timeline.

“It sucks, but it is the reality that there are significant data conflicts with the old old old Codemasters characters on those old worlds, in particular, that cause significant data corruption and other issues when trying to transfer them to world off their region, it is simply not possible for us to do that due to decisions made back in the early 2000s about how the system works. It sucks, but it is the reality and it will be the reality unless some kind of magic happens long term”.

Cordovan - why is there no data corruption with copying from US AND EU to Bullroarer?
    +Cord: Because you are copying, you are not transferring, there is a big difference to making a copy of a character to a preview world than transferring a character from one world to another. That’s ultimately the difference there, and there are sometimes some issues when you try to transfer those characters to Bullroarer, but because it’s a preview world it’s a little bit less high priority.

"I had reached out to Vastin about Captain Bleeds, there was some kind of nerf without mention in the patch notes, my understanding is that there is some bug going on, but I have not yet had an opportunity to hear back from the team as to what is going on there. As soon as I know that something is going on there, I’ll let you know. Sorry, I don’t have a better answer".

"Legendary worlds are on neither the EU nor US servers because we set them up under modern scenarios because we had propped up new servers for the legendary game worlds".

Any news about the race change token?
    +Cord: Just that, work is ongoing, I saw some check-ins in relation to some bugs with it over the past week and a half or so, and we’re hoping to bring that to you as soon as we can. No ETA to announce though, and it's not going to be anything like next week or something like that, but hopefully, we’ll have race change tokens in the relatively near future that you can purchase from the LOTRO store.

Bit Later on in the stream…
    +Cord: All that I have to say about the race change item is that we continue to work on it, a couple of weeks ago it was actually looking like it might be quite some time before we’re able to introduce them, but then last I heard we’re able to resolve some of the big long-standing issues with it that prevented it from debuting, so we may actually be sooner rather than later on the race-change token. Me giving a date for that sort of thing is probably not wise, work is being done, it hasn’t been shelved or anything like that and hopefully, it should be pretty soon.

“I do not see the likelihood of doing ‘Class’ change tokens, the reason for that is, LOTRO tends to have race and class dependencies in a way that would be difficult to support with a class change token”.

“Guardians I know is a hot topic among our community. Guardians want classwork done for them, hopefully, that is something that the systems team can get to, but I cannot commit them at this time, I know that we intend to do a lot, classwork is never-ending and ongoing”.

“We have no plans to ever bring back Life-time subscriptions”.

“We do not have anything to announce on Catalina compatibility for our game client, that would only happen one of two ways, either apple would begin supporting standard game clients again, like 32-bit clients or WINE for Mac would become functional enough on Catalina that we could incorporate a LOTRO game client through WINE, but until one of those two things happen we have no plan to make separate supported Mac clients for Catalina and beyond”.

“I had heard something from our e-commerce team about bringing other carry-alls to the LOTRO store, I cannot break that news today, but I would expect to see something about that relatively soon”.

“At this point, we don’t have separate geo-located EU and US servers, they’re all on the same servers however those server databases are dating back to however long it is, right, so there are things that back on the old Codemasters servers when they were geo-located in Europe that are fundamentally incompatible with each other than a geo-location issue the legendary servers are in the same place as all of our other servers, its just that they were built in a way that doesn’t have that kind of underlying incompatibility”.

Could we dream of a server located in Europe one day?
    +Cord: I really don’t see us supporting European geo-located servers, sorry.

How long can we (at least) expect the game to continue for? I finally came back after a 9-year break and I don't want it to go away fast.
    +Cord: We have no plans to end things so in terms of how long the game is going to last, as long as the community continue to support it and as long as we are able to pay our rent, which is basically the plan on that”.

Will skipping adds on the Shadowed Cave instance boss encounter be regarded as an exploit?
    +Cord: So, I guess I would say that’s technically an exploit, its really one of those blurry lines between bad gameplay bug and bad player behaviour, none the less my understanding is that it will be fixed in a patch next week. I really don’t see our GMs having the time to sit there worrying about it, but don’t get used to it.

“I actually had planned to ask a question [to the team] about Filbert Fig, but that slipped my mind, so I’ll have to get back to you in the future”.

Cordovan do you know if the devs plan to add more stuff to the new region of the floodfells like new crafted relics or bartering runics for legendary items for northern gulmarks. As an endgame raider there is nothing gearwise to barter apart from a few cosmetics and pets. Any thoughts in adding some stuff to the barterers to the region of the Floodfells?
    +Cord: I think we will be working short-term on new itemisation for our upcoming content rather than going back to the Floodfells but I do know that there is an interest in finding more powerful loot for northern gulmaks, hopefully, that is something we can do in the future, but I don’t know.

Why is the new PVP server just freeps instead of creeps?
    +Cord: I think that really comes down to two things, primarily it has to do with the lore. This competition is happening between Elladan and Elrohir, so it doesn’t necessarily make sense for monster players to align with one of those factions, I think that, as you probably are well aware it also has to do with freep vs creeps balance and in terms of making this event as successful as we can make it. It makes more sense to focus on freep balance than trying to make it work with creep balance as well.

“No news on West Rohan for Legendary Worlds, sorry”.

“So, someone brings up the idea from one of our other big competitors on doing an Item Level ‘squish’, I don’t see us doing that short term, but who knows what the future could bring, there is some benefits to doing that kind of massive systemisation work, I just don’t know that that is in LOTROs future”.

Any news on legendary item revamp?
    +Cord: Nothing to announce further on the Legendary Item revamp other than what was hinted at in the producer's letter and things like that, the kind of out-line about using an essence-like system to renovate it, when we get closer to actually bringing that to the live game worlds we’ll have a whole bunch more information on how LIs are going to work, and what the system will be going forward. It should be later this year, but I don’t have a more specific timeline to provide.

And then not really much else of note after this…
    Last edited by Hephburz-2; May 23 2020 at 07:00 AM.

A thousand thanks to you, Hephburz for that transcript!
    -Askelin: 130 Warden who has a bear for a wife.
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    The last implicit purveyors of premium meats since 26/12/17

~~~Get to it maggot! Or I'll send you to the Sofa Pits!~~~

+1 to Hepburz for this!

I hope you didn’t spend the whole time typing it out??? If so they should pay you in LOTRO points

This is exactly what we need every week. It took me 10 minutes to read instead of an hour to watch a video in which I’d probably miss something (and could be playing the game instead). In today’s age it really should be available from the company for equality and accessibility reasons.

On the plus side, and to Cord’s credit, it is packed full of really useful information, which is a shame for people to miss.

Re-reading this again, this took my eye:

What are we going to do about all our recent ‘free-stuff’ (in reference to the current free-content promotion in relation to the COVID-19 health crisis)?
    +Cord: A question that we too have been asking ourselves, I don’t have anything to announce today, sorry. We would love to be in a position to make an announcement as well, but I do think that you can expect some news in the near future regarding what we intend to do about our free period which has been a clear success for both us and for the community.
    So what does this mean? Does this mean an extension to the free period, or is it implying that some or all content might stay free indefinitely? If it has been a “clear success” then could we see some large-scale changes to the system? And will there be a nice thank you for those who already bought the regions? All speculation I know, but it is an intriguing nugget here...

Quote Originally Posted by Hephburz-2 View Post

Will players who previously transferred items for free before transfers went down be able to transfer back for free as well?
    +Cord: Correct, those who exploited the free transfer system will not be able to get their stuff back for free on the regular game worlds, and those who did not exploit but found themselves in the unfortunate position of having stuff for some reason on a world they don’t play, will also not be able to transfer those items for free.

Can they just please keep the shared storage transfers free and only charge a fee if people want to transfer currency?
    If they don't keep doing shared storage transfers for free then I EXPECT them to give us more storage options.

Clearly their carry-alls are faulty because they don't do exactly what most people have been thinking.

Let's say I tried putting 2.4k Khazad Skarn into a Medium Crafting Carry-all....
    Instead of a stack of 2000 and a stack of 400, I am stuck having to store the stack of 400 in my vault because it wouldn't let me make a 2nd stack of the same type of crafting resource.

This is not what I had expected.
    I wanted to shrink 16,000 skarn (12 stacks) down to 4 stacks so I could actually ease my storage woes.

There is not enough storage available to hold the vast quantity of stuff us hoarders already have.
    (BTW, I only mentioned one crafting resource out of many many others)

Please do something to ease our pain.