We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thinking about making Visual Enhancement Guide for LOTRO - share your tricks

Hey,

With some things that I've found in recent times (like Nvidia's SGSSAA to remove shimmering or Reshade's Deband to remove massive color banding artifacts on night sky and around object that LOTRO has by default), and along with some more basic filters like Sharpening that I was using since forever, I think I gathered enough improvements to make a guide about it.

Before I do, I'd like to ask you to share your own tricks that you use to improve the look of LOTRO (or any other games), to check if there any more notable enhancements I don't yet know about and could include in this guide.

Keep in mind that we are looking mostly for objective enhancements here, stacking dozens of chaotic overdone Reshade filters on top of each other is not a visual enhancement.

Thanks

Mae govannen Unthariel
    I think that's a great idea. Unfortunately I don't have to contribute myself, but I would be happy if I could spice up the old graphics. Your tips come from the nVidia corner? I currently have an AMD R9 390X and would like to get a new graphics card soon, would you say that in general an nVidia would be better?

Thank you in advance for everything that will (hopefully) come together here.

That's a great Idea

I'll have to try deband in reshade. I currently run SGSSAA and Reshade

The reshade shaders I run are the Fake HDR , MXAO and Smart_sharp.fx.
    The latter is the reshade equivalent of AMD's CAS sharpening filter. I certainly recommend Smart_sharp.fx as it really shows up how good the texture detail actually is (the default LOTRO rendering seems to blur fine detail).
    Taking the Scenic Path to Mordor

Great idea! I want to bring this old thread to you attention: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-and-stability

And this article: https://lotro.fandom.com/wiki/Video_...ce_Tweak_Guide

Maybe it will help a little bit.

Good Idea. Share what to do, that let us enjoy the Game more :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    That's a great Idea

I'll have to try deband in reshade. I currently run SGSSAA and Reshade

The reshade shaders I run are the Fake HDR , MXAO and Smart_sharp.fx.
    The latter is the reshade equivalent of AMD's CAS sharpening filter. I certainly recommend Smart_sharp.fx as it really shows up how good the texture detail actually is (the default LOTRO rendering seems to blur fine detail).
    Doesn't MXAO require depth buffer access, which cannot be accessed with MSAA enabled, which is required to use SGSSAA? Also isn't Reshade's depth buffer access in MMOs like LOTRO or WoW unstable because it cannot have constant access because of anti-cheat, as explained here by the creator of MXAO and RTGI himself? Or maybe you are using some kind of MMO specific Reshade plugin to make it work, I heard such builds exist? This still does not explain MXAO + MSAA combo though, it should not work (can be enabled but will give no effect)

Quote Originally Posted by Thurinuor View Post
    Great idea! I want to bring this old thread to you attention: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-and-stability

And this article: https://lotro.fandom.com/wiki/Video_...ce_Tweak_Guide

Maybe it will help a little bit.
    Thank you. I've made my own guides on these topics though, here and here, so I am fully aware of game's graphics settings and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    Doesn't MXAO require depth buffer access, which cannot be accessed with MSAA enabled, which is required to use SGSSAA? Also isn't Reshade's depth buffer access in MMOs like LOTRO or WoW unstable because it cannot have constant access because of anti-cheat, as explained here by the creator of MXAO and RTGI himself? Or maybe you are using some kind of MMO specific Reshade plugin to make it work, I heard such builds exist? This still does not explain MXAO + MSAA combo though, it should not work (can be enabled but will give no effect)

Thank you. I've made my own guides on these topics though, here and here, so I am fully aware of game's graphics settings and performance.

You're right the SGSSAA does switch off MXAO - I decided to switch off SGSS as to me honest it doesn't actually do much I don't have the shimmering effect - I also had a play with MXAO , I don't know why but it appears to work for me in DX11 but not in DX10
    Taking the Scenic Path to Mordor

My experience is only with Nvidia. I have found that in the Nvidia Control Panel under 3D Settings go to Program Settings and look for "Lord of the Rings Online:Shadows of Angmar (lotroclient.exe)"---There's a list of graphic settings for the game. I have found that I need to match the settings in game with the Program Settings for Lotro in the Control Panel. I should mention that I think it only shows up in the control panel if you have I believe the steam version of the client. I have both on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    You're right the SGSSAA does switch off MXAO - I decided to switch off SGSS as to me honest it doesn't actually do much I don't have the shimmering effect - I also had a play with MXAO , I don't know why but it appears to work for me in DX11 but not in DX10
    You cannot not have shimmering effect, everyone does, you just don't see it. Maybe running small screen, or sitting too far away. Even with MSAAx8 there is a lot of aliasing and shimmering, but with just SMAA it is almost like running no AA at all.

Too bad we have to make a choice between either MSAA+SGSSAA or RTGI/MXAO/DOF though, and cannot have all in one.

Still I will include RTGI/MXAO as an alternative in the guide, even if I don't recommend it because you have to sacrifice all effective Anti-aliasing for it. And since LOTRO's UI gets smaller and smaller with higher resolutions and also the game itself gets unusually blurry when using DSR, you cannot really compensate it with resolution. Normally you could somewhat go around the issue by going RTGI/MXAO + DSR.
    Last edited by Unthariel; Jan 25 2020 at 07:10 PM.