We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Sales Tax??!!!

Sales Tax??!!!

I recently made a purchase of LOTRO Points through the In-Game store. The stated price was $199.99. When I looked at my credit card statement, the charge was $213, and the increase was due to "sales tax".

Excuse me? "Sales Tax"? When have we ever been charged sales tax on LOTRO Points purchases?

I have purchased LOTRO points many times over the +10 years I have been playing, and have never been charged sales tax. I submitted a ticket on this issue, and the response was "Can't do anything about sales tax".

I am a little steamed about this. And it may influence my future LOTRO Points purchases. Take note.

Shatter

Might have something to do with the law change a ways back where all internet purchases are now charged sales tax based on your location.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatterbones View Post
    I recently made a purchase of LOTRO Points through the In-Game store. The stated price was $199.99. When I looked at my credit card statement, the charge was $213, and the increase was due to "sales tax".

Excuse me? "Sales Tax"? When have we ever been charged sales tax on LOTRO Points purchases?

I have purchased LOTRO points many times over the +10 years I have been playing, and have never been charged sales tax. I submitted a ticket on this issue, and the response was "Can't do anything about sales tax".

I am a little steamed about this. And it may influence my future LOTRO Points purchases. Take note.

Shatter
    The store tried to add this to my last purchase (UK). However, even though the price was already in pounds, I clicked on the GB flag at the top and it changed the price accordingly - no sales tax!

I wonder if you need to something similar for your own country?

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

As far as I understand it, almost every countrie charge taxes on the internet purchases. For instance my countrie charges 20%. Some companies, like Blizzards, Electronic Arts or Steam have decided to pay taxes for us and we do not see additional charges added during the purchase process (though in many cases these companies just increse prices of thier products). Some companies, like SSG or DBG do it only for certain countries (The USA, The UK, Germany, may be some others) and let the rest of the world pay the taxes themselves.