We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The game was fairly easy to play... until West Rohan

Am I the only one I noticed this?

I've been leveling a new toon for a first time in years, so I started everything anew, from level 1. Up until level 83-84, the game has been a breeze. My hunter pulls a lot of mobs, kills them with no trouble, I deal a lot of damage.

But since I entered West Rohan, the game got substantially more difficult. Not unbearably difficult, as I was still able to do book quests being orange... But sometimes I did have trouble with regular quests when they were at my level, being white... The difficulty concerns more mounted mobs, but occasionally I feel more inclined to use the landsape token for the warrior to tackle elite mobs.

Has anybody else noticed this annoying imbalance?

Quote Originally Posted by SvetPandaren View Post
    but occasionally I feel more inclined to use the landsape token for the warrior to tackle elite mobs.
    I know games change over time, but as a certified Old LOTRO Guy this sentence made me laugh a little. I remember back in the early days when Elite mobs weren't intended to be soloed. They were supposed to be well-out-of-reach for a single player, the enemies you'd need to get help to tackle. From the perspective of this curmudgeon, I'm glad you can't solo Elite enemies in West Rohan.

MoL

I've been leveling a new toon for a first time in years, so I started everything anew, from level 1. Up until level 83-84, the game has been a breeze. My hunter pulls a lot of mobs, kills them with no trouble, I deal a lot of damage.

But since I entered West Rohan, the game got substantially more difficult. Not unbearably difficult, as I was still able to do book quests being orange... But sometimes I did have trouble with regular quests when they were at my level, being white... The difficulty concerns more mounted mobs, but occasionally I feel more inclined to use the landsape token for the warrior to tackle elite mobs.

I know this is cliche, but, have you upgraded your LIs? There's a historical number gap between lvl 85 and lvl 86+

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    I know games change over time, but as a certified Old LOTRO Guy this sentence made me laugh a little. I remember back in the early days when Elite mobs weren't intended to be soloed. They were supposed to be well-out-of-reach for a single player, the enemies you'd need to get help to tackle. From the perspective of this curmudgeon, I'm glad you can't solo Elite enemies in West Rohan.

MoL
    Can't argue with you there
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

Yes, Western Rohan is suddenly much harder. Don't worry, what you're experiencing is normal

For me, I found that quest rewards also got better, though- so it's possible that after questing around a bit, you will have better gear at your disposal to help with the greater challenge. It won't take long before it doesn't feel that difficult anymore.

All you need is proper armor set and Rohan is walk in the park.
    Pick one from Galtrev till you are able to get crafted one from Wildermore or buy one from Hytbold.
    Btw any crafted purple set will do. I see no problems so far.

MoL
    I have to agree with this right here. Elite is elite.

They recently buffed the gear from Hytbold. If you have another character that already did it, you could pass the gear over to your lower level one. I think they are only like 10 tokens each, which takes 2 quests to get.

Elite or not elite, the difficulty spikes in Western Rohan. This has been reported multiple times. This is annoying on landscape, but even more annoying when certain solo quests are so hard you either have to play them multiple times until you succeed, or have to come back when you are 10 lvls above and have appropriate gear. (Just do a forum search for "In Need of Cheering Up".)

Since Western Rohan is the next area coming to the Legendary Servers, it would be a good opportunity to adress this.

Elite mobs are what they are, however, if the quest is marked up as solo, then it should be able to be done solo. If not, mark it up as a small fellowship quest and given that W Rohan is old content, where a lot of players are now going to find themselves alone while doing the region, make it optional to getting through the quest arc.

Felllowship quests or even whole fellowship areas within regions are great fun. They make for lovely and interesting play while the region is current and relevant. But when that content is no longer the main content and the masses have moved off into newer pastures, they become no mans land to later soloists. It's why we don't see solo, on level players in places like Limlight, Tarlangs Crown and Lang Rhuven. But as those areas are optional and progression through a region doesn't rely on them, it works just fine. W Rohan isn't like that though, it's very linear content, where progression relies heavily on getting through each quest arc before you can access the next.

@ OP. There is a set of crafted purple gear (jewels, armour, offhands etc) for level 90 (iirc) that will help. Also, make sure your LI is up to date and the right level. If it's below level 95, dump it and get a new one. Even a level 86 third ager will be better than a level 85 top notch FA. If you're on Evernight, look for me online and I'll come help you with any of the quests that stop you progressing.
    Last edited by Arnenna; Apr 02 2020 at 07:09 AM.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

You are a Hunter.
    Do not fight from Horseback.
    The Horse is for travel not for Fighting for years.

That works fine.
    Read some skills, e.g. the green stun bubble will help you to handle the Adds of Warbands.
    Voz, Bukot, Kramp and Rootentree are a problem solo. Rest works.

Use Damage instead of kiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubgaenger View Post
    Y

Voz, Bukot, Kramp and Rootentree are a problem solo. Rest works.

Use Damage instead of kiting.
    Nor are any of these in West Rohan. You are talking about East Rohan and Wildermore. Things go up a notch once you leave those areas.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

I'm out in West Rohan right now, in fact my next major hub is the Stonedeans.

Not sure just how much help many of the landscape soldiers are vs mounted foes, but I generally pop a melee and defense buff and chew on some travel food prior to taking on Elites. Just helps keep me ahead of the curve, especially if someone else wanders up and aggro's on me while I'm fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorikon View Post
    .... Since Western Rohan is the next area coming to the Legendary Servers, it would be a good opportunity to adress this.
    Riiiight..... Because we all know that each level cap release on LS has been such a rip roaring immediate success, unparalleled in SSGs history of correcting problems reported for weeks on end by the players there...

Oh sorry, is my bitterness showing yet?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Prialyss View Post
    Riiiight..... Because we all know that each level cap release on LS has been such a rip roaring immediate success, unparalleled in SSGs history of correcting problems reported for weeks on end by the players there...

Naaa, no salty sarcastic bitterness showing at all, he he he !!!

But then again, You are not alone in feeling like that. Many do right now. Not sure that is of any comfort though.

I would much rather things were running smooth with no (or at least very few) issues and me being happily jumping around like a fool with no worries.

MoL
    Back in SoA, the hunters on my server would solo Skybreaker or Colnor as a test of skill - to be a cool kid, you had to do it! I honestly spent a lot of time soloing elite mobs and working out the strategies for elite masters...

Quote Originally Posted by Prialyss View Post

You're not alone indeed... and the fact that only a handful of us post here doesn't mean the teams behind us haven't noticed anything and are enjoying the game as if nothing were wrong. We enjoy the game, yes, in what limited manner we're allowed....

I think SSG is just feeling a lot like Bilbo before his birthday...
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020