We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rohan Housing with Images - Characteristics seen so far

After checking Rohan Homesteads, here I'm letting some images explaining how it is. I'll explain what I've seen:

There are two homesteads - Kingstead and Eastfold, although both of them are settled in Kingstead...
    In the image:
    The square of 1 is the Kingstead Homestead. I surrounded it on warsteed and yes, I can confirm that it is the size of the square. All that area is the size of the homestead, so in fact, it's like double the size of Edoras, and the poor uruk riders have lost their territory. Inside, this homestead is, again, very big. Despite having so little houses inside (1 meadhall and 10 deluxe houses), they are very separated, even in the same houses, as they have barns, they have them very separated.
    The square of 2 is the Eastfold Homestead. I did surround this one from the inside and it's aprox the size of the square, it is a mountain-like neighbourhood, with houses very scattered. In my opinion, this homestead is okay settled, the bad is that houses are very scattered, but so far it's fine. The houses look more compact than Kingstead ones.

HOUSES

Meadhalls are similar to kinhalls in Gondor, deluxe houses are similar as deluxe in Gondor. From now on I'm just talking about deluxe houses, because I couldn't buy any meadhall to test it, all were taken.
    The decoration slots in number are around the same (Rohan's have a bit more), just adding some "light" slots. Aprox numbers (not exact, aprox) are:
    Stately in Gondor - 120 interiors 18 exterior
    Deluxe in Gondor - 140 interiors, 27 exteriors
    Deluxe in Rohan - 140 interiors, 31 exteriors, 18 lights. As curiosity, deluxe in Rohan have 2 enormous yards.

In the next images of the interior houses, I let the UI so you can check the minimap to have an idea of the interior size.

DELUXE HOUSES IN KINGSTEAD HOMESTEAD

These houses look in appearance like the stately houses in Gondor. They have a small barn that looks like a small house of the classic homesteads. The house inside has an upper and lower floor.

DELUXE HOUSES IN EASTFOLD HOMESTEAD

These houses look bigger than the Kingstead ones in appearance. They don't have a small barn. The house inside has an upper and lower floor, the upper floor in fact is like 2-4 upper floors (sorry I didn't count them). It reminded me to the meadhall of Forlaw, that you can climb to exit to the tower, here you climb to go to a small bedroom-like room.

BONUS DECORATIONS

Lights: these are light sources, it feels weird in my opinion, but it's fine if you want to create a disco to dance
    Columns: I couldn't test this because only meadhalls have slots for this

FEEDBACK

This feedback I give is my own, you may like it or not. Take this as coming by a person who wanted Rohan housing since years ago.

- Eastfold homestead looks very good overall, and the houses are exactly what I imagined for a deluxe Rohan house, the bad thing is that the landscape has the houses very scattered, it's too big with a lot of empty spaces
    - Kingstead homestead is very bad designed, not only the placement in the map, but also the interior, with a lot of empty spaces. It feels too big for what it should be
    - Kingstead houses and Eastfold houses being different is an evident cashgrab, to make people want to have one of each because they are different. This links to the next point...
    - Kingstead houses design looks more appropiate to be stately houses, while Eastfold houses design looks more appropiate to be deluxe houses. Thus, Kingstead houses should be cheaper, because even if the text when you are going to buy, it says the decoration slots they have, as you have seen in the images shared, they look smaller than the Eastfold ones. Personally, if I am going to buy a deluxe house, I'd choose Eastfold before Kingstead because the size
    - A good design, although I am afraid that it's too late, would have been to have the Kingstead design to be stately houses, and the Eastfold design to be deluxe houses, and then, you should put them in both neighbourhoods, so Kingstead also have houses with the design of Eastfold, and Eastfold some houses with the design of Kingstead, this way everyone would be happy. Personally, I won't buy any house because I expected to buy a stately...
    - Finally, I say what it would have been perfect in my opinion: destroy the Kingstead homestead and give the uruk riders their territory. The only homestead is the Eastfold one (change the name to Rohan homestead or whatever). Change some of the deluxe houses for the design of Kingstead houses and make them stately. I guess one can dream...
    Last edited by Fegefeuer; Feb 20 2020 at 07:03 PM.
    Anamura, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Sunnarea, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
    Columns: I couldn't test this because only meadhalls have slots for this
    As promised in-game, I'll add some screenshots below for any interested player without a kingstead mead-hall available for testing. Soo far, I really like these new houses, I think I'll get one as soon as this hits live servers - IF decorations dropping out of hooks each night inside kingstead mead-halls gets fixed.

Full album with all pillar designs I could find can be viewed here: https://imgur.com/a/j0kUSZO

I have no issue with there being Rohan housing in general - indeed, I was rather excited about it. But the implementation of this is not ok, and this is primarily due to the location of the Kingstead Plains area.

The problems as I see it are:
    - The homestead is slap bang in the middle of a questing area, so breaks the immersion
    - It is bigger than Edoras and can be seen from miles around - there was no walled city this close to Edoras in Rohan
    - The walls surrounding the homesteads actually limit the freedom of movement around the game map - at the moment there appears to be only one viable entrance and exit.

How can we try to make it fit into the lore in a vaguely tolerable way?
    - Get rid of the walls, and make the whole area accessible from the landscape. Neighbourhoods can be accessed via the housing NPC at the central fountain rather than at the gated entrance, and so it can function like layers do in busy towns.
    - Give the settlement a name! If you’re going to create a major settlement in the middle of Rohan, it needs a name, identity, history etc.
    - There’s a meadhall in the middle - these are only owned by thanes or Reeves, who are not going to simply ‘sell their house as they go off to war’ (the justification provided in the quest text). The thane and all of his/her family would have to have died, and then Theoden/Eomer has asked you to become thane and renew the settlement - otherwise the lore justification for this is pretty dodgy.

My suggested solution?
    - Get rid of the Kingstead plains zone and keep the one in the hills.
    - The hillside one is out of the way and can be ignored by those that don’t want/can’t afford to buy a house (most people).
    - The hillside area makes much more sense to be fenced off, given the landscape surrounding it.
    - Have a version of this settlement which is populated with Rohirrim, a thane, etc and add a few quests to it, to make it properly feel like part of the world.

TL;DR - the Kingstead plains area is too big and too immersion breaking, and isn’t properly weaved into the game lore or landscape. The hills neighbourhood would be easier to justify based on the out of the way location.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

I spent some time poking around in both of the new neighborhoods. I agree with the other comments that the Kingstead neighborhood is waaaaayyyy too much area taken out of the landscape. It did not feel right. It felt like you were trying to make an enclosed large rural area inside of walls. Nowhere else in Rohan is this design evident. The towns have walls in a few places. Rural homes do not have such protections. I would rather not have that particular location used up for a massive housing area larger than Edoras. Actually...it ruins the view of the plains from Edoras... Perhaps it could be condensed and be an area partitioned inside Edoras itself instead since it is an instance?

I very much enjoyed the Eastfold neighborhood. It makes much more sense. I liked having the mountains for an interesting neighborhood and it feels like something that should be premium housing.

I was a bit surprised that you did not use some of the home designs from various areas around Rohan. I was so looking forward to actually living in the house I 'inherited' in Edoras...but these designs were not anything like that. I loved having a basement and a back door in the designs. I would have liked to have had rooms in the houses a bit more like the Edoras house so they would feel more like bedrooms than a space for a barracks.

I am not a fan of trying to use a barn for living space among the stalls. That makes no sense at all. Also, there was at least one home in Kingstead that needs to have the outhouse and the well brought up to code. They are much too close together! While I love the stable idea, we are currently unable to display our herd of trusty steeds...unless you are coming up with something we have not yet heard about that?

It was difficult to find a single Mead Hall to enter. I guess everyone bought one and made it unavailable for any other player to take a look inside. There were zero available to buy or visit that I could find. From the picture posted above, I would not be inclined to give up our island kinhouse for a Mead Hall, because it just looks big and empty and very plain. If it were like the one in Harwick or even Beaconwatch, I would reconsider.

I like the new wall to wall carpeting and other flooring options. The new 'light' is a great idea for ambience in the homes. I hope that can somehow be retrofitted into the other neighborhoods as well? I personally am not a fan of the bright party colors, but I am certain some players will make stunning use of them in their decor. The candle & firelight ones are particularly well done.

I realize this is very early in the process and these are just some very early observations with things as I saw them in Build 2. Overall, some very nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    How can we try to make it fit into the lore in a vaguely tolerable way?
    - Get rid of the walls, and make the whole area accessible from the landscape. Neighbourhoods can be accessed via the housing NPC at the central fountain rather than at the gated entrance, and so it can function like layers do in busy towns.
    This is technically not working. The hole system of housing (including moving furnitures) can't be used in layers I think. It would surprise me a lot if this would be possible.

Are there only premium houses in the Rohan area?

Is Meadhall a kin house? Or can everyone buy it?

I also would like to know...Are the Rohan Housing areas ONLY going to be premium housing? No NON premium Housing areas?

I love Rohan housing, the idea. I'm "meh" about the implementation. Who thought it was a good idea to put a huge neighbourhood in the middle of the Kingstead? Why shrink already existing landscape? Looks so out of place. And the massive rocky outcropping in the middle of the field.. like, what? Seriously? Edoras is meant to be the capital, I would much rather have a housing instance inside Edoras itself.

- Kingstead housing area is horribly misplaced
    - Not that interested if not smaller housing
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

Some doubts to solve:

- Rohan housing is PREMIUM HOUSING ONLY
    - Meadhalls are like kinhalls but they are PRIVATE. This means that any person can buy one or more meadhalls. They cost the same as Gondor kinislands - around 800 MC
    - There is NOT a single STATELY HOUSE (cheap houses, 150-200 MC)
    - Each neighbourhood has 1 meadhall and 10 DELUXE houses (400 MC)
    Anamura, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Sunnarea, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

To add a different perspective, I prefer the Kingstead area, although I can understand some of the objections. Some feedback in case it happens to be noted:

• The area in the foothills contains too much hilly terrain for my personal taste, and it is difficult to see other housing units; though if one prefers a more private housing area then that may be a draw. But if you want to have a sense of a neighborhood, the layout of this area isn't conducive to that.
    • I don't find the Kingstead housing to necessarily be too large for the surrounding landscape, but since these are instanced they can presumably be made to appear smaller. Just like some of the small barns, what you see on the outside doesn't have to match the size of what is inside.
    • The distance between the units in the Kingstead should not be too close, as these are meant to be extensive farmsteads. But there should be the ability to see some neighbors to maintain the feel of a "neighborhood." It seemed like most of the units in Kingstead provided views of 2-3 other units, with a couple of exceptions, so to me the size and spacing of the units seemed mostly appropriate for what I'd expect in a Rohan farmstead area.
    • At 8 Colt Road in the Kingstead area, the house here is listed as having 3 interiors, as opposed to 2 that I saw on others. But I could not locate a 3rd interior here, even after purchasing. I don't know if I somehow just missed it, or it is incorrectly labelled, or this is yet to be added since this really isn't meant to be a finished version yet. It is also listed as having slightly more hooks (165 vs. the typical 142). Lol never mind this one, figured it out. Nice one!
    • Bats and butterflies - Understandably this is still a work in progress. I had trouble positioning the bat swarm where they could be seen. I also found the butterflies to be very difficult to see, particularly if placed in an outside hook where there is no vertical axis; they get lost in the grass.
    • I do support more varied house styles in both areas; it is hard to know at this point if all of the houses of the same style will be "it" or they are just placeholders, but it would be nice to see a little variation.
    • I'm curious whether there are plans to introduce any fire component for the center of the large mead hall in Kingstead. Currently the center is empty, and no hooks present. There is one Special Furniture hook to the side where the indoor firepit can be placed and moved to the center, and a second one near the far end of the main hall, but it really doesn't fulfill the expectations of the roaring fires we tend to see in the mead halls. Plus those firepits were available only through the Epics so are limited in availability.
    • The hooks in the main hall of the mead hall of Kingstead seem too few if one wants to go for a mead hall with many benches and tables around it. Rohan benches available at Hytbold are large furniture, so that already leaves few options to decently populate that room.
    • The campfire and candle lights are nicely done!
    Last edited by McFarlane; Feb 26 2020 at 10:58 PM.

Like most people, I'm unhappy with the placement of the Kingstead homestead. It's a lovely homestead, and like McFarlane, I actually think the spaciousness works well for a rural settlement in Rohan. I hate how much of the plains of Kingstead it gobbles up, though, and I'll add that it ruins the view of Edoras as we're riding across the plains; I've always found it quite stirring to see Edoras rising prominently in the distance as I ride across the Kingstead. I think making the neighborhood a walled-off area of Edoras is a brilliant solution, and I'd like to throw my support behind it. I think it could also work well if it were placed at the crossroads north of Grimslade; this is an underutilized area, and there's a stretch of landscape between Marton and the Kingstead that can be kind of tedious to ride across. Placing the Kingstead homestead here--or the Westfold homestead, rather--might make this area much more interesting.

I don't really like how much fencing there is. I plan to buy a house in the Eastfold neighborhood when Rohan housing goes live. I tried placing some decorations in the yards, and it looks strange to have some of the larger decorations surrounded by white stone fences. The fencing is fine along the roads, but I'm not sure about having it in the individual yards. (I think this is probably more of an issue for the Eastfold homestead, since the fencing is subtler in the Kingstead neighborhood and it fits better with the rural feel of that neighborhood.)

I love the new lighting objects; I had a lot of fun playing with the lighting on Bullroarer, and I think I'm going to enjoy adjusting the lighting in my house in the live server.

A suggestion to other players: since mead halls are scarce, you might want to consider giving up the mead hall you purchased once you're done experimenting with it. I bought a mead hall, but I abandoned it later so that someone else could purchase it. That gives other people, such as the OP, a chance to see what the mead halls are like as well.
    A vote for Saruman is a vote for progress! Vote today!

Quote Originally Posted by MCNightshade View Post
    I also would like to know...Are the Rohan Housing areas ONLY going to be premium housing? No NON premium Housing areas?
    Scenario confirmed in another thread: premium housing only.
    Pity, was really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    Scenario confirmed in another thread: premium housing only.
    Pity, was really looking forward to it.
    Really? That's very disappointing. I might not buy a house then. Not interested enough. And also that makes me even less interested in seeing the eye-sore neighbourhood in my beautiful Kingsteads, blocking off the view OF Edoras and FROM Edoras. I see Rohan as a region of primarily farmers and workers living the rural life, not upper class people living in densely populated areas laden with mansions like the premium houses. Especially not in the middle of the fields. Had you created your current neighbourhoods in the fields outside South Bree it would probably have lessened immersion just like it currently does in Rohan. But you solved it very well by creating unique housing areas. I created my character back in the day with the heritage "of Rohan", now 12 years ago. Even my forum title says so. I hoped one day a Rohan neighbourhood would become a reality, and I was really looking forward to this when I heard about it. I remember even talking about it in the very first years of the game. I don't mean to sound dramatic and theatrical, and I hope SSG do make some money from this, I am just slighty disappointed with the implementation as it stands so far. If this is about a lack of ideas about how to "fill in" the fields outside Edoras, I would rather see more farming fields for crafting with a few farming NPCs working the soil than this huge clunk of neighbourhood. My best suggestion for a Rohan neighbourhood would be an instance inside Edoras somehow, with small housing included. Seriously, I would much rather buy and live in one of the houses already in Edoras or other Rohan towns, like Stangard and Harwick, than the premium houses currently shown in beta.
    Last edited by Brethwyn_EU; Feb 27 2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    Really? That's very disappointing. I might not buy a house then. Not interested enough. And also that makes me even less interested in seeing the eye-sore neighbourhood in my beautiful Kingsteads, blocking off the view OF Edoras and FROM Edoras.
    I think almost the same as you. I don't see a problem with it being premium housing. I see the problem in not having cheap houses as in Gondor (150-200MC). There was even a promo pack where you could get 6 writs+extra stuff *enough for a stately house in Gondor*. Welp, not enough for a house in Rohan. If Gondor is premium housing, Rohan is premium housing plus.

I had a lot of house decorations saved in vault/house chest waiting for Rohan housing but as there won't be cheap houses, tomorrow I'll just put them in other houses I have and be done with it. I just hope they do something with the meadows neighbourhood at least and it doesn't ruin the Kingstead landscape, because I have zero hopes that they will add stately houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurinuor View Post
    This is technically not working. The hole system of housing (including moving furnitures) can't be used in layers I think. It would surprise me a lot if this would be possible.
    You can enter existing housing areas in "landscape mode" (without being in a particular neighborhood). You just need to wait until you get that bug where you are floating high up in the air, and then float over the wall. When you do so, you will see everything there as usual, but you can't go in or buy any of the houses, and of course none of the yards are decorated. You can access NPCs and Task boards as usual.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

Exclamation

Thanks for sharing your findings & screenshots. The player Yao from D&Co du Milieu website also posted a nice preview of Rohirrim housing areas

Of particular interest, he mentioned:
    The “Column” and “Lighting” hooks are currently only present in the Rohan neighborhoods (and Scenario did not suggest that this could change).
    I wish that this change & make it available to Gondorian houses too (at least if the way classic houses are builded can't get it) as i will love to put green ilumination at my Gondorian green house. Also the way that Gondorian houses columns don't take the wallpaper color & texture apparent individual objects & maybe can be worked out though i like Gondorian columns textures others will love to customize it as well. I sincerely think that it will not affect the sales of the newest Rohirrim houses as people will buy them either way, because Rohirrim & Gondorian house building styles are way too different & cater opposite tastes. I personally not sure i will buy the Rohirrim houses as i like elegant & marble houses with many rooms & it doesn't seem to have it.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

Those are great screenshots!

Scenario, I wonder if I might ask a favor:

While I recognize how some might prefer the current dimmer pale green stained-glass windows, I've found it makes these halls gloomy. While many often complain, regarding the Gondor houses, that they look like "stately" tombs on the inside, at least those halls have more natural lighting in them, whereas, with these in Rohan, they are much dimmer and darker in my opinion. It feels like we've exchanged stone tombs for wooden ones in that regard.

1 little fix that I think could make a huge difference: Using the lighting we find in buildings in Aldburg, Stoke, and Snowbourn, and especially in the Mead Halls. I'll never forget when I first went into the Snowbourn Mead Hall, how the sunlight blazed through that huge window behind Reeve Fastred's "Throne." I'd love that in at least 1 of the current Mead Halls and a few houses.

The current window-lighting is more like that of the Mead Hall in Eaworth in the Entwash Vale, which made sense in the Entwash Vale since that whole town is darker and more ashen from the siege the Uruks are pressing on it. Horn's home Mead Hall was a very gloomy place, with gloomy disposition, that befit its gloomy Reeve and overall gloomy family situation. I just don't like it that all of the new Rohan houses are using that same kind of lighting when neither Homestead is ashen, gloomy, or besieged, but set, like Snowbourn, under a blazing, bright sun at daylight (except perhaps for Eastfold- more on that below). I know that the darker interior look might be to get more use out of the new "light decoration slot" features, but those could be used more in the windowless rooms in these houses.

For rooms that have windows, and especially for that main mead-hall, please consider using the brighter lighting coming from those windows, at least at daylight, and at least in the Kingstead houses in particular.

You know, I wonder, if it would be possible to actually have "day" and "night" modes in a premium house, just something to consider. I'm not sure how it would work, or if its even possible, but I'd like to throw it on the table: the idea of window-lights naturally dimming whenever the game says its nightfall outside and turning bright again at morning. If not, no worries; nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say

I'd vary it up; have some houses have brighter window lighting than others. The Kingstead Mead Hall would make more sense to have the brighter light. It would make sense for the Eastfold homes to be darker since they are in the shadows of the mountains. The homes on the plains... I'd hope more for that sunlit, Sutcroft-y feeling inside if possible Light-up those windows
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Being one of the people asking for Rohan housing area since ages ago, i have to say my piece..........
    Rohan is NOT an area for premium houses! Devs i know you want to make profit but......... think about removing this huge area in the plains!
    (well remove it anyway it ungly and has no place there!!!)
    Add a smaller non premium neighborhood, anywhere on some hills that is not blocking the current game!
    lots of choises! Inside Edoras, Hytbold, Northcrofts, White mountains, etc.
    About the area on the hills........
    this is better placed! think about mixing house types also add some smaller premium too!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and leading Steward atm, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    Being one of the people asking for Rohan housing area since ages ago, i have to say my piece..........
    Rohan is NOT an area for premium houses! Devs i know you want to make profit but......... think about removing this huge area in the plains!
    (well remove it anyway it ungly and has no place there!!!)
    Add a smaller non premium neighborhood, anywhere on some hills that is not blocking the current game!
    lots of choises! Inside Edoras, Hytbold, Northcrofts, White mountains, etc.
    About the area on the hills........
    this is better placed! think about mixing house types also add some smaller premium too!
    Forgive me this has nothing to do with this thread, but you signature says you are a lifetime subscriber but your account and player of lotro for over 12 years... yet you account join date was 2011 which was years after they even offered lifetime subs... Doesnt add up. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Khluzainn View Post
    Forgive me this has nothing to do with this thread, but you signature says you are a lifetime subscriber but your account and player of lotro for over 12 years... yet you account join date was 2011 which was years after they even offered lifetime subs... Doesnt add up. XD
    I am also a lifetime subscriber. I bought it from Codemasters when they ran the EU servers. Everyone who transferred when Turbine took it in house has a join date of 2011. Stop being so US-centric - there are four other conttinents.

Housing cost

I am curious if the Rohan Housing will be same process for purchase as Belfalas housing with Housing writs etc?

I do agree that this huge housing area (it seems larger than Edoras itself) smack in the middle of the great open space of Rohan is a mistake. I hope they don't go through with it, it destroys the 'Rohan feeling' of that great landscape.

Release only the second area in the hills (which is fine), and find some other spot for an additional area later, if needed. Please.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bullock View Post
    I am curious if the Rohan Housing will be same process for purchase as Belfalas housing with Housing writs etc?
    Yes, at least on BR early testing it was. Either MC or Housing writs. Also still no way to combine some MC with some writs. You have to chose one or the other full price. Note that this was early testing supposedly that slipped thorugh and was not supposed to be visible to the players yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    I do agree that this huge housing area (it seems larger than Edoras itself) smack in the middle of the great open space of Rohan is a mistake. I hope they don't go through with it, it destroys the 'Rohan feeling' of that great landscape.

Release only the second area in the hills (which is fine), and find some other spot for an additional area later, if needed. Please.

While its unfortunately not likely they will change the location, since the "game-world copy" of it is now on live, I, too, will lament the loss of the green plains of Kingstead even though I love Rohan housing as a concept.

But in all fairness to the Devs, other than canning the whole thing, they mostly cornered themselves, because Rohan is most associated with free, flowing, green plains, and what would Rohan housing be without some sort of a presence in the plains?

That being said, there's another location I think they could use, but let me come around to it first. First off, I want to explain, using the excellent map I refer to below, precisely why I feel their choices were limited for homestead locations in Rohan. I then want to come to what I feel the very few potential locations were. I want to debunk places that I feel look like they could have worked but can't for various reasons. I will conclude what I think they could do to avert very justified player complaints; there's just -1- other location that would have fit their concept, and its across the river from Edoras in the eastern Westfold. But let me get to there; I also want to kind of draw potential Dev readers themselves into my argument below so they can see what I see, where I agree with what they've done, and where I think, in that mindset, they could do something else instead of using Kingstead as a location.

So let me begin:

I've studied Garan's excellent Google-style map from LOTRO interface, which I'll link to here; you can zoom-in over Rohan and see the whole region:

http://lotromap.net/terrainmap/google.html

Now, the issue here is that Rohan already had had all its terrain developed by the time they started to implement the idea of Rohan housing. You can see some obvious problems with trying to find a spot for a Rohan-themed homestead just by looking at the map. Westfold and Stonedeans are both off-limits because Saruman's Uruks claimed whole swaths of both; hence, the Orc camp in southwest Stonedeans and the burning town of Marton in the heart of Westfold.

Now, there is some under-developed terrain near the Gap of Rohan, but that would have jarred with the RoI and Helm's Deep expansion sides of the game-world divide between Rhovanion and Eriador / Dunland.

So, we've already lost roughly a third of Rohan in possibilities. Now, in concept, if they didn't do that business with Nurzum and had the area that's now called Wildermore basically be empty, open grasslands, that would have been an ideal spot. But nope. They just had to have Snow-Freeze Nightmare, didn't they? *Chuckles* So, Wildermore's off limits. That, then, cuts into the Wold, which is already half-dominated by Harwick because the Wold's really vastly undersized compared to the map scale. So, then we lose the Wold. East Wall's supposed to be empty, wild terrain since its where the Fellowship split, and so, there goes East Wall.

So, we've already lost the following areas as possibilities for Rohan housing for various lore reasons or game-lore reasons:

Gap of Rohan
    Wildermore
    The Wold
    Westfold (*for now, it will return to the list later!)
    Stonedeans
    I am now adding Fangorn to the list since that's forest not really -really- part of Rohan.

So, that leaves us with precisely six potential areas:

Broadacres
    Norcrofts
    Sutcrofts
    Entwash Vale
    Eastfold
    Kingstead

Now, if we observe on the map, Broadacres "looks" empty; but it isn't. There's well over 50 quests crammed-in there with various pathings. The grasslands between Stoke and Fangorn really aren't as "broad" as they appear to be. Half of the territory is burning farms involving quests. There's even a riding instance that takes-over the distance between Stoke, Oserley, and the river.

Putting the homestead directly next to Stoke also would've made it larger than Edoras, which would have been tricky to justify lore-wise.

So its safe to cross Broadacres off the list.

Next up is Norcrofts. See all those scattered, burning farms? Add-up the quest-pathings, the stuff you have to do in the little merchant camp, the quests involving the road between the camp and Elthengels, and its all taken-over. Saruman's Orcs, in the story, have taken over everything south of Cliving, pretty much. So bye-bye Norcrofts.

The next up is Entwash Vale. That also has 50 quests crammed into everything, and if we notice carefully, its the narrowest spit of land wedged between the river and the walls of Wildermore. So, the whole zone would basically have to become the homestead if they placed it there, and that's not possible. So, we just lost Entwash Vale as a possibility.

Now, to recap, all we have left for what they could have done is: Eastfold, Sutcrofts, and Kingstead. My, oh my, we've lost 2/3rds of Rohan to quest-pathing, zones too small or too much mushed in, or zones wide enough but unavailable because of lore or game-lore.

So, let's take a look at Sutcrofts. On the surface, it looks like an ideal candidate for a plains homestead. Its got some empty plains. It has plenty of farms. Its billed as a prosperous place. BUT- first off, they had to place Reeve Fastred's father's grave in the middle of those plains, didn't they? I guess they could move it. Problem solved? Wait a moment. What's that between Hytbold, Snowbourn, and Walstow? Looks empty enough, might have potential, but wait... For one, its got an Orc camp in the southern half. For another, its got a farm manned by soldiers. Now, they could move the farm, move the grave, move the Orc camp, re-design 10-20 quests, and chop away at those mountains.

