We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question How do I download LOTRO when my Mac is Catalina? How do I work around it? I'm new to the Mac OS

I've been trying to download LOTRO on my Mac, but nothing seems to be happening. My Mac has the Catalina update and from what I've read in the forums, "LOTRO will no longer be supported on Mac OS Catalina". I've really enjoyed LOTRO and it would really be a shame if I have to quit playing due to this update. Is there a way I can work around the update? I'm really new to the Mac OS, hence why it's even more confusing to me. Could I somehow download a later volume of the Mac OS to be able to run the launcher for LOTRO? I'm really not that great at the tech-y sort of things and the information online is a bit difficult to follow.

How can I work around this new update? Or if not, do you know when WINE will support 64bit?

LOTRO is the only game I play, I wouldn't want to let it go...

(P.S Please excuse my username... I made it a long time ago haha)

The short answer is that Wine *does* support 64-bit and has for years. The problem is that 64 bit applications in the Windows world often have some 32-bit code, and that is what "broke" Wine in Catalina. So it became necessary to somehow "intercept" those 32-bit library calls and "translate" them into 64 bit code, something that was never necessary for Windows, Mac or Linux until Apple proactively decided to break 32-bit code in Catalina.

At some point, Wine (which is the software Mac and Linux use to run Windows software) will likely be updated to allow this. The code exists -- only last month, Codeweavers, a company that produces commercial solutions for running Windows titles on Mac and Linux), released an update of their software (Crossover) that will allow a Wine-like launcher to run 32-bit Windows code in Catalina. And since Codeweavers are the folks who provide much of the Wine code for future releases, at some point in the future it may get there. But there is no way to tell a timetable.

The new release of Crossover, version 19, DOES WORK running LOTRO in Catalina. I've written about it in other recent threads in this subforum, so I won't bore everyone with the gory details again. It costs US$40 for a single version. A year's subscription is US$60 and includes support and any future new versions in that year. (Note that they often have 35-40% off sales, and renewals are typically heavily discounted as well.) But if you are not sure, here is what I would try, since you already have Catalina installed:

1. Download and install Crossover 19 from Codeweavers. (It is free and fully functional for 14 days to evaluate.)

2. Download the LOTRO Windows installer and use it in Crossover to install LOTRO in a Crossover "bottle". Open a .exe file in Crossover and it knows what to do with it.

3. When the install is complete, hopefully the launcher will fire up and download the game, install it and do all that iteration stuff. When that is done and you are logging in, if it asks you, DO NOT USE DirectX 10 if prompted, this is important!!

[If someone is reading who is still on Mojave or earlier, I'd do the above, but I would clone my boot drive first, upgrade the cloned drive to Catalina and do all of the above on the cloned drive in order to test it out before committing anything on your primary boot volume.]

Hopefully, that will work. Again, you have 14 days to play with Crossover for free. If it works well, you may choose to buy the software (again, often they have discount codes that can be used and some web sites maintain a list of them that sometimes still work). I have it running just fine on Catalina since I already owned Crossover, except that I struggled with the DirectX thing (learn from my painful experience, "just say no" to DX10).

And finally, unless someone who is still running Mojave has a need or strong desire to run Catalina, Mojave will be fully supported for what, another 2+ years? So if you are content running Mojave and don't want to buy more software, you have lots of time to see if SSG will produce something that will avoid the need for all this. But for those with a new Mac that came with Catalina, if you don't want to wait for SSG to fix it (if they do), Crossover is currently the only option I'm aware of.
    Last edited by ziggy29; Jan 03 2020 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

1. Download and install Crossover 19 from Codeweavers. (It is free and fully functional for 14 days to evaluate.)

2. Download the LOTRO Windows installer and use it in Crossover to install LOTRO in a Crossover "bottle". Open a .exe file in Crossover and it knows what to do with it.

3. When the install is complete, hopefully the launcher will fire up and download the game, install it and do all that iteration stuff. When that is done and you are logging in, if it asks you, DO NOT USE DirectX 10 if prompted, this is important!!
    Followed these steps, thanks Ziggy. Through Crossover 19 I installed the Windows version, downloaded the game. I can open the launcher, enter my password, click my world, and then the launcher quits like it's going to boot up the game but the game never shows. Huge bummer. Really hope SSG is working on a Mac client for Catalina

Quote Originally Posted by Brennun View Post
    Followed these steps, thanks Ziggy. Through Crossover 19 I installed the Windows version, downloaded the game. I can open the launcher, enter my password, click my world, and then the launcher quits like it's going to boot up the game but the game never shows. Huge bummer. Really hope SSG is working on a Mac client for Catalina
    Agreed, thanks for the help on getting it this far Ziggy! Brennun, I had the same thing happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jds View Post
    Agreed, thanks for the help on getting it this far Ziggy! Brennun, I had the same thing happen.
    You're welcome, but sorry it's not working for you. That said, what y'all are describing is the same thing it was doing for me when I elected to use DX10 at the prompt or at the options menu. Maybe you have not specifically selected it, but maybe for some reason, your system (unlike mine) is trying to use DX10? I don't know. When the launcher asked you if you wanted to install DX 9.0c components, did you say "yes"? Beyond that, I don't really have a lot of suggestions unless there is some hidden command line argument to the launcher which explicitly says to use DX9.

[EDIT -- one more thing. I'd recommend installing Crossover with antivirus disabled, since there are some known 'false positives' with it because antivirus is not used to seeing some of what it does.]
    Last edited by ziggy29; Jan 05 2020 at 03:37 PM.

but maybe for some reason, your system (unlike mine) is trying to use DX10? I don't know. When the launcher asked you if you wanted to install DX 9.0c components, did you say "yes"? Beyond that, I don't really have a lot of suggestions unless there is some hidden command line argument to the launcher which explicitly says to use DX9.
    Yup, said yes when it asked to install DX9.

After clicking play it gives me this message: "DirectX hardware detected [135] [134] We detect that this machine is capable of running in DirectX 10 Graphics mode. Would you like to enable DirectX 10 Graphics? You can disable this in the Graphics Options whenever you'd like should you find any problems. [134] Yes/No"

I click no, and nothing.

One thing I've tried is going in to edit UserPreferences.ini, making sure that under [Render], it says "GraphicsCore=D3D9" and "D3DVersionPromptedForAtStartu p=9" but still nothing.

I'll see if re-installing Crossover works.
    Last edited by Brennun; Jan 05 2020 at 06:48 PM.

Interesting. I was prompted about DX10, not DX11. But mine is an older Machine (2012 Mini), so maybe that is why. And I wonder if that could be part of it. If it's prompting you about DX11, maybe it's trying to run in DX10? And if so, unless there's some setting in a .ini file or some undocumented command line switch to pass to the launcher, I'm not sure....

Anyway, here's the [Render] part of my UserPreferences.ini:

[Render]
    AllowGammaChanges=True
    AlphaToCoverage=False
    AmbientLightBoost=0.56
    AmbientOcclusion=False
    AnisotropicQuality=4
    AspectRatio=Auto
    AtmosphericsDetail=Medium
    BlobShadows=True
    BloomIntensity=1.00
    BlurFilterQuality=Medium
    Brightness=1.00
    Contrast=1.00
    D3DVersionPromptedForAtStartup =10
    DisplayAdapter=0
    DistantImposters=True
    DynamicParticles=All
    EnablePortraits=True
    EnvironmentStencilShadows=Fals e
    FarLandscapeNormalMaps=False
    FrillDensity=0.44
    FrillDistance=Medium
    Gamma=1.00
    GlowMapping=False
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    HavePromptedForD3D10AtStartup= False
    InteractiveWater=Low
    LandscapeDrawDistance=Medium
    LandscapeLightingQuality=Low
    LandscapeShoreEffects=Low
    LandscapeStaticObjectShadows=L ow
    MaterialDetail=High
    MaxHardwareClass=0
    MeasuredFillRate=0.10
    MemoryUsage=0.30
    MeshCombining=True
    ModelDetail=Medium
    MultiPassLighting=False
    ObjectDrawDistance=High
    OverbrightBloomFilter=False
    PlayerCrowdQuality=0.84
    PrecipitationEffects=True
    ShadowMapQuality=0
    SpecularLighting=False
    StaticEnvironmentalObjects=Tru e
    StencilShadows=Disabled
    SurfaceReflections=Low
    TextureDetail=High
    TextureFiltering=Bilinear
    VideoPostEffects=True
    VolumetricLight=False
    Last edited by ziggy29; Jan 05 2020 at 05:49 PM.

Ugh no the prompt is for DX10, just a typo on my part. Edited the post above to reflect it says DX10 not 11.

It's interesting that your D3DVersionPromptedForAtStartup =10, which appears to bypass the "DirectX hardware detected [135] [134]" message

The short answer is that Wine *does* support 64-bit and has for years. The problem is that 64 bit applications in the Windows world often have some 32-bit code, and that is what "broke" Wine in Catalina. So it became necessary to somehow "intercept" those 32-bit library calls and "translate" them into 64 bit code, something that was never necessary for Windows, Mac or Linux until Apple proactively decided to break 32-bit code in Catalina.

At some point, Wine (which is the software Mac and Linux use to run Windows software) will likely be updated to allow this. The code exists -- only last month, Codeweavers, a company that produces commercial solutions for running Windows titles on Mac and Linux), released an update of their software (Crossover) that will allow a Wine-like launcher to run 32-bit Windows code in Catalina. And since Codeweavers are the folks who provide much of the Wine code for future releases, at some point in the future it may get there. But there is no way to tell a timetable.

The new release of Crossover, version 19, DOES WORK running LOTRO in Catalina. I've written about it in other recent threads in this subforum, so I won't bore everyone with the gory details again. It costs US$40 for a single version. A year's subscription is US$60 and includes support and any future new versions in that year. (Note that they often have 35-40% off sales, and renewals are typically heavily discounted as well.) But if you are not sure, here is what I would try, since you already have Catalina installed:

[If someone is reading who is still on Mojave or earlier, I'd do the above, but I would clone my boot drive first, upgrade the cloned drive to Catalina and do all of the above on the cloned drive in order to test it out before committing anything on your primary boot volume.]

Hopefully, that will work. Again, you have 14 days to play with Crossover for free. If it works well, you may choose to buy the software (again, often they have discount codes that can be used and some web sites maintain a list of them that sometimes still work). I have it running just fine on Catalina since I already owned Crossover, except that I struggled with the DirectX thing (learn from my painful experience, "just say no" to DX10).

And finally, unless someone who is still running Mojave has a need or strong desire to run Catalina, Mojave will be fully supported for what, another 2+ years? So if you are content running Mojave and don't want to buy more software, you have lots of time to see if SSG will produce something that will avoid the need for all this. But for those with a new Mac that came with Catalina, if you don't want to wait for SSG to fix it (if they do), Crossover is currently the only option I'm aware of.
    This might be a solution. I was able to install lotro using Crossover under Catalina.

However I'm getting a "There was an error generating the hash code for a patch file" error before I'm even able to log in. It looks like something is blocking the connection but I was unable to fix this using any suggestions from older threads.

Does someone know how to solve this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirnelviel View Post
    This might be a solution. I was able to install lotro using Crossover under Catalina.

However I'm getting a "There was an error generating the hash code for a patch file" error before I'm even able to log in. It looks like something is blocking the connection but I was unable to fix this using any suggestions from older threads.

Does someone know how to solve this issue?
    I tried an it doesn't work!

I finally got it working today, after many failed attempts and much sleuthing. I'm not a computer person and I don't know how to explain what was going wrong, but I'll run through the steps that finally led to success in case it helps anyone else. I'm on a 2016 Macbook Pro running Catalina.

First, I had already installed the trial version of Crossover and downloaded the most recent LOTRO installer for Windows (lotrolive.exe).

I also read in other people's comments (on this forum and Crossover's forum) that they had to decrease the display resolution of their computer. I didn't use the EasyRes app; I just used system prefs to set the display as low as it would go (1024x640). Other people have reported success with 1280x720 but that's not available on my laptop.

In Crossover, I clicked "Install New Application". In the "Select Application" window, I typed in Lord of the Rings Online and chose the "unlisted application" option from the dropdown menu. Previously it seemed like I was supposed to install PyLotro but that never worked, so I didn't bother this time.

In the "Select Installer" tab, I chose the lotrolive.exe file.

In the "Select Bottle" tab, I chose a 64-bit bottle. I don't know if there's a difference but I happened to choose "New Windows 10 64-bit Bottle". By default, Crossover had selected "New Windows 7 Bottle"; not 64-bit, and I wonder if that was a problem before.

Then the program proceeded to install like normal, and download all the things. I logged in, selected my server, and hit Play.

It asked if I wanted to use DX10 graphics or whatever and I said no, having read that it caused problems.

[Note for later: I did not download the hi-res data files at this time, but you probably should, if you normally do. See third update at the bottom]

At this point, if I hadn't lowered my computer's resolution, the game would have quit itself abruptly. That happened many times before. But because I did lower the resolution, I got the full black screen (which someone else also reported). So I figured this is good! This is progress!

The touch bar on my laptop indicated that a dialog window was open, even though I couldn't see it. It gave me options to "Cancel" or "Move to trash". I moved everything to trash until the dialogs stopped coming. Then I had to force quit the program and look in my trash to see what I was discarding, haha. For me, it was just a bunch of fonts that I had downloaded from the internet or received through gmail for film projects. I trashed them all because I don't care about them anymore.

I did that process (launch, trash stuff, force quit, relaunch) 10-15 times to get ALL the font files it was trying to discard, because it only did a few at a time.

When it had nothing more to discard, I launched it once more, got the black screen, but THIS TIME........ guys, this time, IT OPENED! It played through the opening movie and went to the character screen. I entered the game and it ran just like normal, but everything was overly large because of the screen resolution. I quit the program.

Now when I looked in the User Preferences.ini file, a lot more text had been generated and I had the opportunity to change the screen mode to windowed (ScreenMode=Windowed) instead of full screen (I did this based on someone's advice but in retrospect, I think I could have also done it from within the game). Saved the doc, set my computer's resolution back to its default, and launched the program again. It opened in a window, and from that window I was able to change the game's display options. I set the full screen resolution at exactly my computer's resolution, 1680x1050 (maybe they don't have to match but I wasn't experimenting at this point) and changed the screen mode to Full Screen. Entered the game again and ran around a little to check it.

Now it opens and runs just fine every time.

I haven't played for hours to test its reliability yet. One glitchy thing I do notice is if I minimize the full-screen game window, it freezes when I try to open it again, so I won't be doing that anymore.

Good luck and I hope this helps some people!

--- UPDATE ---

I just installed it on my iMac, also on Catalina. I used the same process and ran into a different but similar obstacle.

Everything had installed, my resolution was lowered (this time to 1280x720, that's the lowest on this computer), said no to DX10, logged in and hit "Play", and got the black screen. Because I don't have a touchpad on this computer, I couldn't tell at all that there was a dialog box but I knew there must have been. I force quit, and this time the dialog box that remained on screen said:

"8ad0401blah blah blah, it's a long name and I can't copy/paste.asset" cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

This is precisely the problem that LightGatherer ran into in the other thread here, "Catalina Public Test OS -- wine64 client". The item can't be deleted and even if I hit cancel, I get the same dialog box next time. This asset is located in a Library folder called com_apple_MobileAsset_Font6, as LightGatherer pointed out. A google search for information about the folder returned this Apple thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250835565

Let me reiterate here, I am not a computer person! I know you're not supposed to mess around in the Libary of your OS. But here's what I can deduce, and what makes sense to me: since these fonts are apparently optional, and since they do not exist at all in the same file path of my laptop and my laptop functions just fine, I assume they are not essential. I navigated through the folders to each individual font (there were 49 of them), double clicked it to open it in Fontbook, and right-click + removed them. They turned grey in Fontbook and according to the Apple forum post, that means they can be re-downloaded later if necessary (leave the XML file alone).

Once all of those fonts were out of the way, LOTRO gave me one more guff again about a font I had downloaded from the internet. I don't care. I deleted it. WHATS ALL THIS NONSENSE WITH FONTS?!

After one more relaunch it opened and ran.

This time I changed the game display options to "Windowed" from within the game, then I was able to return my computer's resolution to normal (this prompted a dialog box asking me to permit LOTRO to access my computer's accessibility features, which I did in system prefs), set the game's full resolution to the same as my computer, and then set the screen mode back to full. Ran around a little, quit the program, launched it again to check. I was prompted to give LOTRO access to my microphone which I declined, and this caused the program to stall on the black screen, but another quit + relaunch and it was back to normal. I entered Middle Earth, smoked some pipeweed, all seems to be in order (except that my house was foreclosed on just 10 days ago! Wish I had figured it out sooner).

Geez.

Hope this helps.

--- UPDATE again ---

I did not download the hi-res data files before, on either computer. I tried to download them now on the iMac. It seemed like it worked, but when I tried to play I got a message on a black screen, "Error: Cannot patch!". I'm uninstalling the whole program, will reinstall with the hi-res data files downloaded, and see if it changes functionality.

Confirmed, it broke the software on both computers. A full re-install, downloading the hi-res data files up front, worked fine. I'm currently playing on the iMac.
    Last edited by gamma_ray; Mar 29 2020 at 03:25 AM.

I've tried to get Lotro work on my Mac for a week already...

I tried Parallels. No luck. The game crashed before it opened.
    I tried Crossover. No luck. I couldn't get past the C++ installation for some reason.

Then I decided to try Mac Bootcamp. Got it working with no problems at all. Game runs better than never before. Try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Loriedor View Post
    I've tried to get Lotro work on my Mac for a week already...

I tried Parallels. No luck. The game crashed before it opened.
    I tried Crossover. No luck. I couldn't get past the C++ installation for some reason.

Then I decided to try Mac Bootcamp. Got it working with no problems at all. Game runs better than never before. Try it!
    I'm going to go one step further with this suggestion: Instead of installing Bootcamp -- which will require purchasing a Windows license to install Windows with AND mean running a completely different OS on that partition -- if you have the drive space to support carving out a separate boot partition, just make it a regular Mac file system partition and install Mac OS 10.14.x (Mojave) on it.

Then, boot into that startup disk and install the LOTRO Mac client on that.

While just like with Bootcamp this will still require restarting to switch drives, this is much simpler, doesn't require purchasing an OS license, and will be much more seamless since you'll still be able to access data on both partitions (mounted as drives from the perspective of the other startup drive) without any conversion issues.

Here are a couple of links for how to setup a second boot partition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3R2xTPLhgc
    https://www.imore.com/how-to-partition-your-mac

and here is a link that describes how to get ahold of older Mac OS versions:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...-os-x-3629363/

If you don't absolutely HAVE to run Catalina, just stay with Mojave. It is still going to be supported by Apple for a year or two and works fine. Wait until LOTRO finally is completely ported over to Catalina before you jump.

But if you HAVE to run Catalina, just consider doing a dual-boot situation -- only don't waste your time using Bootcamp. Just make it a 2nd Mac OS install.
    Pew! Pew! Pew!

Glad I found this thread. I'm just starting after having dabbled a little years ago so might as well be a newb. Many years in WoW but haven't done that in some time.

Anyways although I have a bootcamp drive to place windows games I wanted to keep LOTR on the Mac. Thanks to this thread and CrossOver I can and oddly the graphics seem sharper.
    I also found I don't have to reduce my resolution. Now on to learning the game!

Angry Lovely web page

Now they even have a lovely (if blank) web page called MacOS Catalina Compatability. I'm pretty pissed. 13 years+ (started in beta). I'm a die-hard Mac guy. SSG wants me to handicap the rest of my computing experience by not installing Catalina. They are a bunch of selfish rhymes-with-bricks. Fix this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Calblack View Post
    Now they even have a lovely (if blank) web page called MacOS Catalina Compatability. I'm pretty pissed. 13 years+ (started in beta). I'm a die-hard Mac guy. SSG wants me to handicap the rest of my computing experience by not installing Catalina. They are a bunch of selfish rhymes-with-bricks. Fix this now.
    The web page you describe links to this forum post. How is Apple removing compatibility for 32-bit applications in any way the fault of "selfish" SSG? Lol some people

Quote Originally Posted by Morellian View Post
    The web page you describe links to this forum post. How is Apple removing compatibility for 32-bit applications in any way the fault of "selfish" SSG? Lol some people
    While I won't say they are selfish, but as a software developer who wants to make money, it's usually a good idea to continue supporting your product on as many platforms as possible. Obviously, the cost to support/build a 64bit client for macOS may be too high given the small amount of us on it.