We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why Lock People Out?

I was recently bringing up an alt and wanted to do the easy quests in Belfalas Homesteads for some TP and IXP.
    One of them requires visiting different types of houses. I figured it would take 10 minutes.

Why is everyone's house locked to outsiders?? Don't folks realize that you can manage the settings so that people can enter but can not interact with anything? I had to plow through 2 neighborhoods before I could gain entry to each home type.

For those who do not know this, it's under the "character", "house", "permissions" setting.

I thought more people would want to show off their houses. I even check off the "use decorations" for anyone who enters so that they could use my crafting facilities if wanted.

I think it's because Locked is the default setting. I know I don't always think to open mine up. Sure it would be nice to visit people's houses, but not everyone takes that extra step to reset their permissions.

All permissions to the "Everyone" group is set to off by default and IMO opt-in is the correct approach. You can always check what types of houses are available in a certain neighborhood via the housing broker and just tour unoccupied houses to do the quest. That of course can be a problem if *all* the houses of certain type are occupied, but then again, that's a problem with the quest, not the permissions system.

Quote Originally Posted by Occum View Post
    I was recently bringing up an alt and wanted to do the easy quests in Belfalas Homesteads for some TP and IXP.
    One of them requires visiting different types of houses. I figured it would take 10 minutes.

Why is everyone's house locked to outsiders?? Don't folks realize that you can manage the settings so that people can enter but can not interact with anything? I had to plow through 2 neighborhoods before I could gain entry to each home type.

For those who do not know this, it's under the "character", "house", "permissions" setting.

I thought more people would want to show off their houses. I even check off the "use decorations" for anyone who enters so that they could use my crafting facilities if wanted.
    You can visit the houses to finish the quest by speaking with the housing broker in DA. He/she will allow you to tour any type of house without buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Occum View Post

I like to keep my houses open to visitors but some people welcome to have a private space.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    I like to keep my houses open to visitors but some people welcome to have a private space.
    Mine's also open, but I make sure I only open visiting. Folks shouldn't get clumsy and let decoration or chest access be open. That would be painful

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by groucho42 View Post
    Mine's also open, but I make sure I only open visiting. Folks shouldn't get clumsy and let decoration or chest access be open. That would be painful
    Yah, those options i keep disable to everybody but me.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~