We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You mean here, at location number 1 in blue:

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    So as we know now (http://www.mmo-central.com/2020/02/2...x-east-meetup/) that Rohan housing is delayed until HD release on legendary servers, i guess SSG has some time to move controversial Meadows housing to other place.

So i've opened map on https://dynmap.ruslotro.com/ to find a place free of quests near Edoras:

Orange circle with cross is the current place for Meadows homesteads. Red one is Hills homesteads - i think it's ok.
    Blue areas with numbers - two good IMHO places for housing. First one is to the west of Edoras beyond Snowbourne river, second one under the Hill homesteads near Edoras' east gate. Those areas are empty and are not used for any quests, bosses etc.
    I agree - the location to the west of Edoras would be far better. There have been so many people wanting this to move that I really think the dev team should listen - better to delay it and take the time to move it than to release it where it is. I totally agree that it should be out of the way like the other homesteads so that it doesn’t break the immersion (giant Tower of Orthanc and Stone of Erech in the garden of some random Rohirrim? I don’t think so...).

Another suggestion: mix up the housing types as was suggested in an earlier post so that all types of houses are available in the mountain district. Then delete the Kingstead settlement altogether and just double the number of instances of the mountain district and/or expand it as suggested in blue area number 2 above. That would be an even better solution in my opinion.

Edit: just checked the map on live and the far-ranging stables are already there in the middle of the Kingstead. Looks like this is getting dangerously close to live release:

Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Yesterday at 05:10 AM.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    You mean here, at location number 1 in blue:

I agree - the location to the west of Edoras would be far better. There have been so many people wanting this to move that I really think the dev team should listen - better to delay it and take the time to move it than to release it where it is. I totally agree that it should be out of the way like the other homesteads so that it doesn’t break the immersion (giant Tower of Orthanc and Stone of Erech in the garden of some random Rohirrim? I don’t think so...).

Another suggestion: mix up the housing types as was suggested in an earlier post so that all types of houses are available in the mountain district. Then delete the Kingstead settlement altogether and just double the number of instances of the mountain district and/or expand it as suggested in blue area number 2 above. That would be an even better solution in my opinion.

Edit: just checked the map on live and the far-ranging stables are already there in the middle of the Kingstead. Looks like this is getting dangerously close to live release:

Yep! That's the precise location I mean! Thanks for that image

And yes, there's really no other place in Rohan to put it, so that would have to be it. Yes, they could limit it to the mountain district and double the numbers also, but I still like the concept of a wider, more open Rohan homestead. But I also agree that the current place they plan to release it in has some horrible story issues.

When the update with Remmorchant entered the game-world, the Rohan housing instance "game world copies" popped-into the landscape. So, that's where it showed-up, and, unfortunately, while that same update was on Bullroarer, they already had half-phased it in "invisible" into Kingstead. So, while the most recent Morgul major update was on BR, when I went riding on Live in the Kingstead fields, my character was suddenly swimming in invisible water that was going to become the homestead's lake.

So, whether its a bunch of accidents, or close to live, its not the best location because it makes the zone's story look ridiculous. Why should these Entwade folks flee to the Eastfold when there's this gigantic "castle" just nearby over the ridge? It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense for there to be such a heavy Blackarrow presence when the soldiers could've just shot them dead from the homestead's towers.

It takes Kingstead's great writing and turns it into a sham. I want the Lore Devs to take notice of this. It takes the great story of a Thane and his wife struggling to survive in a little shanty town, surrounded by enemies at all sides, no help from the King in Edoras, out in the middle of virtual nowhere, and their desperate, botched flight to a massacre on the borders of the Eastfold, transformed into the Thane's personal quest for vengeance and battle with Eowyn.............. and turns it into a Monty Python farce:

"Hey! What's that? A homestead? A castle? A castle homestead? Do you see all them towers? No, it's a mirage. No, let's go there, why don't we? Nah, that's too easy! I'm not going over there! The players live there? Say, what? From what country do these players hail? Rivendell? Bree? Wherefore came they? Well, haven't you heard, they're taking over all the plains! What? All the plains? Bequeathed by the King? Yep, you heard me right. There is no castle there, no homestead, it just looks like there is, its Saruman's wizardry! So, take the refugees, and flee to the furthest forest away to our southeast. But won't the kind players let us on their property inside the gates, to hide from those vicious Blackarrow Uruks? No, they aren't leasing. Haven't you heard? They've fallen in line with Orthanc. Sorry. Folks, you've gotta go die because the script says so. Alright, everyone, load up the wagons, maybe we'll make it this time to the Eastfold!"

Its such a shame! It takes a very moving story and turns it into complete nonsense, just by having the homestead where it is in Kingstead. At least, with the Westfold / number 1 on the map in the post above, its more believable for Edoras to have some sort of an outer "estates" area adjacent to it where some of Rohan's more noble riders could live off the King's land away from the bustle of the capital across the river, and, furthermore, it would make sense for us to assume that the country estates across the river equally emptied to the same degree that Edoras itself emptied. But it doesn't make sense for that location to be north, rather than west, of Edoras.

In its current Kingstead location, it makes us players look as evil as Grima Wormtongue, unwilling to aid the poor, desperate people of the Entwade, and turns the whole zone's sub-story into nonsense. The only way I could head-canon, mentally make it work is if I assumed the inhabitants of the homestead were all of Wormtongue's cronies who had to abandon their estates when Gandalf spilled the beans on them all. But that is really, really stretching it.

Please consider delaying the launch of the Kingstead homestead location, swap it to the proposed eastern Westfold location, and calm the waters before we truly, on live, lose one of the few areas of Rohan that directly matches Tolkien's description of it: the vast, green rolling plains with the golden hall of Meduseld rising triumphantly above them. Please consider fixing this....... I know it would take some extra work to move the assets; I get that. But it would really be worth it. Think of the view a player could have of the homestead from the Westfold Pass above it, from the road that leads from Dunharrow to the Grimslade area! Think of how magnificent its Mead Hall would look perched on the tall hill overlooking it all. Yes, you'd have to move the warband, but that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Losing the green, rolling plains of central Rohan and the power of the Entwade story... would truly be a double loss.

I have multiple Belfalas houses as well as other locations. I admit it. I love housing. I love decorating. Housing is probably one of my main passions in the game, one of the main reasons I keep playing; its just my thing.

But, even with that in mind, I just can't reconcile this homestead location with the surrounding story that was so well done and made questing in Rohan truly a great experience. I would give preference to maintaining the quality of the story, and I'd rather have an adjacent Rohirric town to the west of Edoras than lose the plains to the north of Edoras.

Those plains are pretty special to players, including to me, and as much as I look forward to filling a Rohan yard with a ton of King's Crimson Trees and a Gondor beacon, a little flavor of old Calenardhon, I'd still give precedence to the story of the region over the fun of having a house in Rohan in the currently-planned Kingstead location. With the Westfold location, you'd have minimal effects on the zone's story, far less effects than placing it in the Kingstead location, and you'd still give us the fun of having Rohirric farms and filling yards and stables with decorations. You could re-make the lake with the willow trees as branching south from that stream that flows into the River Snowbourn from its west from the Westfold side. You could move the house with the cave right next to the Snowbourn on its western banks, more or less parallel with Upbourn. You could pretty much map the current Kingstead homestead right onto the Westfold terrain. You could put the Mead Hall on the hill overlooking those surrounds, a lesser mead-hall from which you can look straight across the river to Meduseld. You could do so much good if you chose this option. You could have the Uruk pale folk warband roam the area closer to the Half-Orc camp from the Grimslade quests. You could wall-off the Half-Orc camp with cliffs to separate it from the proposed homestead area. You could use the stream itself as a boundary. You could pretty much use the same exact design techniques, that are currently in the Kingstead location, in the Westfold location we are proposing in this thread.

Please, at the very least, think about it There's a ton of things I'm loving about Rohan homesteads, I have a passion for housing, and at the same time, I also greatly agree with players who have issues with the Kingstead housing idea. I think that its best to go with a more out-of-the-way place from the western side that can still give plenty of great views of Edoras and Meduseld than to go directly in front / north of it.

The whole zone's story assumes there's nothing but grassy plains across that river to the north. That's why, in the Epic, we have to chase Wormtongue's spy all the way to Middlemead and Stoke, because it assumes there's nothing in between Edoras and those places. So, its very crucial to remember this, too. Please do not diminish the high quality writing of the region by misplacing housing in an area that isn't best for it. Again, per my previous post, I get that the options were limited, and to be clear, I'm very grateful that you're moving forward with Rohan housing as an idea. I just think folks are right: the area north of Edoras isn't the best location, and the area west of Edoras is more ideal, for the reasons I've explained in both of my long posts.

Thank you for reading and thinking about it I really appreciate all your hard work in making this game so great I'm not writing from a complainer's position, or complaining for complaining's sake; I'm writing from a position of someone who has great passion and appreciation for this game, for the work that you, Devs, are doing to keep it alive, the fires on the stove burning, the lights running, and updating and making the game even better and better and funner to play. I'm writing from the position of someone who can also see that, while with good intentions no doubt, something very important to Rohan's region could be lost if the Kingstead homestead location moves forward and is implemented on Live, and for all my heart of hearts, there's a whole other location that could just work so much better, and I wanted to do everything I could to help you to see what others and I can see would be a greater, better alternative both visually and for the zone's story and why that is. Thank you for listening
    Last edited by Phantion; Yesterday at 04:07 PM.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2