We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LOTRO Producer's Letter - A Look at 2020

Click here to read it on LOTRO.com or read Sev's letter below:

Greetings! I hope everyone is staying safe!

Before looking ahead, I want to thank our players for traveling with us through Middle-earth in 2019. We ventured into the Anvil of Winterstith, explored historic tales in the Vales of Anduin, and braved Minas Morgul itself with our expansion. The Stout-axe Dwarves freed themselves from the servitude of dark masters, player Virtues saw changes, we updated the Hobbit Presents system, and we completed the Black Book of Mordor storyline.

As we play through our recent 6-man content and our raid into Shelob’s lair, I want to talk about future events and releases we are excited to present to players.

Now that Virtue changes are in place and the Minas Morgul expansion is behind us, we plan to update Legendary Items in 2020. We know players want changes to how these items advance, and to have more opportunity to improve their items in later content. We are also looking at more substantial changes for later in the year. It is important for us that the players feel that their progress on their Legendary Items carries forward into the new system, and we are discussing design changes with that in mind.

Our first update in the late Spring unveils a key theme for 2020: war between the dwarves and Orcs. We will be debuting our new major story-line called "The Legacy of Durin and the Trials of the Dwarves". This story-line will continue throughout the year as we weave toward 2021 and visit the ancient dwarf stronghold of Gundabad. The Legacy of Durin and the Trials of the Dwarves story-line will be free to all players, and our regular updates will both supplement the main story and tell their own tales. Our late Spring update, called Mists of Wilderland, will take players to the Wells of Langflood, where they will join Durin's line to begin the march to retake dwarf lands. In addition, a small 12-person raid will be released in the fall.

In the early summer we will see our first Challenge League, which is a new temporary server that allows players to fight each other for honor, with the defeated required to retreat from the battlefield, rally themselves, and move back into the world to continue the fight. The sons of Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, have begun a discussion with perhaps too much pride, and are arguing about which of them would make the greatest leader and support the greatest heroes. Take up the banner of either Elladan or Elrohir and venture forth to complete Deeds and challenge heroes that align with your rival. Brave players can earn milestones for completing Deeds, and those characters will appear in a special Leader-board. Will you rush to honor your patron by completing Deeds, or will you spend your time challenging rivals?

Also this summer we are inviting you to one of Middle-earth's most historic moments: The wedding of Aragorn and Arwen. Prestigious guests have traveled vast distances to bless the new king, and there is a need for people to support the celebration. Additionally, artisans are hard at work creating their finest goods and fashions for the wedding, and guests can expect to look their best for the event. In addition, we are unveiling a new seasonal festival event for Lord of the Rings Online which commemorates weddings and merriment throughout Middle-earth, featuring a unique festival questing area within Minas Tirith.

In the fall we will see a new type of mega-update, the War of the Three Peaks, which will provide new content for characters of all levels. Durin's line begins war with the Orcs as they prepare to advance to Gundabad. This update continues the Legacy of Durin story-line, but also includes other end-game content. This update will also open up a new area on the front lines of the war that will allow any character regardless of level to come to Durin's aid. While open, players will complete missions, earn favor of both Durin's line and Dwarf artisans and smiths, and support the war effort.

This year we will be adding a new premium housing area to the game in Rohan. Rohan Housing is divided into two new housing neighbourhoods, both located in West Rohan. Rohan Housing also brings with it some new features, such as Stable Hooks and Custom Lighting Hooks!

This fall will also see a new Legendary server! We are looking forward to adding new challenges and gameplay experiences for this new server. In our current vision for this server, Sauron will play a more active role in punishing heroes who defy his will. At times during play, the Eye of Sauron will open, inspiring all the evil in the world to rally and rise to his dark challenge. These enemies will become far more dangerous during this time. However, when the Eye is open, your characters will rise to the challenge and deliver greatly increased damage in defiance of the Dark Lord. Beware when the Eye of Sauron is open! We intend to keep the current Legendary experience going in 2020 as well, and will continue to open up new content on those servers.

Finally, we'll round out the year with an update to the Yuletide festival, with new quests, activities, and rewards.

We're excited for the new year, and we appreciate you taking this journey with us.

Sev~
    Last edited by Cordovan; Apr 06 2020 at 02:32 PM. Reason: minor typo correction
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Lots of good things. Please lift that awful Rohan housing eyesore out of the Westemnet. Move it off the map entirely, everyone is going to port to it anyway. A simple horse stable to it will do.

Sounds like a lot of PvP. I've always liked that PvP was a minor point in this game. People who want real PvP are playing something else anyway.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

I gotta say, I wasn't expecting much, but that all sounds pretty cool!

Several new intriguing world/story based updates all planned. (and tho the new "book" isn't called "epic" it is planned to be free unlike the BBoM, so that's good!)

The "mega update" sounds very cool as well!

The new Legendary server mechanic sounds great- both sides become more dangerous!

The PvP server does not sound great to me, but it does sound completely walled-off and hopefully satisfying to those who crave it. ;-}

Legendary Items got officially acknowledged so... yay.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    My completely amateurish often-LotRO Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/moondog548

Freep VS Freep PVP? while PVMP languishes undeveloped?

in b4 the new challenge server is just freeps mutually 1-shotting each other due to how absurdly high the damage is compared to the size of freep morale pools.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

New legendary Server

Will the new legendary server also be capped at 50 at first and follow the same update-progress as the current one (so ca. 2-4 months per update)?

Not exactly looking forward to any of this except the 2 things I'm sure won't disappoint: the new areas+story-lines and the Yule revamp.

PvP has never been my interest but my policy is not to rain on anyone's parade. So... enjoy (I hope?)

Another LS makes me cringe. Now my own plans for the future on Ithil are shaking and may crumble.

Legendary Items: I'll wait and see.
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

Pretty vague about the PVP, will it mean Monster players will be able to roam the map? Or some kind of new system?

And ofc you didn't adress the biggest issue, Server Performance......

General questions:

1)In general you increase the level cap for any new raid content so since you announce a new raid in the fall of the year is that means that the level cap going to be increased this year or are we going to live the old eras when we had more than 1 raid? will also the raid be followed by 3 or 6mans instances?

2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    In the early summer we will see our first Challenge League, which is a new temporary server that allows players to fight each other for honor, with the defeated required to retreat from the battlefield, rally themselves, and move back into the world to continue the fight
    can we call this a PVP but not a PvMP update? is it gonna be only VIP server?

2)
    he Legacy of Durin and the Trials of the Dwarves story-line will be free to all players
    Do you mean "free" the whole update content or only the epic story line?

3)
    While open, players will complete missions, earn favor of both Durin's line and Dwarf artisans and smiths, and support the war effort.
    Is it going to be another new system that will going to be abandoned in the later updates just like skirmishes/epic battles/alliegance/warsteeds/ etc ???

4) Are we still consinder class balance always on the list in every update?
    Argohald Champion(main), Phokalin Guardian, Aljeza Lore master : The Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana Lore master, Ellinas Guardian Landroval
    Member of old Riddermark family (server)

Most of that great news + confirmation of all late rumors. What I don't like is fact what SSG want to spread their efforts for more servers. Of course, more servers can be good, but a lot of things from original content needs to be fixed. Even some ancient content like Draigoh still bugged. A lot of MM instances still have bugs, like last boss in Shadow Roost throw people and pets high into walls, or famous invisible piles of bones in Deep Barrow. Almost all MM instances still have glitches and looks like they just forget about it and make next step forward. BTW, I don't see them increasing level cap until Gundabad.

Angry

all this is great but still notings abouth hunter and champ damage .why you give so motch more time on rkand burg its great now but hunter is realy sheat slow and low damage ,its my main alt and i still have other class on max lv rk,burg,cappy,lm,warden,champ all is good just hunter and champ is too weak .abouth hunters red tree i got feling thad is miss some skills in rotation after some time anyme on some skills is too slow too ,you reduce on both hunter and champ only things thad was good and true call dps and give favorite too rk and burg .fix thad soon before not be soo late !!!

two years of players showing how annoyed they are with the imbued legendary item system and still, you are figuring out, how to do changes?
    how hard can it be to get an idea what to do, when there have been many already suggested by players?

quite vague... I'd have hoped, that by know, you have something to say about that revamp... input by players could for sure be useful BEFORE everything is set in stone and implemented...
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

can we get "fit " Correctly Managed" proper servers first? your servers even before C19 were in a word piss poor, can we get some sort of proper fix for EU players?

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    two years of players showing how annoyed they are with the imbued legendary item system and still, you are figuring out, how to do changes?
    how hard can it be to get an idea what to do, when there have been many already suggested by players?

quite vague... I'd have hoped, that by know, you have something to say about that revamp... input by players could for sure be useful BEFORE everything is set in stone and implemented...

I could not agree more.

Unbelievable.

I like what is coming soon, also good to see the epic story becoming free once again as it had for many years, I also look forward to new events and missions.
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    Freep VS Freep PVP? while PVMP languishes undeveloped?

in b4 the new challenge server is just freeps mutually 1-shotting each other due to how absurdly high the damage is compared to the size of freep morale pools.
    Agreed, please don't waste time on something new, when you have a feature no other game has. Use the resources to update creep base stats and create pvmp gear for frees.
    Landy Pawpatrol Stalker 7, Horrorbuisness BA 9
    Landy Tridis LM 7, Barnabras Warden 4
    Arkenstone Redrighthand WL 13

Great news! I can't wait to see Framsburg. I hope it will appear at the end of spring!

Exciting stuff! New zones! New stories! Weddings!

Surprised the spring update, including a new zone, will be free for everyone. I expected that to be a new quest pack. But good!

Legendary Item update is long overdue. And hopefully you get it right. #1 issue right now is sources of LI upgrades - scrolls, crystals, titles. Really, all you have to do is add a barter option on every 115+ rep faction for scrolls and crystals, and you've got a sufficient bandaid to last until a major revamp can be done right.

New Legendary Server sounds interesting. Though if you buff all mobs and buff players while the Eye is, will it just cancel out, or will everything basically become group content temporarily? That might be severely limiting if the population isn't sufficient to support it.

A competitive PvP server could be fun. I certainly understand the worry that it might take resources from existing PvMP, which desperately needs attention. But complaints that there's "no place for it" or that it must be "walled off" or "out of sight" are absurd. It's a separate server. Don't login to that server, and you'll never see it.

However, instead of a Freep v Freep competition, I would much rather see an open PvMP server. All players and NPCs set to 50, only contiguous Eriador zones are available (no Ered Luin, no Moors, no Eregion), Freeps start in the Shire, Creeps start in Angmar, all stables unlocked and usable for both sides when not in combat.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone / Landroval / Anor

Quote Originally Posted by torde View Post
    Will the new legendary server also be capped at 50 at first and follow the same update-progress as the current one (so ca. 2-4 months per update)?
    We'll have more to say about the new Legendary World later this year, but expect it to operate with a different set of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKr1eg View Post
    Pretty vague about the PVP, will it mean Monster players will be able to roam the map? Or some kind of new system?

And ofc you didn't adress the biggest issue, Server Performance......
    The Challenge League will not be the same as the PvMP available on the regular game worlds, so consider it a new system. On server performance, it didn't seem valuable to further delay the letter to add what we've already been saying to you for a while now, which is that we continue to treat game performance as a top priority.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

3 things.

1. For the love of Talos please don't make us do more house-elf chores of setting tables, picking flowers and what not for the new 'epic story'. It's kind of weird for the character to do such tasks at this point IMO. At least while every other npc in the whole area are not doing it. Like when Mithrandir asks you to join him and Aragorn near Minas Morgul and they arrive there before you do and as soon as you arrive he asks you to pick up the flowers right next to him. I don't know. Something different from the quests perhaps is what I'm hoping for.

2. With dwarves being the focus going forward, is there any chance we could get a better explanation of why Moria fell in such a quick fashion as it did? The little instance felt off to me considering how much time was invested into the Moria expansion. Will Gundabad be the same? Everything we do in these updates will be nullified in a 5-minute instance mainly with some few lines of text in it?

3. The question of the Gurzyul. We learned that there is a tree which the evil forces can use to summon forth a defeated spirit, though I'm not sure if this is a thread that will be picked up again at all. The Gandalf-bit in Thuringwath ended very abruptly from my pov so I hope we get something more there. Lastly there are still characters like Borangos or Lhareth who can still be seen as 'players'. Will they appear again any time soon?
    "I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say he did, standing over the body of King Brand before the gate of Erebor, until the darkness fell."
    http://gladdenhistory.wikispaces.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hilawolf View Post
    Agreed, please don't waste time on something new, when you have a feature no other game has. Use the resources to update creep base stats and create pvmp gear for frees.
    EHHH... If they release a new pvp server that will for sure mean that they will balance creeps and freeps for PVP. Which is a really good thing. This actually got me really excited!

tonight is a perfect example,

we normally do Remmochant Tier 1 in 30 minutes we are that well organised and tonight after 2 hours we couldnt do it on boss 2 for 30 mins alone and gave up after 1 hour on boss 3

Stalls of the game itselt , Input lag, freezing of the game and rubber banding and this was 12 ppl of which we were in 4 different countrys

fix your #### first SSG before you go on to CREATE more problems

For an almost 13 year old game, this is an impressive and varied list of upcoming content for 2020. Keep up the great work and continue to communicate what you're doing behind the scenes. It's always great to hear what is being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxius View Post
    For an almost 13 year old game, this is an impressive and varied list of upcoming content for 2020. Keep up the great work and continue to communicate what you're doing behind the scenes. It's always great to hear what is being worked on.
    Technically its not a 13 year old game, since they have been releasing new expansions for full price and major updates to the game. They are selling new expansions for full AAA price and its based on LOTR license. To be honest, with all the lag and bugs etc, it could have been in a much better state.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaxius View Post
    Yup I agree, this is one of the more ambitious PL's in a while. I'll be impressed if they can pull it all off. Hopefully all of our LOTRO point purchases, subs, and other 'donations' to this game are being put into good effect. Just the 64 bit client is a huge improvement for me. Love to see this game succeed, could not ask for a better community, developers, and lore/setting!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast