We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Rohan homesteads suggestion.

I have a suggestion for Scenario and other worldbuilders.

I found new homesteads near Edoras. I couldn't get into mountain one so i have no idea how it's looking. But meadows homesteads is easy to look at. The idea to place them just in open space is great but these have two problems which ruin immersion a lot:
    1. Place. Now meadows homesteads are take a huge chunk of steppe and this ruins a feeling of vast open steppes where i can ride freely. I think it would be more logical to place them even closer to Edoras probably to south and south-east of the city or to the west across Snowbourne river.
    2. Homesteads look like city. They are walled the same wall as around Edoras with many towers. So meadows homsteads look like another Edoras near original one. And it's even bigger! Obviously another unknown city near Edoras looks strange. So please remove walls and towers, and place just some rural hedges instead of them. Then homesteads will look like suburbs of the Rohan capital which is much more appropriate IMHO.

I guess placement problem is too late to solve. But please remove walls and towers! They really ruin immersion!

View from Edoras

Walls and towers around homesteads

PS. And another small suggestion. There is a bridge over Snowbourne leading to monument near new homesteads. Could you please continue the road to the homesteads? Even if it won't be another entrance to them. Just another bit of immersion

Looks nice! But is it really placed on top of the landscape we have now? Like instanced, but placed in the landscape? I recently visited Rohan and loved roaming the wide fields there. Heck, in my opinion it could be even bigger. I really do not want to let go of that. I have not seen it with my own eyes yet, but I agree with both your points if you are correct.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

If I remember correctly, there is no Rohirric house with a hedge around it (please tell me if I am wrong). Usually the farms are fenced in, with the same fences that you can already find in the Northern Downs (eg near the ascent to Stoneheight). So a fence would make more sense than a hedge (which would be eaten by the roaming wild animals)

Edit: I have thought about the greenery that would be missing, and what climate Rohan has. It lies in the shadows of the White Mountains, which means, it will be less moist than the west (Eriador), and that in turn probably means cold winters and hot summers. Maybe it is even somewhat elevated, as the west is lying at the feet of said mountain range. The trees that grow best on the mountainside are pine trees, together with birches. So the neighbourhood could be spruced up (yes, that is meant as a pun) with those trees. Would you, please?

Greetings, Polymachos
    Last edited by Polymachos; Feb 14 2020 at 03:36 AM.
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Minas Tirith under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    ...But please remove walls and towers! They really ruin immersion!...
    No please do not remove them. I really liked the towers and walls. It's how larger Rohirrim settlements are built, with fortification and protection. We even through the epic story help repair alot of walls, towers and fortifications in the Rohan areas. Rohirrims are used to being attacked by Dunlendings etc and protect their settlements. Open farms with no walls are the first to be attacked and oblitirated. Finally neighbourhoods that look and feel like in a time of turmoil and danger. All the others neighboutrhoods feel more open (well dwarves are kind of hidden in caves, but still), so it is nice that at least one neighbourhood is not just open to step right into and feel and look medieval with walls, guard towers and and all.

Agreed with Lord.Funk, please don't change anything! What I've seen so far, outside & inside the neighbourhoods and houses is just really good at capturing the Rohirrim spirit!
    The only think I thought was too dark is the deluxe houses inner walls, those bricks are almost black and the overall look is sorta grim. But even if you didn't add some more brightness to those walls, I think I'll like them anyways!!
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy - Ithil

Laergwend (Mini) - Back on the shelf again, with all my alts - Gladden

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    Agreed with Lord.Funk, please don't change anything! What I've seen so far, outside & inside the neighbourhoods and houses is just really good at capturing the Rohirrim spirit!
    The only think I thought was too dark is the deluxe houses inner walls, those bricks are almost black and the overall look is sorta grim. But even if you didn't add some more brightness to those walls, I think I'll like them anyways!!
    What I could see tweaked a little bit is that it looks a bit too "perfect" maybe. Like it needs a bit of what on models are called a surface "wash" to look a bit more worn and used. Maybe some moss on the wood and some random stuff so it doesn't look so much as exact perfect with each tower looking the same brand new and the walls inbetween needing some variation on how they look a bit worn and such. It looks a bit too much like layed out piece after piece with the exact same distance inbetween all facing almost exactly the same and same art assets used on each part. Make it look more natural, worn my weather and time and not so layed out and brand new if You understand what I mean (hard to describe in a foreign language) ???

You know like the difference between putting the exact same trees all over vs using a few different models with small variations and even face them in various directions. Kind of like that but with the walls and towers sort of. Really hard to explain. But definetly keep having walls and towers. That's for sure.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Feb 14 2020 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    No please do not remove them. I really liked the towers and walls. It's how larger Rohirrim settlements are built, with fortification and protection. We even through the epic story help repair alot of walls, towers and fortifications in the Rohan areas. Rohirrims are used to being attacked by Dunlendings etc and protect their settlements. Open farms with no walls are the first to be attacked and oblitirated. Finally neighbourhoods that look and feel like in a time of turmoil and danger. All the others neighboutrhoods feel more open (well dwarves are kind of hidden in caves, but still), so it is nice that at least one neighbourhood is not just open to step right into and feel and look medieval with walls, guard towers and and all.
    At least it shouldn't be that much fortified city like Edoras. It would be much better if they had added new homesteads districts of Edoras with those walls&towers. But for brand new city in the steppe it just looks ridicilous. We know that there 2 big cities in Westemnet - Edoras and Aldburg. No more. But now we get third unknown city which is even bigger than Edoras and fortified the same way as Edoras (and better than Aldburg!). That's just ruins immersion.

So my suggestion is to make Meadows homesteads more rural not city-like as it looks now. Probably full removal of walls is bad idea - ok, but at least make walls as in simple towns and less towers not every 20 meters.

Another city with fortifications and size of Edoras is just nonsense. Rohan has very few big cities.

Aldburg was always more popular and filled with players when Edoras. IMHO developers fail big time when they build Edoras, because it turns into one of most forgetable and less usefull big towns in the game. Looks like they try to fix it with homesteads.

There's always the Snowbourn River for immersion.

Just about everything in the game is too dark.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderv View Post
    At least it shouldn't be that much fortified city like Edoras. It would be much better if they had added new homesteads districts of Edoras with those walls&towers. But for brand new city in the steppe it just looks ridicilous. We know that there 2 big cities in Westemnet - Edoras and Aldburg. No more. But now we get third unknown city which is even bigger than Edoras and fortified the same way as Edoras (and better than Aldburg!). That's just ruins immersion.

So my suggestion is to make Meadows homesteads more rural not city-like as it looks now. Probably full removal of walls is bad idea - ok, but at least make walls as in simple towns and less towers not every 20 meters.

Another city with fortifications and size of Edoras is just nonsense. Rohan has very few big cities.
    I agree that the towers might have been a bit too many and too close inbetween each one. Maybe with the idea that everyone could have their own tower close to their property ??? Not sure. I could live with fewer towers and more variations on the wall art assets used, so that it does not look so like a repeated pattern. However againa, definetly keep fortifications and towers to some extent.

R I P (2013-2020) Beautiful open wide Rohan Landscape. Riders Uruk-hai Black arrows will miss their terretory . This landscape is the meaning of Rohan to be open and relaxing while questing arround. Now is going to be destryed by urban planning

"Green fields they guard with honour"

Although the Neighborhood in eastfold looks great 10/10 and is very distinctive located like every other homestead AS THEY SHOULD BE in lotro, Kingstead's Homestead ruins everything in the landscape and i agree with the negative posts here. Besides that it overshadows Edoras and it will definitely confuse new players in the futures.

A new conversation will be like :

Random friend: Hey hey show me Edoras in lotro
    Me : That town over there is Edoras
    Random friend: And why is a town infront of Edoras which is bigger than Edoras?
    Me : Nice weather outside lets go shoping....
    SSG : .... *Money Money Money Must be funny In the rich man's world"
    Argohald Champion(main), Phokalin Guardian, Aljeza Lore master : The Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana Lore master, Ellinas Guardian Landroval
    Member of old Riddermark family (server)

After peeking at the Rohan housing on Bullroarer I had to wonder why does Edoras not have an impressive stable like the housing? These people being so synonymous with horses they should have a big stable in the capital. Minas Tirith has one. But then I find Edoras underwhelming on the whole. I think the grand houses in the housing homesteads are going to make Edoras look even more underwhelming. Please give Edoras a sprucing up if you can find time. It could be so much better.

I also wouldn't mind somewhere with some smaller houses too like Stangard and Aldburg. It seems like they're doing away with them but one of the things I really liked about Rohan housing was that rustic, homely feel too that we didn't get with the standard housing neighbourhoods.

Based on these comments I am slightly worried about Rohan housing. Is it like a big instanced town plopped down in the middle of the green fields? So they are actually killing off some of the original areas instead of expanding them? Please, no. And it's bigger than Edoras? This does not sound promising to me at all. I love the world-building and the look of the houses and all, but please, we need the housing to be "instanced off" somewhere by the mouth of a river, like Snowbourn, or like Aldburg, placed near the woods and hills, or make a new region altogether - just not in the middle of the roaming green fields that Rohan is known for. I will definitely have to get in on the next Bullroarer.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

Yeah, I'm starting to think that "be careful of what you desire, it can come but in a way you dislike" is a very true sentence for this. A town near to Edoras bigger than Edoras is not good.

Don't forget that as soon as we have seen, there is not a single stately house to get. It's 1 kinhall and 10 deluxe, so no cheap versions.
    Anamura, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Sunnarea, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that "be careful of what you desire, it can come but in a way you dislike" is a very true sentence for this. A town near to Edoras bigger than Edoras is not good.

Don't forget that as soon as we have seen, there is not a single stately house to get. It's 1 kinhall and 10 deluxe, so no cheap versions.
    Correction. There are no Kinhalls. It's a meadhall and it's alsa private like the rest. However SSG is working on an invitation function so others can easily vsit Your home. Like Kinmember or those You invite maybe, like they might even possibly get a map or travel function directly to Your house.

I refer to the info in replies by Scenario in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    Both Rohan neighborhoods are premium housing and can be purchased with either Writs or Mithril Coins. Prices are still being balanced based on location and other factors.

There are no Kinship properties in either neighborhood (an individual can own their own meadhall!). We know one of the important features of a kinship house is ease of gathering together. With that in mind, one of the key features we are working on is a way for players to visit the houses of other members of their kinship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scenario View Post
    With a visit feature in place, any house can effectively become a kinship house (at least as far as it being a social gathering point). The Meadhalls have the same number and types of hooks as a Belfalas Island house does - plus housing across these two neighborhoods will have features in it that aren't available elsewhere (such as the brand new moveable Lighting hooks). We knew going into building these that getting people to give up their islands was going to be a hard sell - so we figured a combination of no kinship requirement, and new features, would entice players to these neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Correction. There are no Kinhalls. It's a meadhall and it's alsa private like the rest. However SSG is working on an invitation function so others can easily vsit Your home. Like Kinmember or those You invite maybe, like they might even possibly get a map or travel function directly to Your house.

I refer to the info in replies by Scenario in another thread.
    I know, I was saying kinhall as a way to say "houses the size of kinhalls - 800 MC". The purpose of my reply is to point that there aren't stately houses and it seems that I am the only one complaining about that :/

It seems that neighbourhoods are small compared to other neighbourhoods, because 11 houses per each seems too little number. But as we go with that number, I think it should be 1 kinhall, 4 deluxe and 6 stately. But money is money I guess...
    Anamura, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Sunnarea, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh

I met my husband 7 years ago through Rohan Roleplay. For us the housing is something very special. <3

I just hope there are enough meadhalls for everyone! xD

I am going to greatly miss the rolling fields of Kingstead myself; however, I also get what they are trying to do.

They are trying to give us "both" experiences of Rohan: the Mountain-burgs of the likes of Grimslade, Deeping Coomb, Underharrow, Aldburg, etc., as a housing venue (and that's what the Eastfold housing area gives us), and housing in the midst of the vast, rolling plains.

Personally, I wish they had, way back when, given us some additional terrain in the heart of Rohan before building-out to the White Mountains' coordinates. I do not think, even with the game according to scale, that there's enough terrain in-game to adequately present Rohan's rolling fields. I think it was wise of them to use the hills spurring out from Entwash Vale to Faldham to divide-up the visuals between Norcrofts and Sutcrofts. I also think that, unfortunately, the only way they tried to do the same thing in West Rohan was with Middlemead and its surrounding forest.

I think the problem currently in the game at the moment is that, by introducing Rohan housing where they are introducing it, the scale has already chopped things down too close together. Hindsight is 20/20.

So, what we have here is an issue: The Devs, I think, are right to notice that folks would want different types of Rohan housing from the mountains to the fields. I think they were caught between a rock and a hard place because of how Rohan was originally designed coordinates-wise, and that design also had to do with how they placed the landscape for Enedwaith's Second Age Blackroot Vale session play right south of the mountains that, more or less, correspond where the area south of Helm's Deep is on the Rhovanion map.

So, to an extent, that random placement of the Erech session play predetermined that Rohan's borders along the White Mountains could not run into that sectioned-off territory, and that, in turn, impacted the scale of the rest of Rohan as a region, which may have been an unforeseen surprise.

I will greatly miss those rolling plains of Kingstead. But I also understand why probably they have to go though I do have some suggestions below of how they could try to navigate: its a hard decision. There were no, in the current scale, other areas of Rohan to really expand-on to get the "plains homestead" kind of neighborhood. Hytbold was already developed as its own thing. Plopping the homestead between Garsfeld, Hytbold, Faldham, and Snowbourn would've basically turned the Sutcrofts from farm country into a gigantic, spreading city from the East Wall to the Entwash, which would not have made much sense. Norcrofts and Entwash Vale and Wildermore and the Wold are all designed as being under direct siege by Saruman or the Easterlings in some way. A Rohan homestead in the Wold probably would have yielded similar criticism.

So, that leaves the Broadacres, Stonedeans, Westfold, Eastfold, and Kingstead as potential places for homesteads. Since Eastfold already straddled the mountains directly, it made sense for them to use one of those mountains for a homestead, though I am a bit surprised they didn't just use that terrain that is up the hills south of Aldburg.

Westfold is already taken between the mountain pass, Grimslade, and Helm's Dike / Deeping Coomb. Central Westfold is ablaze by Saruman's forces.

Stonedeans... southern Stonedeans is already taken by Saruman's forces, while there's hardly any terrain to speak of north of Brockbridge other than a couple of forested hills between it and Woodhurst.

Broadacres are already an oxymoron; there's nothing "broad" about them as they are wedged up between a river, the Entwash, and Fangorn. To add a homestead up there would have kind of spoiled that region even worse than Kingstead.

Which leaves us with that chunk of Kingstead between Middlemead and Edoras, and which had little content to speak of between it.

I have a recommendation. Please consider trimming-down or eliminating the "Sutcroft theme" in the homestead. I know that Kingstead, in its description, is supposed to be rich and fertile, but with players already used to a "great nothing" in the middle of central Kingstead for well over five years, I'm not sure its a good time to make that description too literal. Let players use some of those Minas Tirith farmer field decorations if they want to turn their estate into a Croft; but please don't force it; think about shaving away most of those wheat fields and such, leave the stables, and getting rid of plenty of those oak trees.

I think the Kingstead homestead can work fine provided that its mostly grassy plains. It might also help to cluster luxurious houses closer around the Mead-hall, bring some of the yard decoration slots closer, remove the lake (*place that up in the mountains as a mountain lake instead or something), and keep that natural, expansive feeling of the Kingstead plains. I definitely would not want too many yard decorations separated from another by expansive places you can't place stuff; that greatly limits creativity. And, if houses are moved closer, the fence can also be moved closer, and make the homestead feel more compact while also "in the middle of the plains" for that feeling. I would advocate for this aesthetic more than that of lone estates surrounded by fertile fields and lakes and hardly any "sea of grass" to speak of. Another option would be to remove natural rock formations as the barriers, remove the towered fences, and pull everything closer all the same, so that it could feel more like a Garsfeld-style homestead than an Edoras.

If those suggested changes are impractical at this point, then I have another one: please consider shaving-off some of the forests surrounding Middlemead. When folks think of Rohan, they tend to think of flat, rolling, green plains, and not forests. Fangorn is more associated with forest for a very obvious reason, as well as the East Wall. Instead of trees, it could help to put a few rock formations around the river for the Dunlending ambush quests in Middlemead, but otherwise, it would be good to remove most of those trees so that Rohan can feel more vast and rolling north of Edoras and surrounding the new homestead.

That would be my second suggestion as a solution here. I always found it jarring to find a forest in the middle of Rohan where Tolkien didn't really suggest any. Please let the Kingstead homestead give us the "homestead in the middle of the vast sea of grass" vibe, not a forest
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    If those suggested changes are impractical at this point, then I have another one: please consider shaving-off some of the forests surrounding Middlemead. When folks think of Rohan, they tend to think of flat, rolling, green plains, and not forests. Fangorn is more associated with forest for a very obvious reason, as well as the East Wall. Instead of trees, it could help to put a few rock formations around the river for the Dunlending ambush quests in Middlemead, but otherwise, it would be good to remove most of those trees so that Rohan can feel more vast and rolling north of Edoras and surrounding the new homestead.
    Although i understand your point, however i wouldn't call the trees arround Middlemead as a forest but as a small "oasis" in the middle of a green field area which (in my opinion)makes sence, untill they add and destroy this with this new "give me your money" Homestead.

If they were more clever they could had creat an instance homestead version of Edoras where you could just port there by an npc or travel skill and buy any house you wanted there and it would be the first iconic town you could live. This would give 2 benefits

1) Easy for people who dont care about homesteads to avoid it since as i said its an instance version without interfere the actual Edoras that we all questing there.
    2) Doesn't ruin or add any landscape that we all love.

They could justify the colonization of Edoras as after the fall of Saruman era.It is easier to advertise it a win win situation realy!!!!!

Another suggestion as you suggested above would be the location in my photo below

South of Aldburg. There is plenty of space to straighten the mountains there and put an open nice green field homestead just like the one they already made. That location that i suggest also is a win win situation just like my first Edoras suggestion its distinctive like every other homestead in the game and doesn't bend the landscape much as the mountains also extend even more south anyway.

But i guess Senario do not want to lost his hours of work creating this pathetic homestead he already made by admiting he did something totaly random and pointless and WRONG. And yes its WRONG because when you put to your idea more money over ART in the scale then the result is miserable and you may lost even the few you had .
    Argohald Champion(main), Phokalin Guardian, Aljeza Lore master : The Aegean eagles kinship in Evernight
    Aleziana Lore master, Ellinas Guardian Landroval
    Member of old Riddermark family (server)