We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Server pops growing exponentially...can anything be done?

This is fast approaching the fine line of playable/non-playable. Something really has to be done....I dunno, maybe reactivate or power up a backup server or two or something (and yeah I am aware of how complicated this may be).

I'd certainly like to see as many people playing as possible... but seems like its heading to unplayable for a lot of us

#HelpLOTRO !!

This is true, sadly. It was already very bad before the free content change. Oh boy, April is going to feel like a year... My sub would have renewed on April 1st but I will definitely put it on hiatus until upgrades are made or people stop playing.

And it's not only the lag but major difficulties in loading characters in the game. Loading bars stuck at 0 percent for several tries until successful login. Several other players reported this aswell.
    Last edited by Brutus778; Mar 29 2020 at 03:43 PM.

Had login issues aswell today. After succesful loggin in I logout again a few hours later because, well totally unplayable. the lag is the worst ive ever experienced in lotro in 13 years.
    SSG you really have to do something. you cannot keep ignoring the lag and pretend it's not real. get your s*** together and do something for mmo god's sake.
    Original Challenger of the Abyss

Things seem ok for me on Laurelin and I’ve been on my slower laptop all weekend rather than my PC. Is it worse on some servers than others, or in certain places/situations?

Edit: I have 94ms latency and 0.0% loss, if that helps at all.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Mar 29 2020 at 05:11 PM.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Since two-thirds of this country is under stay at home orders and will remain for the foreseeable future do not expect any relief in the lag, nor should we expect other servers to be spun up. Remember the servers are in Newark NJ, they are with-in the epicenter of the current issues. Most people there are under stay ant home orders.

Just do your best to play through it, it will get better maybe late April or May.
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    Edit: I have 94ms latency and 0.0% loss, if that helps at all.
    Lucky you, you have a direct connection to the server? Some people have all the luck. I'm coming in from north of Detroit and have to go through Chicago and then carried by suckA** Level3... to Newark
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules

*sigh*

for ages I see complaints that the servers need to merge because there aren't enough players logging in.

Now, due to a world-wide health emergency most people are stuck at home looking for something to do, so are logging in to take their minds off the hell of reality for a while.

Now, I see complaints that there are too many players logged in and the servers are unplayable.

I just can't even...……..

Aside from it taking forever to login, my ingame experience has been exactly the same as before. I'm happy to see more people playing.
    Erendil 50 Hunter Rank 7, Mavellen 45 Warden; Officers of Disciples
    Ragaroth Warleader Rank 7, Marhawk Stalker Rank 5; Members of Cuddle Squad
    Other Characters: Arthilius - Captain, Arthilias - Guardian,
    Claireth - Runekeeper, Harbuckle - Burglar, Lothlirien - Hunter

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Flaxie View Post
    *sigh*

for ages I see complaints that the servers need to merge because there aren't enough players logging in.

Now, due to a world-wide health emergency most people are stuck at home looking for something to do, so are logging in to take their minds off the hell of reality for a while.

Now, I see complaints that there are too many players logged in and the servers are unplayable.

I just can't even...……..
    Maybe consider that it isn't the exact same people complaining about the two different things. I for example have not asked for server merge. In fact I have spoken against it, when others have brought it up, due to realizing how badly LoTRO already handles the population we have (even before the covid19 emergency), whatever the reason why the performance is so bad. And even if it would be the same individuals complaining about both issues, it is not mutually exclusive to want to have more people on Your server, but still have a playable game, now is it. Many games can handle both. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    Lucky you, you have a direct connection to the server? Some people have all the luck. I'm coming in from north of Detroit and have to go through Chicago and then carried by suckA** Level3... to Newark
    If you have consistent packet loss, the most likely culprit is your wifi.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Lag is really going to depend on where you're playing. Even before everyone and their brother got online to play I knew anytime I went to Bree I'd see lag. Same for some of the festivals; never had a problem in Frostbluff, but the Halloween one was generally a pain.

Currently I'm off In Rohan and once I log in (normal amount of time for that, no problems there) I'll just do some of the fussy bits of game play while I let everything play catch up, but after 5 min or so in game my computer and the game seem to be in tune and I can then play on and haven't seen any major lag.

