We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

My opinion - why buying Minas Morgul right now is not a good decision and why this should change in the future

Hello, first of all, I must say that this is my opinion and you can disagree and it's okay. After saying this, I must remark that I HAVE NOT bought the Minas Morgul expansion, because I'm waiting for march to buy with LPs, and considering the state of the expansion right now, I want to say a few problems that make me even more to wait for march. I must also say that this didn't happen to me with Mordor. I waited to get Mordor for LPs too, but I was dissappointed and sad I could not play it in summer, and when I finally tried Mordor, I loved it so much that over the course of the years I've done it with 6 characters and I wished I had paid real money for this, because it deserved it. After reading this, let me say the differences between the Mordor expansion and the Minas Morgul expansion that are making me not wanting to pay real money for Minas Morgul even if I was rich:

- Sigils are useless and there is an account-wide cap of 999. With Mordor, the thandrims were account-wide but the cap is *unlimited*, or at least it seems so, because I have over 2k (maybe the cap is 9999?)
    - Purple essences require solvent and rare shard. With Mordor, purple essences didn't cost any solvent. I still craft Mordor essences for alts even if they are 120+ because that is better than nothing (sorry, I don't support the essence p2w, I'll never pay nor LP nor gold for a solvent, I'd rather farm the embers for 1 character and be done with it)
    - The Reclamation grind seems to be a bit useless, since no good rewards in higher tiers. With Mordor, this looks a bit similar to Allegiances, so I'll compare it with them. Allegiances were a cool add and I must say that I did the Mordor dailies so much that even my chars who never crossed the Black Gate have their allegiances maxed
    - The *sigils for embers* quest seems to be gated behind the Reclamation grind, and only gives 500 embers, while in Mithrin+Vales it was always a total of 1000. I think in Minas Morgul you can get around 2500 embers per week (can't confirm), it's fine if we compare the mote rating in Mordor (200 motes per day=1400 per week), but it's not as good as the combo of Mithrin+Vales
    - Green gear came since Mithrin with the only purpose to increase the grind. Never before we were using green gear/essences, they were vendor thrash
    - I heard the Mordor Besieged faction doesn't even have a reputation NPC to barter stuff (anyone can confirm if this is true?)
    - Instances: Seregost was a fun instance with very good loot. I wonder about the loot of the new instances, but I'm pretty sure that they can't be compared (anyone can confirm this?)

Maybe I could continue, but for now I have no much more info, I think. All these limitations are only making me happy that I'll be waiting for march, when the expansion is more polished and maybe some good stuff is added to the barters. Even some basic gear like in Vales would be cool. Meanwhile, you are punishing all the people who bought it, many buying the ultimate, with these absurd locks/caps etc

Again, my opinion, you can disagree. I repent not having payed money for Mordor, it deserved it. I wouldn't waste a cent in this Minas Morgul expansion, at least in the state it is right now. I hope a bluename reads this and maybe in the future they can think twice the decisions they make.
    Anamura, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Sunnarea, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh

This really applies to all Mmo expansions, even in the more popular Mmos. Since mmo's are always changing and evolving, expansions are usually better/more fleshed out 6+ months later than they are at launch. So sometimes you can get the "was it worth it" feeling early on. Happened for a lot of people in WoW BfA. No real way to avoid it.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and yours is perhaps accurate.
    However, as with everything this game has offered, there is a release and there is the continued development of the release. There have been so many, many changes in mechanics and character builds that I wonder if it is even possible to release a polished expansion in lotro. Yet...

Buying content is key to generating revenue which in turn provides better development. This game has always worked to improve on a release. Maybe more testing would help, but I have come to expect a release and then the subsequent development.
    But I read in your post that you are focused on grinding the end game instances and the loot thereof. When I stopped worrying about the LI grind (I have rarely dedicated much time to using scrolls and embers and widgets and sparkles for LIs) a couple of years ago, the game became much more pleasant. For landscape quests and the Black Books and the Epic Quests, crafted gear and weapons have always been enough. Even pleasantly challenging.

For those who are not laser focused on raiding and using hundreds of things on a weapon, this expansion has given more amazing landscapes and quests.

If you don't buy, don't complain too loudly. You are sitting back and waiting while the staff continue to try to present something acceptable to you. Then you will use in-game monetization you got for free. And if you purchased points, was it that much cheaper than simply buying the expansion? With lots of alts I assume they were collected for free. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Your call, but starting a thread to not buy an expansion because a tiny fraction of the entire game is not meeting your expectations is a bit, well, only telling part of a story to those who want to continue the journey in Middle Earth.

...plink, plink.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidster View Post

Your call, but starting a thread to not buy an expansion because a tiny fraction of the entire game is not meeting your expectations is a bit, well, only telling part of a story to those who want to continue the journey in Middle Earth.

...plink, plink.
    This is not made to discourage people to not buy the expansion, but to take the devs attention about what things they should improve to make it more worthy.

Even with just the sigils utility and removal of the cap and the loot from instances would be a good step.
    Anamura, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Sunnarea, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf21x View Post
    This really applies to all Mmo expansions, even in the more popular Mmos. Since mmo's are always changing and evolving, expansions are usually better/more fleshed out 6+ months later than they are at launch. So sometimes you can get the "was it worth it" feeling early on. Happened for a lot of people in WoW BfA. No real way to avoid it.
    WoW BfA also had landscape currency cap, and landscape currency being totally useless, for example? Just asking

The Mordor instance cluster was ####, Minas Morgul is definitely better so far in that regard. Seregost was ok, sure but running it a million times got old and Naerband is literally the worst instance they have ever made.
    Nanci - 115 Captain / Hirandiel - 115 Hunter / Hildimar - 115 Minstrel - "Weekend at Bill Ferny's" - Arkenstone (formerly of Windfola)
    Nimgarthiel - 75 Captain / Gliriel - 50 Minstrel / Hereniel - 25 Hunter - "Succulent Meats" - Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Hirandiel View Post
    The Mordor instance cluster was ####, Minas Morgul is definitely better so far in that regard. Seregost was ok, sure but running it a million times got old and Naerband is literally the worst instance they have ever made.
    Obviously Morgul cluster is far better, they have made more instances and I tested them in beta and they were okaish (I hated Filth as everyone seems to do lol). But my question regarding instances is not about that.

New instances have the same drop rate of LI empos/crystals/remembrances as Seregost had? Or they are the same as with Mithrin instances (you are lucky if you get 1 empo)? Are they also bound to account (happened with Mithrin, those empos were BtA, unlike the ones from boxruns)?

Yes, the SoEs are bound (which sucks) but you also seem to be looking back at Seregost through rose colored glasses. The loot wasn't really that great. Before they introduced locks on the chests you could just run it over and over again for scrolls and whatnot, but it was also the only thing to do since out of the two non raid instances the other option was a buggy and tedious 6 man. I've bought the "ultimate sucker" bundles for both expansions and IMO Minas Morgul is the better of the two. Mordor sucked on many levels, especially in terms of the instance cluster and the landscape questing. Minas Morgul's issues from my perspective are a little more trivial, like the currency cap for something that doesn't have anything worthwhile to spend it on, no Great Alliance rep, gating crafting recipes behind a separate (kinda grindy) rep.
    Nanci - 115 Captain / Hirandiel - 115 Hunter / Hildimar - 115 Minstrel - "Weekend at Bill Ferny's" - Arkenstone (formerly of Windfola)
    Nimgarthiel - 75 Captain / Gliriel - 50 Minstrel / Hereniel - 25 Hunter - "Succulent Meats" - Arkenstone

Very thoughtful feedback. Thanks for sharing.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    My completely amateurish often-LotRO Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/moondog548

I agree with the OP, except for different reasons. This is the first "pre-order" I bought in an MMO and the last. For Mordor I waited till you could buy with LP and used my VIP allotment I had been saving to buy it once it was available for LPs. This time around I was excited about the stout axe and for Morgul. Let's just say I have buyers remorse.

1. The expansion from the get go has been super buggy. It should have been delayed and tested more before release.

2. The vendor for sigils is very limited and there is not much to spend them on overall.

3. Stout-axe is a HUGE disappointment. Unlike high-elf there are virtually no differences between regular dwarfs and stout-axes, save for some reskinning. The so called choice for male and female is just a box you tick at creation for the character. There are no visual differences and little vocal differences. In short, they look like a more burly version of regular dwarves. Not worth 1000LP.

4. Rep gated crafting recipes, yes we are going to give you new recipes but you have to grind like heck to get them.

5. New dailies area is horrible compared to Vales. Vales was pretty straight forward and decent to get through compared to the new area. Vales is now a motes vendor which takes away all incentive to do them.

These are the primary reasons I personally will not be pre-ordering anything in the future.

I'm gonna be the odd person, and say that I had no issue with paying real money for the xpac. It cost me $40, the same amount as dinner on a night out with the missus. For all it's faults, it's the only presently existring MMO that I've tried that doesn't bore me to tears.

And yes, I know it has flaws and is far from perfect.

I didn't buy the xpac this time around. Bought everyone up to this one. But the crafting update we were supposed to get with this xpac is just awful and down right pathetic. I and many of us were hoping for a really decent crafting update since they said they were doing one and even the producers letter mentioned that crafting was one thing they were working on this year. Boy did they miss the mark on that one and by light years, not inches or even feet. The crafting update is just so bad, I couldn't bring myself to pay real money for this xpac. And I won't either. They just don't deserve it. I wouldn't even care how many issues the update came with as I could work through them as they were fixed. But telling us they are doing a crafting overhaul/update and then gives us one of the worst updates for crafting ever just goes beyond words really. I believe this crafting update is so bad, someone should lose their job over it. And if this is all SSG is capable of, they don't deserve anyone's money.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidmeetHal View Post
    I'm gonna be the odd person, and say that I had no issue with paying real money for the xpac. It cost me $40, the same amount as dinner on a night out with the missus. For all it's faults, it's the only presently existring MMO that I've tried that doesn't bore me to tears.

And yes, I know it has flaws and is far from perfect.
    I agree with this post on all but one point.
    Its very unlikely I can get away with just spending $40 when having dinner with the missus.

I've spent (much) more than 40 hours on this expansion already.
    $1 an hour is a frugal entertainment cost and it is one I want to see continue, hence I'll continue to do my bit to keep them developing new content.
    -~-~ The Silverchairs of Crickhollow ~-~-
    -~-~
    Kurtric, Marcusson, Adelaidrien
    -~-~

I love the Mordor questing (except Udun at the start and the stupid flag quests), and don't get me wrong, I have been excited for Minas Morgul since South Ithilien, and I'm glad to see that the questing is cool, but the details I've pointed in the OP...

I plan to run 3 chars through this expansion - first problem, the sigil cap
    Empowerments in instances bound to account - second problem, I have not storage for bound items. I save my non-bound empowerments in a kinhouse chest from an alt
    Essences - third problem (for me), no "no solvent" essence available
    Crafting - fourth problem, use of the rare shards as in Mithrin for regular gear (I hated that), so I won't be crafting anything

And so on...

. - I heard the Mordor Besieged faction doesn't even have a reputation NPC to barter stuff (anyone can confirm if this is true?)
    True. Btw morgul also for nothing just trash + 1 cpet

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
    Obviously Morgul cluster is far better, they have made more instances and I tested them in beta and they were okaish (I hated Filth as everyone seems to do lol). But my question regarding instances is not about that.

New instances have the same drop rate of LI empos/crystals/remembrances as Seregost had? Or they are the same as with Mithrin instances (you are lucky if you get 1 empo)? Are they also bound to account (happened with Mithrin, those empos were BtA, unlike the ones from boxruns)?

Do not listen to them they fot money to write good thing about expansion xD

Li Item drop 1 / week / 1 person from fellow sometimes git scrool
    They lying about drop because it also drop exp rune with is oviously li Item also.

All presale paid for demo od an expansion
    We got 3 from 7 instances, no barter, and u know what the only reason why i bought it - lore - the Black book is free for all......

Quote Originally Posted by Morgahad View Post
    Do not listen to them they fot money to write good thing about expansion xD

Li Item drop 1 / week / 1 person from fellow sometimes git scrool
    They lying about drop because it also drop exp rune with is oviously li Item also.

All presale paid for demo od an expansion
    We got 3 from 7 instances, no barter, and u know what the only reason why i bought it - lore - the Black book is free for all......
    Some tips for you.

You can have li's item in :

- Quartermasters (Roving Threat reputationa and pvpm).
    - Relic-master for shard.
    - Epic quest.
    - MT daily quest.
    - Skirmish camp. You gain mark with playing all content in game.
    - Throne of the Dread Terror npc barter.
    - Featured Instance.
    - ingame store.

And all way i forgot.

I don't really understand complain about it after all.

True. Btw morgul also for nothing just trash + 1 cpet
    Short memory here. Since ssg era and specially mordor expansion we all know they added content like this update after update. Why do you complain about things you accepted in the past ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
    This is not made to discourage people to not buy the expansion, but to take the devs attention about what things they should improve to make it more worthy.

Even with just the sigils utility and removal of the cap and the loot from instances would be a good step.
    Dev and daybreak are reading purchases statistics and know what is working. They are lucky because they have a strong ip if they don't lotro would have known the same destiny as Wildstar (who is remember this bad game anymore ? )

Quote Originally Posted by jokor View Post
    Some tips for you.

You can have li's item in :

- Quartermasters (Roving Threat reputationa and pvpm).
    - Relic-master for shard.
    - Epic quest.
    - MT daily quest.
    - Skirmish camp. You gain mark with playing all content in game.
    - Throne of the Dread Terror npc barter.
    - Featured Instance.
    - ingame store.

And all way i forgot.

I don't really understand complain about it after all.
    And you will blow them for free if they just allow you...
    This is old content you may do west Gondor q as well, or just wear 95 li Item. Li lvl increase but byuing MM wont help u build it - another reason to not buying it

This is old content you may do west Gondor q as well, or just wear 95 li Item. Li lvl increase but byuing MM wont help u build it - another reason to not buying it
    Lol now that you say it, I support you. Buying Old Anorien and Far Anorien is more profitable for LI stuff than Minas Morgul... even only Far Anorien is already more profitable, and you can get it already

You are talking about the worst and the thougest way to get li's item in this list and ignore all other way. You're such an hypocrite.