We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Strange symbol in Avabarg

Greetings! I have been studying the history of the Northmen of Rohan, Dale and Vales of Anduin for a long time. Recently, I discovered something that drove me into bewilderment and almost deprived of faith in the knowability of the world. This is the symbol above the entrance to the Avabarg fortress. Why is the same symbol in the ancient fortress of Eotheod as in the Arnorian fortresses of the North Downs? Okay, I even know that the princes of Eotheod of Avabarg took part in the Battle of the Fornost Fields. But I still can’t imagine how this symbol ended up in their castle. They saw it in the Fields of Fornost, liked it and decided to copy it? Or what? Please help me find the answer to this question before I get drunk.
    I can’t attach the image, but the symbol shows five spruces on the left and right and a tower with three prongs in the center. You can see it above the entrance to Avabarg (on the landscape) and, for example, in the fortress of Minas Vrun in the Fields of Fornost.

Quote Originally Posted by Arandir_rus View Post
    Greetings! I have been studying the history of the Northmen of Rohan, Dale and Vales of Anduin for a long time. Recently, I discovered something that drove me into bewilderment and almost deprived of faith in the knowability of the world. This is the symbol above the entrance to the Avabarg fortress. Why is the same symbol in the ancient fortress of Eotheod as in the Arnorian fortresses of the North Downs? Okay, I even know that the princes of Eotheod of Avabarg took part in the Battle of the Fornost Fields. But I still can’t imagine how this symbol ended up in their castle. They saw it in the Fields of Fornost, liked it and decided to copy it? Or what? Please help me find the answer to this question before I get drunk.
    I can’t attach the image, but the symbol shows five spruces on the left and right and a tower with three prongs in the center. You can see it above the entrance to Avabarg (on the landscape) and, for example, in the fortress of Minas Vrun in the Fields of Fornost.
    Fornost was created by the original developers of Turbine. Rohan also was created by Turbine but was owned by the WB at that time. Both areas, Fornost and Rohan, are fictional developments due to there is very very little mentioned about them in the book content available for them to use. I can guess that symbol was simply re-used.
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    Fornost was created by the original developers of Turbine. Rohan also was created by Turbine but was owned by the WB at that time. Both areas, Fornost and Rohan, are fictional developments due to there is very very little mentioned about them in the book content available for them to use. I can guess that symbol was simply re-used.
    Perhaps, but until the last I do not want to believe that this symbol was copied simply by accident. I want to believe in this world and that there are no rash accidents in it, and I hope that there is some explanation.

Most stone fortreses between Annuminas and Minas Morgul were built by the Exiles of Numenor. If you look at the various fortresses of Eroador they have some common motifs, the Star of The North Kingdome being one. As you move south and enter lands once under the influence if not direct rule of the King in Minas Anor the White Tree motif starts to predominate but there are still some common themes.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    They saw it in the Fields of Fornost, liked it and decided to copy it? Or what? Please help me find the answer to this question before I get drunk.
    Then answer is: Copy & Paste

PS: if you get drunk, don't drive!

Perhaps, but until the last I do not want to believe that this symbol was copied simply by accident. I want to believe in this world and that there are no rash accidents in it, and I hope that there is some explanation.

It wasn't an "accident". And, as others have said, there IS an "explanation". To save time and money, the Devs at the time reused the same symbol. I know it's a bummer for immersion...but there are numerous things like this in the game (and most games, for that matter) to which the player just has to look-the-other-way.

OR, you can come up with a very creative backstory for why it happened...and then never share it with anyone so that they can't try to shoot down your idea.

Whichever brings more peace to your game play.

Good luck.

It is not an intentional attempt to link the cultures - more likely, the designer building the space liked the general look of the asset and didn't realize the iconography was on the asset at the time of placement. That said - a perfect opportunity for a little art request to be made for a custom piece to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    It is not an intentional attempt to link the cultures - more likely, the designer building the space liked the general look of the asset and didn't realize the iconography was on the asset at the time of placement. That said - a perfect opportunity for a little art request to be made for a custom piece to replace it.
    Thank you! Will do it.

Pics for the curious:

Avabárg

Minas Vrûn
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

It never ceases to amaze me how great an eye for detail some of the game players have. We often praise the world builders on their eye for detail and glorious artworks, and rightfully so. And then a player pops in with something they have found on a wall somewhere that they probably saw somewhere else years ago. Wow, that's impressive.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how great an eye for detail some of the game players have. We often praise the world builders on their eye for detail and glorious artworks, and rightfully so. And then a player pops in with something they have found on a wall somewhere that they probably saw somewhere else years ago. Wow, that's impressive.
    Absolutely Arnenna! Couldn't agree more! :-)

And well done Arandir_rus for spotting this intriguing detail, and sharing!

PS: Thank you Thurallor for the pics!
    Another one bites the dust...