We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Horse race Shire failed despite having time left after crossing finishing line?

Is the race bugged? We were two who clearly finished in time but the quest still failed?
    No sig whatsoever... oh wait....

Are you sure you didn't miss one of the gates?
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

It's happened to me a couple of times over the years, I think it's just a lag issue - you just have to try again. It's happened to me the other way round as well, it looks like my time has run out but I will still win the race.

Happened to me yesterday, it's lag.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Happened to me the first day, hasn't' happened since.

I would suspect lag. you may or may not have played the game long enough to know/remember that originally these horse races were against other players, rather than a timer. they had to change it because lag kept showing that you won when you actually didn't, making people get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadh View Post
    I would suspect lag. you may or may not have played the game long enough to know/remember that originally these horse races were against other players, rather than a timer. they had to change it because lag kept showing that you won when you actually didn't, making people get upset.
    Oh man, I remember that! There was such a huge fuss over it too. People also got into arguments because some felt that everyone should have a turn where they would win(there was some kind of reward for winning, I forget what it was), and others said "Hell No! I'm gonna race everytime and win every time!"

Yeah, it was a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    Oh man, I remember that! There was such a huge fuss over it too. People also got into arguments because some felt that everyone should have a turn where they would win(there was some kind of reward for winning, I forget what it was), and others said "Hell No! I'm gonna race everytime and win every time!"

Yeah, it was a mess.
    The reward was a token that let you buy a festival mount (I think festival tokens were still required as well). The whole situation was a bit of a mess, and while I do think the current version is missing something the original had, I think overall it is a better solution.
    Originally Posted by Damian6988
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post
    The reward was a token that let you buy a festival mount (I think festival tokens were still required as well). The whole situation was a bit of a mess, and while I do think the current version is missing something the original had, I think overall it is a better solution.
    I love your sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Elisawen View Post
    Is the race bugged? We were two who clearly finished in time but the quest still failed?
    Happend to me not long ago too. Once. For 8y of lotro. Guess is a new bug.

Lightbulb

Has happened to me quite a few times during the last few festivals. Not every time and not every day, but a few time during each festival. Very annoying as then there is a 1 hour cooldown (or something like that) until You can pick up the horse race quest again that day. If it happens at Shire race tgrack I usually just consider the race done for the day, as I'm not going back there again 1 hour later just for that. I just move on to next character to do all festival with. An alternative is to save it for last and do next caharacter if fail due to that issue and then when done with next character log in again and try once more. However I don't bother for only 3 or 4 tokens.

The lag has even made it so iot's easy to fall off the small wooden things and end up in the sticky stuff and get slowed down. I almost never had that happen, now it happens regularly due to lag and freezing. One thing that can help is to once ride around the track on Your regular mount and let all the lanscape load in once and then do the race. But when the Maze is active and players come and go at the Bree race track it doesn't help that much. New players will have arrived as You do the race and their skins will have to load in and You can end up freezing again while their skin loads. At least that was an issue last time. This time I haven't been logged in to do the festival. Best I guess is to try and do it at night when as few as possible on. Mostly I honestly skip the races as it takes more time to get there and do it than to log in an alt and do 2-3 other quests with that alt. Especially when festivals and most other quests are at the party tree.

As for how it worked in old days, yes You got a token that looked like a horse in Your wallet if You won the race. Used that together with a few regular festival tokens to barter for a mount. When they changed how it worked, You could barter that horse looking token for a number of regular festival tokens instead, if You still had one left over in Your wallet.