We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Universal Toolkit bound to character

I have 4 Universal Toolkit that I share between 7 chars. But now they are bound to character.
    I checked in Store and saw a new type, Enduring, more expensive. My first thought was that the new one become the account shared and the old one character bound. But the descriptions are same, the new one is just more durable.

And even if that were the case, the old ones must still be account shared - only new sells fits this changes, right?

Or this is a bug and I am overthinking...

- Landroval
    scharf | celegurth | hadordelu | istadelw | laerorthadan | gelluist | ristatin

Doesn't the store version say "across all your characters in a single world"?

I bet it's a bug. But I hope it's a bug that's supposed to be account bound. I use those things all the time, I would hate for it to be character bound.

The one from the store is bound to account. There are bound to character versions of this item, but the store one is useable across your account.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_RedPanda View Post
    The one from the store is bound to account. There are bound to character versions of this item, but the store one is useable across your account.
    Thank you for the information. Did something change with ones we already had in inventory? From the OP, it seemed like toolkits that had been sharable were now character bound, but I may be misinterpreting what was being said. I don't remember any of mine being bound to character, so I'll have to check them next time I'm in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo.scharf View Post
    I have 4 Universal Toolkit that I share between 7 chars. But now they are bound to character.
    I have universal toolkits on all my crafters under 90, and a few in my housing storage. I have to be honest, I don't track their binding that closely... I know some should be bound to character, like those that came from a Valar. I checked today, and I know at least 1 equipt Toolkit is still bound to account, in addition to the two in storage (even when removed and equipt). I can't say for sure where the ones that are bound to character (non Valar'd) came from, or if they were previously account bound.

Did you check if all your toolkits were bound to characters? Because the only thing I can conclusively add is that not every equipt toolkit was character bound.

I have several toolkits on lower level characters (Hobbit Presents and a couple from the store) and they are all bound to account. I did use one of the Aria boosts that was part of an expansion purchase ... it included a toolkit and THAT toolkit is bound to character. I have seen no others bound to character.

There are quite a few ways to get these toolkits, so unless we know which one came from where it'd be hard to say.

That being said- there was no intention to change the binding rules on these, if you do have one that you know has changed its bind state and know how you acquired it, please let us know so we can look into it.

I wonder if there was some mistake with setting certain things as Bind to Account and Bound to Character.

For example: The Dread of Dragons pocket item from Anvil Tier 3 USED to be Bind to Account. This allowed you to transfer it around to other characters for the emote (since statwise, it's pretty useless as a pocket item).

In the itemdb all 3 types are now marked as Bind on Acquire (Will/Agility/Might) but also... those that were previously obtained also got modified. I had one Agility one sitting in Shared Storage and another that I JUST got last week. Both Agility, both were BOUND to Character, which they absolutely should not be.

I then checked my WILL Dread of Dragons and it is still marked as Bind to Account.

Something has gone wrong...
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

I have heard about the Dread of Dragons' binding changing to character bound for others too. Mine is still account bound.

On the topic of binding, although not new, there's a lot of sketchy binding with endgame items. Some items that drop (bound Crystals of Remembrance are a good example) are fellowship tradeable and bind to account once the 60 minutes expire. In theory... in reality, it binds to account when the timer expires IF that character is online. IF that character is offline, it binds to that character. The normal workaround (sell the decaying item at a vendor and buy it back to remove the fellowship trading timer and force it to bind to account) doesn't work on Remembrances because they can't be sold. Another of life's great mysteries.

As far as I can remember, the only bound to character toolkits are from a valar product and those obtained for barter during the Bounders Bounty event (which was a very long time ago).

I have acquired a lot of these toolkits via hobbit gifts over the years, and none of those have been character bound. I will log in after work and check them, to see if their binding status has changed.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    As far as I can remember, the only bound to character toolkits are from a valar product and those obtained for barter during the Bounders Bounty event (which was a very long time ago).
    I believe they also dropped as character-bound from the daily giftbox during Yulefest, at least when they were first introduced. The old Sturdy Steel Key lootboxes may have been another source.

I have several from Hobbit Gifts that are account-bound (at least all those I've checked), and at least one from Yulefest that is still character-bound.

Thanks for all the comments and tips, and thanks for the quick response from SSG.

I didn't participate in the Bounders Bounty event, and only won a Perlino Horse in the Lottery (it was also a source of Toolkits). I didn't buy any of them at the Store and never used Aria. All items were gifts.

But I did what Finlia said, and accessed all the characters in search of the Toolkits. And in fact I have 5 Toolkits - 4 Bound to Character and 1 to Account. Here senility begins...

...At the time when Sturdy Steel Key were rewards from Deeds, I used some (I only remember to get excited by one Pick a Mount by this source). Although I think I won all Toolkits from Hobbit Gifts, it's easier for my memory to be wrong than to be a bug affecting 4 of 5 items. What makes me feel a little stupid, but amazed to have spent all this time without realizing that I shared only the same item (this reveal a certain favoritism to certain characters indeed). This assuming that Toolkits from lootbox are character bound...

Only now that my main reached level 90, and I decided to change the tool, I realized that I could not send the item to an alt.
    - Landroval
    scharf | celegurth | hadordelu | istadelw | laerorthadan | gelluist | ristatin

Toolkits from the old lootboxes and also from Hobbit presents were all Bound to Account.

I want to say that the Toolkits from lootboxes actually also used to be labeled Bound to Account/Purchased from Store. I remember them having a silver border and everything. At some point they were converted to the yellow border/background we all know today.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo.scharf View Post

Only now that my main reached level 90, and I decided to change the tool, I realized that I could not send the item to an alt.
    All my crafters have this toolkit, account-bound, from old lootboxes and Hobbit gifts. But I recall having 1-2 spare ones in the Vault which circulated among my LP runners. Then one day, right before deleting the current runner, I tried sending her toolkit to the new one. And nope, char-bound.

That was years ago and confused me a LOT. Looking back now, she must have gotten it from the Yule giftbox.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

One instance of Bound-to-character toolkits was from Bounder's Bounty. It was the event added while waiting for a delayed Helm's Deep.