We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

12/12 Patch killed the game startup --- logs hidden away that might give you a clue

C:\Documents and Settings\userx\Local Settings\Application Data\The Lord of the Rings Online (this is an XP machine)

has LOG (.log) files for various startup programs being run ( ie- the launcher patchclient awesomium etc... )

TTEPatchClient.log is the last being created (after clearing the .log files in the directory and attempting to run again) ...(it gets that far repeatedly trying to start the game which list idle with the LotroLauncher idle with no window startting)

all the LotroLauncher.log file has in it is a single line :

---
    2019.12.14 15:46:15[W] Data Center URL: QUrl( "http://moria.gls.lotro.com/GLS.DataCenterServer/Service.asmx" )
    ---

I would expect there to be MORE step by step logging (the patch logs had more themselves but repeating startup just says various files are patched)

It gives no clue as to what the problem is or what was being attempted or any error response

IF it was working there would be an lotroclient_awesomium.log (seen from a 12/11 run before the patch) but NO FILE is created so seems to not get that far in the startup sequence.

----

SO AGAIN I ASK WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET THIS WORKING AGAIN ??? (third day and no forum answer from the company people I had to go find these liog files myself)

LOTRO should have a separate (simple to use) REPAIR program that walks thru the required files and processes and confirms the installation

This would save the company support money $$$$$$$ --- to have a quick goto program to do this (and have it as an COMPANY INTERNAL installation test program to verify patches - It doesn't have to be elegant.)

Quote Originally Posted by vladtheimplementor View Post
    C:\Documents and Settings\userx\Local Settings\Application Data\The Lord of the Rings Online (this is an XP machine)
    A repair program wouldn't help when you are not running a supported operating system. Minimum requirements is Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

Quote Originally Posted by vladtheimplementor View Post
    (third day and no forum answer from the company people I had to go find these liog files myself)
    You won't get a staff answer to individual issues in the forum, they only do that on issues affecting a lot of people. Filing a ticket is the way to go.
    But oldsneakers is right, WinXP isn't supported anymore at several levels, so it is doubtful that they will be able to help you.

(Actually, hooking that rig onto the internet is taking a risk. Seriously consider upgrading)

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    You won't get a staff answer to individual issues in the forum, they only do that on issues affecting a lot of people. Filing a ticket is the way to go.
    But oldsneakers is right, WinXP isn't supported anymore at several levels, so it is doubtful that they will be able to help you.

(Actually, hooking that rig onto the internet is taking a risk. Seriously consider upgrading)
    ----

Sorry silent termination/abort is a Programming 101 kind of no-no thing (that's the case here ) -- proper logging is a really basic thing, even with multiple programs interacting .

Installation/Patch Repair Program - Its something that should have been done 10 years ago by a competent engineer - its not that hard and would have saved them (the company) tons of money $$$$$ in customer support team labor costs and bad PR. Its not that difficult to implement - just require a good checklist of the client installation set specs done by a from a knowledgeable/competant designer (for all the various flavors) and an Intern to script it/maintain it properly. Step by step, the USER could then (OBVIOUSLY) figure out what is wrong/missing, so it can be quickly fixed (fixes then can still be done manually ... delete this/these files, rerun this interface and re-specify options, etc...). It has to be done systematically.

But now that the customers are dwindling away, its pointless/unneeded (as seen by the current/last several managements apparently ).

Hey, Win 7 now (or soon) wont be supported any more --- So how many LOTRO users there ?? (Remember XP might be a minority demographic across the whole computer world, but for games and particularly old MMORPG game it is far higher.)

For myself, I still use XP because I have $20000+ dollars worth of software tools I don't want to have to replace everytime Microsoft wants to screw their customers (again).

And if you think you are any less exposed to hacking and malware/abuse (even from the legit companies) with your latest OS, then you are fooling yourself.
    Last edited by vladtheimplementor; Dec 15 2019 at 10:19 AM.