We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

anyone ex hardcore turned to casual only

loving story,lore and enjoying gorgeous landscape and other little things game can offer?

end game grind,lag,lootboxes ,pvpmp and gearing up system simply destroyed it for me, i have no desire,time to do it anymore, or any fun in killing foes with enormous amount of morale.

despite many issues lotro had its still worthy to slay there is some extremely well written dialogue and black book was great. from my point of view its worthy to sub and enjoy content

i never knew from once doing hardcore raids a decade ago turn to collect pets,do festival and progress with story,quests only

Personally, I have no desire to ever go "hardcore" as you call it. I am immersed in the storylines and RP (even though the rest of the server is hostile to it...)
    Estannen Seregrian, istriel i Imladris...

Quote Originally Posted by Seregrian View Post
    Personally, I have no desire to ever go "hardcore" as you call it. I am immersed in the storylines and RP (even though the rest of the server is hostile to it...)
    defintion of hardcore for me was doing end game raids challenges and pvmp trying to do best that's it, i m not sure why would anyone be hostile its just player's decision we all have different styles

Quote Originally Posted by Nesme View Post
    loving story,lore and enjoying gorgeous landscape and other little things game can offer?

end game grind,lag,lootboxes ,pvpmp and gearing up system simply destroyed it for me, i have no desire,time to do it anymore, or any fun in killing foes with enormous amount of morale.

despite many issues lotro had its still worthy to slay there is some extremely well written dialogue and black book was great. from my point of view its worthy to sub and enjoy content

i never knew from once doing hardcore raids a decade ago turn to collect pets,do festival and progress with story,quests only

I love PvMP, I think it's a lot of fun and not stressful. As for the other stuff, yea it feels like a job sometimes. I get stuck in it, and I want to do raids and end game groups and stuff, but I feel like I am going to work to grind LI's, essences, gear that gets outdated every 2 weeks, crafting materials, etc. etc. etc. etc.

The happiest moments I've had in the game are just sitting in the prancing pony, playing an instrument, running around the Shire. The story and world is too good to get end game ruin it for you.
    Erendil 50 Hunter Rank 7, Mavellen 45 Warden; Officers of Disciples
    Ragaroth Warleader Rank 7, Marhawk Stalker Rank 5; Members of Cuddle Squad
    Other Characters: Arthilius - Captain, Arthilias - Guardian,
    Claireth - Runekeeper, Harbuckle - Burglar, Lothlirien - Hunter

The ever increasing grind and content designed to consist largely of repetitive "daily" quests, on top of the poor system performance were really making it more of a chore than a fun game. Then the horrible class changes to hunter at the start of the "class balance" revamp was the straw that broke the camel's back and ended it for me. The grind had already caused me to leave behind alts and push one main character forward to level cap / everything max'd. Unfortunately for me, that character was a hunter, and one that had played blue line from shortly after it was introduced with the Helm's Deep expansion. To arbitrarily destroy something for no good reason was just too much, especially on top of the unappealing prospect of having to grind another character of a different class up to the same point I had already reached with a hunter. I didn't stick around to check out the implications for lower level, but I suppose it might still be worth playing from the start up to point essences and imbued LI take over, but I haven't bothered so far.

Lightbulb

anyone ex hardcore turned to casual only
    Kind of. I used to be pretty hardcore PvMP on the freep side back in the SoA days and tried to stay that after Moria as well, but Moria kind of killed PvMP for me. I have very little interest to play Creep. Only reason I've ever done that was to farm Commendations to gear my freep. It is so much faster to farm commendatioons as a creep with the deeda and such. Since commendations are account bound You could then use it on Your Freep to barter for PvMP gear, but to acctually play a Creep as main in PvMP I have no interest in. Nowdays I have no intertest in PvMP at all due to the state it's in and been for a long time.

Then I have tried to be semi end-game player (participate in instances, even up to t5 and raids etc), but still enjoying landscape. However since Mordor (original mordor) it has turned into a full time job to gear up. It was decent in Ered Mithrin and Vales of Anduin (I did some raiding and t5 there), but Minas Morgul has been even worse than Mordor was. Buying the expansion early for real money has given very little advantage as any gear You could get during that time is already outdated and the grind to even get it with RNG and wrong stast dropping for Your class (only armour class but not acctual class) has made it a horrible asnd painful experience for me. Also having to run T2 or T3+ to get any gear worth getting and solo and even 3-man T1 dropping rubbish green gear only. It finally broke this camels back and I have just given up after the raid was released followed the same type of RNG pattern (even if it is nice that t1 can drop some decent gear and all). So I have kind of gone from alot more hardcore as far as time played and effort + time invested (even if I have never been part of any hardore raid kin, but been using dicord to raid with others) to basically not play at all.

I am an adult with a real life, single dad with a son to care for, bills to pay etc and the whole system is aimed at those that either pay to gear up via Lootboxes and embers or the ones having very little real life responsibilities once they get home and can play many hours day after day to gear up. I'm sorry, but paying to gear up or even for cosmetics will not happen for me, as then what is the point of even playing the game ??? It kills all incentive to play content to earn gear or cool new looks. Since it is also via lootboxes (gambling mechanics) is another big no no as I don't pay to gamble on lotteries, slot machines and such irl either. I play the game to earn things within the game. And make a game my entire life and take up all my free time and let the rest of my life slip and me mismanaged, I just won't do either.

I almost got to that point and pushed stuff ahead of me until real life things piled up just to try and keep up with LoTRO. Then I finally had enough as I will not become one of those game addicts that spend all my time gaming and all my money on gambling on lootboxes. Gaming is my hobby and it should not feel like a full time job to keep up with a game that makes other things in life suffer. However LoTRO end-game is now designed to be like that, unless You pay for lootbox keys. Don't get me wrong, some grind is always part of MMO RPG's (I didn't even mind the li grind), but it has gone way over board with every aspect being a grind now, with currency caps and whatnot to make it even worse, all since the new style Lootboxes was introduced with original Mordor. Minas Morgul has taken it to yet another level of insanity. It isn't even fun anymore. So enough is enough for me. The same reason I don't play Korean Grind MMO's or Mobile games.

Also hearing the producer talking of them planning to relpace the LI system with yet another system that sounds bad and based on essences and more grind and most likely store monetization just felt like s punch in my face. Feeling forced to switch to some new weapons and lose all the work put into my LI's and possibly be up to par with the initial new weapon but then soon after get outdated with each expansion again. All the Emp Scroll I have worked my butt off to aquire and saved up to build secondary LI's, as well as when each lvl cap raiuse hits I have what I need stored up in alts bank storage, but will now instead all become useless. No thank You. All they needed to do was make Emp Scrolls and cystals more readily available for those that obvioulsy can not take that grind like I did. Not make all work the rest of us have put in get outdated and and new endless type of grind, maybe based on solvents or whatnot. Sounds like switching one bad thing for another bad thing. At least I felt I was almost done with current bad system and had it under control (only needing very few emp scrolls and crystals with each lvl cap raised), but now I will be pushed into a new system and all work wasted.

Oh and how Blue Hunter was ruined and now hunter as a whole also killed alot of the fun for me. Yes I play other classes too, but my Hunter was my first character and I don't enjoy feeling forced to play other classes, or even feel forced to play Red Hunter to participate in end-game content just because they ruined Blue-line and Hunter in general now.

Not to mention the poor state of game performance since Minas Morgul. Obviosuly either the bandwith SSG pay for, their server infrastructure, some code, or even maybe the US internet infrastaructure can't handle it. At least us from Europe often seem to get routed via the bad CenturyLink Level 3 backbone hops and they often are so bad on top of whatever else is causing the game to perform so badly. Making it a horrible experience. Why does other games not perform even near as bad even half the time as LoTRO does almost all the time now ??? Why do I get such bad routing to LoTRO's servers when my son or I don't get that to other games servers ??? It's like SSG has placed their servers in som dark hole that is hard to reach.

All these things adds up until it just breaks it all for me. Kills all the fun.

I acctually haven't even started the game to d/l and install the two or three latest .dot updates.

Such a shame as I have really liked this game over the years since early access, the atmosphere, the enviroment, world building, being middle-earth and all, story telling, even it's art-style and outfits etc. I have had some communication with some of the devs and found them really nice. I don't blame the devs for the current situation but the decisons that probably have been taken higher up in the company. However the current end-game design has just taken the fun out of it for me and even killed the rest of the game when knowing how end-game is. I can not be satisfied with only fiddling around in old content that I am way over leveled for, or take yet another alt through it all, as I have all the alts I want to have already and most of them are at 120+ or even some 130 (lvl cap). I don 't even want to take the rest from 120 to 130 as what is the point when end-game and the reward system (gearing up) is so horribly grindy to try to push us to pay for lootbox keys ??? I don't want to support that.

Oh well, You asked and that is my reply and where I am at, at the moment.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Mar 25 2020 at 03:40 PM.

I used to be a fairly hardcore raider in other games. When I came to LOTRO, I soon made the decision to solo with an occasional PUG. Sometimes I miss grouping, and having a real kin (I essentially inherited a dead kinship) but it's difficult to pick up the mechanics and gear for end game raiding at this point, and requires too much time. I still enjoy the content, and do my best to gear up as well as I can with solo content. I do wish I could work on my alts more, but the LI grind effectively killed any fun for that. It's still a good game to hang out in though.
    ~Erynaur, Champion of Crickhollow
    ~Butterpea, Hunter of Crickhollow
    ~Mylwen, Captain of Crickhollow

Sthrax is offline Defender of the Hornburg
    Wandering, but not lost

I used to be a hardcore raider. I was part of a multi-kin raid group that did T2C for most raids. Then Helm's Deep happened and within 6 months 75% of the group quit the game. By the time we hit Dol Amroth, only myself and 3 others still played the game. I managed to make it to Minas Tirith before taking an extended break. I came back just as Northern Mirkwood was released. I really enjoyed the content/leveling and took my time getting to max level (right before Ered Mithrin came out). Being endgame since then, I've tried to pick up PUGs here and there, but the gear situation is horrid, needlessly complicated, and needlessly like running on a hamster wheel. The gear situation makes it very difficult to PUG anything and most regular raid groups aren't looking for pick-ups that aren't heals, range DPS or captains, if they are looking for a pick-up at all. All the goodwill that came from the leveling/questing has since evaporated and I'm questioning how much longer I'll be playing again.

Not sure about hardcore, but I did like to join raids when a spot was open for a PUG. I haven't logged in for about 3 months, so I'd say that's pretty casual.

I used to be fairly hardcore but quit sometime after Central Gondor came out. I never liked the essence system and that contributed - it seemed to wrong to grind out good armour before doing raids - previously you did raids and hoped you'd get better gear from them - having something really good drop to you really felt like a reward. I spent several years away and came back when Mordor became lp-purchasable, after all, if you liked lotro, you had to make it all the way to Mordor. But I really hated (and still do) the imbuement grind and I only got 1 char equipped for raiding in Mordor (hated the grind to do that) but my heart wasn't in it. Since then I've just run my chars solo, ambling along with whatever gear I want and whatever skills I want and have actually enjoyed and lasted must longer doing that than trying to go back to raiding (or any instance running). You don't need to grind to get the best gear to do instances, you can have a good time just doing landscape stuff and I think there's quite a few players out there that know that these days. (And I still have a blue hunter cos I like playing it that way!)

I'm in that boat but I mostly made that transition years ago. Used to have 6-7 raid ready toons back in the Watcher/DN/BG/OD days and the kin used to spend a couple of nights a week raiding, the rest of the nights were gearing up alts to do more raiding. Then over time as with most kins in this game, it fizzled out and people stopped playing. I tried to come back when Mordor launched and gave it a go but didn't enjoy the region or the grind. I took another break and came back before MM released and I was trying to give it another attempt gearing up with the intent of running the Shelob raid but it didn't quite work out. The fun and grind ratio just don't match up and with having less time to play these days I had to throw in the towel and step away again.

There was a time where my champ had hit 50, he had book quest gear and maybe a weapon from BG yet he could still go into the Rift and not be useless. That's what got me into raiding in this game. There wasn't a high bar for entry and I discovered that I loved that style of group gameplay. Fast forward over 10 years and I could be wrong, but I doubt many people can hit 130 and then walk into the Shelob raid (maybe you could if you had a bunch of lootboxes or store items). At this point I'm one of those that's only going to be around for story updates or new zones being added or maybe check out a festival.

Gone from a Main Tank raider, occasional MT healer come filler in DPS. Which ever role it was I was intent on doing my best for the group.

Our old kin list shows the exodus at level 75 and 85. Those that remained that weren't lifers and dropped VIP largely broke our ability to do content together.

But now it's like elite athletes having to compete against doping abusers with the encouragement of the governing bodies. My marathon; I have hurdles to jump every 10 yards, others have none and only need to run to half way. Why would anyone like me want to associate with such people? People that pay up to have even more hurdles to be placed in my path so that they can get ahead of me.

No, expletive 'em.

No... After I stopped playing more seriously, I have occasionally tried to go casual or at least considered that, but it does not please me enough... Without goals, challenges to beat and such things, I can't find reasons to play. Don't get me wrong, I play only for fun, but for me, casual playing is sadly not fun, at least not in lotro.
    Laurelin mains: Tamien (R8 Warden) - Tanie (R9 Champion) - Tamieth (Hunter) - Tamia (Minstrel) - Challenger of Gothmog
    Laurelin creeps: Tamratz (R9 Warg) - Tambash (R8 Blackarrow)
    GW2 for LOTROers: https://bit.ly/2nYssrA

Yes.

Everquest: Casual to raider to hardcore raider - retired/quit
    Star Trek Online: Casual grouper to raider - retired
    SW:TOR: Casual to Grouper to Hard Core Raider - quit
    LOTRO: Casual all the way - currently planning to play till the hamsters stop running...
    Star Citizen: Development (Alpha) testing and playing - plan to solo, group, probably no raiding when live.
    Last edited by Gandolf_TheOld; Mar 26 2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

I was pretty hardcore raider, pvmp, min/maxer, the whole bit. Then we lost our best kin raid leader and the one who took over was nasty to the point I dreaded signing on. Said to self "what am I doing?" Took a little break and then came back to find kin pretty much missing. Started playing solo and enjoyed it again. Got the first best set of essences (gold from Ithilien or HoW, I think?). When they had more essences for Mordor, I said no thank you, and just used essences I found in the best armour for Embers I can get. I never had trouble keeping 14 (yes...14) alts LI's up to max (I'm odd and enjoy BB's and skirmishes), but the armour grind? no... Just keep my top two in the best sub-raid armour. The others get what they can get. They all do fine on landscape. I also stopped trying to "keep up" with the game. In other words, I'm usually one area behind the masses. No fighting for quest mobs or nodes. LOTS less lag. I'm currently in Mordor Besieged (I do Epics on all my alts. Rest of quests on 2 or 3 alts) and it's pretty quiet. No one pushing me to "git levelled up!" or "stop reading the quests!" I'm REALLY enjoying it! I'll probably do Minas Morgul after the next area update.

Everyone has to find their own path to happiness. Whatever you enjoy is the right way to play.

I used to play LotRO hardcore, but life happens. People come and go. New jobs and responsibilities fill your time.
    Now I just play casually.

Quite a while back. I used to not only raid, but lead kin instances. That was through Mirkwood. Then quality changed. I slowed the amount I did instances, fellowships and raids. Then DA came out. Essences were a return to Radiance and, at that point, it was clear annoying grinds were all Turbine, now SSG, cared about. I stopped and became a pure casual player. Unfortunately, I was proved correct.

Past level 105 the game is broken. The hole imbued item system takes too much grind.

And you can forget about leveling alts, that was over when the Imbued items arrived. A MMORPG without alts is dead! You will always have some hardcore fans but that's not a solution for a MMORPG it's something for a patreon.com fan made game.

World of Warcraft tried something like that Imbued weapons with their "Legendary Weapons" that had to be leveled up and they realized that killed alt leveling. They quickly added bonuses for alts like 10000% XP bonus that would almost instantly level up the alt weapons to the level of the main.

Imbued system must be moved from Item to Account. Until the developers do this the game is dead because after the Black Gate nothing is interesting enough to justify a grind.

I was an end game raider in both WoW and Conan. Always had the patience for endless wipes while learning new raids so I tended to be rewarded with being the primary hunter-puller in WoW and main tank bear shaman melee healer in Conan. I also played dps and healer alts in my guilds's second raids of the week. There was a time in Conan after one of my guilds folded where I got up early my time, to join an evening Aussie-Kiwi raid (their time) because raiding with polite, calm people is fun.

I've refrained from raiding because I started playing LOTRO after quitting WoW, then after a year and a half, suspended playing LOTRO because Conan was calling. Coming back to LOTRO about three years ago, I felt I was too far behind the raiding curve to catch up. I've since enjoyed LOTRO as a casual player as the story holds me and the deeds and quests are challenging enough for me.

Hardcore up to and including L100 endgame. Fully casual since. I don't pay them a cent for their trash endgame and p2w progression. I have an insane amount of nostalgia and yearning for BDO, but I know it would be hell. I've been resisting for years now. Endgame here is basically the same, so if I'm gonna enter hell, I would pick BDO over this. But I'm not so... premium, non-paying casual, like they deserve.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nostro44 View Post
    I never liked the essence system and that contributed - it seemed to wrong to grind out good armour before doing raids - previously you did raids and hoped you'd get better gear from them - having something really good drop to you really felt like a reward.
    +1

Doing instances/raids is fun.

Grinding for gear to do the above is not fun and in no way is overcome by the enjoyment of doing them now. So, I don't. Plus the DPS race mechanic is boring and used way too much nowdays.

From launch to Helms Deep, I was pretty hardcore. Ultimately the teetering mess that the LI system became made me quit the game for years. A few years ago I came back on a new account, and while I've pushed a few characters into Helms Deep, I've realized that I really enjoy the Moria and pre-Moria content and I've opted to embrace the Stone of the Tortoise and appreciate the early chapters of the game where the game mechanics served the story, rather than the reverse.

I recently came back after a 4 year absence. I used to Raid with the kin. After having done WoW and other games raiding I'm done with it. I solo now and I love it. LOTRO always had the best stories and I love every minute of just soloing, taking my time and enjoying the exploration. I started brand new with a new character because to me the strength of this game at least for me is the lower levels. I am enjoying it immensely.