We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is crafting worth it for a casual Hunter and Champion?

Its been a tough ride. I have been playing off and on since 2008, and I still, to this day, cannot figure out if I should be crafting or just gathering. I am mostly torn on my Hunter, as both Explorer and Woodsman sound so perfect. Would woodworking be useful for a hunter? I feel its just bows and that's it. My main issue is "do I need to craft to get gear and or weapons"?

Cant I make enough gold from Explorer gathering to purchase what I need? Plus, skirmish vendors keep me well geared while leveling it seems... I also don't mind rep grinds for gear too. Is that available in the end game? And what about my Champion? Again, I feel maybe I should just go Explorer with him too and get gold...

Some facts:

• My highest level character is level 81
    • I have 1200 gold if that matters
    • My two main characters are Hunter and Champion
    • I have a host of alts from teens to late 30's
    • I do not think I will ever raid much if at all. Might do one, and do some end game dungeons.
    • I have tried Metalsmithing on my Champion and usually end up not using it and switching back to Explorer.
    • Some of my lower alts DO craft. I have a Captain Tinker and a Runekeeper Historian
    • Mostly torn on the Hunter, as both Explorer and Woodsman sound so perfect. Wood woodworking be useful for a hunter?

Thanks!

Crafting can be useful while leveling, but far from necessary. Quest rewards in combination with gear from the skirmish camp will provide quite sufficient gear while leveling.

At end-game crafting seems to be of quite limited use from what I understand.

Gold doesn't really matter in LOTRO. Other than paying for stable rides, and housing upkeep, and stuff like that, the only real use for it is buying items from the Auction House, and the really interesting items can't be bought or sold there anyway.

Both Explorer and Woodsman can be useful for Hunters. Largely a matter of taste which to pick.
    Having your highest level character be an Explorer, and then have several low-level alts who craft from the materials gathered by the Explorer is a viable strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by donjn View Post
    Its been a tough ride. I have been playing off and on since 2008, and I still, to this day, cannot figure out if I should be crafting or just gathering. I am mostly torn on my Hunter, as both Explorer and Woodsman sound so perfect. Would woodworking be useful for a hunter? I feel its just bows and that's it. My main issue is "do I need to craft to get gear and or weapons"?

Cant I make enough gold from Explorer gathering to purchase what I need? Plus, skirmish vendors keep me well geared while leveling it seems... I also don't mind rep grinds for gear too. Is that available in the end game? And what about my Champion? Again, I feel maybe I should just go Explorer with him too and get gold...

Some facts:

• My highest level character is level 81
    • I have 1200 gold if that matters
    • My two main characters are Hunter and Champion
    • I have a host of alts from teens to late 30's
    • I do not think I will ever raid much if at all. Might do one, and do some end game dungeons.
    • I have tried Metalsmithing on my Champion and usually end up not using it and switching back to Explorer.
    • Some of my lower alts DO craft. I have a Captain Tinker and a Runekeeper Historian
    • Mostly torn on the Hunter, as both Explorer and Woodsman sound so perfect. Wood woodworking be useful for a hunter?

Thanks!
    Crafting is definitely worth it while levelling up, at least up to level 100. I would definitely have your hunter as an explorer and champ as a metalsmith, as the crafted armour in that level range is excellent gear and relatively easy to gather mats for and craft. You can use quest gear, but there is often a gap where you just need (or want) something better and the crafted stuff is perfect for that. And yes, the excess materials you gather can create a lucrative gold supply.

With 1200 gold, you have more than I have ever had in one go, even adding all my characters together. The only way you’ll really go down that quickly is if you are purchasing lots of scrolls/crystals or end game crafting shards from the AH. Or possibly if you’re trying to buy every cosmetic pet in the game

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

I would say yes, definitively worth it, up to 95-ish. for gear and consumables. You can find a lot of crafted stuff in AH though, with a little patience. On higher levels only crafted essences come to mind, which can't be found in AH.

I agree with posters above that you don't need it, so the biggest question is: do you think you'll enjoy it?

My first toon was/is a hunter. I chose woodsman for the bows. That's about the only thing I wanted to keep top. I moved to eight toons/classes primarily to have one of each craft. I used to love it. However, after Moria, it becomes more and more useless, and once you get to 100, that's about it for crafting LI's. The only thing I continue crafting is food. It's always useful.