We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Store Item To Skip A Quest?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a dev request for a store item that allows you to skip a quest. As a casual (and not very good) gamer, I mainly play LOTRO for the enjoyment of the Tolkien world, and the great story lines in the game. I always play solo and don't really feel comfortable playing in groups. Once in a while I run into a quest, either in the epic line, or in another large story line, that I'm unable to complete without help, or without putting it aside while I level up some more. In most cases, I can't continue the story line without completing the quest. I wish there was an item you could buy with LOTRO points that would allow you to skip any quest and move on to the next one as if it had been completed. Whether or not the rewards from the skipped quest should be awarded is debatable, but not that important to me.

I guess some people might think of this negatively as a "pay to win" type of thing, and some would say that it takes the fun/challenge out if it. But I just want to enjoy the story lines in the game without the frustration of not being able to advance. Am I alone in this?

No, not alone. I do not appreciate that to complete some things in Lone Land and North Downs, I have found I need to join a fellowship to do instances to get through a portal to complete either deeds or quests. I'm only around level 30-40 on two alts. I like completing things. I find it stressful to figure out how to find compatible "friends", whether schedule-wise, or otherwise. I've already run into a situation where a random connect up with a player turned into a concerning interaction with one of my children. It looked very much like "grooming".

I wish there was a way to skip the BBs in the epic. Just can't stand them anymore and HD BBs block the ending of Vol 3 which I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    I wish there was a way to skip the BBs in the epic. Just can't stand them anymore and HD BBs block the ending of Vol 3 which I really like.
    Yes, BBs in the epic are one of the biggest reasons for my post. I'm currently stuck on Retaking Pelargir.

I feel like there's got to be a solution somewhere out there that does not involve a store item that completes any quest. Some quests out there are specifically meant to be a challenge, and while I do understand your wish to not be dependant on other players being there to do it with you, I'd prefer them going for the solution they did for Epic 1 and 2, where there would be either a solo version of the same quest (maybe with slightly weaker/fewer rewards) or you'd get a buff that strengthens your character to be able to do it solo. I'd imagine having a shop item that would be able to just auto complete, e.g., festival quests asking you to do a daily instance (Storvagun/Thrang) on high difficulty for actually quite strong rewards would be rather unfair to all players doing these quests "the normal way".

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    I feel like there's got to be a solution somewhere out there that does not involve a store item that completes any quest. Some quests out there are specifically meant to be a challenge, and while I do understand your wish to not be dependant on other players being there to do it with you, I'd prefer them going for the solution they did for Epic 1 and 2, where there would be either a solo version of the same quest (maybe with slightly weaker/fewer rewards) or you'd get a buff that strengthens your character to be able to do it solo. I'd imagine having a shop item that would be able to just auto complete, e.g., festival quests asking you to do a daily instance (Storvagun/Thrang) on high difficulty for actually quite strong rewards would be rather unfair to all players doing these quests "the normal way".
    I'm not really asking for the quest to be considered completed. Just a way to skip past it to the next quest in the story line.

OH MY GOD. This a million times over. That part just irritates the Hell out of me, I HATE Big Battles.

Well, I don't have an opinion on an item to skip quests either way. I can see both advantage and disadvantage in it, so. . . I'll stay neutral on it.

But, if anyone in here is on Evernight, or Crick, and in need of a friendly hand to get past something, by all means, send me a PM though here and I'll come along to help out.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Over the years, a very few quests and one quest chain angered me so much I skipped them. In all cases, the quest writers decided to Gode-Mode my character in a way that infuriated me.* None of the quests were difficult or offered a meaningful reward. It was all about the (terrible) writing. If given the opportunity to skip past such quests, and the price was reasonable, I would use it at an estimated rate of one skip per character per year.

I enjoy Epic Battles and would not pay to skip those.

I also enjoy completing group quests by myself. Group quest monsters do so much more interesting things than solo quest monsters. Every time the level cap increases I go back to see what old group stuff now falls within my reach. I actually look forward to such opportunities and would not pay to skip them.

Wait, wait, wait a minute! Kobold sense trap!

If it becomes possible to skip quests, the writers may begin intentionally adding quests designed to frustrate and infuriate players.

*shudders*

You may want to hide this thread from Darth Severlin.

* The writers in most role playing games I have tried are guilty of this.
    Sophie the Enchantress - Creator, Dreamer, Explorer - Happy yet Sad - Seeker of Beauty and Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by RickM59 View Post
    I'm not really asking for the quest to be considered completed. Just a way to skip past it to the next quest in the story line.
    I'm more worried about what would happen "behind the scenes" if such item were to be created. To unlock follow up quests, the probably easiest way would be to simply flag the quest that's bothering you as "completed" and omit the reward. A more advanced approach would be to unlock follow up quests without flagging the previous quest as completed, I'd wonder what would happen to any "do these three sub quests to advance"-scenarios if you were to skip one of the sub quests.

Either way they choose, what would be most important for me is that it were to work the way you were describing without running the risk of breaking things elsewhere. Quest chains that get progressively more "difficult" the further you progress and build up to some rather valuable reward, but that include multiple quests could break by giving players a way to claim the reward without actually doing most "difficult" stuff (what I was referring to in my previous post) - as you could just do the final quest and skip everything else. Other quests might break completely, leaving your character in a state the game does not know how to handle, and leaving you without a "normal" way to progress any further. (E.g., if they were to search and unlock any quests that require the one you skip to be completed, then lock the skipped quest for your character but not flag it as actually completed, then there's a quest telling you to do the skipped quest along with some others and you need to have the skipped quest completed as well as the "do these three quests" one to accept follow up quests, you might end up in a scenario where one quest tells you to complete the one you just skipped but you cannot do that any more as you skipped it, and you cannot accept follow up quests because your character still does not have all prerequirements. Only way out of that would be to skip yet another quest.)

If implemented in a proper way, and SSG made sure that you could not gain any advantage (in regards to rewards!) over other players, sure, go ahead. I'm just worried about things breaking, and I see quite some things that one could break with such an item.

Quote Originally Posted by SophieTheEnchantress View Post
    Over the years, a very few quests and one quest chain angered me so much I skipped them. In all cases, the quest writers decided to Gode-Mode my character in a way that infuriated me.* None of the quests were difficult or offered a meaningful reward. It was all about the (terrible) writing. If given the opportunity to skip past such quests, and the price was reasonable, I would use it at an estimated rate of one skip per character per year.

I enjoy Epic Battles and would not pay to skip those.

I also enjoy completing group quests by myself. Group quest monsters do so much more interesting things than solo quest monsters. Every time the level cap increases I go back to see what old group stuff now falls within my reach. I actually look forward to such opportunities and would not pay to skip them.

Wait, wait, wait a minute! Kobold sense trap!

If it becomes possible to skip quests, the writers may begin intentionally adding quests designed to frustrate and infuriate players.

*shudders*

You may want to hide this thread from Darth Severlin.

* The writers in most role playing games I have tried are guilty of this.
    You are right. This might become a problem on the dev side if they can make money with it.

For me it is not as much skipping quests to get to the end of the story as it is the BBs. If the quest after could start without finishing them, that would be great. I mean, we can do these battles before we even get the quests and they count as completed even if done outside the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    I'm more worried about what would happen "behind the scenes" if such item were to be created. To unlock follow up quests, the probably easiest way would be to simply flag the quest that's bothering you as "completed" and omit the reward. A more advanced approach would be to unlock follow up quests without flagging the previous quest as completed, I'd wonder what would happen to any "do these three sub quests to advance"-scenarios if you were to skip one of the sub quests.

Either way they choose, what would be most important for me is that it were to work the way you were describing without running the risk of breaking things elsewhere. Quest chains that get progressively more "difficult" the further you progress and build up to some rather valuable reward, but that include multiple quests could break by giving players a way to claim the reward without actually doing most "difficult" stuff (what I was referring to in my previous post) - as you could just do the final quest and skip everything else. Other quests might break completely, leaving your character in a state the game does not know how to handle, and leaving you without a "normal" way to progress any further. (E.g., if they were to search and unlock any quests that require the one you skip to be completed, then lock the skipped quest for your character but not flag it as actually completed, then there's a quest telling you to do the skipped quest along with some others and you need to have the skipped quest completed as well as the "do these three quests" one to accept follow up quests, you might end up in a scenario where one quest tells you to complete the one you just skipped but you cannot do that any more as you skipped it, and you cannot accept follow up quests because your character still does not have all prerequirements. Only way out of that would be to skip yet another quest.)

If implemented in a proper way, and SSG made sure that you could not gain any advantage (in regards to rewards!) over other players, sure, go ahead. I'm just worried about things breaking, and I see quite some things that one could break with such an item.
    Good points. I'm pretty much resigned to continuing to just work around the difficulties however I can. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there anyway.

Yes, BBs in the epic are one of the biggest reasons for my post. I'm currently stuck on Retaking Pelargir.
    BBs are hard to do on your own. But if Pelargir is the challenge, the best thing to do is put out a call in LFF for Pelargir 1/2. You will always get someone because people run it ALL the time and the duo counts for the epic same as the solo. In fact, the duo instance is EXACTLY the same as the solo, so if you are trying it on your own it will be literally twice as hard.

The other good thing to know where BBs are the issue is that if you have already completed them at least once, you don’t need to do them again when you get to them in the epic. I realised this when I got to Gondor - because I had already done Pelargir about a million times it just automatically skipped the instance and let me hand the quest in without running it again. Good idea is to look out for people running them in LFF and tag along with a run whenever one comes up. You can do this at pretty much any level and you will then be able to skip them in the epic so you don’t need to be stuck at that point. It isn’t a complete skip, but it does mean you have plenty of time - about 100 levels to be able to get the job done.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

A money option to skip quests from a progression chain is a BAD idea. A much better option would be to offer a struggling player a help of some kind. I.e. at start of instance you get a potion. Taking the potion makes you mega-powerful (essentially, inspiration), but doing a full chain without ever taking the potion, carries some kind of extra reward - like a title or cosmetic cloak or a housing item.

Or maybe offer an alternate path. I.e. in Everquest Planes of Power, Tier 2 and up zones were locked, mostly requiring raids to access. We are talking 70-man raids here. But there were also alternate access quests doable by groups. I.e. proper access to Halls of Honor (T3) required a raid to defeat Crystalline dragon Aerin'Dar in Plane of Valor (T2)
    However, by collecting certain drops from Valor and various T1 zones, one could obtain a key to enter the Halls. These alternates did not count towards primary progression into elemantal planes and Plane of Time, but at least you could venture into T2+ with other flagged people until an opportunity came to take part in a raid.

But when it comes to BBs, seriously people. These are designed for duo. Solo option is for those with rank and experience. This is an MMO. ASK for help. A lot of people would gladly take a break from the dailies to do something meaningful for a change.

I am on Crickhollow, with close to 300 BB points, and can take you through any BB, pretty much guaranteeing at least gold. I have helped a few folks through Helm's Dike, Pel and others.

Frodo did want to go into Mordor alone. We all have a pretty good idea how that would end.

A little addition about asking in-game for help.
    I dunno about others, I pesonally find World chat mostly toxic and annoying. I got it perma-off. I think asking in /LFF might work better.
    Ask at least a couple times, 3-4 min apart. Say I am busy doing an instance and someone asks for help in lff, I might let it by. If no repeat request, I assume someone else answered. If they ask again in a few, I will usually send a tell, i.e. 'will be available in about 10 min'.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtilleryman View Post
    BBs are hard to do on your own. But if Pelargir is the challenge, the best thing to do is put out a call in LFF for Pelargir 1/2. You will always get someone because people run it ALL the time and the duo counts for the epic same as the solo. In fact, the duo instance is EXACTLY the same as the solo, so if you are trying it on your own it will be literally twice as hard.

The other good thing to know where BBs are the issue is that if you have already completed them at least once, you don’t need to do them again when you get to them in the epic. I realised this when I got to Gondor - because I had already done Pelargir about a million times it just automatically skipped the instance and let me hand the quest in without running it again. Good idea is to look out for people running them in LFF and tag along with a run whenever one comes up. You can do this at pretty much any level and you will then be able to skip them in the epic so you don’t need to be stuck at that point. It isn’t a complete skip, but it does mean you have plenty of time - about 100 levels to be able to get the job done.
    The problem with BBs, I can't out grow them, I can't set a comfortable level, they are extremely long and even a companion doesn't always help to win. It needs to be somebody who knows these instances and can win them alone because I just am not a lot of help. I'm not really playing my character in them, certain objectives need to be met (and I'm not talking about the side quests) plus everything seems to take forever. For me they are a RNG mess. I actually like Pelagir but that is impossible for me solo. We are not forced into fellowship instances for the epic anymore which is a great improvement. So why force these different game play instances?

Honest question spawned from personal curiosity, but what are some of the reasons folks don't like grouping? Maybe I am lucky that I found some helpful like-minded folks who believe in smelling the roses, exploring together, while always putting family first without question. Not that I always group, but to be quite honest, I prefer grouping up for some light roleplay and tackling challenging content (or dying) together.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    Honest question spawned from personal curiosity, but what are some of the reasons folks don't like grouping? Maybe I am lucky that I found some helpful like-minded folks who believe in smelling the roses, exploring together, while always putting family first without question. Not that I always group, but to be quite honest, I prefer grouping up for some light roleplay and tackling challenging content (or dying) together.
    I don't mind grouping at all myself, but my personal situation (wife is handicapped, 2 cats, I play in the living room at my office I carved out in the den) requires me to go afk from time to time for small things. Get some water for the wife. Feed the cats. Get the mail. Talk to the wife about something. Separate the cats growling at each other. Those kinds of things. I'm also the main cook in the house, and I prepare lots of dishes in the oven, which requires me to check on them frequently. (I bake a mean cheesecake, y'all)

I have unfortunately heard through back channels in a previous kinship I was in where someone had said not to group with me.... not because I was bad, but because I go afk a lot, and it took too long to his liking to complete anything - he was one of those "must do everything fast" kind of people. So, I DO certainly group, but only when I know I have an hour or so to dedicate to it..... which usually is only once or twice a week.

It's one of the reasons I love this game so much: You can certainly do a lot yourself!

As for the OP and BB's: No, I would be against "skip a quest" items to be honest. I've never had any problems soloing a BB, however if it is too difficult, and you get killed by bosses and/or mobs.... perhaps they could change it so you get a "AI buddy" (much like a skirmish soldier) in solo BB's to help you out. You can't summon a soldier in BB's currently unfortunately.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks to all for the advice.

The problem with BBs, I can't out grow them, I can't set a comfortable level, they are extremely long and even a companion doesn't always help to win. It needs to be somebody who knows these instances and can win them alone because I just am not a lot of help. I'm not really playing my character in them, certain objectives need to be met (and I'm not talking about the side quests) plus everything seems to take forever. For me they are a RNG mess.
    Yes indeed, gotta be upfront about what you need. Not just 'Deeping Wall 1/2' but state outright that you need someone who can solo the thing. And you CAN help. A player who knows the weak spots will know where to station you so you can heal soldiers/banners or help killing mobs. That is, actually playing your class.
    Also, anything seems to take forever if you are just standing around doing nothing. The key is to be engaged. Pay close attention to what the other guy is doing. Ask questions. If you just stand there like a signpost, it will be super boring/take forever for you, and the other will likely think 'what is the point of helping that one?'. Yeah, Dike can take some time to prep, but other battles, things are happening all the time, no time to get bored. And speed of battle can often be controlled.

I actually like Pelagir but that is impossible for me solo. We are not forced into fellowship instances for the epic anymore which is a great improvement. So why force these different game play instances?
    Frankly, I would imagine that about 99% of playerbase had no issue getting through Pel/MT battles either solo or by enlisting some capable help. Cause people either go "I totally can do it alone" or "I need to ask for some capable help, this is an MMO".
    But you seem to exhibit this unique weird combination of 'I can't do it alone' and 'I gotta do it alone'. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    Yes, you were lucky. My past experience with grouping is primarily in other games where people appear to think "It's an online game, I can be as odious as possible to anyone". I have heard foul mouthed players cursing everyone else out "for not knowing how to play their characters", yaddayaddayadda using the worst name calling, yes all of those words. ONE time in a Korean game I found a group willing to drag me through a particularly tough dungeon so I could advance. They were very nice. That's ONE time out of about 40 attempts to group in various games.

I thought LOTRO folks would be a little different. Nope. First time out I was in a group of foul mouthers. Dropped out. Haven't grouped again.

This is MY time. I pay for MY game. I want fun, not stress from goobers. So I solo to control the amount of garbage I see on my screen and yes, WC is off.

That is why I don't group.

And don't mention kins. Sometimes I am offline for months; and I really don't want complaints about me not scheduling my game time around them when I can find time. Not fair to either party.

On topic? Pelagir is very annoying. I can solo the others but that one is the pits. Have not completed it. With the current lag situation I wouldn't even attempt it.
    Irritating people? USE the Ignore feature under Community > Friends & Contacts > Edit Ignore List and ADD THEM there. Or, click this - EDIT IGNORE LIST. Btw, MMO never meant "all together now". It simply means a server capable of supporting simultaneous play of hundreds or even thousands of players. Anything else is false narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Namma View Post
    This is MY time. I pay for MY game. I want fun, not stress from goobers.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up the way I feel about it. I'm sure the "goobers" are a small minority in LOTRO, but it only takes 1 to sour me on the whole experience. Amazing how much this game mirrors real life sometimes.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the way I feel about it. I'm sure the "goobers" are a small minority in LOTRO, but it only takes 1 to sour me on the whole experience. Amazing how much this game mirrors real life sometimes.
    That is true, but also, it only takes one . . . the change your mind. Bite the bullet (maybe more than once) and you'll find her/him. You hold all the power, not the goobers. When you get them, dump the group (even if they are not aiming at you, but some other poor member), they then have to look for someone new and if that happens often enough, group members begin to look into why.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Yes indeed, gotta be upfront about what you need. Not just 'Deeping Wall 1/2' but state outright that you need someone who can solo the thing. And you CAN help. A player who knows the weak spots will know where to station you so you can heal soldiers/banners or help killing mobs. That is, actually playing your class.
    Also, anything seems to take forever if you are just standing around doing nothing. The key is to be engaged. Pay close attention to what the other guy is doing. Ask questions. If you just stand there like a signpost, it will be super boring/take forever for you, and the other will likely think 'what is the point of helping that one?'. Yeah, Dike can take some time to prep, but other battles, things are happening all the time, no time to get bored. And speed of battle can often be controlled.

Frankly, I would imagine that about 99% of playerbase had no issue getting through Pel/MT battles either solo or by enlisting some capable help. Cause people either go "I totally can do it alone" or "I need to ask for some capable help, this is an MMO".
    But you seem to exhibit this unique weird combination of 'I can't do it alone' and 'I gotta do it alone'. Why?
    I already did it on 3 characters. Still would love to play the end of Vol 3 again but without the BBs keeping me from it. I've tried and done them, now I can't stand them anymore. MT, last time I did it was easy. But that was a long time ago and last time I tried HD I was under the impression that they had become harder. I don't like them and doing them is torture, something a game shouldn't be. But I just stop the epic there and then pick up vol 4, skipping the BBs there as well. Missing a big chunk of story that way but far more relaxing and fun for me.

So why force these different game play instances?
    This is the problem that I have with BB's as part of the epic storyline. It's a feature that I despise, and it's extra game play mechanic that's not an essential part of gameplay. So why is it in the epic storyline?

Even playing some Mithril Coins to get past BBs in the epic story line would be ok with me.

So yeah, I agree with the OP.