All well and good, right? Well, why bother rebuilding Hytbold at all if there's a gigantic homestead right next to it, and what gave Snowbourn the right to suddenly grow larger than Edoras? Drat!!!!! Lore again. Blast! *Scratches Sutcrofts off the list*

AND so.... we have Eastfold and Kingstead, the very areas they selected for these homesteads. Now, Eastfold was probably a conundrum for them, because of Lore yet again. See all those trees and empty spaces south of Aldburg? They could have used that, and someone in another related thread even suggested that they use it.

BUT.... that would have made Aldburg larger than Edoras, which would have begged the question: Why did the Rohirrim bother to move their Capital from Aldburg to Edoras if Aldburg was more prosperous and had a vast homestead right to its immediate south, its suburbs, if you will? So, there goes that terrain. They wisely used another bit of empty mountains that was a bit away from Aldburg, and that was probably the most ideal location for a homestead they had.

Now, another place that would have been my inclination would have been to build-out a vast, grasslands valley to the south of that winding road in the southern part of Westfold that winds through the mountains. But if we look at Paths of the Dead's interior location, among other things, the terrain's already taken to the south of Westfold; expanding it south ain't possible.

So, when you consider everything, study the map, and see what they did, we can realize that they had very few options available to them to do Rohan Housing. What made Belfalas in Gondor so perfect was that it wasn't developed terrain at the time they made the homestead; they built it out and it worked like a charm.

But here, with Rohan, its a very different story. There's really only 1 other place I could have seen them placing a homestead, and yes, it would have involved removing that war-band with the pale folk led by the Uruk on the hill.

The area immediately adjacent to Edoras on its left on the Westfold side, right across the river, would have been the best place for a Homestead for the plains in my opinion. Why? Because you have open plains directly north of it, the mountains to the south of it, and if they had, say, put the Mead Hall on that hill, it could have looked like an extension of Edoras straddling the river Snowbourn, or a separate, strong Westfold settlement, and honestly, AT this point, either the current homestead or my proposed one here would have messed with the game-lore either way.

Why?

Because, in its current Kingstead location, it makes the refugees of Entwade look very foolish to try to reach the Eastfold when there's a giant fortress-town right west of them.

In my proposed Westfold location, just west of Edoras past the river, it would have made the smaller group of refugees, who were making their way to Helm's Deep, look foolish.

But do you know what? That group in the Westfold was smaller!!!!!! Only about 6-7 refugees compared to most of the town of Entwade. So, honestly, I'd rather have the Plains Homestead be in that neck of the woods, as in, the Southeastern Westfold, than over in Kingstead. Do a storyline where the Westfold Homestead's folk abandoned it for Dunharrow out of fear of Saruman and never wanted to return, so players got to buy the houses. It would make far more sense than the current Kingstead location. It would also look better to have Edoras and the homestead parallel from west to east than its current form from north to south.

That is my proposal. You can draw an approximate square, with your eyes, between the rivers and the mountains in the area to Edoras's immediate, adjacent, parallel west across the Snowbourn river.

To be clear, if you draw the Western Boundary of my proposed Homestead between it and the Half-Orc Camp / Grimslade, and use the River Snowbourn / Edoras as the Eastern Boundary, and use that other river north of this as the Northern Boundary, and use the White Mountains / the Westfold Pass to the south as the Southern Boundary, you would have a Homestead with very similar proportions to the current Kingstead one with a far more ideal location that gives the Plains flavor of Rohan without actually sacrificing Kingstead's actual green plains to do it!!!

The pale-folk warband could be moved closer to Grimslade. You have the same pathing space in the Westfold location I am describing as the current Kingstead location. It would be best, keep the plains Rohan theme, could have a similar structure to it, and folks could keep the green plains north of Edoras. Please consider it Devs
    Last edited by Phantion; Mar 27 2020 at 08:53 PM.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast