We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I admit I haven't given much thought to this new Yule gift scheme. My issues with the game are the quality of communication with the player base and how different it feels from pre-Mordor times(not in terms of difficulty but rather old systems getting abandoned - like crafting and increased monetization instead of
    in-game opportunities or encouragement to sub).
    What does surprise me is the growing division between players in the forums. It's possible to play this game without seeing everything as utter blackness/pinky clouds. And more or less subtly insulting others who don't share your opinion.
    I would need a new brain to enjoy The Last Jedi but I don't go around saying people are deranged for liking it. That doesn't make any sense. They had a reason to enjoy it.
    I didn't.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

Quote Originally Posted by JimhadaUK View Post
    Just the same as resetting quests with Mithril Coins then. People complained about it back then too. Its nothing new really
    There's a difference. Resetting quests for a quest grind will eventually give you what you seek, meaning you know how much to spend by doing quick calculations and then deciding whether to go for it or not. I'm totally fine with that. This is very different. This time around we have no idea whether we get what we want or not, meaning we could spend endless amounts of money and still not get it. I spent 8 mithril coins just to open one gold present and was disgusted by what I got, just a mathom hunter's armour. I refuse to spend more coin on that gambling system, and in return they will get a grumpy completionist - a grumpy completionist who is actually willing to part with loads of hard-earned money because I love the game. Just not these gambling systems.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

Quote Originally Posted by kudurru1 View Post
    I didn't.

+1

Seriously though...a lot of wisdom in your post. Thank you.

I would need a new brain to enjoy The Last Jedi but I don't go around saying people are deranged for liking it. That doesn't make any sense. They had a reason to enjoy it.
    I didn't.
    You did. in the official lotro forum.

What does surprise me is the growing division between players in the forums. It's possible to play this game without seeing everything as utter blackness/pinky clouds. And more or less subtly insulting others who don't share your opinion.
    I didn't.

Now that I've thought about it, I think you've struck on something. Maybe we just need ONE thing to bring together all the different viewpoints among the LOTRO Players of the World. No matter how you feel about LI's, or PvP, or P2W, or grinding....we need just ONE common thread we all could agree on, that would bring us together in peace and harmony...

I propose...we could unite around... our hatred of The Last Jedi!

Aaaaaaah...I feel better already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydir View Post
    You did. in the official lotro forum.
    Pardon me Sydir, I'm not a master of English language. What I meant is that I find the notion of telling others to like/dislike something quite unreasonable.
    Who am I to judge? Or draw opinions based on entartainment choice? Unless it somehow affects me directly.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    There's a difference. Resetting quests for a quest grind will eventually give you what you seek, meaning you know how much to spend by doing quick calculations and then deciding whether to go for it or not. I'm totally fine with that. This is very different. This time around we have no idea whether we get what we want or not, meaning we could spend endless amounts of money and still not get it. I spent 8 mithril coins just to open one gold present and was disgusted by what I got, just a mathom hunter's armour. I refuse to spend more coin on that gambling system, and in return they will get a grumpy completionist - a grumpy completionist who is actually willing to part with loads of hard-earned money because I love the game. Just not these gambling systems.
    Its clear you dont know what I am talking about.

Hobbit Presents now called Hobbit Gifts is a FREE click per day. ITS FREE! FREE!! FREE!!! DANG! Get over it.

"Spending a currency" for a "random chance" for an item or a "random chance" at lets say to "win", as like a lottery ticket, is the very definition of "gambling". To cover it up with statements such as "remember, it's just a game." It's pretty easy to understand.

If we spend a currency to buy something that we know what we are getting, Then we are shopping!

Limited items from the festivals have always been a design in game. Placing game-play items in the store removes players from the game-play to attain those items. Did that make sense?
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Quote Originally Posted by Thulenbrak View Post
    It means SSG wants you to buy mithril coins to play the hobbit-slots. Kind of like the arcade crane machine, where you never get the plushy toy you're after.
    Confirming this would seem to be that I got precisely 8 mc in my gold box. This honestly feels more like gambling to me than lootboxes as however and near inevitably useless their contents there is certain to be at least a pittance of usable barter tokens whereas this is a total #### shoot with enticement to gamble by providing 8 mc for the first roll of the dice. Is it legal?

Right up there with Do 5 quests for 1 lump of coal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
    I think a VIP can forget about the elk mount even if they use mithril lol
    Hmmm...I got the elk mount on Thursday without spending mithril. :-D

This was my first haul right out of the gate:
    Silver present-1 yule chandelier, one wreath selection box (choice of silver, gold, green wreaths)
    Gold present-2 rugs, 1 wallpaper, 1 elk.

I've been logging into my five servers every day since. Nothing. Rather discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame View Post
    Silver present-1 yule chandelier, one wreath selection box (choice of silver, gold, green wreaths)

I've been logging into my five servers every day since. Nothing. Rather discouraging.
    I hear ya. Same here. Let's see whether this continues.
    From f2p to p2p: nothing here is accidental
    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/102469...g-Monetization

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame View Post

Yes, it does seem strange that the only "good stuff" that I received was on the first day as well. Ever since, just garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Seregthol View Post
    Yes, it does seem strange that the only "good stuff" that I received was on the first day as well. Ever since, just garbage.
    I have access to at least 15 (16) free silver hobbit presents every day (I haven't checked all the servers yet, I may have more characters there).

This morning I opened them all and got 1 box with a tree. The rest was 'as usual', a potion, some scraps, etc.

Edit: going to try to open all 15 (16) presents every day and post the number of 'gift boxes' here.

December 16: 1/15
    December 17: 3/15
    December 18: 3/16
    December 19: 1/16 (and I found a few mithril coins on an account so opened 2 extra silver presents. Result: 1/2)
    December 20: 3/16
    December 21: 2/16
    December 22: 4/16
    December 23: 2/16
    December 24: 1/16
    December 25: 4/16
    December 26: 5/16
    December 27: 3/16
    December 28: 3/16
    December 29: 0/16 (16 opened boxes, no Yule gift box)
    December 30: 2/16
    December 31: 1/16
    January 1 : 2/16
    January 2 : 2/16
    January 3 : 3/16
    January 4 : 2/16
    January 5 : 2/16
    January 6 : 0/16 (16 opened boxes, no Yule gift box)
    January 7 : 2/16
    January 8 : 4/16
    January 9 : 0/16 (16 opened boxes, no Yule gift box)

My next question is: is the drop rate for presents opened with mithril coins higher than for the free presents?
    From what I saw when I opened gold presents with mithril coins I found in the banks of my accounts, I would say yes.

My daughter's luck: 18 opened daily silver boxes, 3 Yule gift boxes
    26 opened daily silver boxes, 4 Yule gift boxes - all wreaths
    28 opened daily silver boxes, 5 Yule gift boxes - all wreaths - needless to say she is not impressed
    Last edited by Happybudgy; Jan 09 2020 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post
    I have access to at least 15 free silver hobbit presents every day (I haven't checked all the servers yet, I may have more characters there).

This morning I opened them all and got 1 box with a tree. The rest was 'as usual', a potion, some scraps, etc.
    Yeah, to me it looks more like 10-15% gets a prize. Would like to see some solid numbers on this to see if I want to spend MC.

Quote Originally Posted by ElanorFb View Post
    Yeah, to me it looks more like 10-15% gets a prize. Would like to see some solid numbers on this to see if I want to spend MC.
    I wouldn't spend MC on this even if the chance was 90%. It just tells them, yeah, I like this - do it again on all festivals.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by ElanorFb View Post
    If you play on Landroval I can hook you up with housing stuff, not all, some.

Quote Originally Posted by SharlaSedai View Post
    I still don't understand how people can get so worked up over the stupid Hobbit presents. No one forces anyone to use Mithril to roll additional times; if you do, it's purely your choice. You don't even have to spend real money to do it since you can buy Mithril Coins from Lotro Points earned by doing deeds.

Why is it that no one holds the individual responsible for their own actions anymore? Everyone has to mamsy pamsy around and restrict other people's fun just because a few people can't control their own weaknesses. If you really get that wound up about a Hobbit gift present and just HAVE to keep rolling the dice, you have bigger problems than Lotro created. You have a full blown gambling addiction and that's NOT SSG's fault. Most Lotro players roll their once a day/week presents and go on with their game. Why do we have to restrict ourselves because of other people's inability to control themselves? Getting really tired of this whole idea. Tired of babies who have to be "protected" from anything bad happening to them, even if it comes from their own poor life choices. Now flame me, I don't care.
    I agree with you Shar, if anyone has a gambling addiction so severe that LOTRO systems trigger it, they should stay away from computer games and anything that has random dice rolled. It's not gambling if you can't get real money or something that can be realistically sold for real money from it. If you're so addicted to gambling and consider rare hobbit presents gifts to be worth wasting your or your family's life savings on, just stay away from games of any kind -- electronic, board, card. They all involve dice and winning things and one way or another are going to temp you to do things you shouldn't do. Complaining about it in these forums is disingenuous though. It's like trying to ban sports because hundreds of billions per year is gambled away on them. No, just don't waste money gambling on sports (or lotro where you can't even get money back if you 'win' whatever that means to you), don't ban the systems
    other favorite middle-earth games: The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7; LotR: The Card Game by FFG; Hobbit/LotR Strategy Battle Game by GW

Quote Originally Posted by mr_toad View Post
    It's like trying to ban sports because hundreds of billions per year is gambled away on them. No, just don't waste money gambling on sports (or lotro where you can't even get money back if you 'win' whatever that means to you), don't ban the systems
    Oh come on, I'm sure anyone is smart enough to see the difference. You can watch sports all you want without gambling a penny on them. No one has to gamble to watch and enjoy any sports. Just buy a ticket/subscribe to a TV channel if needed. The price is set and known beforehand. However, here, in LOTRO, if one wants to get those new decorations, pet and/or mount, one HAS to gamble. There's no other way to get those things. NONE. Gambling only. One can't get them via gameplay, one can't buy them in the store. It's gamble or miss out on them. What a nice Christmas 'gift' from SSG! Poor collectors. I am one, too, and that is one of the reasons I don't play LOTRO any longer. I prefer games with no excessive grind, no microtransactions all over the place and no schemes to make me pay as much as possible. There are lots of single-player and multiplayer games that meet such standards.

SSG & DBG, I know you prolly couldn't care less but I'm just letting you know I can see what you have done here, I don't approve of it, and I'm not dumb to fall for your tricks.

Hobbit Slot Machines?
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    Hobbit Slot Machines?
    Yup, and does anyone remember the news of the past? In 2012 Tolkien Estates sued WB to the tune of $80 million for their development of Lord of the Rings slot machines, labelling them as "morally questionable". The Estate also believed that the association of slot machine gambling and Tolkien's works had caused "irreparable harm to Tolkien's legacy and reputation and the valuable goodwill generated by his works."

So, it doesn't really matter how many players here in this little forum think this is ok, and a kind gesture by SSG. They are out-ranked by some very important people..
    Last edited by Arnenna; Dec 17 2019 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seregthol View Post
    I only received one good thing with a gold hobbit prezzie. As it isn't Thursday yet, I have not yet done my second one....
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Yup, and does anyone remember the news of the past? In 2012 Tolkien Estates sued WB to the tune of $80 million for their development of Lord of the Rings slot machines, labelling them as "morally questionable". The Estate also believed that the association of slot machine gambling and Tolkien's works had caused "irreparable harm to Tolkien's legacy and reputation and the valuable goodwill generated by his works."

So, it doesn't really matter how many players here in this little forum think this is ok, and a kind gesture by SSG. They are out-ranked by some very important people..
    It would be gambling in a legal sense if you got something in return you could actually sell for real money. What you get is nothing but fluff, bound to account things, nothing you can actually gain any in-game advantage from or any financial advantage from. It's literally piggies with a cart, ponies with prezzies, and christmas decorations for the house. That's really it.

You get a chance on something every single day, and a chance on something good once a week if you are VIP. If anything, it's maybe a good sales tactic for VIP, as you get some free gold prezzie spins during the festival. But.... it's not like this fluffy extras break the game, give anyone an advantage over anyone else..... its literally just fluff. It's literally nothing more than "look at me, I've got a piggy with a cart!" - if you hinge any sort of importance on that, maybe you might be inclined to spend some mithril coins to get an extra roll, but I am betting most people just take it for what it is. We will likely see this again in Spring, Summer, etc with the other festivals.

As an extra note, literally thousands of mobile phone games employ the same system: You get a daily roll on something and you can spend "crystals" or "coins" to get more rolls, and there is a convenient option to buy 20 crystals for $2.99! Sure you can work to save up earned crystals inside the game, just like you can create a beorning (5 minute intro) and grind lotro points for 2 hours..... if you do all the right slayer deeds, you can get about 250 LP in 2-3 hours, which is enough to buy mithril coins. This is literally absolutely nothing different than those thousands of mobile games that work the same.

I guess it's all about how much importance one has on the fluff that the hobbit prezzies might bring.....
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    ...As an extra note, literally thousands of mobile phone games employ the same system: You get a daily roll on something and you can spend "crystals" or "coins" to get more rolls, and there is a convenient option to buy 20 crystals for $2.99! Sure you can work to save up earned crystals inside the game, just like you can create a beorning (5 minute intro) and grind lotro points for 2 hours..... if you do all the right slayer deeds, you can get about 250 LP in 2-3 hours, which is enough to buy mithril coins. This is literally absolutely nothing different than those thousands of mobile games that work the same...
    So basically You are putting LoTRO's gambling like mechanics and monetization system on equal footing with mobile games ???

If that was meant as some kind of defense of LoTRO, I'm not sure that is the defence I'd want from anyone if I ran or represented a game ??? Being compared to a mobile game when You run or represent a PC game is like a real downgrade. Just look at how gamers recieved and reacted to Blizzard announcing a Diablo mobile game at BlizzCon. It was not well recieved to say the least. Alot of memorable MEMEs came out of that. Same with Red Alert mobile game when announced. Mobile games have a very low standing and status among gamers. Alot due to the type of monetization shemes and gambling mechanics they use.

Then again as far as last I read somewhere Turbine is now a studio more or less focusing on doing mobile games. Not sure if true or not but that is what I read somehwere ??? I think it was around the time of SSG/Turbine split. That Turbine would now (at that time) turn into a mobile game studio or something like that. Maybe a natural development after they tested that monetization system in LoTRO. Put it all in place. The monetization infrastructure that we now see fully utilized by SSG.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    It would be gambling in a legal sense if you got something in return you could actually sell for real money. What you get is nothing but fluff, bound to account things, nothing you can actually gain any in-game advantage from or any financial advantage from. It's literally piggies with a cart, ponies with prezzies, and christmas decorations for the house. That's really it.

You get a chance on something every single day, and a chance on something good once a week if you are VIP. If anything, it's maybe a good sales tactic for VIP, as you get some free gold prezzie spins during the festival. But.... it's not like this fluffy extras break the game, give anyone an advantage over anyone else..... its literally just fluff. It's literally nothing more than "look at me, I've got a piggy with a cart!" - if you hinge any sort of importance on that, maybe you might be inclined to spend some mithril coins to get an extra roll, but I am betting most people just take it for what it is. We will likely see this again in Spring, Summer, etc with the other festivals.

As an extra note, literally thousands of mobile phone games employ the same system: You get a daily roll on something and you can spend "crystals" or "coins" to get more rolls, and there is a convenient option to buy 20 crystals for $2.99! Sure you can work to save up earned crystals inside the game, just like you can create a beorning (5 minute intro) and grind lotro points for 2 hours..... if you do all the right slayer deeds, you can get about 250 LP in 2-3 hours, which is enough to buy mithril coins. This is literally absolutely nothing different than those thousands of mobile games that work the same.

I guess it's all about how much importance one has on the fluff that the hobbit prezzies might bring.....
    You would be correct except hobbit gifts contain items . . . other than fluff. Just like a raffle in RL, rolls can bring all sorts of fluff, but also the chance at something valuable. Example - Solvents are a game necessity, and they come bundled in a pack of five, unbound, in the hobbit gift panel. That there is a real in game advantage, of something that costs real money in the game store, which can be won by buying chance in the hobbit gift panel. That makes it a gambling mechanic - a real, whether we acknowledge it or not, slot machine. That people may be rolling the dice for fluff, makes no difference.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast