We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Cosmetic features for Elves and High Elves?

    I wonder: how much effort would it take to patch the variety of colours one can choose from to define Elves Hair/Eyes/Skin complexions?

    I'd like to have the possibility to define various shades of colours.

    Expecially SILVER hair for Elf race!
    Since common middle earth Elves -be they of Sindarin or Nandorin origins it doesn't matter- come all from the Third Host, the Teleri, it is not uncommon in the Legendarium they show silver-blonde hair or even silver coloured hair (even if Tolkien never defined if by silver he meant more of a silvery-blonde or an exact pale grey-silver, the latter being maybe not so common since it was a defining characteristic of King Elwe "Sindicollo" meaning "grey cloak")


    Regarding High Elf:
    even if they should 99,999% be Noldor elves (so: JET BLACK HAIR), they could show some more variety of Vanyarin and Telerin inherited characteristics such as the possible choice of an expecially pale complexion (Vanyarin): what baffles me is High Elf ALREADY have those proper hair colours common between Vanyar and Teleri such as rich golden hair (which is a feature of the Vanyar) and silver hair (which is more of a Telerin thing, but it is hard to reproduce in LOTRO with the "Elf" race, which is a literal nonsense!) and this baffles me because it's SO UNCOMMON among Noldor to have blonde hair that in the Legendarium the ones with blonde hair are actually sticking out from the others!

    BUT

    in LOTRO they lack of the feature of some expecially dark hair that is THE main defining feature of Noldor people!!!

    It would be nice if High Elf could show some red hair too, since it is actually attested in Tolkien even if uncommon (Mahtan, Nerdanel and Maedhros all had copper-red hair)


    So I believe a future patch could address those issues if they are easy to fix as I believe they are:

    - add some shades of light-blonde and light-silver hair for every common Elf Race, no matter what region they hail from!
    - add the choice of some COMPLETELY JET BLACK HAIR to every single High Elf no matter whence they hail from!
    - Maybe add some red shades to High Elf hair choice?
    - Maybe add the possibility of an even paler skin complexion for High Elves?

    I don't know if this is nitpicking since I'm not even complaining but I believe this should be a fairly easy thing to address

  2. #2
    I'd like to obtain some feedback from older players, even if adding a couple of shades into colour selection doesn't look that much of an issue to me ^__^

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,295
    I'd love to be able to change elf hair colours based on the region chosen on character creation. Since they added the ability to change more appearances after creation, I tend to be less careful when creating a character, because I know I can change most of it later on in the main game. It has made me complacent and on my most recent high elf, who's name is bases on the colour white, I chose the wrong region and now he is stuck with only dark colours for hair, and cannot get anywhere near white Totally my own fault of course, but still a bit annoying.

    I'll probably re-roll at some point because if will inevitably bug me to the point I'll need to change it.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by KanjarVero View Post
    I wonder: how much effort would it take to patch the variety of colours one can choose from to define Elves Hair/Eyes/Skin complexions?

    I'd like to have the possibility to define various shades of colours.

    Expecially SILVER hair for Elf race!
    Since common middle earth Elves -be they of Sindarin or Nandorin origins it doesn't matter- come all from the Third Host, the Teleri, it is not uncommon in the Legendarium they show silver-blonde hair or even silver coloured hair (even if Tolkien never defined if by silver he meant more of a silvery-blonde or an exact pale grey-silver, the latter being maybe not so common since it was a defining characteristic of King Elwe "Sindicollo" meaning "grey cloak")


    Regarding High Elf:
    even if they should 99,999% be Noldor elves (so: JET BLACK HAIR), they could show some more variety of Vanyarin and Telerin inherited characteristics such as the possible choice of an expecially pale complexion (Vanyarin): what baffles me is High Elf ALREADY have those proper hair colours common between Vanyar and Teleri such as rich golden hair (which is a feature of the Vanyar) and silver hair (which is more of a Telerin thing, but it is hard to reproduce in LOTRO with the "Elf" race, which is a literal nonsense!) and this baffles me because it's SO UNCOMMON among Noldor to have blonde hair that in the Legendarium the ones with blonde hair are actually sticking out from the others!

    BUT

    in LOTRO they lack of the feature of some expecially dark hair that is THE main defining feature of Noldor people!!!

    It would be nice if High Elf could show some red hair too, since it is actually attested in Tolkien even if uncommon (Mahtan, Nerdanel and Maedhros all had copper-red hair)


    So I believe a future patch could address those issues if they are easy to fix as I believe they are:

    - add some shades of light-blonde and light-silver hair for every common Elf Race, no matter what region they hail from!
    - add the choice of some COMPLETELY JET BLACK HAIR to every single High Elf no matter whence they hail from!
    - Maybe add some red shades to High Elf hair choice?
    - Maybe add the possibility of an even paler skin complexion for High Elves?

    I don't know if this is nitpicking since I'm not even complaining but I believe this should be a fairly easy thing to address
    I enjoyed reading, and concur with your thoughts.

    Seregrian's backstory (in brief) is that she is of Noldorin heritage - but her foreparents left the march from Cuivienen and joined the Nandor in the Vales of Anduin. She and her parents continued the journey and arrived in Beleriand in time for the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. But now, Seregrian is an orphan...

    This is why she has the jet-black hair and grey eyes of her kin, despite the fact she never left for the Blessed Realm.
    Estannen Seregrian, istriel i Imladris...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I'd love to be able to change elf hair colours based on the region chosen on character creation. Since they added the ability to change more appearances after creation, I tend to be less careful when creating a character, because I know I can change most of it later on in the main game. It has made me complacent and on my most recent high elf, who's name is bases on the colour white, I chose the wrong region and now he is stuck with only dark colours for hair, and cannot get anywhere near white Totally my own fault of course, but still a bit annoying.

    I'll probably re-roll at some point because if will inevitably bug me to the point I'll need to change it.
    I slightly changed appereance to my Rohirric Champion since I realised I didn't 100% like it, but I'd like the ability to choose the "proper" shades of colours during character creation, a thing that I find difficult with Elves and High Elves: my Mirkwood Hunter has grey elderly hair because it's the closest I could get to either silvery-blonde (which seems to be common in the Third Host) or to pure bright-silver (which maybe was something mostly or almost only Elwe had due to having "changed" together with Melian during their spiritual love embrace under the stars, but then again Tolkien refers to the Silver in Teleri hair and Gold in Vanyar hair to explain how Galadriel got her unique hair resembling the Two Trees).

    A question tho: are you implying that after character creation if I go to a barber EVERY existing shade of colour should unlock for me to choose from, regardless of the province of hailing of my toon?



    Quote Originally Posted by Seregrian View Post
    I enjoyed reading, and concur with your thoughts.

    Seregrian's backstory (in brief) is that she is of Noldorin heritage - but her foreparents left the march from Cuivienen and joined the Nandor in the Vales of Anduin.
    Which is 100% possible lore-wise since we know for a fact that the only Host whose every single person reached Valinor are the Vanyar.
    A good chunk of the Tatyar/Noldor didn't even start the Voyage.

    She and her parents continued the journey and arrived in Beleriand in time for the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. But now, Seregrian is an orphan...

    This is why she has the jet-black hair and grey eyes of her kin, despite the fact she never left for the Blessed Realm.
    That's an interesting backstory and one I'd likely expect to find in a tLotR themed rpg, that's why I was wondering if maybe unlocking more shades of colours for every Elven race would be better in any case and not only for certain origins.


    What I find strange is that my High Elf has a difficult time getting real Jet-Black colour (I believe I can only have shades of dark brown, which is a completely different colour and I'd know a thing or two about that since I'm mediterranean and can easily spot dark chestunt form brown from dark brown from REAL jet-black or raven-black which is a thing only asian, indian and some african people commonly have and is incredibly rare in Europe, even in southern mediterraneum!) and my Elf has a hard time getting silvery-blonde hair or light-silver hair or anything in between those colours that maybe might even be one of the most common and proper choice for non-Noldor elves...
    Last edited by KanjarVero; Mar 19 2020 at 11:40 AM.

  6. #6
    So I experimented a little bit more and found out that, in fact, High Elves do sport ONE kind of raven-black/jet-black hair colour which is placed on the left bottom where the grey colours are, it is basically an extremely dark grey.

    Still it is practically only ONE shade of black which is almost jet black and it looks like a poor thing if compared to a lot of other shades one can choose from and if compared to the fact that one would expect High Elf to mainly sport the "raven-black hair of the Noldor" Tolkien described!

    Also: it is in fact extremely difficult to get some reddish colours for High Elves even if red was theoretically attested in Noldor people.
    I found some shades of Auburn-ish Blonde or Auburn-ish Chestunt and I was able to find some shades of let's say "ancient gold" or "reddish gold" but I cannot find any satisfying shade of pure ginger or pure copper or pure auburn hair for High Elves


    With the common Elves race I looked again for Silver Hair but nay, I can only obtain some shades of GREY which are less variable and less shiny and less bright than those I can choose with High Elves and this thing is a literal nonsense because I'd rather expect THE OPPOSITE, lore-wise, smh.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload