We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Buying from you is a bad experience all around.

I've owned LotRO for over a decade, but I only recently started playing it again. I decided that I wanted to buy an expansion to unlock something. Problem number one jumped right out before I even completed the purchase.

You have to give your full billing info to use Paypal. It isn't needed. Paypal uses my login/password. You're just gathering that info for no reason. All required fields. Either you're hoarding data on your players or you have a terrible website in desperate need of updates. Neither is particularly reassuring to the buyer.

Problem number two came in when I completed the sale and realized that I'd have to wait on an email. So much for rolling that new character tonight, guess I'll sleep on it. Nope, woke up to just a couple emails telling me my payment went through and it will take up to 48 hours to get me my product code. 48 hours. I can log on Amazon, buy a physical game, and have it delivered to me in that time. Why does it take 48 hours to give me a product code for a completely digital purchase?

I found problem number three when I tried to look up my order. Despite having my order number verified in multiple emails, by both you an Paypal, I cannot pull it up through your "find your order" system almost 12 hours later. Is it wanting some special password? My account password doesn't work, and at no point was I given anything else that could be construed as a password. So again, either my order hasn't made it into the system after 12 hours or the site is malfunctioning. Given that just logging in to the forums landed me on an error screen, and your own link to the account forum section is a 404, I'd believe either.

Making sure the customer doesn't just give you money, but is happy to have done so afterwards, is basic salesmanship. So far every step from when I decided to make a purchase until now has been unpleasant. This is without taking into consideration the hundreds of dollars required to access everything in the game. Currently, being your customer is an unpleasant experience.

I enjoy the game, but will probably stick to free play from here on out. This isn't a threat made because I want something in return. I made my purchase, and it will be available when it's available. This is just my feedback as a customer.

Edit: It's been over 24 hours and I still cannot access my order using the findmyorder link. Since I paid via Paypal there is not last 4 to match it to, and I still have no idea what password I'm supposed to use for the order number option. Either it's not my account password or the order number was just never put into that system. I really would like to hear whether I'm doing something wrong or if it just plain doesn't work.

Edit: Code finally retrieved from findmyorder. The problem? The password that findmyorder wanted was a random string in one of the order emails. It was not my account password, despite clicking "forgot password" taking me to the account password reset. After seeing the code, I was able to search it in one of the emails as well. I had skimmed over it because it's titled "Digital Rights". Every step of this process just needs some polish and relevant info needs to be prominently presented. How many tickets have been dealt with when a larger font size and appropriate labeling would solve most of them?
    Last edited by Rakhar; Jan 16 2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakhar View Post
    I've owned LotRO for over a decade, but I only recently started playing it again. I decided that I wanted to buy an expansion to unlock something. Problem number one jumped right out before I even completed the purchase.

You have to give your full billing info to use Paypal. It isn't needed. Paypal uses my login/password. You're just gathering that info for no reason. All required fields. Either you're hoarding data on your players or you have a terrible website in desperate need of updates. Neither is particularly reassuring to the buyer.

Problem number two came in when I completed the sale and realized that I'd have to wait on an email. So much for rolling that new character tonight, guess I'll sleep on it. Nope, woke up to just a couple emails telling me my payment went through and it will take up to 48 hours to get me my product code. 48 hours. I can log on Amazon, buy a physical game, and have it delivered to me in that time. Why does it take 48 hours to give me a product code for a completely digital purchase?

I found problem number three when I tried to look up my order. Despite having my order number verified in multiple emails, by both you an Paypal, I cannot pull it up through your "find your order" system almost 12 hours later. Is it wanting some special password? My account password doesn't work, and at no point was I given anything else that could be construed as a password. So again, either my order hasn't made it into the system after 12 hours or the site is malfunctioning. Given that just logging in to the forums landed me on an error screen, and your own link to the account forum section is a 404, I'd believe either.

Making sure the customer doesn't just give you money, but is happy to have done so afterwards, is basic salesmanship. So far every step from when I decided to make a purchase until now has been unpleasant. This is without taking into consideration the hundreds of dollars required to access everything in the game. Currently, being your customer is an unpleasant experience.

I enjoy the game, but will probably stick to free play from here on out. This isn't a threat made because I want something in return. I made my purchase, and it will be available when it's available. This is just my feedback as a customer.
    Wow, there is in no way you can argue with this, He is not wrong, and your pay model absolutely sucks, you at ssg who contract out the payment services, really should be shamed
    Cheesiepoofs Bane of Vilya

I've owned LotRO for over a decade, but I only recently started playing it again. I decided that I wanted to buy an expansion to unlock something. ...
    Wow, what did you actually buy? I've subscribed, purchased expansions, even had something purchased for me by a friend as an electronic gift and never had to wait for codes or this convoluted bad experience you mention. Not challenging you, just honestly want to know what put you through this rigmarole. Have you tried to play the new content anyway? Sometimes it doesn't seem like something has gone through but when you look in game it's there and available.

It is an extra step to type in all your billing information when you just want to use Paypal, but they may just be trying to protect themselves against fraud or who knows what else. Seriously doubt they're just hoarding information, so try not to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Seglord View Post
    (chimed in just to be negative)
    No surprise here.

Minas Morgul Standard, purchased through the in-game pop up store when trying to make one of the new dwarves. It's for actual dollars, not points. It's my understanding that the code they send you can be used on any account, since they don't actually touch your account to unlock it. I have to wait for the code so I can add it to my account. I still cannot make a stout axe dwarf, so no, it's not active on my account.

The personal info is required for credit card reasons. Once you click on pay via Paypal, the info should no longer be required. It was just easier to require every single person to enter everything than to make the Paypal option flag it as not required, I'm guessing. It isn't insurance for Paypal payments because not giving out all of that is why I use Paypal in the first place. No vendor needs any of my Paypal info beyond a username to tie it to. That's how Paypal works.
    Last edited by Rakhar; Jan 15 2020 at 12:51 PM.

Minas Morgul Standard, purchased through the in-game pop up store when trying to make one of the new dwarves.
    Ahhhhhhhh ok now it makes sense- I've never tried to create a locked character immediately after buying an expansion, so I wouldn't have experienced this. Man, I'm really sorry it's happening like this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    I've never tried to create a locked character immediately after buying an expansion
    It's not "immediately after buying". It's been 14 hours. Again, I could buy a physical game on Amazon and have it shipped to me in the time this will take. I do not understand how it can possibly take days to produce a product key when my payment was cleared in minutes. This should be an automated system. Am I waiting on someone to manually verify my individual purchase, which isn't even tied to a LotRO account since you can use the code on any account? The payment is verified, what other verification is there since it isn't tied to an account until after I get the code?

It's not a good way to do online purchases, and I've searched and found multiple other people complaining about it over the years. It isn't made known to the buyer how the system works until after the fact. You wait, with no knowledge, for an hour or so for an email that just tells you it will be up to 48 hours before you get anything. At no point in any of these emails does it even mention that you'll be getting a key to use to add the product to your account. I had to look that up myself. You'd think that buying something from the store in the game would activate it for your account, but for cash purchases it does not.

It appears from a couple of other threads in this subforum that others have been having billing / payment issues in the past few weeks. Not directly related to your issue I know but it seems to point to a broader problem with what is for most companies a primary focus - - getting paid and delivering goods. I have never had a problem but I haven't had any transactions for a while now.

I know SSG farms this stuff out, but sounds like the farmer isn't 100% in the game. Sorry you're having a problem.

I have to ask (because I've done it myself)...are you sure you entered the right email address for the order delivery? I know you received confirmation of billing, but I don't know if they wanted you to re-enter an email address for actual delivery.

It's not "immediately after buying". It's been 14 hours. ....
    Whoops! Nono, I didn't mean it critically, or even literally. I bought Mordor when my main character was still in Lossarnach, so I didn't make use of my purchase for a really long time. Didn't try to make a high-elf until even later on. Even 14 hours seems "immediate" compared to that. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Whoops! I didn't mean it critically, or even literally. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Lol yah
    Cheesiepoofs Bane of Vilya

It's not "immediately after buying". It's been 14 hours. Again, I could buy a physical game on Amazon and have it shipped to me in the time this will take. I do not understand how it can possibly take days to produce a product key when my payment was cleared in minutes. This should be an automated system. Am I waiting on someone to manually verify my individual purchase, which isn't even tied to a LotRO account since you can use the code on any account? The payment is verified, what other verification is there since it isn't tied to an account until after I get the code?

It's not a good way to do online purchases, and I've searched and found multiple other people complaining about it over the years. It isn't made known to the buyer how the system works until after the fact. You wait, with no knowledge, for an hour or so for an email that just tells you it will be up to 48 hours before you get anything. At no point in any of these emails does it even mention that you'll be getting a key to use to add the product to your account. I had to look that up myself. You'd think that buying something from the store in the game would activate it for your account, but for cash purchases it does not.
    Did you check your junk email folder? It is possible the code got sent there.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by Occum View Post
    I have to ask (because I've done it myself)...are you sure you entered the right email address for the order delivery? I know you received confirmation of billing, but I don't know if they wanted you to re-enter an email address for actual delivery.
    Thank you for ordering from the Standing Stone Games [ssg].
    Your order has been submitted and is currently being processed. You will receive another email with the details of your order within 48 hours.

No, this is standard operating procedures for this. It's working as intended. No, it's not going to junk mail. I'm still waiting 22 hours later. Even on the chance that it's outsourced they still gave it the go ahead to be how they do business.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ve-e-mail-code
    This is more people dealing with the same thing. Like I said, the waiting on it's own isn't a deal breaker. It's the complete lack of information each step of the way. The store page doesn't even tell you that you're buying a key. You'd think that you're activating content on your account, but that isn't how the cash purchase works. The first email takes around an hour to arrive, and tells you that you can look up your order in the system...which you can't because it doesn't work. You get a 2nd email at the same time that just says it'll take up to 48 hours to get more info. I'm not as upset about the wait as I am that someone approved this process. It shows no consideration for the customers. It's confusing to the customer at best, and maddening at worst. I shouldn't have had to do internet searches to figure out what was up with my order. I shouldn't be directed to an order info page that doesn't work with the order number I was given.

I'm not venting at you, Occum, just reiterating the problem.
    Last edited by Rakhar; Jan 15 2020 at 09:59 PM.

Without knowing all the details.

SSG basically have NO staff working outside 9-5 M-F other than a few in-game mods and a forum mod who turned up when they feel like it.

Anything using real money was still being handled manually last time I used any, so if you are buying outside of the above hours, they wont even see the payment to process it for up to 48 hours - more if there is a US holiday.

Purchases made with TP went straight through.

Yeah it sucks, I run a 2 person toyshop and can process payments in seconds - 1 minute if I forgot to sync the card reader (15 minutes if I forgot to sync the MkII card reader, as it is a POS), and I pay a pittance for the service.

For the love of Eru. How many times do people need to be told that the code to activate your purchase is on the final confirmation window you see at Digital River. There is NO need to wait for an email. Read the entire page before closing, locate the code, fire up the lotro in-game store, redeem code, log out, log in, done.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Rugongrod View Post
    For the love of Eru. How many times do people need to be told that the code to activate your purchase is on the final confirmation window you see at Digital River. There is NO need to wait for an email. Read the entire page before closing, locate the code, fire up the lotro in-game store, redeem code, log out, log in, done.
    I made my purchase through the in game store. I looked for the code. There was not a code. I only knew to look for the code because I searched forums and Reddit before completing the purchase. I'm guessing that's how it works when you buy from the store outside of the game. The last page I saw literally just said that I'd get more details shortly. It didn't even mention email. I wish I'd taken a screenshot of that final page so that people would quit blaming the people making purchases like they did something wrong by not knowing ahead of time what should have been made impossible to miss. If there was a code then it was not presented as such and absolutely nothing on any page I saw said "Here's your code". Again, buying something from the store shouldn't require doing research to figure out. People keep needing to be told because the process itself does not tell you, and that is the problem.

I guess the "find my order" site not working is the customer's fault too. I'm an hour and a half from the 48 hour mark and still can't look up my order and have not gotten a final email.

I made my purchase through the in game store. I looked for the code. There was not a code. I only knew to look for the code because I searched forums and Reddit before completing the purchase. I'm guessing that's how it works when you buy from the store outside of the game. The last page I saw literally just said that I'd get more details shortly. It didn't even mention email. I wish I'd taken a screenshot of that final page so that people would quit blaming the people making purchases like they did something wrong by not knowing ahead of time what should have been made impossible to miss. If there was a code then it was not presented as such and absolutely nothing on any page I saw said "Here's your code". Again, buying something from the store shouldn't require doing research to figure out. People keep needing to be told because the process itself does not tell you, and that is the problem.

I guess the "find my order" site not working is the customer's fault too. I'm an hour and a half from the 48 hour mark and still can't look up my order and have not gotten a final email.
    The find my order site www.findmyorder.com is working fine, with mail + CC AND with order number + psw

tested with explorer and edge (just in case...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sydir View Post
    The find my order site www.findmyorder.com is working fine, with mail + CC AND with order number + psw

tested with explorer and edge (just in case...)
    Ordered with Paypal, so CC number not working is no surprise. Order number still not working though. I even tried the forgotten password link in case it's a different account or something...nope, same account. Using the right password, just can't access my order. Tried in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.

Edit: Code finally retrieved from findmyorder. The problem? The password that findmyorder wanted was a random string in one of the order emails. It was not my account password, despite clicking "forgot password" taking me to the account password reset. After seeing the code, I was able to search it in one of the emails as well. I had skimmed over it because it's titled "Digital Rights". Every step of this process just needs some polish and relevant info needs to be prominently presented. How many tickets have been dealt with when a larger font size and appropriate labeling would solve most of them...
    Last edited by Rakhar; Jan 16 2020 at 11:51 PM.

I just ordered the expansion via lotro.com/minasmorgul for my wife with CC and within 10 minutes i got my code.

But overall i also think the order process isn't really well made.

I'm new to LOTRO as of a month ago, so everything is still a bit unfamiliar but here is what I did for anyone in a similar situation.

Yesterday I purchased the quad pack of expansions through the LOTRO website and received two emails -the first of which informed me my order had been received and about twelve hours later I received a second "confirmation" email containing all the info I needed to access the content. Both emails give the order number but only the second one provides the password info needed for www.findmyorder.com and the digital rights 25 character alphanumeric code key. FWIW I copied/pasted this code into the in-game store redeem code box to get LOTRO to recognise my purchase.
    Making up in enthusiasm what I lack in knowledge

I've owned LotRO for over a decade, but I only recently started playing it again. I decided that I wanted to buy an expansion to unlock something. Problem number one jumped right out before I even completed the purchase. [...]
    I agree and had a similar experience when purchasing an expansion recently. It is not intuitive or reassuring to the customer at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dspite_Nacht
    I'm new to LOTRO as of a month ago, so everything is still a bit unfamiliar but here is what I did for anyone in a similar situation.
    Good to see new players but you shouldn't have to wait 12 hours to use a digital purchase.
    Lore is the watchword of LotRO

Book icon for tracking Deeds

I just bought the Mordor expansion (abou 30+min ago), and I too have yet to see an email from SSG even confirming I bought it. I got one from Paypal saying SSG took my money. Fascinating how shady and clunky their system is. PWI/Cryptic isn't this bad and they are a Chinese grinder game company.

Edit: Mine just came, thankfully it didn't take 2 days for the codes to come... still a horribly clunky system.
    Last edited by KitsuneGirl; Mar 10 2020 at 11:59 AM.
    :: Rosewillow Noakes - Bilbo Baggins Fangirl - Landroval ::
    :: Rosequartz Tunnelly - Aspiring Talespinner - Landroval ::

Sadly SSG doesn't just take the money PayPal does then sends it to SSG. So you might want to look at what company is handling you money.
    Landroval Yewlin level 123 hunter, Gwenyan 110, Yewdalin 100

My advice, take a screenshot of the confirmation screen when you buy anything from the website, as the code appears there instantly. Then you don’t have to wait for the email to arrive and can enter the code immediately. I bought Isengard for my son last week and did exactly that. Very fortunate that I did, as the email has never arrived. He is, however now level 73 and has been powering through the expansion - eek - he’s gonna want RoR soon

Edit: I know that we should be able to rely on companies to do what they say and send the darn email, but I make a habit of doing this with anything bought online in general.
    Last edited by TheArtilleryman; Mar 17 2020 at 07:10 AM.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

bought latest expac collectors edition and still waiting 11 hours and counting so far.

Angry So i paid with paypal yesterday as i have in the past, and i have not received my code or an email after 24 ho

Yeah, so let me get this straight, they take your coins and say you will receive something shortly and thats legal? Is it really legal for online payments to not receive ANY NOTIFICATION AT ALL! I cant believe that really, i cant.

This is the year 2020, this is a digital game and a digital account that accepts a digital code, so why in the hell cant you email it to me the instant the payment was made to you!