We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Angry @SSG, you have to fix this LAG! NOW!

The game is in a very very bad state right now, and the lag is getting out of control recently. Today was server restart and still it is barely playable. You cannot just stand back and watch and just pretend this issue doesn't exist and at the same time charge real money for a product which you havent even managed to fully deliver yet.

What is wrong with you guys?

If you cant fix the lag/code/server/netcode - whatever - then please, just shut down the game for good. You will save yourself and us a lot of trouble.
    Original Challenger of the Abyss

Jep, it's a mess at the moment.
    And the worst with each update it becomes worse.

And don't say the problem are our computers.
    When 4k games are running on higher solution without performance problems and Lotro not. Find the failure.
    Last edited by Mukor; Jan 15 2020 at 04:10 PM.

Lag is confirmed server side. People doing same content together typically get lag spikes at same time, regardless of where from and how they connect.
    And if, as I suspect, they are trying to cut costs by running the game on cheapest possible hardware/network infrastructure, they cannot 'fix' it, short of investing into something better. Which they will not do.
    Remember that server move last year that was supposed to take 8 hours and lasted almost 3 days? I think that's when they downgraded.

Where is there lag? I'm not getting any. Please, don't say in Minas Morgul. If you put up with that trash, you deserve the treatment you're getting. You get what you pay for.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    Where is there lag? I'm not getting any. Please, don't say in Minas Morgul. If you put up with that trash, you deserve the treatment you're getting. You get what you pay for.
    Not only in the new areas, also find it difficult to log in about 1 hour ago
    Arandour Champion Rank 12-Nerien Hunter rank 11-Runendir RK Rank 7
    Kinship PRIME-Evernight Since May 2007
    Borzol R12-Mauhnakh R9-Varcolac R9-Sumnor R8-Orcapo R8 (Creep status retired)

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post

Its not lag as delay in connection, but rather a too large server load. It happens everywhere in the game, and how bad it is, depends how much you are currently needing server resources in whatever you are doing. Like yesterday, I crafted in kinhouse during peak hours, and every time the game took the materials from me and gave the result, I got 1 sec freeze.

And all of this ofc depends on how many ppl are logged on at the same time. Where European and American playhours overlap, there are the worst hours. Also weekends and holidays are bad. In Europe, best time to play is on weekday about 8 am to 14 pm. Not much "lag" or delay in actions then. For Americans, Im guessing the best hours would probably be around 1 am to 7 am.

It also seems that different named game servers are not separate physical servers, but rather run on whatever physical server resources are free - or least occupied.

Quote Originally Posted by Findun View Post

If you cant fix the lag/code/server/netcode - whatever - then please, just shut down the game for good. You will save yourself and us a lot of trouble.

Yo, please don't "us" as a whole here, cause that definitely does not speak for me.

I am multiboxing a 6 man everyday. I play at all hours of the day. Every now and then I get some lag, but it is not bad. The only annoying thing is that sometimes I get the flying bug.
    I have no idea what computer or where in the world the people that are complaining about lag that makes the game unplayable are or have. I am in a rural area with a cable internet company,
    it is not the best connection either. I am in the USA, maybe that makes a huge difference. I am not defending SSG, they do have their problems, but I have NEVER experienced this lag that these
    posters are complaining about in 12 years of playing.

Yesterday I leveled on landscape (Minas Morgul) with my champ and a guardian from my kin. We usually pull all mob groups in an area and fight them in one go (20+ mobs). In this configuration we get the following behavior:
    • guardian reactive events vanish before they are executed
    • battle frency goes from active to CD without executing (no fervour generated)
    • skill delay in the order of 5 seconds per skill, for a period of 30 seconds+
    • Mobs dropping from full health to defeat in an instant
    • rubberbanding across large distances (comparable to warsteed experience) when running

One may of course say that collecting that many mobs is not foreseen, but doing them one by one has almost the same issues.

In addition

• "already in use" on almost every interactive object for multiple times (we try to use the objects after one another)
    • quest popup delay in the order of 10 seconds
    • crafting delay of ~1 second at result generation
    • vault delay
    • ash deconstruction delay of up to 10 seconds

All of that is confirmed by other people from our kin that are in a different country, use different computers, different providers.
    It is even independent of time, i.e. I get the same problems even on Sunday morning 7 AM UTC, with ~150 non-anon players (in comparison to 800-900 at prime time) or later morning (when US players have typically gone to sleep). This delay was introduced in multiple steps, with the largest one being the database "update" to Postgre. By now even server restarts do not make things better.

With yesterdays experience (major lag in the multiple 10 second range at almost every fight) it will not take long until I need to stop playing. Of course we can still get through the content on landscape, but doing higher instance tiers requires to *react* to mob skills/corruptions/fields. It does not work if the computer says "no".
    We have reached a point where simple landscape play has become a turn based game. This needs to change or people will quit. Even whales need a population of smaller fish around them.

Quote Originally Posted by thinx View Post
    Yesterday I leveled on landscape (Minas Morgul) with my champ and a guardian from my kin. We usually pull all mob groups in an area and fight them in one go (20+ mobs). In this configuration we get the following behavior:
    • rubberbanding across large distances (comparable to warsteed experience) when running

One may of course say that collecting that many mobs is not foreseen, but doing them one by one has almost the same issues.

In addition

• "already in use" on almost every interactive object for multiple times (we try to use the objects after one another)
    • vault delay

All of that is confirmed by other people from our kin that are in a different country, use different computers, different providers.
    It is even independent of time, i.e. I get the same problems even on Sunday morning 7 AM UTC, with ~150 non-anon players (in comparison to 800-900 at prime time) or later morning (when US players have typically gone to sleep). This delay was introduced in multiple steps, with the largest one being the database "update" to Postgre. By now even server restarts do not make things better.

With yesterdays experience (major lag in the multiple 10 second range at almost every fight) it will not take long until I need to stop playing. Of course we can still get through the content on landscape, but doing higher instance tiers requires to *react* to mob skills/corruptions/fields. It does not work if the computer says "no".
    We have reached a point where simple landscape play has become a turn based game. This needs to change or people will quit. Even whales need a population of smaller fish around them.
    If pulling 20+ mops isn´t foreseen, they must increase the difficulty of this game, you can do it solo, so why it shouldn´t be foreseen. Bit offtopic, but I don´t see why this isn´t foreseen and should increase the lags. Same for running as a raid in landscape. In my eyes as long you can do it, it is foreseen and should cause the same problems as pulling one foe by foe (smaller groups) and running alone->CERO problems/lags.
    and ad to this list a frequently vanishing effect of catch a breath (guard selfhelfheal).

Lightbulb

In addition

• vault delay

I can confirm all of this frequently as well. I play less now (like I wasn't even logged in for 2 days in a row until yesterday) but still did notice the delay on interacting with NPC's especially. That's playing at non prime-time. I try to play when fewer on, as during prime-time it's next to unplayable in Minas Morgul areas. However even in other areas I have noticed some of this at times.

It's not my PC, i7, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080, 1x500GB SSD only for the O/S and 1x1TB SSD for games. 2x1TB WD Blue HD's for storage of other stuff, so definetly not potate hardware or software issues on my end. Other online games runs fine too. Like my son currently online plays among other games GW2 sometimes, Overwatch, TeamFortress 2, BF1, No Mans Sky, Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, WarThunder etc with none of these issues, so not our ISP either.

All this is especially frustrating when playing classes with short windows of reactive skills like the Guardian, as thinx describe I often can't use those skills as they go grey again before I can use them due to all this.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Jan 16 2020 at 07:43 AM.

This is for outside US and EU-players. Alot of players are complaining and pissed. You should do something.

Quote Originally Posted by arrogantbookworm View Post
    I am multiboxing a 6 man everyday. I play at all hours of the day. Every now and then I get some lag, but it is not bad. The only annoying thing is that sometimes I get the flying bug.
    I have no idea what computer or where in the world the people that are complaining about lag that makes the game unplayable are or have. I am in a rural area with a cable internet company,
    it is not the best connection either. I am in the USA, maybe that makes a huge difference. I am not defending SSG, they do have their problems, but I have NEVER experienced this lag that these
    posters are complaining about in 12 years of playing.

In addition

• vault delay

this.

Quote Originally Posted by Findun View Post
    The game is in a very very bad state right now, and the lag is getting out of control recently. Today was server restart and still it is barely playable. You cannot just stand back and watch and just pretend this issue doesn't exist and at the same time charge real money for a product which you havent even managed to fully deliver yet.

What is wrong with you guys?

If the game causes this much frustration why keep playing? Moreso, paying?

Same Here - UK (On a 200MB Cable connection with normally 100ms max lag to the US)

Playing on Warden last night (19:00 GMT) - Might as well be randomnly mashing buttons as any kind of input sequencing (for gambits) is impossible -

Quest - pop up lag was 5 seconds

Going into a EPIC instance (where the morale boost is applied) - had to wait for 30 seconds just for the boost to be applied - (I actually got killed once because I walked to an EPIC Master mob with my morale still not boosted )

Gave up and ported to Estelin to do some crafting in the crafthall - just walking from the workbench I was using to the supplier would lag and actually pause for 3-4 seconds every time

The Lag has been absolutely shocking since the last update was applied and no reboot of the server has helped one jot

Sunday is just as bad , at around 10:00 am GMT every sunday I find myself logging off as it's just frustrating to try and do anything
    Taking the Scenic Path to Mordor

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    If pulling 20+ mops isn´t foreseen, they must increase the difficulty of this game, you can do it solo, so why it shouldn´t be foreseen. Bit offtopic, but I don´t see why this isn´t foreseen and should increase the lags. Same for running as a raid in landscape. In my eyes as long you can do it, it is foreseen and should cause the same problems as pulling one foe by foe (smaller groups) and running alone->CERO problems/lags.
    and ad to this list a frequently vanishing effect of catch a breath (guard selfhelfheal).
    Well, high mob density is the new design style since Gondor. Quantity instead of quality. Which also means we cannot just increase quality without reducing quantity. We almost finish meta slayer deeds (in some cases exceed them) during questing, so just increasing quality (e.g. to the level we had at RoI) would mean that content gets extremely tedious.

If it is foreseen is another topic, but in the current design it is not foreseen that one char fights against one mob. Still this doesn't mean that many of us should form AoE groups and slaughter mob hordes on landscape. It is a topic of system load and coincidence. 20 players in a group collecting and killing 20 mobs is probably worse than 20 players doing the same solo.
    With sufficient server reserves this should be supported, but it shouldn't be standard (IMO also a reason why multibox raids cause more simultaneous system load than the same number of solo players)

For people saying they never experience any "lag" (and by that I mean the experience others are describing here, I don't care what the actual technical term may refer to), please list which server you are on. It may very well be that different servers are acting differently.

For my own experience, I am on Landroval.
    • Riding a war-steed just about anywhere results in brief pauses and stuttering in the game followed by a correction where the horse seems to "skid" rapidly over the ground
    • Interacting with objects will often seem to have no result, but trying again shows "already in use"
    • When playing in my normal duo, the other player experiences "lag spikes" at the same time and of the same duration I do; we live almost 1000 miles apart

Whatever is going on, it is not in the imaginations of the players who report it. And, while computer specs may play some role in the finer points of how the problems manifest, the underlying cause is not with the computers themselves.

I can't say for certain it is SSG hardware, since I suppose it could also be something like a connection along the route to that hardware, but it is something.

I don't want to see the game shut down like one post above suggested, but I will say that when it comes to the possible end of LOTRO, I fear technical difficulties more than I fear loss of licensing or that new game from Amazon that we know next to nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Arandour View Post
    Not only in the new areas, also find it difficult to log in about 1 hour ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayenne_EU View Post

Its not lag as delay in connection, but rather a too large server load. It happens everywhere in the game, and how bad it is, depends how much you are currently needing server resources in whatever you are doing. Like yesterday, I crafted in kinhouse during peak hours, and every time the game took the materials from me and gave the result, I got 1 sec freeze.

And all of this ofc depends on how many ppl are logged on at the same time. Where European and American playhours overlap, there are the worst hours. Also weekends and holidays are bad. In Europe, best time to play is on weekday about 8 am to 14 pm. Not much "lag" or delay in actions then. For Americans, Im guessing the best hours would probably be around 1 am to 7 am.

It also seems that different named game servers are not separate physical servers, but rather run on whatever physical server resources are free - or least occupied.
    That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I did notice that the game is super eager to auto-log me whenever I go afk.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

For the remaining sub time of my gametime card I effectively pay for a game which can't even provide proper servers without
    - Constant lags
    - Inductions getting interrupted/having to retry several times to get them through with the error of "You're already using that", but nothing happening
    - Skills not executing

Is this some indie game company which can't provide stable servers?

Well, high mob density is the new design style since Gondor. Quantity instead of quality. Which also means we cannot just increase quality without reducing quantity. We almost finish meta slayer deeds (in some cases exceed them) during questing, so just increasing quality (e.g. to the level we had at RoI) would mean that content gets extremely tedious.

If it is foreseen is another topic, but in the current design it is not foreseen that one char fights against one mob. Still this doesn't mean that many of us should form AoE groups and slaughter mob hordes on landscape. It is a topic of system load and coincidence. 20 players in a group collecting and killing 20 mobs is probably worse than 20 players doing the same solo.
    With sufficient server reserves this should be supported, but it shouldn't be standard (IMO also a reason why multibox raids cause more simultaneous system load than the same number of solo players)
    No not both at once, either one. Forming a raid on landscape for nazguls etc.
    or collecting solo 20+ foes and slay then (depending on the class is this faster as doing small groups. wel at least if you stay lagfree ;-)). both doesn´t work lagless, especially on primetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    For people saying they never experience any "lag" (and by that I mean the experience others are describing here, I don't care what the actual technical term may refer to), please list which server you are on. It may very well be that different servers are acting differently.

I can't say for certain it is SSG hardware, since I suppose it could also be something like a connection along the route to that hardware, but it is something.

I don't want to see the game shut down like one post above suggested, but I will say that when it comes to the possible end of LOTRO, I fear technical difficulties more than I fear loss of licensing or that new game from Amazon that we know next to nothing about.
    I am on Arkenstone. I rarely have lag.

Once or twice a year I have the lag other folks complain of where skills don't fire and moving items in my bag leave the little circles twirling.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratic11 View Post
    Is this some indie game company which can't provide stable servers?
    They are tiny, obviously. Whether or not they can or cannot afford better equipment is the age old small business owners’ dilemma.

I don't lag much, very little here, but i do notice when crafting there's hitch every time i create something last only for half a second, becomes more noticeable when crafting stacks of items as you see it a lot more of it. but the lag i see/get sometimes when traveling/questing is small and hardly effects me, a lot of the time i get no lag. i know others can get it much worst though.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

After the last update my lag became so bad I quit the game and made sure I hadnt accidentally selected the legacy 32bit option.

Warsteed sliding all over the landscape (Eastern Rohan), even when barely moving - I've had to start getting off and walking the last couple of metres as I cannot get the WS within range of the NPC much of the time.
    One side went on for over 5 seconds and moved me 100s of metres, stopped, then slid me another 10 meters (through a wall), all with my WS stationary.

I've been killed a couple of times because all my skills and movement controls were locked up for so long, 2-3 mobs were hacking and stunning me before I could get a shot off. Once instance yesterday, I could select every mob in sight - except the one hacking me to bits.

It's as bad as the bad old days, if not slightly worse.

Quote Originally Posted by HeliStorm View Post
    This is for outside US and EU-players. Alot of players are complaining and pissed. You should do something.
    Not just outside US. I am on the east coast U.S. and I play with a friend on the west coast U.S. several times per week and we consistently get skill lock/ lag at exactly the same time.
    Landroval: Pierceya, Wislak, Goodeva, Novat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast