We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hobbit Boxes: What is it with Tomes of Tracking?

In the last weeks, I've gotten a pile of Tomes of Tracking and a couple of piles of coins. The former are completely useless and the later are minor given the amount of money now in the game. It's hard to believe the rng has been stuck that long, has SSG changed the tables to lower the chance of getting something useful?

I keep getting out of combat speed boosts, useless for a Hunter, and simple rally horns, which are useless to anyone.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by groucho42 View Post
    In the last weeks, I've gotten a pile of Tomes of Tracking and a couple of piles of coins. The former are completely useless and the later are minor given the amount of money now in the game. It's hard to believe the rng has been stuck that long, has SSG changed the tables to lower the chance of getting something useful?
    Same here the times I have even bothered to log in and claim it. Seems to be very common, along with +20 VXP. More or less Useless "gifts" from an even more dilluted than ever loot table. Not surprised though. People were asking for better gifts and instead this is what we got. Back to what i often say in realtions to LoTRO "careful what You wish for".

Useless or not it's still Free Stuff.

If it's useless to you it might not be for others.

I use the rally horns to summon friends/kinmates to locations they might need that I am at.
    I've used tomes of tracking to track mobs.
    I send the VXP items to alts-every little bit helps.
    The gold gets sent to crafters.
    etc, etc...
    Formerly from Elendilmir

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.
    Gen. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    I keep getting out of combat speed boosts, useless for a Hunter, and simple rally horns, which are useless to anyone.
    Neither of those are useless. Out of Combat runspeed boosts add onto your Find the Path. So if you are, wisely, not wasting trait points traiting for Find the Path additional runspeed boost the tome + Find the Path combo would give you 25% runspeed instead of just 15% from Find the Path.

Simple Rally Horns are useful for summoning friends to places but I can see how it would be useless if you never have a reason to summon someone.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

My hunter always sends his to my alts, I use those things all the time, great for resource mining and FedEx quests, and running around Bree.

Quote Originally Posted by MourneBlade View Post
    Useless or not it's still Free Stuff.

If it's useless to you it might not be for others.

I use the rally horns to summon friends/kinmates to locations they might need that I am at.
    I've used tomes of tracking to track mobs.
    I send the VXP items to alts-every little bit helps.
    The gold gets sent to crafters.
    etc, etc...

Did I mention anything about rally horns? I didn't. I said that I've been almost exclusively getting that one item. And, no, I've never heard of anyone using the Tracking Tome. Heck, it's not even worth the 7c that a festival map is worth. The in combat scroll is the same.

The horns are useful, once in a blue moon. However, because I'm weird, horn always makes me think of Austin Powers...

Yeah, the gifts are less interesting now that the system has been in place for a few years.
    But, I still open them every day.
    I get lots of trash.
    Occasional cool stuff (I use the horns and speed boosts and other minor buff stuff).
    And on the rare occasion I get large piles of Mithril Coins. 2 characters have each scored the 200MC present.

New stuff would make it a bit more interesting.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Summoning horns. Useless to captains.

Just my 0.2 coppers and a question

The Hobbit Gifts range from extraordinarily nice (200 MC, Black Steel Key [which I received today], Uni Solvent 5-pack) to extraordinarily ordinary (Dwarf Candles, Crams), but they are free and meant to encourage log-ins. I'm OK with them, tho I do miss the older, level-sensitive selections - my F2P 'minor' accounts at Level 24 have minimal use for a nice but bound Star-Lit Crystal, but hey, twas free...
    Be well and good questing, all! See you about Middle Earth another time!

Did I mention anything about rally horns? I didn't. I said that I've been almost exclusively getting that one item. And, no, I've never heard of anyone using the Tracking Tome. Heck, it's not even worth the 7c that a festival map is worth. The in combat scroll is the same.

The horns are useful, once in a blue moon. However, because I'm weird, horn always makes me think of Austin Powers...
    Try reading the post below your original.
    Formerly from Elendilmir

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan next week.
    Gen. Patton

What I have found, that since they updated the Hobbit Gifts for the Yule, after the Yule extras were removed there has been a higher incidence of Potions dropping. You will note that this week's Store Free Item is a.... Tome of Tracking.

What is it with the Dwarf Candles anyway? The Minas Morgul Expansions came with a bunch and have gotten a few in Hobbit Gifts recently as well. What are they good for?

For the Gold Presents, I have gotten a Relic Removal Scroll and a Legacy Tier Upgrade in the last few weeks.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

How about a new rule: Everything must be worth at least 7c? No more cosmetics, tomes and other drops that must be dragged out of your bags to eliminate them if you think they're worthless?

Whenever I return to play LOTRO, I open Hobbit Presents each day on one to 4 accounts. They are definitely streaky. Sometimes I get low rolls for many days in a row before something fun drops. I hope your luck improves soon!

In my opinion, Hobbit Presents work pretty good. I personally find many of the low roll results quite useful, especially Combat Run Speed Boost, Hope, Run Speed Boost, Simple Rally Horn, and Tome of Defense. My personal bane is Dale Man's Crams. When I get those, I take them to the hobbit children listening to a story just outside my Hobbit Hole.

Sophie the Enchantress: Good day, little hobbits! Auntie Sophie has Dale Man's Crams for all of you!

Hobbit children: Yay!

Yes, I really walk Dale Man's Crams to those children before destroying them and it does not bother me even slightly. You can think of that what you will! I immediately use Moral Potions, Power Potions, Tomes of Tracking, and Crafting Boosts just to be rid of them. This also does not bother me.

The Combat Run Speed Boost and Tome of Defense gifts have saved me from defeat more than once. Simple Rally Horns are super useful for me and I hoard them jealously.

During Yule, I thought adding special Yule items to Hobbit Presents was neat. I started late but rolled on 4 accounts every day I could. While I did not get any of the high roll items, there is always next time. I thought the addition of those items was a really nice gesture by the developers.

So, in summation, for me, the system works pretty good. I am sorry some of you hate it so much.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by SophieTheEnchantress View Post

So, in summation, for me, the system works pretty good. I am sorry some of you hate it so much.
    I'm not seeing hate here as much as frustration that so many things are useless to so many people and that, worse, they're forced into our bags while not being vendorable (a word?)

I'm not seeing hate here as much as frustration that so many things are useless to so many people and that, worse, they're forced into our bags while not being vendorable (a word?)
    Vendorable: When something is so adorable you just have to vend it.
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Imo they should remove 2 presents from the loot table, rest are ok, since, hey, they are free after all:

1) In Combat Run speed +20% (lasts like 10 secs), they really are not worth a slot in my bags.
    2) Universal Ingredient pack (silver gives 1, gold 5), I get these daily 9 per toon from housing crates. If I bothered to log every lowbie mule alt for this, it would be around 250 per day.

About track tomes, make them stackable to at least 50 and after that, its an ok gift. You can use them in various hard to find Goblin Scout and Stealth Warg quests.

Piles of scrap, those should scale to level, I agree that 1g copper scrap is bit low for a 130 toon, same as killing 3-4 mobs… But if this were the most useless of the free gifts, all is ok then I suppose.

Use of the Dwarf Candles escapes me. I do not know when would those be useful. Maybe in some RP event?

Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_EU View Post
    Imo they should remove 2 presents from the loot table, rest are ok, since, hey, they are free after all:

1) In Combat Run speed +20% (lasts like 10 secs), they really are not worth a slot in my bags.
    2) Universal Ingredient pack (silver gives 1, gold 5), I get these daily 9 per toon from housing crates. If I bothered to log every lowbie mule alt for this, it would be around 250 per day.

About track tomes, make them stackable to at least 50 and after that, its an ok gift. You can use them in various hard to find Goblin Scout and Stealth Warg quests.
    Not everyone has access to a kin house, so I don't mind seeing 2, but I agree with 1. Still, making everything low worth 7c does make it easier to dispose of them.

Track tomes? I remember the one we get at a lower level, I forget where, and it didn't really work. Do these new ones? I just figured they were as useless as the old "reward".

Sod's Law.

After posting the above I have had 3 Landscape Soldier tokens, now have 6 hours on this L89 alt, and two spares to pass on to another alt if needed.

Not sure why I bother though, the AI on the LS soldier seems to become more dumb every update; last time I accidentally launched one, he sat there doing nothing while I fought off 3-4 orcs, then finally decided to swipe at the 5th orc a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    My hunter always sends his to my alts, I use those things all the time, great for resource mining and FedEx quests, and running around Bree.
    I was thinking about this thread last night while playing. I had a character resource mining while deeding, and the non combat speed boost was really handy.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    I was thinking about this thread last night while playing. I had a character resource mining while deeding, and the non combat speed boost was really handy.
    I have no idea why y'all keep mutting about "non combat speed boost". The useless, non-vendorable drop is for a very short in combat speed boost. I have never seen an out of combat one. The run-speed boosts aren't what are being discussed.

I have no idea why y'all keep mutting about "non combat speed boost". The useless, non-vendorable drop is for a very short in combat speed boost. I have never seen an out of combat one. The run-speed boosts aren't what are being discussed.
    I was answering the above post.

Sod's Law.

After posting the above I have had 3 Landscape Soldier tokens, now have 6 hours on this L89 alt, and two spares to pass on to another alt if needed.

Not sure why I bother though, the AI on the LS soldier seems to become more dumb every update; last time I accidentally launched one, he sat there doing nothing while I fought off 3-4 orcs, then finally decided to swipe at the 5th orc a couple of times.
    Yarbro, you're still alive! Welcome back. Don't scare me like that.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

And, no, I've never heard of anyone using the Tracking Tome.
    Actually.... I use them from time to time. I have a hunter and runekeeper as my "mains", and in some occasions its really nice to have my runekeeper track a certain mob. Most recently in Mordor Besieged, when you have to kill the three brothers.... there were a few more of us leveling up trying to find the same mobs, and I sneakily went and used a tracking tome and got to one BEFORE its engager had a chance to kill him.... so my fireblast didn't only finish him off, it counted for the quest.

Done, moving on. Sure its easy to find those without tracking, but I was new to MM, and you don't know where everything is immediately.

I can also imagine these are quite handy in the Ettenmoors trying to find some creeps.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Actually.... I use them from time to time. I have a hunter and runekeeper as my "mains", and in some occasions its really nice to have my runekeeper track a certain mob. Most recently in Mordor Besieged, when you have to kill the three brothers.... there were a few more of us leveling up trying to find the same mobs, and I sneakily went and used a tracking tome and got to one BEFORE its engager had a chance to kill him.... so my fireblast didn't only finish him off, it counted for the quest.

Done, moving on. Sure its easy to find those without tracking, but I was new to MM, and you don't know where everything is immediately.

I can also imagine these are quite handy in the Ettenmoors trying to find some creeps.
    My first and main is a hunter, so I've always missed tracking on other toons. However, the past ways of doing it didn't work. If they got it right this time, that's nice to hear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast