We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Where to start? (returning life-time subscriber 2.0)

Howdy people.

I originally played this back in beta and then through to 2009? I stopped and then returned during the time of of the Moria and Lothlorien expansion. And then I stopped again once I hit the level cap before the Mirkwood expansion.

My character is stuck on the closed Silverlode server.

I've completely lost any idea how to play this game and now that I've reinstalled it and bought some of the expansions I can see that so much has been added that I don't rightly know where to begin.

I'm keen on playing on the Anor server as I'd like to experience it all again, but I'm a bit remiss in seeing that people are already at Moria or close to.

I'd love to be able to re-experience the Shadows of Angmar epic quest line, but I'm worried I'm going to have to go into it solo.

Can I do that? Has instances changed to allow for the solo gameplay style? I have no idea how long it would take to catch-up to where the server cap is at the moment. Can anyone shed some advice?

Is there anything in the game that I should ignore for now as to not waste my time and be confused?

Looking forward to seeing you peeps out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CuzMikey View Post
    Howdy people.

I originally played this back in beta and then through to 2009? I stopped and then returned during the time of of the Moria and Lothlorien expansion. And then I stopped again once I hit the level cap before the Mirkwood expansion.

I've completely lost any idea how to play this game and now that I've reinstalled it and bought some of the expansions I can see that so much has been added that I don't rightly know where to begin.

I'm keen on playing on the Anor server as I'd like to experience it all again, but I'm a bit remiss in seeing that people are already at Moria or close to.

I'd love to be able to re-experience the Shadows of Angmar epic quest line, but I'm worried I'm going to have to go into it solo.

Can I do that? Has instances changed to allow for the solo gameplay style? I have no idea how long it would take to catch-up to where the server cap is at the moment. Can anyone shed some advice?

Is there anything in the game that I should ignore for now as to not waste my time and be confused?

Looking forward to seeing you peeps out there.
    Welcome back!

Unfortunately you'll have to create a new character or more in order to play, but the game is far, far, easier to solo than you remember. Just roll up your favorite class, log in, and go at it.

You've got to deal with trait trees now, but those can be reconfigured at any time for a fee. No more visiting the bard to make changes. For most classes Red Line is the high DPS line best for soloing, except Champ where yellow dual wield is just as good.

Lots of content has been rearranged and the landscape that you remember has changed quite a bit. For example, once you complete the beginner instance and end up in burning Archet you can exit that area in multiple directions rather than just the gate to Combe. There's been a few quest revamps as well, so you'll see NPCs in new locations giving out quests that you used to get elsewhere.

Note that Anor will NOT be the game that you remember. It's the current game with a hard level cap (I think it's up to 75 or maybe 85 now) and higher areas blocked off. The majority of the population is near the level cap.

If you have the LP to spare, you could purchase a Boost of the Valar in the in-game store (expensive at 6700 or so LP) and make yourself an instant level 120 character (not on Anor). Spend some time running all over Middle Earth sightseeing and get one character to level cap quickly. You can also spend LP on experience boost scrolls in the store. One kind gives +100% and another +200%. Both of these have 1.5 hour durations. A third kind gives you more bonus LP. Note that the blue bar of bonus LP resets to about 30% of the bar each morning at 2AM server time. No longer accumulates beyond that. If you're stuck at home with plenty of free time, then levelling will be pretty quick with XP boosts.

You can certainly redo the Epic quest line solo nowadays. It got revamped to be soloable and in certain spots you get an Inspiration boost to make you tough enough to handle it solo.

Crafting is easier and more streamlined. No more crafting quests to use expert equipment. Crafting gives XP now, too. You can easily level to 20-25 for a gold piece or two just by being a farmer and AFK planting without harvesting.

So, jump in and explore the new old world. Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Welcome back

You will be eventually able to transfer your character just problem being that none knows when. Transfer have been disabled for a while now due to some issues, they plan to open it again but no official info about date yet. Meanwhile can maybe start new char if you are up for it. Due to this worldwide situation with the virus, developers decided to open all quests, instances, skirmishes, including those in expansion packs, through April 30. In other words, all content is free in that time frame

--- Server transfer's have been down for a while now so they'll be stuck there for who knows how long.

--- Best bet, in fact the only bet in light of your guy being stuck on a closed server is to start over at lvl 1. Since so much of the game and procedures have changed it probably would be for the best anyway.

--- The 2 VIP only servers have been running for close to a year now. There are go slow kinships on them so you might be able to hook up with one of those so they wouldn't be massively higher than you.

--- Yes, when the pop started to slip, the Dev's redid the game to allow for more solo play. Now when you come up on what used to be a group only quest it's either easier, optional or the quest giver will give you a buff item so you can run it solo.

--- Lootboxes. Keys no longer drop so you have to buy them in store. All in all it's just not worth it, I just destroy any that show up in my inventor.
    Welcome back.