We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Screen Resolutions not listed

After updating from Win7 to Win10, I came back to LotRO today. One major problem. Instead of running the game at 1920x1080 (which I've been using for 5 years), the game has reverted to 1024x768. That's also the only option showing as valid selections in the video configuration. Any ideas what is happening?

Install the DirectX 9 Runtime. Windows 10 doesn't come with it and older games like LOTRO rely on some of the libraries in it.

It does not overwrite the "DirectX 12" installed in Windows 10.

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    Install the DirectX 9 Runtime. Windows 10 doesn't come with it and older games like LOTRO rely on some of the libraries in it.

It does not overwrite the "DirectX 12" installed in Windows 10.

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer
    The Microsoft link seemed to think that it was already installed and didn't install anything (and I wouldn't let it install the Bing Bar). I'm in the process of reinstalling the game and moving it under Steam. No particular reason, just Steam is more convenient for me. I'm skeptical that Win10 didn't install "properly" -- there are directories on the C: drive that I can't delete with my administrator user, system performance is peculiar, and some games (Conan Exiles) actually have worse performance.

But, thanks. I'll look around a bit more.

Don't try to delete system directories!

Also, you may not have Graphics Drivers installed. Check that first.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Same problem here. I cannot change my screen resolution. My drivers are up to date.

Win10.

Thumbs up

My problem was resolved. Check the sticky thread "No DirectX 10/11 Options" to see the results and a bit more details about the issue. My issue looked like something different, but it wasn't. There have been varieties of this problem since 2017, and it still flares up.

Long story short: Changed the nVidia screen resolution away from monitor's native resolution, started LotRO, exited, changed the nVidia screen resolution back to monitor's native resolution. It fixed the issue (now shows all resolutions) for both DX10/DX11. Why? No definitive answer, but it worked.

Anyway, I hope you get this problem fixed.

Thank you so much! I felt like "what the heck...". And now this simple trick fixed it.

Gonna go to bed, working tomorrow, LOTRO after 6yrs in the evening.

Cheerio!