We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

An Open Letter to Standing Stone Games.

I have been playing LOTRO on and off for over 10 years now and although I've had a break for the last few years, some friends and I were looking to come back and play. All three of us were getting the check dat file error. I tried it on 2 computers. I tried the Steam version and the web version, I deleted a million different combinations of files. I scoured the internet for all the different solutions and nothing worked. I went vastly over my internet cap which cost me a fair bit of money (I live in a third world country. i.e. Australia). I sent a ticket in, and I got a brief bit of help, basically telling me to delete all the .dat files (which I'd done a dozen times by them) and to perform a trace route. Since then it's been over a week and I've heard nothing back. My final solution I'm going to try is installing it on Linux when I get more data.

I really wanted to come back to LOTRO, this was a big part of my life and I was excited to see all the new content that had been released since I last played. Apparently SSG aren't interested though. This is three subscriptions they're missing out on. Imagine how many people don't even bother when they get the same problem. If I was looking at a new game I might try a few things, but I certainly wouldn't submit a ticket over it and spend whole days trying to get it going.

My friends have already moved on to another game, so it's too late now I guess. I might still log on if I ever get help to get it working, but I doubt I'll play long if my friends are playing something else.

Seriously SSG. Fix your game. This has been happening for years, back in the Turbine days and is apparently still happening. I'm not sure how popular or dead LOTRO is at the moment. But something like this surely isn't helping.

-Rosvodiz, Originally from Elendilmir
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001815e7/signature.png]Rosvodiz[/charsig]

Yeah lotro can have a few errors, however there's always a way to fix it all, but I don't know how, sometimes just deleting isn't enough hopefully someone who knows better can help, I recently installed lotro on a brand new PC with 0 issues.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

I've had no issues ever installing or updating myself. I never use the Steam client. This will sound like a broken record but

fully uninstall. once complete, Delete c:\users\profile\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\ folder. Up to you, i have no issues rebooting but please reboot to make sure there is no LotRO process left.
    Install the full Directx9.0c and guess what, Reboot!
    Run LotRO's setup and install it onto any other storage drive other than your C:\. Do not simply click next...next... etc.. Make sure you select any advanced or custom option and change your install location.
    http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.exe

You also might want to go into the win10 control panel, programs and features, Turn windows features on or off and make sure your .NET 3.51 is installed. There are newer versions of .NET out now and MS will stop including drivers and versions that are dated. I am zero sure if the .NET will help but it wouldn't hurt. DirectX9.0c is almost a must even though other versions are supported.

Give it a go!
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Cool

Try this...about 5 posts from the bottom I found what worked for me.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...art&highlight=

[edit] I'll just repost it:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...install/repair

Run that. Can't hurt (though no guarantees )
    Last edited by Occum; Dec 13 2019 at 08:19 PM.

DirectX
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Thanks for the replies, but I've tried all of them. Also it's not just me, this is four different computers we have tried here.

When I have got data again on my internet I'll try them all again though.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000001815e7/signature.png]Rosvodiz[/charsig]

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rosvodiz View Post
    I have been playing LOTRO on and off for over 10 years now and although I've had a break for the last few years, some friends and I were looking to come back and play. All three of us were getting the check dat file error. I tried it on 2 computers. I tried the Steam version and the web version, I deleted a million different combinations of files. I scoured the internet for all the different solutions and nothing worked. I went vastly over my internet cap which cost me a fair bit of money (I live in a third world country. i.e. Australia). I sent a ticket in, and I got a brief bit of help, basically telling me to delete all the .dat files (which I'd done a dozen times by them) and to perform a trace route. Since then it's been over a week and I've heard nothing back. My final solution I'm going to try is installing it on Linux when I get more data.

I really wanted to come back to LOTRO, this was a big part of my life and I was excited to see all the new content that had been released since I last played. Apparently SSG aren't interested though. This is three subscriptions they're missing out on. Imagine how many people don't even bother when they get the same problem. If I was looking at a new game I might try a few things, but I certainly wouldn't submit a ticket over it and spend whole days trying to get it going.

My friends have already moved on to another game, so it's too late now I guess. I might still log on if I ever get help to get it working, but I doubt I'll play long if my friends are playing something else.

Seriously SSG. Fix your game. This has been happening for years, back in the Turbine days and is apparently still happening. I'm not sure how popular or dead LOTRO is at the moment. But something like this surely isn't helping.

-Rosvodiz, Originally from Elendilmir
    Did You and Your friends follow this aweome guide before trying to install LoTRO ???

Link: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

There are issues with Windows 10, not only DirectX 12 not being fully backwards compatible, but other resources needed too. Older files that don't come with Windows 10 by default unfortionetly.

That Guide needs to be followed in it's exact order, step by step before installing LOTRO.

One issue that I noticed tonight was that 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable' has been removed by Microsoft now and only leads to a dead link/page. However sometimes it could ahve been installed on Your system via other programs, so maybe You won't need to reinstall it. I would higly recommend uninstalling LoTRP completely and then follow that guide step by step.

I hope that fixes it and help You to be able to play LoTRO !!!

There is definitely a need to do something about this. Personally I have never had a single problem installing the game, on four different computers, both laptop and desktop and both Windows 7 and 10. However soooo many people are having this problem. Literally the only thing the Steam forums are filled with on LOTRO right now is people not being able to install the game. I’ve not worked for a games company before, but I’m pretty sure if I did then this many people being unable to install my game would be categorised as a red alert category one 100% essentially must be dealt with right now before we do anything else whatsoever on anything including going to the loo or anything else emergency. If the game is uninstallable then it is unplayable then nobody is going to give me any money and I am not going to be able to pay my bills, so I’d better fix it before I do anything else. But maybe that’s just me and it is normal to totally ignore it ...

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Quote Originally Posted by Rosvodiz View Post
    Thanks for the replies, but I've tried all of them. Also it's not just me, this is four different computers we have tried here.

When I have got data again on my internet I'll try them all again though.
    Are the friends with the problem in the same area as you? Given that you have tried so many things and on so many different computers, I am wondering if it is not something else causing the problem. Glitches in the connection corrupting a download? Some other program that runs on all the computers messing with some of the files?

As others have said, LOTRO certainly has its share of tech issues, but this seems to go beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    DirectX
    I never, ever repeat myself.

DirectX
    ............................ missed a putt.........................At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach............ another Dead & Co. show at the same beach a year later
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face, and yes, that's a banana, no, I'm not happy to see you.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I never, ever repeat myself.

DirectX
    Yeah, I had to seek that out specifically to get LOTRO to work on Windows 10. I"m pretty sure it tells you how to do that in the One Guide posted here.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    I've had no issues ever installing or updating myself. I never use the Steam client. This will sound like a broken record but

fully uninstall. once complete, Delete c:\users\profile\Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online\ folder. Up to you, i have no issues rebooting but please reboot to make sure there is no LotRO process left.
    Install the full Directx9.0c and guess what, Reboot!
    Run LotRO's setup and install it onto any other storage drive other than your C:\. Do not simply click next...next... etc.. Make sure you select any advanced or custom option and change your install location.
    http://live.lotro.com/sites/clientdl.../lotrolive.exe

You also might want to go into the win10 control panel, programs and features, Turn windows features on or off and make sure your .NET 3.51 is installed. There are newer versions of .NET out now and MS will stop including drivers and versions that are dated. I am zero sure if the .NET will help but it wouldn't hurt. DirectX9.0c is almost a must even though other versions are supported.

Give it a go!
    You can install it on your main (OS) drive. I have found it best to not install it in Program Files x86, though, if you do install it on your C:\ drive. Later versions of Windows are picky about stuff there.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.