We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Ill Omens and items brought to light.

A couple of things Ive noticed running Ill omens.

Currency caps at the worst implementation in the game, who here has never seen the dreaded you have received 0 (items) due to currency cap?

Ill omens has a currency cap of 50, 50!
    You need 40 to get most items, Problem is that, I enter a T3 skirm with 38 tokens, Kill the harbringer and get 4 tokens, then complete a harbringer kill X amount slayer deed, that I didnt even know of, for 10 more.
    Instant loss of 2 tokens. Pure BS.

Next Ill Omens bring to light how pathetic skirm solderiers are.
    I use either a warrior or herbalist based on the char I am running.
    Warrior does around 1k hits, but does manage to grab agro some times. Useless.

Herbalist give a HOT of about 33-50 morale a sec ( HOT seems to be usually 100-300 every 3 sec ). With some ultimate skill of around 3-4k
    The best herbalist heal is lower then the lowest mob hit.
    Again useless.

Currency caps need to be removed or increased. Since most items from instances are bind to account, items from currency should be the same and have caps removed. Many of my alts are weak and need all the help they can get.
    The constant grind for the mains prevents me from playing many of the alts to get geared, and sine they are not geared they can't run instances to get better gear and settle for items from currency purchases and bind to account items.

Skirm soldiers have never been of much use, but dis help a bit n the past. But it seems that they have never been scaled to level 130 instance requirements.
    All my skirm soldiers are at max training, and have their ultimate skill. But seem to be of no use other then wasting marks.

Please, SSG, fix these items.

Lightbulb

All of which was pointed out a year ago when we last had this event and cap was 120. Especially the soldiers, as well as certain NPC allies that hasn'tr scaled up since LvL cap was 105.

It was also pointed out by some of us before this event. Even reported directly to SSG...

...and nothing was done...again...

Just like we have pointed out time after time that the lag in LoTRO is insane compared to other games and services (yes server lag + internet lag). As if LoTRO servers is placed in a location that often is behind a black hole that we need to pass. Like today this site is loading like a snail. Often with error message that it can't be reached etc. I just did a tracert to the site and cant even reach it atm. After 7 hops where ping went from 21 ms to 129 ms on the 6th hop and then after after the 6th hop it's just "* * * Request timed" out until the tracert has done it's 30 tries. Not even getting an end trace at the destination..

And YES, hop 6 is in USA, "The timezone of 4.69.214.37 is America/Denver. Then after that hop 7 (United States - Level 3 Communications, Inc.) starts of course. As usual the proble is somwhere in USA (like a black hole we need to pass through/get routed via shortly before the lotro servers that sucks our ping to a halt).

5 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms 212.73.252.69
    6 * 128 ms 129 ms 4.69.214.37 Timezone of 4.69.214.37 is America/Denver
    7 128 ms 129 ms 128 ms 4.31.43.210 United States - Level 3 Communications, Inc.

Add to that the server lag and freezes with skill delays etc.

And after years of this and many threads with customers trace routes...

...nothing has been done. The servers are still in a location where us from outside USA have to pass through that black hole soemwhere in USA and suffer packet losses, increased ping and whatnot. See a pattern here ???

Yes You guess it, nothing is done and all we are met with is often silence when isuues like these are brought up.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 25 2020 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W_T_D View Post
    A couple of things Ive noticed running Ill omens.
    Ill omens has a currency cap of 50, 50!
    You need 40 to get most items, Problem is that, I enter a T3 skirm with 38 tokens, Kill the harbringer and get 4 tokens, then complete a harbringer kill X amount slayer deed, that I didnt even know of, for 10 more.
    Instant loss of 2 tokens.
    Normally I am a defender of currency caps because I rather have a cap than thousands of different currencies. But 50 is a big mistake here, because of the issue you ran into. This should be fixed asap to 70 or 80. Nothing would be lost for SSG with this new cap. This should be part of the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    It was also pointed out by some of us before this event. Even reported directly to SSG...

...and nothing was done...again...

Yes You guess it, nothing is done and all we are met with is often silence when issues like these are brought up.

Exactly right. So many customers' feedback and warnings ignored...again.

"The great thing about being ignored is that you can speak the truth with impunity." -Steve Aylett

IMHO - they need add "remove currency cap with LP" function. People who need currency cap will still have currency cap. People who hate currency cap can remove it.

I actually was at 48 the other day, thinking.. ok I will run one more, then see which useless pet to buy next...
    Run a skirmish, take down the harbinger, bang! Deed complete, 10 tokens poof. Not that I care much cause there isn't a single useful thing to barter them for.
    I would dearly love for a dev to come out here and explain the actual thought process behind this cap.

"Oh noes, some player might amass enough tokens to buy TWO bat pets at once!!! Or a bat AND a cloak! Such travesty shall not be allowed!"

Forget the bats, just remember the real reward why we all run this in masses: super gold essence that is 1.14 x better than current tier 3 one!

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    I would dearly love for a dev to come out here and explain the actual thought process behind this cap.

"Oh noes, some player might amass enough tokens to buy TWO bat pets at once!!! Or a bat AND a cloak! Such travesty shall not be allowed!"

Nomination for Post of the Week.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    Nomination for Post of the Week.
    Don't forget what in 2019 we even don't have bats, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    IMHO - they need add "remove currency cap with LP" function. People who need currency cap will still have currency cap. People who hate currency cap can remove it.
    Yes or remove currency cap for all VIP's.
    (as well as lift Dark Omens cap to 100)
    -~-~ The Silverchairs of Crickhollow ~-~-
    -~-~
    Kurtric, Marcusson, Adelaidrien
    -~-~

"i want my 2 tokens"

I just found out there is a currency cap of 50 - yes thread of the week. Why, why, why?

I didnt run this last year, and would like to figure what I want before spending or if I even finish the event, like you can do for most barter festival/event items What they afraid that we will save up all the tokens to break the server with all the pets we can buy?

Please remove or explain that there is a cap during an event. Didn't know until I wasn't given my 2 tokens, the cap message and then found this thread.

"I WANT MY 2 TOKENS" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lillipia View Post
    I just found out there is a currency cap of 50 - yes thread of the week. Why, why, why?

I didnt run this last year, and would like to figure what I want before spending or if I even finish the event, like you can do for most barter festival/event items What they afraid that we will save up all the tokens to break the server with all the pets we can buy?

Apparently, yes. They are running low on cosmetic pets. Specifically, due to the virus situation in China, there are shortages of pixels that bark or fly.

Seriously though...of course you are right. It makes absolutely NO sense. The ridiculous low cap irritated LOTS of customers last year...many of them complained...and there was never any response from the Devs. Now, a year later, the pattern continues.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_EU View Post
    Forget the bats, just remember the real reward why we all run this in masses: super gold essence that is 1.14 x better than current tier 3 one!
    I acctually decided on Tuesday to just cancel grinding this event this year. That after having acctually started it on multiple alts, but just felt I've had enough after some days.

Partly due to the rewards being NERFed in comparison to last year. Like an upcoming Phys Mastery T4 craftable account bound Essence will be +19246. While one of the gold ones from playing 12 days of 3-4 skirmishes each day would reward one, yes ONE, character bound essence with +21245 phys mastery, or say a +1,682 Vitaly T4 account bound craftable essences vs 1 gold character bound +1,837 Vitality essence etc. Yes the bag they come in orginally is account bound but once You open that the box and essence inside will become character bound. Once You add that essence to a gear piece that piece will also become character bound. Even if You later remove the essence, the gear piece will still remain character bound (tried that last year). The gold essences will make it so I can't share acct bound gear pieces batween alts anymore. Simply not worth it for that much grind for 12 days. Not for an essence, not even if You grind 5 characters and get 5 essences and use all 5 on one character as that will just multiple the grind with 5. Just more work. It's just too much time and grind for that small of an increase.

On top of that, what would be the point on running T3 130 anyway ??? As the deed has not been built on this year either. Not even reset, so if You did the deed last year, well this year You get nothing, as the deed is registered as completed. All You get is 1 essnce for the 12 days wrapper quest. Doing trhis oon multipel alts simply takes too much time away each day form all the other daily and weekly grinds that one now must go through to get any rewards in this game and build ones character and gear. I simply don't have time for yet another daily grind and not having fun when doing it. LoTRO feels more and more like some Korean grind till You drop MMO. I guess that is the idea, as then people might buy solvents in the store to craft essences instead.

However what really tipped me over is that I'm not having fun this year like I did last year. With the scaling of Skirmish sodiers not having been fixed since LvL 105 it's too much of hassle to even run it on T3 130 solo. It was bad enough at T3 120 solo (but doable). Each skirmish take too long and not only that but in skirmishes like Ford of Bruinen (and a few other) the NPC allies end up dead due to them not being scaled either and fail alot fo the time (took me many failed attempts solo) to finally have to do it duo to not fail. As I said not fun or even challenging and just stupid really, simply due to scaling not working as it should. I don't mind failing when I know I have played bad and it's all my fault, but to fail due to mechanics and scaling not working due to a company not having done their jobs in years to scale up their mechanics, is just not fun. So either I play it on silly easy T1 8 LvL's below my LvL, or on T3 130 solo and fail due to mechanics not having been updated. Neither option is fun. Not to me anyway. I like the challenge to be able to complete something solo. Knowing it was all my own doing. Not possible this year on some classes I play. It would have been challenging solo but at least possible if the skirmish soldiers scaled and the NPC allies scaled.

So in the end, an event that is/was a great idea in theory but due to how the mechanics have been ignore and not scaled properly to current LvL cap, plus rewards not being worth it for the amount of time put into achieveing them on top of all other grinds, it simply is an event I will now skip. Sad but true. Well my honest opinion anyway.

You know T3 counts even if run at like lvl 123?
    I did mine on 125. Finished my T3 deed yesterday. Rather underwhelming improvement...

Problem is if they scale up Skirmish Soldiers by adding new levels, they will make those levels cost even greater stupidly high amounts of Marks. I use a Herbalist for my Lore-master, have not had a problem, though sometimes the enemies will go straight for her if the Black Onyx Lynx is busy fighting someone else.

I didn't do this last year as I didn't have the Moria Skirmishes unlocked and every day I thought about doing it, was a Moria day. This January into early February, I blew through Vol II Books 2-6. I've had to buy Pet as I reached cap. Really stupid with these Event Tokens..

I vary, going through the entire Skirmish or cutting out when the Ill Omens is done, depends on the time availible and when he shows up.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Ran a level 104 tier 3 on my beorn today and got smoked right out of the gate by not one level 121 encounter, but apparently twins. Before I could even speak to Mathi to start the skirm.

"I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    Ran a level 104 tier 3 on my beorn today and got smoked right out of the gate by not one level 121 encounter, but apparently twins. Before I could even speak to Mathi to start the skirm.
    Oh whoa! So, the same sort of thing happened to me a couple days ago in The Ford of the Bruinen. Skirmish was set to T1 L118. Character was L125.

When I entered, there were three very beefy, named, L108 orcs standing right in front of me. They showed as green, not gray. I had to defeat them to get to the twins and start the skirmish.

Later in the same skirmish, a pair of identical, named orcs dropped off one of the towers. Once again they were L108, showed as green, and each had about a million moral! They were not part of either optional encounter or the harbinger encounter.

I have not run skirmishes in 4 years. My first thought was that the skirmishes were updated to make them more difficult. However, in 6 days of skirmishing on three characters, I have not seen anything similar happen again.

/signed (again) for removing all currency caps.

/signed for updating skirmish soldiers from L105 to L130. This would also help people like me with landscape questing.

I understand the reasoning behind currency caps but they are really an admission by the developers that they cannot develop engaging activities with good rewards on an annual basis. If an event is so fun and rewarding that players want to be there, a currency cap is completely unnecessary.

I doubt anything will change. It's the same in DDO. The developers focus on the current project to the near exclusion of all else because they simply do not have enough developer hours to keep all the game systems current.

In my opinion, as someone who completed Skirmisher of Middle Earth long ago, the event is boring rework with poor rewards. If I were not addicted to deeds I would not even bother.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Or they could make the "no currency cap" the default, as it was for years without any problem, and add an LP bypass for those that wish to turn it on.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    I've had similar anomalies. Worst one was in a Ringwraiths Lair, where every encounter was available (should have seen the red flag at that point) and I got not one final boss, but 6, where their morale ranged from 380K to 12 million. Oops.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Yeah I seen those too. Looks like mobs from skraids are randomly bleeding into wrong skirmish instances:
    Assault on Ringwraiths Lair, solo T1 at 130: while progressing, I saw Gulherin in her usual spot, but as a grey Nemesis type. Not sure what level, likely 65 considering how fast I dispatched her. She immediately repopped as low level Arch Nemesis, I took her down again. Going further, I saw the blue 'screaming' encounter prompt. Went back and Gulherin was up there as lvl 130 Elite (proper).
    Final boss, Uluithiad, was lvl 130 Elite exactly overlaid by a very low level Arch Nemesis. They said their speech in parallel and as I fought them, each spawned a corresponding Daernad drake. It was as if somebody did lvl 65 skraid and left up last boss and encounters, and I inherited that instance.

Also, doing speedrun of 'Trouble at Tuckborough' at lvl 125 T1 solo, there was a lvl 122 Nemesis Ghashfog, with no apparent way to get to (I ran all around). The skirmish also had two normal lvl 125 encounters.