We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Tank class comparison

Tank class table
    I have made table with all advantages and disadvantages of every class, that have tank trait line, so people can easily decide, which class will be best for their play style.
    Laurelin: Kinship - Outcasts
    Ilwee - Warden, Krindel - Minstrel, Krinborn - Lore-Master, Gislin - Burglar

Interesting chart. Shows quite clearly why Guards and Captains are the most sought tanks, and why Wardens have fallen behind. And why champ tanks...well.

As a champ player who tries tanking from time to time, I might add that Unbreakable also gives Tactical Mitigation rating. At lvl 130, it provides more than 100k at full stacks, nothing to sneeze at. (This was a lot lower some time ago, must have been buffed by one of the last patches.) The rating bonus ofc doesn't change that champs are the worst class when it comes to tanking. :/

I still think guardian is best tank in game and it will always be. But tbh, everything depends on how you play class... some champion tanks can be even better then guardians , captains and wardens.. soo its not always in numbers, have that in mind
    Azmah / Guardian / lvl 130 /// Artiyail / Hunter / lvl 120 / rank 7 //// Artyrune / Rune-keeper / lvl 130
    Kawaiida / Minstrel / lvl 130 //// Nimfiell / Lore-Master / lvl 130
    The Kinship: Get rich or die grinding

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi1337 View Post
    I still think guardian is best tank in game and it will always be. But tbh, everything depends on how you play class... some champion tanks can be even better then guardians , captains and wardens.. soo its not always in numbers, have that in mind
    Captain is by far the best maintank, their only weakness is aggro and they can taunt from the offtank to copy their aggro in raids

The amount of DCDs Captains have is ridiculous and then their offensive support and rez and self healing

As far as the offtank role is concerned probably gonna be either Bear or Guard, who are pretty much on an even playing field. Wardens are probably still a little squishy and Champion well..

Nice list of the statadvantages of every tank.
    But also important are the panics what do they do, and for how long withvwhich CD.
    Their selfheals.
    And the aggromanagment, selfaggrobuild and (aoe)taunts how much, number of targets and their CD.

I mean what is the meaning of a tank who can't die but can't get the aggro.

With this my ranking for raid maintank would be:
    1. Beo, guard
    2. Warden
    3. Cappy
    4. Champ

For offtank:
    1. Cappy
    2. Warden
    3. The others

Edit: My Definition for main and offtank. Main: Do the greater part of the tankingwork/the higher number of targets, if two the maintarget. Off: Tanks the smaller number of foes (even if it is the boss), tanks at two targets the offtarget.
    Last edited by Mukor; Jan 21 2020 at 03:32 PM.

I would say the list is really complete but there are a couple of points missing:

1: Blade of Elendil in captain is not really a normal taunt, as it doesn't copy aggro, so I wouldn't consider it in the same category as other taunts.
    2: Missing self heal capability too, particularly useful when going without a conventional healer.
    3: I would like to add a general best scenario for each class, like the kind of fight in which that class is best, because in the end in raid t3 or even t2 you will only bring the best class for each fight, if one class is really balanced in all fights but is not the best in that fight then it's likely it will be useless in end game.

My personal list:
    Main tank (main boss):
    1-Captain. (just so many cooldowns and buffs)
    2-Guardian. (many cooldowns and highest mits).
    3-Beorning.
    4-Warden. (lacking emergency skills since never surrender is basically an automatic morale potion rather than a true emergency).

Offtank (adds or trash pulls):
    1-Guardian.
    2: Beorning. (really good aggro).
    3-Warden (only if the damage intake in tank is not too high for healers to heal a warden and because of really strong aggro for 10 targets).
    4-Captain (if pulls are small captain would be 1st but if it's more than 5-6 targets then captain will struggle a bit with aggro).

Quote Originally Posted by Kander View Post
    1: Blade of Elendil in captain is not really a normal taunt, as it doesn't copy aggro, so I wouldn't consider it in the same category as other taunts.
    BOE Does copy aggro but that is all it does, it does not multiply it like all other tank-specced force taunts do, which I believe is intended. It acts like fray the edge does on guard when the guard is specced red line, copies threat but not multiplying of aggro.
    Lvl 130 Guard - Olebenny || Lvl 130 Guard - Theoderad || Lvl 130 Guard - Estelrian || Lvl 130 Captain - Galtherium || Lvl 130 Runekeeper - Leegun || Lvl 130 Mini - Nathorean || Lvl 130 Champion - Cephrial
    Leader of Raiders Beneath the Shadow - Arkenstone
    What more does one need in LotRO than a lot of morale and a shield?

Granted "Not all tanks are created equal", Wardens still got the shaft. I really do miss pre-trait tree Warden tanking.

Muzron - r7 WL
    Cheekymunky - r7 Warden

Tank class table
    Thank you for your comments, I have made some adjustments to the table, like added self heals
    Laurelin: Kinship - Outcasts
    Ilwee - Warden, Krindel - Minstrel, Krinborn - Lore-Master, Gislin - Burglar

Quote Originally Posted by Olebenny View Post
    BOE Does copy aggro but that is all it does, it does not multiply it like all other tank-specced force taunts do, which I believe is intended. It acts like fray the edge does on guard when the guard is specced red line, copies threat but not multiplying of aggro.
    BoE is just a 5-second force taunt. It literally just makes the target attack you for 5 secs, then it goes right back to whatever it was attacking before you. I don’t even think aggro comes into it at all. The only few uses it has is if you a) kite the mob away as far as you can in the 5 secs and nobody else is attacking it or b) as a quick stop-gap if challenge and grave wound are both on cooldown and you have lost the mob’s attention. Ideally, you don’t really want to use BoE when tanking as it removes your battle-hardened mitigation buff. Emergency taunt only.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    BoE is just a 5-second force taunt. It literally just makes the target attack you for 5 secs, then it goes right back to whatever it was attacking before you. I don’t even think aggro comes into it at all. The only few uses it has is if you a) kite the mob away as far as you can in the 5 secs and nobody else is attacking it or b) as a quick stop-gap if challenge and grave wound are both on cooldown and you have lost the mob’s attention. Ideally, you don’t really want to use BoE when tanking as it removes your battle-hardened mitigation buff. Emergency taunt only.
    Would say it copy too, but only copy and no multiply.
    The problem in the 5s force the DDR is in lead again.
    Yellow captains habe the smallest selfaggrogeneration of all tanks even worse as the dpsers.

Has anyone done any sort of analysis on incoming damage against mitigations? Ie naked unbuffed pull vs full buff pull and threat output over different time periods? Bonus points if showing entry level gear vs full raid gear. Take the simplest tank, reverse engineer a baseline for mob output damage and multiply across mitigations.