We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best ways of farming gold/resources?

I have really been struggling lately with the massive amounts of gold/resources needed to get geared up at lv130, and wanted some advice. Basically, I did some math, and estimated that it costs ~8,000 gold (based on the current AH prices) to max out a LI with starlits and empowerment scrolls. Multiply that by 2 for 2x LI's (or 3-4x if you play more than one role, like I'd like to for captain), and then add in 350 gold per essence slot for moonlit/trigger essences, and it ends up being something crazy like 21,000-37,000 gold (depending on # of LI's) to get LI's to max and the top-tier essences slotted. There are a few places like Throne raid where you can load up on empowerments/starlits (and probably sell for gold too), but those seem few and far between. The grind for all of that wouldn't seem terrible IF it was a "final" grind. Knowing that the level cap will increase again in a few months and invalidate much/most of that progress is a little defeating inside.

This is an issue because a lot of groups for instances/raids won't take you if they see your LI's only half-leveled and that you're using flickering essences.

Are there any good ways to farm up all of these resources/gold and minimize the grind? Based on my current rate, I don't think I'll have my LI's/essences maxxed out for at least 6-12 months, and that's if I limit myself to 2 LI's and a single character/playstyle. I see tons of players who have everything maxxed in the short time MM has been out, so I'm curious if they know something I don't (especially the people who have 2-3 alts). Of course, I am starting at a disadvantage given my fresh LI's to level. I've seen people suggesting festivals for LI stuff, but I can only get 30-45 tokens an hour at the shrew stomp, and it takes 60 tokens for an empowerment scroll.

I recently returned to the game, and am a little put off by how much extreme grinding has been added. I last played in the Helm's Deep expansion (before LI imbuement/essenses), and back then there was basically no grind other than leveling and running instances for gear.

LI Grind has been around since lvl 100 and most palyers started their LIs back then.

Don´t farm gold to buy things. It´s best if you farm them yourself.
    Your best friend would be the old Throne Raid on T2. Easy done at lvl 130 and give coins to barter everything you need in Minas Tirith.

Minas Tirith dailys would also be an option but you would have to do some reputation grind until you can do these quests

Quote Originally Posted by Sephollos View Post
    I recently returned to the game, and am a little put off by how much extreme grinding has been added.

You are FAR from the only one who's extremely frustrated by this. I really feel for any new or returning players trying to get back into this game. The extreme LI grind has been brought up to the Devs countless times over the last several years.

We're all still waiting on any kind of a fix/revamp/solution.

Very frustrating.

Good luck.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    ...I recently returned to the game, and am a little put off by how much extreme grinding has been added...
    You are FAR from the only one who's extremely frustrated by this. I really feel for any new or returning players trying to get back into this game. The extreme LI grind has been brought up to the Devs countless times over the last several years.

Very frustrating.

Good luck.
    If it was "only" the LI grind I would be happy. With all the other grind system now added to stretch the content in some case and to incetivize players to buy shortcuts vi the store in other cases I almost look back on the only LI grind with rose tint glasses. Even Flower picking seem like a happy memory nowdays.

Just wait until You hit all the daily and weekly other grinds. Ranging from Virtue XP, to end-game barter currencies, recipes and gear hidden behind rep grind that uses the same currencies that You also need to barter, gearing, the craftig materials, essences that there is no way to get enough solvents for unless You buy from the store, the ember grind etc (the list could go on). If You're not into the type of Korean Grind MMO style, or heavily m,onetized and grindy free to play mobile games and think only the LI grind is too much, then sadly I don't think You will have the patience and will to play LoTRO the way it has become in 2019 and 2020. Only way to enjoy LoTRo without all that these days is to only play to a certion level, then stop and create a new charcter and play that to the same level, rinse repeat until you get bored of that too. Don't ever go above LvL 95 if don't like the LI grind. Don't ever go above LvL 105 if You don't like all the other insane grinds. at LvL 105 Mordor hits with the new type of grind design to unlockk dailies at the end of having completed all content on each character. The rest of the regions after is pretty much built on that same system they introduced with Mordor. So stay happy in the old areas if You don't like grinds. The few rep grinds and such in old areas are child play in comparison.

I have really been struggling lately with the massive amounts of gold/resources needed to get geared up at lv130, and wanted some advice. Basically, I did some math, and estimated that it costs ~8,000 gold (based on the current AH prices) to max out a LI with starlits and empowerment scrolls. Multiply that by 2 for 2x LI's (or 3-4x if you play more than one role, like I'd like to for captain), and then add in 350 gold per essence slot for moonlit/trigger essences, and it ends up being something crazy like 21,000-37,000 gold (depending on # of LI's) to get LI's to max and the top-tier essences slotted. There are a few places like Throne raid where you can load up on empowerments/starlits (and probably sell for gold too), but those seem few and far between. The grind for all of that wouldn't seem terrible IF it was a "final" grind. Knowing that the level cap will increase again in a few months and invalidate much/most of that progress is a little defeating inside.

This is an issue because a lot of groups for instances/raids won't take you if they see your LI's only half-leveled and that you're using flickering essences.

Are there any good ways to farm up all of these resources/gold and minimize the grind? Based on my current rate, I don't think I'll have my LI's/essences maxxed out for at least 6-12 months, and that's if I limit myself to 2 LI's and a single character/playstyle. I see tons of players who have everything maxxed in the short time MM has been out, so I'm curious if they know something I don't (especially the people who have 2-3 alts). Of course, I am starting at a disadvantage given my fresh LI's to level. I've seen people suggesting festivals for LI stuff, but I can only get 30-45 tokens an hour at the shrew stomp, and it takes 60 tokens for an empowerment scroll.

I recently returned to the game, and am a little put off by how much extreme grinding has been added. I last played in the Helm's Deep expansion (before LI imbuement/essenses), and back then there was basically no grind other than leveling and running instances for gear.

You're clearly not on Evernight because the prices there are a lot higher.

I know I'm going to get slagged off for this and I agree there is a problem with LI levelling but you don't need perfect LIs, and even a solo player like myself can get decent LIs

Star-lits do festivals
    Essences make your own, shards are not a problem I have 45+ sat around doing nothing (your guaranteed 3 a week now even if you don't gather any resources or chests), solvents are but I just buy 25 at a time from store.
    Empowerment scrolls, people make too much fuss about them. Many legacies don't need any (on all 3 of my mains, they all have legacies that I consider essential but main buff stops well before 83) but featured instances are one way, this week it was the easy school, so thats 2-4 a day for 10 minutes effort. Plus you can always do MT dailies.
    Ember gear is a good start (well it's my end point but I guess you want better), you can easily get 2k embers a week. (MM quest, MM instance, 100 sigils for embers, 8 threats). My 3 lvl 130s all have ember armour, now working on bling (Obviously crafted helms, pocket, off hand and bow)

My sympathy for raiders is limited by the fact they are the ones boasting of how they have 100Ks of gold from their raiding and so are the ones pricing everything out of non-raiders price range.
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

Very frustrating.

Good luck.
    As much as I love playing, I have to agree with this.

You will often see massive amounts of gold being offered in game for VIP codes, LP codes or expansion codes purchased with real life money.

Why the need for massive amounts of gold? If you are new to the game and are trying to get your first character geared up for end game, you need to use a LOT of scrolls, crystals etc. Most of these items are received by participating in end game groups, but to get into a group, you need to have your gear upgraded first. For those who are not already at end game, this means buying massive amounts of these items either from AH or from people who are already participating in these end game groups and raids.

There are also the players who are artificially inflating the AH price of these needed items like scrolls, blemished symbols by buying up all the lower priced items and reselling them at a higher cost. About a month and a half ago, I saw a number of blemished symbols of the elder king posted by the same person for a buyout of 65 gold – a few days later, they were all gone and a different person had posted a number of them for 70 gold starting bid (which would net about 66 gold after fees) and 75 gold buyout. A few days later, yet another name posting these items for starting bid of 80 gold (which would net 76 gold after AH fees).

This in-game market manipulation can be done because the posting fees of these items are only a few silver and if they do not sell, there is a minimal cost to repost the item with a starting bid that nets at least the amount they paid.

For the person doing the market manipulation there no risk of losing gold as they will get their gold back when it sells and only a reward of additional profit when it sells at the higher price. This Is little incentive to keep the prices at a level where new players can easily obtain them.

What all this in-game hyper inflation does is makes it very costly for new players who may not have had years to amass gold and acts as a disincentive to participate in end game unless you are willing to participate in this conversion of real life money buying codes to trade for in-game gold currency.

There have been many suggestions for this LI grind, you can do a search on the many threads regarding this. But until this grind is resolved, there will be in-game gold farmers. Unfortunately, the gold farmers are still around, and they seem to have been made a legitimate part of game play now.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; Apr 05 2020 at 07:54 PM.

The LI grind is definitely annoying, but unless you have alts it's manageable. As others have said try to run Throne, MM dailies are a good source but after a while they get painful (I stopped doing them a long time ago). When the FI is short and quick like this week's School you should run it twice every day for scrolls. Lots of barters around the world also have scrolls, RT vendors, skirmish barters, festivals, Dol Amroth, few others for landscape tokens as well.

Also, if you do plan on using mithril coin, use it for the crystals, it's actually a pretty good deal at least relative to scrolls, never use mc for scrolls.
    Erendil 50 Hunter Rank 7, Mavellen 45 Warden; Officers of Disciples
    Ragaroth Warleader Rank 7, Marhawk Stalker Rank 5; Members of Cuddle Squad
    Other Characters: Arthilius - Captain, Arthilias - Guardian,
    Claireth - Runekeeper, Harbuckle - Burglar, Lothlirien - Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    The LI grind is definitely annoying, but unless you have alts it's manageable.

I'm sure there could be a HUGE debate on what exactly "manageable" means to long-time LOTRO customers, but, clearly...

...if you Do have alts,

...or if you're new to the game,

...or if you're returning to LOTRO after a break,

there is NOTHING "manageable" about the LI grind!

Whichever way you look at it, it is a big grind, but if it helps, coincidentally I literally just posted this list in another thread of ways to grind emp scrolls. If you did several of these a day, you could gather a fair few.

Dol Amroth with Amroth silver pieces (run Tarlang’s Crown repeatables and West Gondor warbands)
    Roving threat quartermaster (run roving threats)
    Osgiliath culverts with East Gondor silver pieces (run the dailies there)
    Pelennor quartermaster at MT gate (run Rakothas/Throne) - also crystals
    Epic battles quartermaster with Stars of Merit (regular Pela groups fill very fast) - also crystals
    Endgame instances sometimes drop them and you will get very tradeable items (Ithilglad crafting components are now my main source of gold income)
    Featured instances
    Skirmish camp (the amount of marks you get for running instances mean you can buy loads from here)
    Buy them with gold from the auction house - also crystals

The mats for essences aren’t too bad. I only have one at cap and managed to craft six essences this weekend just from running the dailies, selling the Ithilgalad components and using the gold to buy solvents and the extra shards. These boxes drop regularly from Harrow/Roost at any tier including solo, and fetch about 75G each on my server so aren’t a bad source of gold.

Saying this, it is still a long grind. I have maxed the DPS legacy on two weapons and nearly one emblem, but I am nowhere near maxed on scrolls, maybe 50-60 on each legacy. I play captain too, and can vouch for what Once of Bree said m, which is that you don’t need everything maxed, certainly on cappy. You can support/tank just fine even on T1 Remmorchant without maxed legacies. If you were a DPS class it would be more important. My advice is just don’t sweat it too much.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Very frustrating.

Good luck.
    I feel the same. Came back after two years where I left off at minas tirith and the AH prices have quadrupled since last time I played. Not only for high level items, but even lower level resources are insanely high. I had all master crafters as well and now trying to grind out more reputation is a nightmare. How am I going to do this with lower level crafters and morgul rep? Guess they want us to use a lot of valor boosts? I still don't have any first age weapons and the really bad crafting update really shafted crafters as well. Can't even craft a new set of blue gear that doesn't have something besides fate on it. I'm struggling at lvl 110 with the old lvl 100 gear I crafted prior to the update and it only has about 1/4 to 1/3 of the armor as the exact same crafted set now, that has the fate on it. The increase going from tier 9 and jumping to tier 13 was a bad mistake not giving us something to craft in between to make it to lvl 130. I don't even want to think about how much real cash it is going to cost buying upgrades from the lotro store.

Others already suggested and informed you about the ways to get to those items. Apart from it, I can say that on my server is very profitable to sell scholar mats and ore, tomes of damage and defence, xp boost, consumables such as food, pots and scrolls.

I have written my opinion on Imbued Legendary Items a number of times--I easily made 20 maxed out Imbued Legendary Items in 6 months--so I will not repeat that song.

However, I wish to address one comment:

The grind for all of that wouldn't seem terrible IF it was a "final" grind. Knowing that the level cap will increase again in a few months and invalidate much/most of that progress is a little defeating inside.
    <snipped for brevity>

With regards Imbued Legendary Items this sentiment is completely incorrect. You do not need to remake your Imbued Legendary Items each time the level cap increases. All progress is preserved. Once you catch up, a new region typically requires adding 3 Crystals and 7 to 21 Scrolls, per item. It is easy to keep up once you are caught up.

Armor, jewelry, and other items continue to follow the old pattern, becoming antiquated with each major patch. If you chase the best of the best you must play a lot. If past experience holds true, the next region will offer a faster system to acquire equipment. We must all wait and see if that happens.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

If you belong to a reasonably helpful kinship they may well help with the grind. Everyone may be willing to chip in a couple of scrolls and maybe some have spare crystals as well. Our has a group of players spend a while doing MT dailies for scrolls in order to help a kinnie get up to scratch to join in on Remm. Taking a couple of toons through is worth 8 scrolls per toon if you do all three dailies and three folk doing that twice each adds up smartly.

Helps if its a member in good standing, Valar forbid one of those fly by nights who milk generous kinships to feed a self aggransising and idle ego should wreck this sort of thing.

You could also try begging/swapping. What's a fair rate between the weekly 100% crafting item and scrolls? That item isn't hard to get being only time limited.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

Can always do a 6 man rako, that yields 20 coins, so 6 scrolls? Do it on a couple of toons per lock cycle and you are cap in a very short amount of time.

Mirage | Anor
    Arkenstone

I have really been struggling lately with the massive amounts of gold/resources needed to get geared up at lv130, and wanted some advice. Basically, I did some math, and estimated that it costs ~8,000 gold (based on the current AH prices) to max out a LI with starlits and empowerment scrolls.
    I just hit 130 and went and got scrolls from the marks/medallion chap at LI camp, and the SoM barter at Dol Amroth. Spending gold did not even occur to me.

Neither did 'maxing it out', to be honest, I just add 2 or so upgrades at a time.

and then add in 350 gold per essence slot for moonlit/trigger essences
    Can these be acquired from a way other than buying on the AH for gold?

It does feel, though, that you're asking for absolute epic perfection - the ability the tackle three or four playstyles (does LOTRO even have enough legacies to have 4 playstyles?), perfect maxed out gear in all respects. I mean, this is the absolute pinnacle. It's not supposed to be the blandest goal every player should aim for at a minimum. It's supposed to be the top. And you don't need gold to get it - grouping up, I'm sure, and running 6 mans with people will be a fun way to get the things you need.

A supportive kinship should take such members along. PUG groups are risky and, yep, tough to get into. So people do kin raids first to gear up ready to pass muster on the outside.

I see tons of players who have everything maxxed in the short time MM has been out, so I'm curious if they know something I don't (especially the people who have 2-3 alts).
    I think so. I spent the last week getting from 125 up to 130, finishing the MM quest chains and unlocking the dailies. I don't go near AH and just look at what I want, where it comes from and what I have to do to go and get it.

I find marks/seals skirmish currency and Stars of Merit a good source of scroll barter.
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

[evernight] lilka : warden | gwenaëlle : champion | elorie : minstrel | cedar : hunter

I also came back to LOTRO some weeks ago after a few years of break.

What I struggle most with to be honest is not the LIs. Yes, it takes time to max them out, but at least it's clear what your path looks like, you need star-lits and scrolls, maybe some imbued scrolls to swap out a few legacies if needed. The system has been consistent for years, and will probably change later this year, we will see...

The part that I find extremely difficult to figure out is how the rest of the equipment works, i.e. armor, jewelry, essences, relics for weapons. I already spent hours, literally hours trying to figure out what my equipment should look like, and how to get there in an efficient manner, and I am still not sure if I got it right. I will need to keep looking...

I understand how to get the essences, that's the easy part, and it couldn't be simpler (not getting them, but how to get them). To get your relics is also easy to understand, although the crafted ones are really hard to come by these days, simply because nobody is running anvil on my server, and one rime is 1000g, I would need three, so I gave up on that pretty quickly.... (not THAT critical)

The worst part, by far, is armor (I haven't even started to look into jewelry, yet)! If you go to the barter NPCs, there are so many different kinds of armor. The dropdowns are organized in a horrible way. 95% of the things that are listed are "useless", or in other words a waste of embers...! Why? Why not make it simple?

It seems I figured that I need 3500 embers per piece to get my first tier of armor, which is a non-raid armor ("of the adventurer" or something I believe), and you get it out of a coffer. Seems the same for jewelry, again not sure. But this might be wrong, and it might make more sense to have something crafted first, again, I find it confusing.

So any guidance on the "equipment path" I should take, would be much appreciated! It shouldn't be that complicated, or I am just too stupid to get it, could well be. I find it frustrating...

Also, I understand I can get 2000 embers per weak, but how is that going to get me up to like 45k+ of embers in the short to mid term...? Compared to this, the LI grind is a walk in the park, but I am probably missing something here, like by a lot.... (I must be!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sk0field View Post
    Also, I understand I can get 2000 embers per weak, but how is that going to get me up to like 45k+ of embers in the short to mid term...? Compared to this, the LI grind is a walk in the park, but I am probably missing something here, like by a lot.... (I must be!)
    yes. Embers are not meant as a primary way of gearing up, just as a backup if you get unlucky and certain pieces do not drop. The main way to get gear is from 3man instances and then remmorchant t1+ (the new raid). 6mans also have gear that can be useful.

This is for armor and jewellery.

Lotro is a MMO game. So if you complaining that is so hard to cath up for solo player is just make me laught. If you are solo player you not need any gear. Better gear is required for GROUP content not for solo content. Join a helpful kin (there plenty of them around) they will help you. You can do kin run on Throne raid and i'm sure there will be people willing to give you their loot so you can get better. If you are solo player you fine with quest gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimenuir View Post
    Can always do a 6 man rako, that yields 20 coins, so 6 scrolls? Do it on a couple of toons per lock cycle and you are cap in a very short amount of time.
    For 320 scrolls per ILI and at least 2 ILIs it takes about 100 runs. Lock cycle and number of available toons (times 6) will be the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by TronGilrain View Post
    Lotro is a MMO game. So if you complaining that is so hard to cath up for solo player is just make me laught. If you are solo player you not need any gear. Better gear is required for GROUP content not for solo content. Join a helpful kin (there plenty of them around) they will help you. You can do kin run on Throne raid and i'm sure there will be people willing to give you their loot so you can get better.
    Kins are supportive, but they are not the personal workforce of newly joined players. A kin is left as fast as it is joined.
    Apart from that we have plenty of (grouped) cap grind left over that all of us should do to feed our toons. Newbies can join the current grind and are pulled through T2/3, but with the limited per day time budget most of us have, I do not see a way of donating grind support to newbies or new chars in the required frequency. The accumulated grind we have today is beyond anything that a kin of players with existent RL can support in a sustainable way.

If Lotro ever want to attract players back or new players for any time longer than the early levels then they need to flatline the currency in the game.

Remove all gold and create a new currency from scratch. Too many players have dozens of mules just filled with their gold maxed out and bags full of purchased gold from the banker.

until this happens it is really not viable to anyone new or even returning after a few years away to compete in the AH and not everyone has time nor wants to create all the crafters and go through that grind as well all the others.
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Lotro is a MMO game. So if you complaining that is so hard to cath up for solo player is just make me laught.
    Sorry, did not make that clear it seems. I wasn't complaining about the difficulty of gearing up solo. You are right. This is a MMO and people need to group.

I was complaining about how confusing it is to gear up through the ember barter system. I just turned 130 yesterday, so I wasn't running any 3-man or 6-man instances. I was running solo or duo instances, simply because my gear is pretty bad.

Now that I know that the pieces drop in 3-man or 6-man instances, and I hope it's pieces with essence slots, I will try that route and see where it leads. I hope T1 6-man groups will take someone with "quest" gear. They should... Worst case I can run a group myself... Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the info Thorondir!

Lotro is a MMO game. So if you complaining that is so hard to cath up for solo player is just make me laught. If you are solo player you not need any gear. Better gear is required for GROUP content not for solo content. Join a helpful kin (there plenty of them around) they will help you. You can do kin run on Throne raid and i'm sure there will be people willing to give you their loot so you can get better. If you are solo player you fine with quest gear.
    I think you have misunderstood the OP's question. If I am understanding it correctly, they are not asking how to get there as a solo player, they are asking how to deal with the amount of grind needed to get to a point where they will be welcome, and useful, in group runs.

Your only real advice was to find a group of people that will just give them the things they need to acquire top tier essences, and to get their LIs to max. When what they are asking is, if there is a way to cut down on the grind required to EARN it for themselves.

I don't know what kin, if any, you are in, but even the most helpful of kins, would not want to be used in that way.
    I am in a very helpful and generous kin. Last week, I gave a kinsman 50 SoEs I had in storage, just because they mentioned in chat they needed that many to max out their 1st set of LIs. This week, I was venting in kin chat about how much the price of star-lits have gone up, and how I was a few hundred gold short of being able to buy the last 3 I needed to max out my 2nd set of LIs. All 3 were sent to me within minutes, and I had to turn down 5 more that were offered to me. But even we wouldn't give so much to a new member, never mind to a recruit. You have to earn being treated in that way. Don't get me wrong any decent kin would be more than willing to help you survive the grind, to make it shorter, and more bearable. But run instances and hand all the loot over to a newcomer? Not when there are always members who have been there awhile that also need those same things. If you were talking about lower level gear, say up to Anorien, where mats are easy to obtain, I would agree with join and just ask for it but not for top tier, end game quality gear. We would run instances with you, share what we know about the best ways, and places, to get the things you need, but we would not just give them to you.

The OP said - "This is an issue because a lot of groups for instances/raids won't take you if they see your LI's only half-leveled and that you're using flickering essences." Nothing there about soloing.

The OP also said - " Multiply that by 2 for 2x LI's (or 3-4x if you play more than one role, like I'd like to for captain)" Still nothing there about soloing. Solo players don't need to play multiple roles. Captains in GROUP play can fulfill multiple roles though, at least the good ones can.

Also, you are only partially right about solo players. Just like there are casual raiders, and hard core raiders, there are casual, and hard core, soloists.
    Casual solo players will be fine with quest gear, and half finished LIs.
    Try soloing a 3 man, on level, or even a duo on T2, with quest gear. Then tell me again how quest gear is fine for solo play.
    Some of us like hearing "you can't solo that", and then responding with "challenge accepted". To some of us, the fun lies in accomplishing alone, things scaled for a group.

I solo about 85% of the time, but the other 15%, is on level, group content. Without top level, fully maxed out gear, I would not be welcome in anything but kin runs, or the occasional group that knows they could do it without more help, but take pity on the under equipped and let them tag along. No one wants to be THAT guy.

I have no advice for the OP that hasn't already been given, and would have moved on without adding to this thread, except your disdain for the solo players was just a bit too obvious. Your post was obnoxious, and uncalled for, your only advice was bad, to put it mildly. LOTRO is not just an MMO it's an MMORPG. Try to be more accepting of those who choose a different role to play than the role you choose to play. If you can't then just keep it to yourself and move on to another thread. I never understood the need to come to a forum just to make fun of someone you mistakenly think is somehow less than you because they don'y play the same as you or have questions you think are stupid. But there are a few on every board I have ever used.

TronGilrain it is you and your sense of superiority that makes me laugh.

You got 1 small thing right.
    Joining an active, friendly, and helpful kin is always a good idea.

Apologies to the OP for the rant. Sometimes I just can't let it go. If you play on Crickhollow server there are several really good kins there, you really should join one. It will make the grind easier to deal with, and you will have easy access to knowledge of the areas you have not played yet.

At lower levels crafting is probably most profitable, gathering resources like ore, wood or scholar mats. It isn't really economically justified to gather the mats for yourself or especially for your alts past certain point, because with high enough level you have many more profitable things to do with your time, so it is better to just buy materials. The demand is high and stable, for good prices. You can also try cooking, it is very simple and doesn't even require leaving starting region as everything needed is available on the NPC, but the demand is rather unreliable.

And then once you reach 100+ level range you are better off just regularly running Featured Instances and various dailies in Gondor for Scrolls of Empowerment, with Throne raid T2C weekly. You will pile up on gold/scrolls/crystals very fast there. Just check scroll to crystal price ratio on your server, because with good enough ratio you are better off bartering crystals, selling them and then buying scrolls, it can sometimes give you much more scrolls compared to bartering them directly. Especially with Pelennor barter, crystal to scroll barter price ratio is 2:1, while on the market it can be as high as 7:1.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk0field View Post
    You are not missing anything, LI system in LOTRO is some of easiest ones in any MMORPG. It is bad because it is so basic, easy and boring, not because it is hard. Also you can have maxed LI 5 minutes after hitting level 100 if you have enough money, so the entire idea of "weapon that progresses along with you" in fact does not work at all, it is just a gold pumping simulator. Compared to various reputation/barter currency grinds locked behind some stupid dailies LI progression is nothing. It just exposes all the complainers and shows that those who complain the most about LIs don't even play the game, because they are crying about the easiest system in the entire game like if it was the end of the world, while in reality there are many far harder systems and grinds in the game.

I agree that the LI system is a huge grind. I worry their revamp will be just as bad or worse. BUT it is doable. Only playing 3 days a week, I got both of my LM LIs done fairly quickly. Best methods for me (not 130 yet) was to run MT South Gate dailies, run the one DA training exercise daily, do FIs, and Epic Battles. Lots of Epic Battles. Not only do the Stars of Merit trade for crystals and SOEs, but you can also trade the marks you earn for SOEs in the skirm camp. If you're on Crickhollow and need help with battles, feel free to give me a shout. Usually on Argwerael or Astornaith atm.

And remember, if you're feeling burned out, there is no time limit on this. Go play on a low level alt (I just made a high elf) and remember why you love the game.
    Crickhollow server: Argwerael (LM 130), Leofcwyn (Champ 87), Pearblossom (Mini 91), Gwilithil (Hunter 58), Verdani (Beorning, 40), Mapleblossom (Burg 37), Astornaith (Warden 28)