We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How do you buy a cosmetic outfit with a different dye colour?

I've just bought an outfit at Lalia's Market in Bree. As displayed it was black, but in the dressing room I was able to change it to dark green. I then bought it, assuming I was getting the dark green displayed in the dressing room—but when I put it on as a cosmetic outfit, it was black! And there seems to be no way to change this. In the Wiki, under Dyes, it says: "To dye an item in your Wardrobe, simply right click on the dye pot and then left click on the item you wish to dye." So I put one of the new items in the Wardrobe—but I couldn’t find any "dye pot", and the colour listed for that item was only black. Or is this saying I have to have a separate pot of dye in order to do this? If so, why does the dressing room allow you to display different colours, when the obvious assumption is that the item is available in those colours (e.g., the fact that certain items cannot be displayed in different colours, i.e. they only come in one colour)?

If it's truly the case that outfits have to be manually dyed, and the dressing room only displays what they'll look like if you do that, then where do I buy dyes? And how many items will one pot dye? Do I need a separate pot for each item??

Thanks for your help with this!

All outfits in the game have 1 color on obtaining. The dressing room is just to test things out. Most dyes are crafted by a scholar and can be traded. There are some 'premium' ones available for barter from festivals, and finally most (if not all) can be purchased in the store. 1 dye is consumed when applying to 1 item of clothing. If you apply the dye to an item directly, you will lost its current color and only have the new one. If you dye an item in the wardrobe, it will remember the previous color and you can switch at will afterwards.

OK, thanks for confirming that. I can understand that they want us to pay for the dyes (!); but I still found it very clunky! After applying the dyes to the individual items in the wardrobe, as you suggested, they apparently all still remained black! So then I found that the wardrobe still defaults to the original colour, and the outfit I was wearing was regarded as still being that colour, so for each item I had to (1) select the new colour in the wardrobe; and (2) re-drag it to the correct slot in the Cosmetic Outfits panel!

Ah well, I guess it's just one of those clunky procedures in the game that you get used to and which don't bother you after the initial struggle!

Just FYI : you don't need to place the item in the wardrobe to dye it, you can dye the actual item in your inventory if you dont like it black and you won't use. Most of the dyes are crafted by other players and sold for in-game gold... and most outfits on Lalia's Market can be found just by playing.. tbh I've never spent Mithil Coins on outfits.. it's the same skins you'll get from killing/questing/instancing.. but I do know Lalia makes it easier for people to find without the investigative work xD

Another thing, you'll find that Supplier and Tailor NPCs sell an item called Dye Wash.. this will return the item to its "default" color (not the one you bought it in)... under Dressing room it's listed as "washed" if you wanna see what it looks like for a particular piece.
    Laergwend (Mini) - Gladden dweller!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy
    RIP Ithil
    Nov, 8 2018 - May, 21 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Gothrir View Post
    Most dyes are crafted by a scholar and can be traded. There are some 'premium' ones available for barter from festivals, and finally most (if not all) can be purchased in the store.
    Yes, if you don't find the color you want at the Auction House, try Lalia! She sells the basic dye colors for Mithril. ...Also, try the item as "washed" in the dressing room, first! You may get a surprise-- Some items come in one color, but when "washed", there is a second color there (for the price of a Dye Wash). Always put it in Wardrobe first, if you want to Save all the colors.
    “Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay; Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Once you get the hang of it, playing with cosmetic clothing can be a lot of fun.

One of the functions of the Dressing Room is to preview how a particular dye will look on a specific clothing item. The same dye will look somewhat different on different items, so it always pays to check before using a dye pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkuul View Post
    OK, thanks for confirming that. I can understand that they want us to pay for the dyes (!); but I still found it very clunky! After applying the dyes to the individual items in the wardrobe, as you suggested, they apparently all still remained black! So then I found that the wardrobe still defaults to the original colour, and the outfit I was wearing was regarded as still being that colour, so for each item I had to (1) select the new colour in the wardrobe; and (2) re-drag it to the correct slot in the Cosmetic Outfits panel!

Ah well, I guess it's just one of those clunky procedures in the game that you get used to and which don't bother you after the initial struggle!
    It's actually to your advantage to put the item in your wardrobe and then dye it. You can dye the same outfit many colors, and just choose the color from the pull-down list when applying it as a cosmetic. I have a few favorite dresses, cloaks, boots etc. that I dye many colors to go with different seasonal outfits. Once you get used to the procedure, it's not hard.
    ~Erynaur, Champion of Crickhollow
    ~Butterpea, Hunter of Crickhollow
    ~Mylwen, Captain of Crickhollow

Thanks, all, for the helpful input! I didn't know about dye washes—will try that next time.