We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rohan Housing! Suggestions, feedback, questions, etc.

I understand that Rohan housing is still in the early stages of development and things may be changed and tweaked before it's released, but I'd like to have a spot where players can offer ideas, questions, suggestions, etc, while we still have a chance to offer some input into the housing design.

After watching Druidsfire's video (which can be found here: <https://youtu.be/UuLx05lGA0U> ), one thing that stands out to me is all those gosh darn stupid stone walls! They don't fit the look of a culture based mainly on wood and thatch at all to me. Why can't we have simple, split-rail wooden fences? That would look so much more suitable.
    Owner - Laurelin RP Group Discord server - https://discord.me/laurelinrp

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekGirl View Post
    I understand that Rohan housing is still in the early stages of development and things may be changed and tweaked before it's released, but I'd like to have a spot where players can offer ideas, questions, suggestions, etc, while we still have a chance to offer some input into the housing design.

After watching Druidsfire's video (which can be found here: <https://youtu.be/UuLx05lGA0U> ), one thing that stands out to me is all those gosh darn stupid stone walls! They don't fit the look of a culture based mainly on wood and thatch at all to me. Why can't we have simple, split-rail wooden fences? That would look so much more suitable.
    The stone walls are mostly in tbe mountain neighborhood, which makes some sense to me. The kingstead meadows one is mostly wooden fences. I was honestly very pleased by preetty much everything with the design of the houses and neighborhood, just wonder if we're going to get some new enormous yard items? Because WOW these houses have a lot of enormous hooks, and of the few enormous items in the game there are 3 rare rep-gates items that actually fit the theme of a Rohan neighborhood and the rest are mostly trophies and such for big group content, in a neighborhood with no kinhouses at that? I feel like if there isn't some new stuff (enormous crop fields like the MT ones or the little A-frame houses we see dotted around or something), Rohan is going to become the land of bree gazebos
    Crickhollow-
    r4 lvl 100 - Roelen, Guardian of Lindon
    r1 leveling - Celerad, Captain of Gondor

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeekGirl View Post
    ..one thing that stands out to me is all those gosh darn stupid stone walls! They don't fit the look of a culture based mainly on wood and thatch at all to me. Why can't we have simple, split-rail wooden fences? That would look so much more suitable.

This!!

So much THIS!!

I have absolutely hated all those white stone half-walls running throughout the towns ever since Rohan was first introduced years ago. As you say, they make absolutely NO SENSE in this society. So, almost every town in Rohan builds its outer walls (the most vulnerable, the ones built for protection against the enemies) out of WOOD (which can be burned, chopped, etc.) not STONE (which would be MUCH stronger)...and yet for some reason (according to this SSG design) takes the time to build their internal, (merely for decoration) half-walls out of fancy, mortared, VERY sturdy STONE? It just makes absolutely no sense, and has always looked very out of place.
    Last edited by Narthalion; Feb 14 2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roelen View Post
    The stone walls are mostly in tbe mountain neighborhood, which makes some sense to me. The kingstead meadows one is mostly wooden fences. I was honestly very pleased by preetty much everything with the design of the houses and neighborhood, just wonder if we're going to get some new enormous yard items? Because WOW these houses have a lot of enormous hooks, and of the few enormous items in the game there are 3 rare rep-gates items that actually fit the theme of a Rohan neighborhood and the rest are mostly trophies and such for big group content, in a neighborhood with no kinhouses at that? I feel like if there isn't some new stuff (enormous crop fields like the MT ones or the little A-frame houses we see dotted around or something), Rohan is going to become the land of bree gazebos
    Thanks for the info! I haven't seen the whole video yet, but someone else also mentioned that the Kingstead neighborhood has more wooden fences. Approved!

I believe that the state outside Edoras looks out of place and ruins the overall beauty of Rohan's free wipe open landscape. Its like we have to 2 Edoras in the same place
    Argohald Champion(main), Phokalin Guardian, Aljeza Lore master : The Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana Lore master, Ellinas Guardian Landroval
    Member of old Riddermark family (server)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleziana View Post
    I believe that the state outside Edoras looks out of place and ruins the overall beauty of Rohan's free wipe open landscape. Its like we have to 2 Edoras in the same place
    Exactly! I'd made similar thread in Bullroarer: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ads-suggestion

It would be ok if it looked more rural. But now it's just another huge city with the same fortifications as Edoras. That's really ridiculous.

If it's too late to move homesteads (for example to make them new districts jr suburbs of Edoras), at least, SSG please, remove walls and those towers every 20 meters! Make it as some villages joined together. That would be appropriate. For now Edoras #2 just ruins immersion!

I'm a bit bemused at the current organization of the neighborhoods, what with the one mead hall and ten regular houses. That mead hall screams to be a kinhouse, and it's definitely the Rohan equivalent of the islands. Four kinhouses per Belfalas neighborhood, and usually the two non-islands are empty. I see it becoming the new Tol Falthui in terms of desirability. I hope SSG is preparing to open a LOT of neighborhoods if that happens and the organization remains the same.

That being said, I love the basement with all the individual "bedrooms" and I might just be tempted because of that.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    Exactly! I'd made similar thread in Bullroarer: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ads-suggestion

It would be ok if it looked more rural. But now it's just another huge city with the same fortifications as Edoras. That's really ridiculous.

If it's too late to move homesteads (for example to make them new districts jr suburbs of Edoras), at least, SSG please, remove walls and those towers every 20 meters! Make it as some villages joined together. That would be appropriate. For now Edoras #2 just ruins immersion!
    Then I'll make the same reply that I did there as well.

No please do not remove them. I really liked the towers and walls. It's how larger Rohirrim settlements are built, with fortification and protection. We even through the epic story help repair alot of walls, towers and fortifications in the Rohan areas. Rohirrims are used to being attacked by Dunlendings etc and protect their settlements. Open farms with no walls are the first to be attacked and oblitirated. Finally neighbourhoods that look and feel like in a time of turmoil and danger. All the others neighboutrhoods feel more open (well dwarves are kind of hidden in caves, but still), so it is nice that at least one neighbourhood is not just open to step right into and feel and look medieval with walls, guard towers and and all.

I do agree that the towers might have been a bit too many and too close inbetween each one. Maybe with the idea that everyone could have their own tower close to their property ??? Not sure. I could live with fewer towers and more variations on the wall art assets used, so that it does not look so like a repeated pattern (too much minecraft). Make them look more weathered and worn maybe. However again, definetly keep fortifications with walls and towers to some extent.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 14 2020 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame View Post
    I'm a bit bemused at the current organization of the neighborhoods, what with the one mead hall and ten regular houses. That mead hall screams to be a kinhouse, and it's definitely the Rohan equivalent of the islands. Four kinhouses per Belfalas neighborhood, and usually the two non-islands are empty. I see it becoming the new Tol Falthui in terms of desirability. I hope SSG is preparing to open a LOT of neighborhoods if that happens and the organization remains the same.

That being said, I love the basement with all the individual "bedrooms" and I might just be tempted because of that.
    There are up to 250 instances per homestead, and two homesteads coming, so there will be up to 500 meadhalls per server I guess, and 5000 normal houses. Seems like more than enough to me, honestly, though obviously some locations are better than others and pricing comes into play...
    Crickhollow-

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame View Post

Heads up, the Mead Hall in the kingstead neighbourhoods doesn't have a basement. Instead they have a large barn with slots at the other end of the "compound"

I would like to know the purpose of a stable or a house in Rohan period if you can't display uh I don't know, your horses???? I also agree that we need more decor for this theme if we're to spend real money on a Horse Lord style of house, bit I fear what those would cost in the store as well.
    Been kicking around since 2008... Better days...:)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by abrahamL View Post
    I would like to know the purpose of a stable or a house in Rohan period if you can't display uh I don't know, your horses???? I also agree that we need more decor for this theme if we're to spend real money on a Horse Lord style of house, bit I fear what those would cost in the store as well.
    There are now hooks out at stables so maybe they will add mounts kind of like property guards. We will see. Also there is quite a few Rohirrim style comsetics to get throughout the Rohan areas leading up to Gondor and Minas Trith. Like foir example in Stangard from rep vendor, also in Hytbold and other places, as well as some nice ones from epic story or quests.

Like a small, as well as a Large Firepit etc.

Many variations of this chair (below).

I think 3 different versions of this (3 different shield variants).

Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 15 2020 at 11:12 AM.

Lightbulb

More.

This tapestry in various sizes/lengths.

I think 5 different versions of this.

At least 3 variants of this type of tent to put in the yard.

And quite a few more. Like Horseposts and various beds and such.

However I do agree that we still need more. Me wants precious.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 15 2020 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roelen View Post
    There are up to 250 instances per homestead, and two homesteads coming, so there will be up to 500 meadhalls per server I guess, and 5000 normal houses. Seems like more than enough to me, honestly, though obviously some locations are better than others and pricing comes into play...
    Ah, thank you, I didn't catch the numbers, just kind of skipped through to see the interiors. Probably more than enough, then, given they're not kinhouses and the hefty price tag.

And thanks, Hallandil, for the reminder. I definitely want the basement one, so will have to be careful.

This is all speculation, but I'm just gonna say here that every house in both homesteads has a fenced off outdoor stable area without any hooks around it... given that, my best guess as to what one of the new features they're working on implementing is would be is displaying horses.
    Crickhollow-

On displaying horses...

Would it be possible i wonder to put "dummy" horses in the stables (maybe like those in Lalia's Market or on display throughout Rohan). Or even as a piece of furniture to be placed outside (or inside). And maybe ones that we could then click on and perhaps add the skin of one of the many horses we own onto? That way we can finally display our favorite horses

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    There are now hooks out at stables so maybe they will add mounts kind of like property guards. We will see. Also there is quite a few Rohirrim style comsetics to get throughout the Rohan areas leading up to Gondor and Minas Trith. Like foir example in Stangard from rep vendor, also in Hytbold and other places, as well as some nice ones from epic story or quests.

Like a small, as well as a Large Firepit etc.
    Thank you for sharing the images. I was also referring to those enormous hooks and the lack of decor for those. I do hope those stables will work similar to a property guard hook where they can be displayed and hopefully it is based on the horses you already have and not something you will need to purchase in the store. Purchasing a "housing horse" after already purchasing a store mount would add insult to injury.
    Been kicking around since 2008... Better days...:)

Lightbulb

Thank you for sharing the images. I was also referring to those enormous hooks and the lack of decor for those. I do hope those stables will work similar to a property guard hook where they can be displayed and hopefully it is based on the horses you already have and not something you will need to purchase in the store. Purchasing a "housing horse" after already purchasing a store mount would add insult to injury.
    You're welcome !!!

Agreed. Not only the mounts as they are, but I like my war-steeds and the way I have made combinations with part from various outfits to match say a Rohirrim, a knight, a hunter, Beorn, an elf etc. I rarely go with all the default pieces but pick and chose from various mounts cosmetics to combine into my "own" creations. Those are the ones I'd like to display really, not any default mounts.

Hey SSG. we need tables in rohan style ! ! !

Three points:

- Need more smaller houses, not everyone wants huge mansions
    - Lower the number of stone walls and make them less "grand" and "monumental" and similar to those in Gondor, or just replace them altogether with wooden walls
    - Do NOT place any neighbourhood in any existing area on the map, killing off already existing landscape
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

English try with deepl

What if the village or your own home is attacked at irregular intervals?
    You could organize housing events and try to protect your house/village so that it is not looted or burned down. Similar to those daily construction quests in Rohan to save the burnt village, i can't remember the name.
    What does the community think about this idea? I think Rohan would be the ideal place for such events.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    - Do NOT place any neighbourhood in any existing area on the map, killing off already existing landscape

Yes, this does seem rather odd the way they've done it. As others have said, it's as if there's a second Edoras within sight of the original Edoras, and it takes up a great deal of "open field" landscape space.

Have posted this is another thread, but think it is more relevant here, as it expands on Brethwyn’s point:

I have no issue with there being Rohan housing in general - indeed, I was rather excited about it. But the implementation of this is not ok, and this is primarily due to the location of the Kingstead Plains area.

The problems as I see it are:
    - The homestead is slap bang in the middle of a questing area, so breaks the immersion
    - It is bigger than Edoras and can be seen from miles around - there was no walled city this close to Edoras in Rohan
    - The walls surrounding the homesteads actually limit the freedom of movement around the game map - at the moment there appears to be only one viable entrance and exit.

How can we try to make it fit into the lore in a vaguely tolerable way?
    - Get rid of the walls, and make the whole area accessible from the landscape. Neighbourhoods can be accessed via the housing NPC at the central fountain rather than at the gated entrance, and so it can function like layers do in busy towns.
    - Give the settlement a name! If you’re going to create a major settlement in the middle of Rohan, it needs a name, identity, history etc.
    - There’s a meadhall in the middle - these are only owned by thanes or Reeves, who are not going to simply ‘sell their house as they go off to war’ (the justification provided in the quest text). The thane and all of his/her family would have to have died, and then Theoden/Eomer has asked you to become thane and renew the settlement - otherwise the lore justification for this is pretty dodgy.

My suggested solution?
    - Get rid of the Kingstead plains zone and keep the one in the hills.
    - The hillside one is out of the way and can be ignored by those that don’t want/can’t afford to buy a house (most people).
    - The hillside area makes much more sense to be fenced off, given the landscape surrounding it.
    - Have a version of this settlement which is populated with Rohirrim, a thane, etc and add a few quests to it, to make it properly feel like part of the world.

TL;DR - the Kingstead plains area is too big and too immersion breaking, and isn’t properly weaved into the game lore or landscape. The hills neighbourhood would be easier to justify based on the out of the way location (in the same way that all of the other homesteads are out of the way of main questing locations, including Belfalas).
    Last edited by Tirian-Hammerfist; Feb 21 2020 at 05:43 AM.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Evenya View Post
    Hey SSG. we need tables in rohan style ! ! !
    YES. I've been asking this for years! All we have is the "map" table. We need PLAIN tables, please!! For now, I use either Beorn's table or the dwarf tables, nothing else looks remotely fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    Three points:

- Need more smaller houses, not everyone wants huge mansions
    - Lower the number of stone walls and make them less "grand" and "monumental" and similar to those in Gondor, or just replace them altogether with wooden walls
    I would love a smaller house option! My RP character in Rohan isn't wealthy and doesn't have an "estate" just a tiny cottage. I don't understand why the "small" houses in Gondor/Rohan are ten times the size of the "small" houses in the non-premium homesteads. I'd be delighted with a little two-room Rohan house like the standard Bree houses.

Also agree about the stone walls, I HATE them. Either make them far more sparse or put up wooden fences or just leave the pathways open!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast