We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Let's talk about the North Downs.

So I have recently taken one of my toons through the North Downs, which not only was the first in a couple of years but also the first since the region was revamped. And while it was interesting to see that some quests I remember, seem to no longer exist I found it to still be extremely painful... and that's even with the fact that a lot of the quests seem to be auto-bestow now (for which you have my eternal thanks).

After thinking about it, I realised that the main factor for this was the fact that there is no swift travel in the North Downs (with the exception of the swift travel routes coming in and out of Esteldin such as to Bree, Rivendell, Angmar, Evendim etc.). And given the amount of running back and forth we still have to do, this can be somewhat tedious. Correct me if I am wrong, but out of all the regions that were revamped around the same time a couple of years back, the North Downs was the only one not to receive swift travel routes. A fact which greatly deters from the other changes made for the better imho.

So I ask the devs to please, please, please add swift travel if not to all stables (though I don't see why they can't as other regions such as Evendim have this), than at least from West Bree to Trestlebridge* and then from Amon Raith to Esteldin.
    Last edited by Mirillin; Jan 13 2020 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Mirillin View Post
    So I have recently taken one of my toons through the North Downs, which not only was the first in a couple of years but also the first since the region was revamped. And while it was interesting to see that some quests I remember, seem to no longer exist I found it to still be extremely painful... and that's even with the fact that a lot of the quests seem to be auto-bestow now (for which you have my eternal thanks).

After thinking about it, I realised that the main factor for this was the fact that there is no swift travel in the North Downs (with the exception of the swift travel routes coming in and out of Esteldin such as to Bree, Rivendell, Angmar, Evendim etc.). And given the amount of running back and forth we still have to do, this can be somewhat tedious. Correct me if I am wrong, but out of all the regions that were revamped around the same time a couple of years back, the North Downs was the only one not to receive swift travel routes. A fact which greatly deters from the other changes made for the better imho.

So I ask the devs to please, please, please add swift travel if not to all stables (though I don't see why they can't as other regions such as Evendim have this), than at least from West Bree to Trestlebridge* and then from Amon Raith to Esteldin.
    I kinda like that everywhere doesn't have swift travel. Means you're out in the landscape more, and it's a rugged, largely abandoned landscape. I think spending time travelling adds to the atmosphere of the zones. Possibly the only route I'd add is a swift travel option between esteldin and treslebridge. But even so, I like the zone as is.

As for the questing, there's a fairly consistent flow now I find, with the only real back and forth thats perhaps worse than other areas between Meluinen/Othrikar and Esteldin. Otherwise it's fairly standard hubs and landscape really.

Have to agree to Thymir.

I just quested through North Downs with a char and personally i think the area is really good incl. the group content over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thymir View Post
    I kinda like that everywhere doesn't have swift travel. Means you're out in the landscape more, and it's a rugged, largely abandoned landscape. I think spending time travelling adds to the atmosphere of the zones. Possibly the only route I'd add is a swift travel option between esteldin and treslebridge. But even so, I like the zone as is.

As for the questing, there's a fairly consistent flow now I find, with the only real back and forth thats perhaps worse than other areas between Meluinen/Othrikar and Esteldin. Otherwise it's fairly standard hubs and landscape really.
    I'm pretty much in agreement here. I can see swift travel in between zones, but not small towns and settlements.

Since Esteldin based as "secret rangers camp", and Meluinen/Othrikar just small, very small villages, they don't need swift travel. Imagine if Gondolin have a lot of travel routs, everyone know about it, including Morgot. Also North Downs just deserted area with few spreaded villages, you can't expect a lot of travels between them. Especially when orcs invade from Angmar and ruin everything. Also Trestlebridge in blocade and attacked by orcs, and we don't have any other big towns in this area or around it.

You know them putting in swift travel doesn't force you to use it, right?

The thing about adding swift travel is that it gives people options, so if you are someone who prefers to run around on landscape then you can continue to do so as by adding it you are in no way affected. It just means for someone who maybe has limited time or patience, so simply has taken 10+ toons through the area and have no desire to run around on landscape yet again an option to make things easier.

As for the running back and forth, I literally finished it this morning before I made this post and yes granted the actual quest lines are much better however the epic is still tedious.

Also if Esteldin is so "secret" then how come we already have swift travel to it from West-Bree, Tinnudir, Rivendell and Garth Forthnir? Not to mention that there are other towns which are small or secret or not meant to have a lot of foot traffic yet they still have swift travel options.
    Last edited by Mirillin; Jan 13 2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Typos

You know them putting in swift travel doesn't force you to use it, right?

The thing about adding swift travel is that it gives people options, so if you are someone who prefers to run around on landscape then you can continue to do so as by adding it you are in no way affected. It just means for someone who maybe has limited time or patience, so simply has taken 10+ toons through the area and have no desire to run around on landscape yet again an option to make things easier.

As for the running back and forth, I literally finished it this morning before I made this post and yes granted the actual quest lines are much better however the epic is still tedious.

Also if Esteldin is so "secret" then how come we already have swift travel to it from West-Bree, Tinnudir, Rivendell and Garth Forthnir? Not to mention that there are other towns which are small or secret or not meant to have a lot of foot traffic yet they still have swift travel options.
    Nah. It doesn't take that long to get around in North Downs. I really don't have anything AGAINST the idea, but I also don't think it's needed. Like Esteldin to Othrikar or the Elven outpost down South. No need for swift travel to those.

You can get to most of North Downs quite quickly from Esteldin swift travel via Bree. But if you're progressing with a new character, you'll be heading to Trestlebridge first, and progression proceeds north and eventually east.

I don't think there needs to be anymore swift travel within North Downs, but what I would like to see is a swift travel option from Bree to Trestlebridge.

PM for invite: Ciph, Cipha, Ciphariel, Ciphor, Ciphorin | Alielyn, Alielys, Aliedyn, Alieryl

I don't think this is a good idea. The routes from Bree to Esteldin are more or less designed in such a way you have to go through the quest lines to get there. You start in Trestlebridge, and then work your way up. The towns and villages that are part of the landscape don't really need a swift travel, as they are so close already (e.g. Othrikar, Meluinen, etc). I'm pretty sure it takes UNDER 1 minute to reach either zone. I don't think any of those locations really are in need of a swift travel.

If any swift travel is to be added to that area, it would be just one: From Esteldin to Aughaire, once discovered of course.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Speaking of travel, I just wish they would put a road off the main throughfare up to the town of Stoneheight.

I mean seriously, it is an active town larger than Trestlebridge, yet there is only a small, hidden, half-length footpath that just trails away from it to nowhere. The city is better hidden than Esteldin!

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    I don't think this is a good idea. The routes from Bree to Esteldin are more or less designed in such a way you have to go through the quest lines to get there. You start in Trestlebridge, and then work your way up. The towns and villages that are part of the landscape don't really need a swift travel, as they are so close already (e.g. Othrikar, Meluinen, etc). I'm pretty sure it takes UNDER 1 minute to reach either zone. I don't think any of those locations really are in need of a swift travel.

If any swift travel is to be added to that area, it would be just one: From Esteldin to Aughaire, once discovered of course.
    You even can run to Esteldin from Bree on very early level and not die - you barely face any danger on you way if you follow roads

I love the North Downs revamp (years ago). Super fun area to complete... maybe save for the worm weirdness that doesn’t start the slayer deed until you slay one up north (as opposed to the Fornost Fields worms). I have pushed some dozen characters through there and love the pace. Lack of swift travel does not strike me as a priority issue.

Also if Esteldin is so "secret" then how come we already have swift travel to it
    It's always bugged me that a 'secret' hideout was so visually apparent when you were in the area, like, it's not even tucked behind a hill or anything. The biggest mistake though is that there's a road right to it. That road should just be grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Feirlain View Post
    Speaking of travel, I just wish they would put a road off the main throughfare up to the town of Stoneheight.
    And that's a result of the town not being in the original zone design, having been slapped up there for the In Their Absence quest series much later on.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Pretty much most SoA zones after Bree-Land are total garbage..........sorry not sorry. Probably some of the most boring leveling in the game.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Pretty much most SoA zones after Bree-Land are total garbage..........sorry not sorry. Probably some of the most boring leveling in the game.
    I strongly disagree. After Bree-Land and up to the gates of Moria I simply enjoy every minute of questing and leveling. Lone Lands, North Downs, Trollshaws, Everswim, Misty Mountains etc, (maybe not Angmar, not back in the old days anyway). The Shire and Moria I don't like so much either (moria is better now after radiance was removed many many years ago, and instances rewards got barterable for instance coin currency rather than roll on drops, but before that when it was originally released it was a nightmare and so tideous in my opinion). I also enjoy Dunland, Rohan areas and alot of the areas after Moria leading up to Mordor. Mordor and now Minas Morgul however are competing about being my least liked zone. Questing in Mordor Besieged was ok and even fun at times. Minas Morgul so boring. The surrounding area in Morgul Vale was Ok'ish (the really bad thjing about minas morgul has more to do with end-game, time invested vs reward etc), not so much to do with the questing. Some of my favourite zones since SoA days was defiently Iron Hills and Ered Mithrin. Even Ered Mithrins end-game was really good and fun to play, yes even after many times (well maybe not the daily/weekly resource insatnces as those got old really fast, simply as they requred 20 quest to be completed), so was Vales of Anduin (their daily open instances were perfect). Simply due to invested effort and time vs reward. I think that system was perfectly balanced in those areas and You felt that You were rewarded not too much but also not too little. At least I know I did, my son as well, along with many friends. It was a joyful time in LoTRO for us (my son, me and friends).

However that being said, You are of course entitled to Your opinion about SoA areas. Taste is very personal/subjective and there is no right or wrong in taste, just personal preference.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Jan 14 2020 at 07:19 AM.

Whaat?? Mordor is the worst questing area in game including Minas Morgul regions.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    Whaat?? Mordor is the worst questing area in game including Minas Morgul regions.
    I love the North Downs. Only change I'd make is to add another group of quests - a 4th reward tier.

I also love Moria. It's its own mini game. If anything the Epic questline in Moria could use some revamping but I'm not holding my breath

My opinion differs from yours.

This game has quite a bit wrong with it at the moment IMO, but it has a ton that is good with it. Eriador, Rhovanion, being some of the very best.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Thymir View Post
    ... Possibly the only route I'd add is a swift travel option between esteldin and treslebridge. ...
    Same.

Once you've cleared most of the quests, the epics still make you bounce back and forth too much... including that awful moment when Halbarad teleports you to Trestlebridge and then abandons you there with his "I'm going to swift travel back to Esteldin, but I'll leave these heroes here with you for no reason. Bye!"

North Downs is a nice area and good for questing. Very varied. They could use a slow route at least to the camp outside of Fornost.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Amon Raith pretty much overlooks the gates at Fornost, they have a stable.

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyGreene View Post
    Amon Raith pretty much overlooks the gates at Fornost, they have a stable.
    There is a camp inside the ruins. Yeah, a stable route there would be nice.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.