We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    What does the group composition look like now? From the story entries (Renfred rules!) it seems like there are:
    3 Beornings (Jarngrimur, Ragmus, and Chizbeorn have all been mentioned; Jarn as bear-heavy, and another as being bear-lite, but no idea about #3)
    1 Burglar
    1 Guardian
    2 Hunters (maybe 3?)
    1 Loremaster
    1 Runekeeper
    1 Warden

I am wondering what would make sense to have when filling out two hypothetical 6-person groups or one hypothetical 12-person raid for Angmar/Moria. Captain would seem to fit, or a Minstrel if not enough of the Runekeeper and Beornings want to heal, or a Champion to bolster the AoE. I don't see another Beorning as likely given how rare I feel that they should be (although it does make sense that they would seek out each others' company outside the Vales), nor an Elf in this part of the world (unless I waited to join in the Trollshaws, at which point they should become much more common).

I have a story framework for a human Captain that I think would work, or that would more or less work for a Minstrel. It doesn't feel right for Champion but I could spend time on thinking about another background. My main hesitancy with trying to RP a Minstrel is that I am not that musical or witty, so I might have trouble pulling it off in the moment. I would probably need to crash course ABC at the least to be able to audibly RP being able to play an instrument in downtime. That might even do me good, but it is something I would have to think about.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Caprice View Post
    What does the group composition look like now? From the story entries (Renfred rules!) it seems like there are:
    3 Beornings (Jarngrimur, Ragmus, and Chizbeorn have all been mentioned; Jarn as bear-heavy, and another as being bear-lite, but no idea about #3)
    1 Burglar
    1 Guardian
    2 Hunters (maybe 3?)
    1 Loremaster
    1 Runekeeper
    1 Warden
    Trebble is a minstrel.

We have a good reason for the bear folk. The reason this is called Bearclaw is because this is a Bearfolk adventure. They are the leaders and organizers, who summoned the rest of us to help. (Trebble was sent by Boulder Chief Meadiwkarke when they were in the Shire to make sure they did not disturb the peace.)

Though the most important criteria for a character should be that one wants to roll play a character of a particular types.
    Last edited by Tiempko; Jun 10 2021 at 12:12 AM.
    Meadowlarke Sweetweed on Landroval. Also nephews and Bounders Ayrhawk, Wrennsong, and Little Meadowlark Sweetweed
    Club Eclair roleplaying group working our way through Volume II. We are currently at Level 60 roleplaying our way through Mirkwood. (Alphred Troute, Hedgerow Shrewburrow). https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-II-Into-Moria
    Club Eclair - The Bearclaws. A newer Club Eclair group that is currently at level 16 in Breeland. (Trebble)

1 Burglar
    1 Guardian
    2 Hunters (maybe 3?)
    1 Loremaster
    1 Runekeeper
    1 Warden

I am wondering what would make sense to have when filling out two hypothetical 6-person groups or one hypothetical 12-person raid for Angmar/Moria. Captain would seem to fit, or a Minstrel if not enough of the Runekeeper and Beornings want to heal, or a Champion to bolster the AoE. I don't see another Beorning as likely given how rare I feel that they should be (although it does make sense that they would seek out each others' company outside the Vales), nor an Elf in this part of the world (unless I waited to join in the Trollshaws, at which point they should become much more common).

I have a story framework for a human Captain that I think would work, or that would more or less work for a Minstrel. It doesn't feel right for Champion but I could spend time on thinking about another background. My main hesitancy with trying to RP a Minstrel is that I am not that musical or witty, so I might have trouble pulling it off in the moment. I would probably need to crash course ABC at the least to be able to audibly RP being able to play an instrument in downtime. That might even do me good, but it is something I would have to think about.

The group has 2 consistent Bears. Ragmus became enamored with the Shire and has been spending his time there.
    2 guardians, Renfred the story teller and Steinnbjorn the “Stone-Bear”.
    Then as was mentioned, Trebble our brave minstrel.
    The rest of the numbers look about right.
    The only classes not represented are champion and captain but wouldn’t say those skill sets are missed. We do pretty well.

As was said just above, I wouldn’t worry about what class will fit so much as what class you would enjoy. Steinnbjorn is the 4th character I’ve used in the group and finally feel like I’ve found the right fit. I’ve tried lore master, captain, beorning, and now guardian. If we had a 2nd group I’d probably bring back Ragmus. We’re only at level 20 so I’d recommend trying different characters and see which you enjoy playing. Not hard to catch up at this point. You can even use more and swap them out. I did that with Club Eclair. It scratched my alt-o-holic itch for a while, until I found the right fit. Since you would be a “stranger” at first, don’t feel any rush in creating a backstory. After a few patrols you’ll find your fit and the character will develop.

1 Burglar
    1 Guardian
    2 Hunters (maybe 3?)
    1 Loremaster
    1 Runekeeper
    1 Warden

My advice, having been "leading" this group for over a real-life year now (which is crazy!), is to pick a race and class that you will enjoy on its own. Play a character that you think you will want to stick with for awhile. Longevity is more important than mechanical advantage. This is not a fast-moving group. Roleplay is more important than combat ability.

Having an interesting character that gives you the opportunity for good interactions with the group will be far more important to your enjoyment and longevity here than any mechanical aspect or group composition. I don't know if I can stress that enough.

Sure, it might be advantageous to the group to have a particular class in certain missions, but it is important to understand that this group is about overcoming those challenges with whatever we have available. Most classes are versatile, and we are slowly, slowly training ourselves to work with a bit more miliary precision, but OOC it absolutely does not matter to me or the rest of the group what class or race you choose as long as you actively participate.

If you want an actual group composition, from the perspective of Jarngrimur, here you go:

Jarngrimur, sometimes too savage for my own liking.

Chizbeorn, a fellow Beorning. Rarely assumes bear form. We all come to terms with our nature differently.

Hamamac and Merrywillow. Hobbit hunters. Small and physically weak, but brave and sharp. Their bows keep him from having to worry too much about protecting them. Hamamac has been travelling with me for a long while. Miss Merrywillow for less, but many Hobbits look similar, so perhaps she has been here for longer. Hamamac fancies himself a wit. Merrywillow seems a bit wide-eyed but curious.

Renfred, a human. Man from some small village in Bree-land. Brave. Has a mace and a shield, I think.

Stummel, the Hobbit lad. I thought he had died.

Zapi and Jyokster. Mad Moria dwarves. They come and go, but are reliable despite their various strangenesses and smells. Chip, the Beaver accompanies Jyokster.

Gilanthuil, the Elf. Well versed in Lore. Seems ancient but perhaps untravelled, or perhaps just detached as some Elves are. Quiet, dependable.

Steinnbjorn the dwarf. Sturdy. The others like him. Not bad for a dwarf. Apparently did a decent job providing leadership while I was away.

Guileborn, a versatile warrior. Can't recall if he is Man or Elf. Seems too loud for an Elf. Known to and by Jyokster, so bears watching. No pun intended.

And of course, Trebble. Bounder of the Shire. High-strung. Easily lost. His dedication is admirable, though. Has grown on me.

I find myself being quite proud of this llittle ragtag group. We get on well, and all of them have proven their worth.

As a trio of bloodied figures stumbled into the pale light, out from the blackened maw of Othrongroth, it seemed that dawn itself had only just fought its way through the grim haze that shrouded the Barrows.

Exhausted, his fur matted with blood and gore, Jarngrimur looked to his two companions: Saxhuld the Dwarf, his massive shield battered and covered in ichor. And Trialla, the Warrior-Maiden, with her trusted herald Hawthorne, who even now was tending to their wounds.

Gaerdring and Gaerthel, the foul twins, and Thadúr the Ravager-- all once again slain... It had seemed impossible.

No one spoke for a long while.

Trialla broke the silence, stating with grim resolve...

"The evil in the Barrows can only be contained, not ended."

---

(( Our 1st wednesday session saw Jarngrimur, Saxhuld, and Trialla run The Maze and Thardur instances in the Great Barrow. It was an interesting group, to say the least. ))

I can second the comments suggesting you should play a character that you'll enjoy without worrying too much about class composition.

I wanted to let the group know that I've had a few things come up the last couple of weeks and once again have a family event this coming Saturday afternoon 6/19 so expect to be absent. I will be back hopefully the following Saturday.

- Chizbeorn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3