I do have a problem with the game and the audio not being in sync (I'll take the quest, read it all and then leave and THEN have the NPC start talking) and when I'm out riding I'll sometimes come to a spot on my radar where the land stops and all is blackness beyond (I only see that on the radar). Now if I continue on my screen picture will go black with the UI still up until things catch up and I get a picture back to play on or I'll stop and let the game catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    If you have consistent packet loss, the most likely culprit is your wifi.
    First, nothing was said about packet loss

Second, never mentioned specifically what the issue with Level3 is.

Third, it is fluctuating ping 50 to 500ms, 75%+ packet loss from a specific machine for about a year, have graphical tracerts.

Fourth, I am wired not WiFi. Wired is more secure.

Fifth, Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Maybe consider that it isn't the exact same people complaining about the two different things. I for example have not asked for server merge. In fact I have spoken against it, when others have brought it up, due to realizing how badly LoTRO already handles the population we have (even before the covid19 emergency), whatever the reason why the performance is so bad. And even if it would be the same individuals complaining about both issues, it is not mutually exclusive to want to have more people on Your server, but still have a playable game, now is it. Many games can handle both. Just saying.
    I have no argument with any of your points, but then, I have seldom found the game to be so laggy as to actually be unplayable.

Lightbulb

I have no argument with any of your points, but then, I have seldom found the game to be so laggy as to actually be unplayable.
    And I can not argue with that, as only You can know that of course. It was not my intention to sound rude or anything. I wanted to make that clear, as re-reading my own post I did sound a bit harsh. I apologize for that.

Then we have the definition of "unplayable". Technically almost anything could be seen as playable as long as You don't get disconnected. Like having to wait 30 sec or minutes before mails with attached items finally gets sent, or claiming items from mails finally ends up in Your bag. You can still play the game like that, but it gets tideous and frustrating after a while. Technically having delays on skills, so much so reactive skills that are just open/usable for a short while doesn't even go off is not unplayable either, as long as You dont get defeated but still manage to eventually defeat Your foes. However that too gets anoying and frustrating after a while. In PvMP and T2+ enviromnet it can become more or less unplayable as it can cause defeat and wipes. Still even then You can technically play the game if You are not disconnected. Arriving at a destination and it takes 30 seconds or longer for stable masters to appear (load in), so You can finally chose another destination is technically not unplayable either, it takes patience but You can still play I guess. However again frustrating. I could go on with other issues these delays (caused by something) affect but I hope You see the popint I'm making. Technically one could argue You can still log into the game, so You can play it. However when there are are a multitude of other games out there that do not suffer any of that, how many will have the patience to stick around and for how long ??? My point being that it's a horrible exprince for any customer experincing all these things. Paying customers have even more reason to be upset. It is not good for the games health to not do something about all this. It has been bad for quite some time and even worse now.

If it's the location being hidden behind bad CenturyLink/Level3 backbone hops, then move the server location to some new server farm that does not route the same way. Just like with a physical store/retailer etc, if it's in a location hard to for people to get to You will go out of business unless You change location. If it's the new database implemented, then hire some people who can fix, tweak and optimize the code. If it's having switched to some cloud based solution then maybe change back to physical server system. If it's outdated physical hardware then invest in some new better hardware. If it's paying for a too small bandwith then mayube start paying for more etc. As long as anyone is happy to take customers money, they have to sell them a decent service/product or the customers will feel cheated, diseppeointed and eventually abandon You. Just because some people manage to play LoTRO totally free is no excuse to not offer a good working service for all who are paying either via store purchases, subscriptions, buying expansions or whatever. Labeling something as "Free To Play" is not the equivalent of a get out of jail free card. You are still a company offering a service/product and it has to be decent at least. Alot of the time LoTRO is not even a decent experience (performance wise) for alot of people. When it is ok'ish perormance is usually when few on and the You face the problem on not finding enough people to do instances or raids with, so it's like a catch 22 situation. Play when many on and suffer terrible performance and delays. Play when few on and not be able to play harder instances and raids, mostly play solo at thos times. Either option is bad and very limiting.

Look, I'm not blaming the devs/staff for any of this. They probably work to the best of their ability under the circumstances. Investing either in extra staff to code and optimize, invest in better hardware, invest in better solutions, invest in a server move to a better location, invest in more bandwith etc are all decisons that falls on the higher ups within an organization. In this case either the leadership of SSG or their contacts at Daybreak (whoever are the acctual bosses for such decision). Some of us have multiple accouints we have bought expansions and subscriptions for, even for other family mebers as our kids and such, as well as spent alot of money over the years on store items as well. As paying customers we have every right to raise these concerns and demand a better service/performance. Only other option is to vote with our wallets and stop paying and stop playing to send a clear signal. Any sound business would do what's in ther power to avoid that.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Mar 29 2020 at 10:53 PM.

It is not good for the games health to not do something about all this. It has been bad for quite some time and even worse now...Any sound business would do what's in their power to avoid that.
    This seems to be the crux of your statement...and I could not agree more.

I will say I have had 0 issues logging into crickhollow server all seems fine on my end at least, and not much lag, though not none at all.
    Pontin Level 130 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

And I can not argue with that, as only You can know that of course. It was not my intention to sound rude or anything. I wanted to make that clear, as re-reading my own post I did sound a bit harsh. I apologize for that.
    You were merely pointing out my apparent failure to take a few things into account. Not rude at all. As for how I judge "unplayable", if I were to experience all the problems some others are claiming, I would most likely judge it to be so. However, in my adventuring on Crickhollow, I have never faced anything nearly that severe. Never a "black screen", very rare disconnects (maybe 2-3 a year), occasional rubberbanding, lately a bit of delay activating skills. I guess I'm lucky.

Thumbs up

You were merely pointing out my apparent failure to take a few things into account. Not rude at all. As for how I judge "unplayable", if I were to experience all the problems some others are claiming, I would most likely judge it to be so. However, in my adventuring on Crickhollow, I have never faced anything nearly that severe. Never a "black screen", very rare disconnects (maybe 2-3 a year), occasional rubberbanding, lately a bit of delay activating skills. I guess I'm lucky.
    That is all fine. I'm glad You took it the right way, as I meant it and not that I was trying to be rude or anything like that. You have of course every right to voice Your opinion and experiences. I'm glad that You feel You are having a good expereince so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    I live in coastal England, so definitely don’t have a direct connection. I don’t know how these things work, but I am guessing that is unlikely. That’s why I wondered if it was a server/time/area of the game issue. I have 70Mb ish fibre with Sky (again if ISP makes a difference).

Whether you see the issues some of us are having can be really dependant on machinery but also how you play and where you play.

I gather Crick is more relaxed than Ark and Brandy. Where there's more competition for resources you have to be a bit slicker chasing them down so light steed with dash rather than old nag at 68%. I ton of memory can maybe cope better loading several areas and keeping it there rather than unloading and reloading as you travel around the game.

If you really want to see, and uncover this added fun game challenge, just rip out some memory sticks 'til you are down to 6 Megs. Taking an MT ramp at full gallop when the three quarters built landscape goes black and you attempt to judge when you need to put on the anchors for the turn or shoot off the end to land who know where is a real bonus feature right now.

Playing with double the numbers than we had a few weeks ago seems very like the stress test during the datacentre move. We said it was unplayable for many of us but Turbine choose to rely on some other metric other than playability to determine it's success and rollout. It never again performed as well as pre-datacentre move days. I never liked the RND in this game but this random behaviour actually make the incessant grinds "interesting". So many games become predicable with repetition, not Lotro with 1600 non-anons and it's asset rendering process.

Can anyone tell me how to run a server trace? I would be really interested to see the steps taken from over here and would post the results.

Right click the Window 10 Start Icon and select run. Type
    Code:
    tracert gls.lotro.com
    in the "open" edit box and click Ok.

Don't post the first few steps online.

Otherwise type cmd to get the window up then the code fragment at the prompt. Serious system stuff can be done in a cmd window so take care using it.

Take it easy, there is a heavy load on the Internet all over the world. It will get better in time, be patient. Two days ago it took me 15 minutes to log in, and after several hours of gameplay I got stuck at loading screen, had to spend another 20 minutes to log in. Did I rage or complain? Not at all, I just read a few articles in the meantime. It's live, it's not perfect, issues happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    Take it easy, there is a heavy load on the Internet all over the world. It will get better in time, be patient. Two days ago it took me 15 minutes to log in, and after several hours of gameplay I got stuck at loading screen, had to spend another 20 minutes to log in. Did I rage or complain? Not at all, I just read a few articles in the meantime. It's live, it's not perfect, issues happen.

Thing is that the server was laggy way before the corona outbreak, its just slightly worse now with an even bigger player base. Also try other online game/MMO's and you wont find nearly as big of an issue like on Lotro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast