We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why did Candaith have to die?

OK, I'm still sad about that Lone-Lands ranger.

Been doing the epics for a second time and just wrapped Rohan quests. Thanks for giving me again Candaith statue. But I want him back!

Quote Originally Posted by SvetPandaren View Post

Been doing the epics for a second time and just wrapped Rohan quests. Thanks for giving me again Candaith statue. But I want him back!
    Wow, could have tagged this with a spoiler alert for all those who haven’t done it...

But yes, this is a shame, and I was really sad when that happened too

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Life is unfair, war is ugly. It was a great move from the developers and it certainly achieved it's goal since you mentioned this.

If I remember it correctly, I read in a thread that about thirty rangers joined in the group that traveled south to bring the banner to Aragorn; but only about half of them would return. I cannot tell where this person found the source of this information; but seeing how Tolkien didn't even exempt the fellowship from losing some of their members, I think that this is correct. Candaith was the first, but definitely not the only one. And some of them did it in a very remarkable way.

Did you already do the battle on the Pelennor fields?

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

That always makes me sad too, especially the cut-scene we get at the end of that part of the epic where you hear him talk. I got the music box with that Lone-Lands music for my house.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Wow, could have tagged this with a spoiler alert for all those who haven’t done it...

But yes, this is a shame, and I was really sad when that happened too
    Its been out for like 4 years AT LEAST, not really a spoiler anymore...

Mirage | Anor
    Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Rimenuir View Post
    Actually, we've had a big influx of new and returning players (who weren't that far along in the epic when they took a break). So probably always good to be careful about not spoiling the great story twists.

I've run out of physical library books and running low on ebooks, so I've been going back to my bookshelves. I've just reread LOTR. Yes, it's clear many of the Rangers died in the battle. That kind of happens in war...

SPOILER ALERT!!!! oops too late
    “Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

I don't mind so much that we had a casualty, but the fact that it was with a Fëanor level of regrettable stupidity. Candaith, you were better than that, until the devs decided you weren't. Now, if Calenglad had been the one to do that, I would have been right on board. But Candaith's inexcusably bad decision, coming at the end (sadly not the end actually) of a huge string of "Rangers as incompetent boobs you need to rescue" storylines, was a thematic disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    I don't mind so much that we had a casualty, but the fact that it was with a Fëanor level of regrettable stupidity. Candaith, you were better than that, until the devs decided you weren't... Candaith's inexcusably bad decision, coming at the end (sadly not the end actually) of a huge string of "Rangers as incompetent boobs you need to rescue" storylines, was a thematic disappointment.

Agree completely. The repeated showing of Rangers as weak and "incompetent boobs" in this game is one of its most frustrating aspects.

Nice thread title for those who haven't done the epic quest and come to visit the lotro forums, Spoilers. And yes it was sad he had to pass such as all things in life that head your way, still good story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimenuir View Post
    It is to new players, not everyone has done the epic quest or played lotro as long as some of us and might be interested in the story.
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Nice thread title for those who haven't done the epic quest and come to visit the lotro forums, Spoilers. And yes it was sad he had to pass such as all things in life that head your way, still good story though.

It is to new players, not everyone has done the epic quest or played lotro as long as some of us and might be interested in the story.
    Nobody complains when its in a lets play or mentioned in world, if it is. Lets be real here, content thats been out for 4-5 years shouldnt be marked for spoilers. Its the same for movies, nobody's gonna be mad when I say they destroy the ring because the books have been out forever and same with the movies.

Mirage | Anor
    Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    But Candaith's inexcusably bad decision, coming at the end (sadly not the end actually) of a huge string of "Rangers as incompetent boobs you need to rescue" storylines, was a thematic disappointment.

For years there's been an ongoing joke among players that the Rangers in the LOTRO Epic storyline are much like the red shirted "disposable crewmen" from the original Star Trek TV series. Not particularly bright, and they just keep dying for almost no reason. While this might be funny (and accurate!) it's made much of the Epic quests almost unplayable for me. It's all just so ridiculous compared to how the Rangers are portrayed in the books.

One glaring exception in my opinion would be Calenglad. He was my favourite ranger due to actually being sensible, smart and never ending up a damsel in distress. Plus, I'm a sucker for unrequited lovers. Lothrandir was pretty cool as well.

What I really have to say though, partly due to them having very similar outfits, I ended up often mixing them up or not remembering who they were. At each playthrough I formulate the proposition of paying more attention but every time I fail to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    If I remember it correctly, I read in a thread that about thirty rangers joined in the group that traveled south to bring the banner to Aragorn; but only about half of them would return.
    In the book, when Halbarad met Aragorn in Rohan, he said that he had thirty Rangers with him, plus the sons of Elrond. So the number of Rangers that started out must be presumed to be larger ... although in the book, no one was mentioned as having fallen along the way.

I cannot tell where this person found the source of this information; but seeing how Tolkien didn't even exempt the fellowship from losing some of their members, I think that this is correct. Candaith was the first, but definitely not the only one. And some of them did it in a very remarkable way.
    As for Candaith, he said it himself: he gave his life for his King, and if anyone had said to him before him, "If you do this, you'll die," he would still have volunteered.

And we get to see him again in the dream sequence, which is always a comfort (I've done it on about ten characters now).
    Last edited by djheydt; Apr 14 2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by Damrod_Freason View Post
    One glaring exception in my opinion would be Calenglad. He was my favourite ranger due to actually being sensible, smart and never ending up a damsel in distress. Plus, I'm a sucker for unrequited lovers. Lothrandir was pretty cool as well.
    But Lothrandir survived! When we see him at the camp of the Grey Company before the recapture of Pelargir, he is still suffering from the effects of the mistreatment he suffered at the hands of Saruman; but we see him again after the Battle of the Pelennor and he seems to be doing better. And somewhat later (I can't remember the exact context at the moment), someone says that he has gone back to Suri-kyla ... and if you go back to Suri-kyla, you'll see him there.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    But Lothrandir survived! When we see him at the camp of the Grey Company before the recapture of Pelargir, he is still suffering from the effects of the mistreatment he suffered at the hands of Saruman; but we see him again after the Battle of the Pelennor and he seems to be doing better. And somewhat later (I can't remember the exact context at the moment), someone says that he has gone back to Suri-kyla ... and if you go back to Suri-kyla, you'll see him there.
    He does indeed return to Suri-kyla, although you'll find members of the Grey Company who died on the journey still scattered throughout Eriador as players might still have old quests to hand in to them. In Lothrandir's case, he genuinely does return as is involved in the Black Book.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I know, I wasn't citing Rangers who died, but Rangers who stroke me for actually being competent at what they do, or at least never having redshirt moments like most others do. Well Lothrandir does get caught and imprisoned in Orthanc but he stays remarkably defiant to the bitter end... And the player character gets caught with him so it's way less embarrassing a situation compared to some other Rangers getting caught left and right.

EDIT: Side note, speaking of characters who survived, I was happy to find [SPOILER]Thrymm Red-Beard alive after the Battle of the Pelennor; he can be seen having a chat with other Rohirrim warriors in the Field of Celebrant. Wildermore story ultimately had a happy ending though it really took long to get there[/SPOILER]

As Guy Fleegman said, "I'm the guy in the episode who dies to prove how serious the situation is. I've gotta get outta here."
    Last edited by SophieTheEnchantress; Apr 17 2020 at 03:06 AM. Reason: The quote is now accurate.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

Yes this was truly a heart breaking moment He was my favorite ranger. But have you finished up to the siege on the black gate yet? If not.........

Quote Originally Posted by Artheyliaslight View Post
    Yes this was truly a heart breaking moment He was my favorite ranger. But have you finished up to the siege on the black gate yet? If not.........
    If not, when you do, you will observe something which, if you had read the books, you would already know about.

Several things, actually. There's the T-word, and then again there's the E-word, which always lifts my heart.

Edit: if you want to know what I'm talking about, whether you've already done the Black Gate or not, PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyllshire View Post
    For years there's been an ongoing joke among players that the Rangers in the LOTRO Epic storyline are much like the red shirted "disposable crewmen" from the original Star Trek TV series. Not particularly bright, and they just keep dying for almost no reason. While this might be funny (and accurate!) it's made much of the Epic quests almost unplayable for me. It's all just so ridiculous compared to how the Rangers are portrayed in the books.
    Actually, it's a different trope. The Rangers were faced with an unfortunate Conservation of Ninjitsu issue. One Ranger is a highly competent warrior and woodsman. 30+ are cannon fodder.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"