We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange gravitational (?) anomaly in Pelennor

I don't know what string I could use to find an answer to this question without getting several thousand matches that don't match.

So I'll just ask.

In the last several days I've been sending various characters out to South Gate to run the Harlond instance (gathering SoEs for my alts). I put the character on a nice fast horse and ride into the southwest...

and at approximately 68.0S 15.1W, the horse suddenly goes off the road, streaking fifteen or twenty virtual meters toward the south, before I can stop him.

Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone any explanation for it?
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Yep, I often do that southwards slide. No idea why. But I find that if I briefly stop before I get to the slide point, I can continue with no mishaps. Maybe there's something in the graphics that gets out of sync, and the brief stop allows everything to catch up. Who knows?

Next time this happens, can you please use /loc and let us know the information that output? This allows us to get exactly where we need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    Next time this happens, can you please use /loc and let us know the information that output? This allows us to get exactly where we need to go.

You are at: r3 lx1317 ly566 ox118.96 oy131.93 oz166.24 h208.1

I had to go back after I slid to approximately where the slide started. Hope this helps!

I experienced this many times in that area, riding towards South Gate. I thought it was an issue with graphics data loading, like it was trying to load up all the Harlond details while it also had Minas Tirith and Osgiliath stuff loaded up.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

We did all this reporting after the datacentre move, it been like this ever since, just getting worse as times goes on. Are you telling us you haven't got all these details any more? Do absolutely none of you play the game enough to ever have to ride across south Pelennor to do MT dailies? Have any even acquired the rep to opened up the dailies?

The "swerve" is a general symptom of War-steed movement and can occur just about anywhere, just especially prevalent in Pelennor, as it's a "popular" (that is to say very necessary) route for players stuck with the insane scroll grind.

If you take the road out of MT toward Turgon at the south wall you can bank on the first righthand bend and following straight being the most problematic. But it can happen on many routes to the south. Another really poor performing area is the an Uruk spawning to the north of Turgon just over a little bridge. The server will take 10 to 30 seconds to resolve where your client character should be along with inevitable skill lag on first arrival. /loc is too specific it's more wide-spread. It's all tied into that first loading of the area. Those of us with low memory have to be wary of "unloading" MT/Pelennor to mitigate effects. Teleporting your test char into a /loc to look around will not repeat the journey from MT to the specific location.

I'd say test on a rig to match what my friend says is my "potato" PC but she has the exact same difficulties on her super rig. We joke about where the "swerves" will have us end up: dumped in a river, face in the south wall, stuck in a siege engine. I think my "There has been an error" this week might have been getting lagged into the middle of the wall and inaccessible. So 32 Megs or 6 Megs, it's an even (un)playing field.

Of course the problem is worse toward the end of the week before the servers are switched off and no again, and with higher population (Evernight), peak times.

If there is finally some resolve to fix these issues, great, but history tells us differently.

Imo mt and pelennor fields are close to the engine limits of the game, it use a lot of memory and probably other server resources thats why we had a lot of crashes there on 32 bit client. Warsteeds are also fancy coded thing using strange pathing routes thats why you can be stuck in some object when on your screen you continue moving until some point where you just stuck at some moment. Also i often can see going under textures and flying everywhere especially in locations where we see a lot of objects like ruins, stairs etc.

I think some kind of rework with objects is needed in mt and pelennor fields to reduce loads and make things more smooth and not so annoying.

I have seen that anomaly for years, can't recall though if that occured right from the start when MT was released.

Could be anything from freeze and wide slide to being catapulted into the middle of orc camp in the south. Sometimes with extra effects like dark or transition screen. Seen it on 3 different rigs by now, using various ISPs.

We used to joke about it in our kin, betting how far off the track we'll end up that day.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

Yes, it's been happening for years. I've bugged it twice that I can recall.

The problem with providing a /loc is that by the time you need to do a /loc you aren't at the /loc you want. You're somewhere off in the distance, very possibly surrounded by enemies or even, as happened once to me, a warband.

Yes this is an old glitch, reported years ago from me and a few kinmates.

There is no specific /loc for this

This glitch has been around a very long time, as already stated in the thread, and there is no specific /loc for it. In my experience, it happens most in the location shown in the image below. Hit any point in the orange area while riding a war steed, and you get pushed over to a spot in the pink area.

Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Not everyone on the team now has been on the team forever. And my asking for more information doesn't mean that any bug reporting that might have been done using the available tools for reporting don't work - I personally don't have the bug in my queue (for example, if its classified as a server bug, or a mounted combat bug, it wouldn't get in to my queue anyway because neither is my job).

Having this information means that I can look into the issue and see if there is anything the jumps out to me, as a world designer, that might help provide either more information for the person who would be responsible for the fix, or discover the fix outright.

More information is always helpful - but its not a promise that a fix will result from any one specific piece of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    This glitch has been around a very long time, as already stated in the thread, and there is no specific /loc for it. In my experience, it happens most in the location shown in the image below. Hit any point in the orange area while riding a war steed, and you get pushed over to a spot in the pink area.
    Yes, that's one of the areas affected. I've also encountered it further down to the south, past Pel Duven farm while on the road or approaching the road.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

I understand Senario is keen to jump on anything in his remit but this goes into the heart of the game engine, with years of assets piled on top of each other; massive columns that we "see" just the top of, all sort of assets "unseen" below the surface, an ugly mess underneath, all to be rendered by our client for the final reveal.

Piling this stuff into the game without appreciating what it does to playability is criminal.

Our reports go into a black hole if it's deemed not an issue. Can none of you actually go into the "real" world on your own character because you actually play this game. Come on MoL, Vastin, Tybur and Cord you say you play this game, just ride out of town and show your non playing colleagues how it plays and has done for the last six years.

This is still happening? Ugh. I haven't taken the road to the south gate in years because the sliding got too annoying. Instead, I turn south as soon as I leave the main gate, then catch the road again around Pel Duven. I still regularly find lag somewhere between Pel Duven and the bridge, but it's way less annoying than taking the road the whole way.
    Spam Egg Sausage And Spam of Gladden (formerly Silverlode)
    Theozor Viazald human captain 119 | Brau Steinmeister dwarf guardian 130 | Bindore dwarf hunter 112

Crunchy Frogs of Brandywine
    Oxandrium dwarf champion 130 | Bufflekil stout-axe hunter 123 | Randagnofus Ridiculous human loremaster 109

I just experienced this glitch (again) around 70.9S, 17.9W. I failed to take note of where I first stopped and an approximating where it started. Hope this helps.

Hit me really good Monday night. Swerved before I crossed the bridge near South gate dailies, ended up stuck in the bridge. Almost sent in a /stuck, but suddenly rubberbanded again and wound up, dazed and confused, at the bottom of the stairs before Harlond. I've even rubberbanded on regular mounts there, though not nearly so extreme.
    Crickhollow server: Argwerael (LM 120), Leofcwyn (Champ 87), Pearblossom (Mini 91), Gwilithil (Hunter 58), Verdani (Beorning, 40), Mapleblossom (Burg 37), Esgalnoril (RK 27), Beorghyth (Cappy 19)

Quote Originally Posted by kudurru1 View Post
    Yes, that's one of the areas affected. I've also encountered it further down to the south, past Pel Duven farm while on the road or approaching the road.
    I've seen it around there too.

MT is a system killer. I crashed so many times in and around MT on a 32-bit system that I barely played the game for months because I was so frustrated by it.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

The gravitational pull is exerted by Kur-anchi, a mumak warband.

Ah, the infamous Minas Tirith Sideways Sweep. Always feel it in my stomach, that one.

It is in that little curved connection between the SE and SW roads. Another one is at the SE corner of Pel Duven.

Few people know that a ring of quantum black holes hold open the dimensional gate through which elves 'sail west'. Unfortunately, the gravitational torus comprising the gate occasionally perturbs, causing space-time compression and expansion fluctuations experienced as lag, disconnects, and warsteed wormhole slingshotting. The final war against Sauron was initiated by the Valar when they discovered that their former subject was experimenting with warsteed wormhole slingshotting (WWS) as a means to deliver large quantities of Barrow Brie into various estates located throughout Valinor.

I always thought warsteed wormhole slingshotting occurred because my computer could not load graphics stuff fast enough.

Please pardon my stupid diagram:
    -----A-> B ---C-> ------D-> E -----------F-> ------G->

A) I am riding along on my warsteed and everything seems normalish.
    B) I ride into an area with lots of new graphics thingys.
    C) My computer struggles to load the new stuff but I keep moving along, holding down the forward key the whole time.
    D) Information on my key presses gets passed to the server which thinks I should be at (D).
    E) The server asks my client where I am and discovers the huge discrepancy. It tells my client to get a grip and put me in the correct position.
    F) My client now knows I should be at (F) and the graphics have finally loaded so I experience a warsteed wormhole slingshot effect to that position.
    G) Middle-space-time returns to normality and my warsteed slows to standard cruising speed.

It should be noted that, very rarely, while experiencing a warsteed wormhole slingshot, a small asteroid gets pulled into the middle-space-time anomaly along the path of travel. Since my warsteed is not armed with photon torpedoes, this results in a crash and defeat. I have repeatedly asked Master Elrond to properly balance the warp engines of my warsteed but he always blows me off and orders the guards to remove the crazy elf girl from his library.

Since I have a sucky computer and cannot replace it any time soon, and since Master Elrond hates me, I suggest adding photon torpedoes to my warsteed at the earliest possible convenience. It would also be wonderful if my warsteed could have aft torpedoes and an emote to aim and fire them at dwarves.

Thank you for your consideration.
    Last edited by SophieTheEnchantress; Feb 28 2020 at 12:44 AM.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

I sort of b-line to the south gate thus running through Pel Duven almost all the time. The general area I've seen this was right before the farm.
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

By the way, there is another slingshotted-to-the-side spot in Talath Urui (Plateau of Gorgoroth). When you are coming from the northwest, and are getting closer to Fushaum Bal - not yet at the northern bridge, only maybe the elongated line of its northern wall - you are suddenly swerved west by nearly ten meters, and end up in between Easterlings and salamanders, where you carry on for about seven or ten meters, and - blam - are thrown back onto the road. Double Whammo.

I also attributed that to a mis-synchronization of server and client info; and wish the borders between the landscape tiles were placed in adifferent way, so that there doesn't have to be so much traffic right at the edge of a new landscape area. Currently it looks as if sending the status of eg camp inhabitants and mobs - all that at the same time - is too much information for the connection, and cannot be processed in the short time it should.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

This sounds like a case of After-Battle Pelenor affecting Pre-Battle Pelenor, many of the areas mentioned have quite a lot of things in the way After-Battle as opposed to being clear Pre-Battle.
    Footman Ryvick DonHuntstead 120 Guardian

Officer of Baruk Khazad

Arkenstone Server

Just experienced it again on my burglar. Approximately 69.5S/17.2W (just east of Pel Duven.) Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast