We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SharlaSedai View Post
    You know what? I hope SSG stops doing anything extra for us. It's not appreciated anyways. Could it possibly be that they were simply trying to give us a little something special during the Yule season? No, of course not; it HAS to be a nefarious motive on SSG's part. I mean, they COULD have just continued to give us the usual pots/scrolls/silly stuff we USUALLY get from the Hobbit presents, but they just had to be rear ends and actually give us housing décor, mounts, and pets. What horrible people. I'm done. I can't actually imagine living with some of you. Nothing anyone does for you is good enough for you. Should have been more, better, greater somehow.
    LMAO if SSG wanted to give something extra for the holiday just give it to the players. Instead they put them in a RNG where you might not get anything but if you buy & buy mithril coins & keep going ya just might get lucky. It's hilarious & sad at the same time how people like you bat a blind eye to stuff like this & make excuses on how it is ok to do. All this behavior does is entice SSG more & more to do things like this taking it a step further & further because people like you defend this & think it's ok.

All this is is SSG trying to entice players to spend more money buying mithril to try & get these "special" gifts.

As a completionist and pet-collector this bothers me. The new pets being bound to gambling means there is a chance I will never own them. And as much as I am tempted to subscribe I will not. Because I may not get them anyway. I think this is a first when it comes to pets, them being locked behind a gambling system. All other pets you can get from buying through the store or playing the game or supporting a cause or whatnot. These new ones you just don't know whether you'll ever get.

Mark my words: Had there been a "Subscribe now! And get this Yule Pig!" option, I would have thrown SSG my money straight away. Heck, they could even have put it in the store for 995 TP, I might have bought it. But this gambling way of doing it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and an in-game annoyance since there is no way I can be sure to ever collect it.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

After some reflection, I have come to the conclusion that I may have taken this too far. Now, this is NOT an apology; I still stand for everything I said yesterday. No, how I took it too far is that usually on these types of threads, I will state my position reasonably and logically and if it continues, I simply laugh at the ridiculousness of it all and go on my way. Yesterday, I allowed myself to be pulled into a debate that was unmerited of my attention. Honestly, I would say it was like reasoning with a stone wall, but I suspect a stone wall would be more willing to listen to an opposing point of view.

So. I've come to the conclusion that you all can sit over here in the corner, being grumpy and mopey, while my Hobbit lass jingles by merrily on her reindeer steed, with his festive red saddle blanket embroidered with green holly leaves. And when she gets off her festive reindeer mount, she has her cute piggie pet, with his adorable little wagon filled with presents and good cheer, following her around and making his happy little snuffles and grunt-y noises. She'll decorate her hobbit hole for Yule with her green holly wreath trimmed with a big, red bow, and when spring comes to the Shirelands, she'll put her birdhouse out in the yard, sit on the porch of her hobbit hole, listen to the birds and smoke her pipeweed.

To those of you who so vehemently oppose this, though I wouldn't know whether you did or not (or care, actually), I can only say one thing; just know that if you dare to take advantage of any of these extra hobbit gifts, you're one of the world's biggest hypocrites. Oh, you can still get your daily pots/scrolls/whatever, that's fine, but if one of these special things comes up for you and you don't destroy it, you're just hypocritical, pure and simple. No need to virtue signal back at me about how you don't/wouldn't anyways; I honestly don't care.

(I actually brought this thread up in WC on my server (Don't worry; I was careful to present all of your main arguments; how you feel it will encourage gambling and that SSG is only doing this for the money), just to get a sample testing of how the majority of players feel about it, and out of the 10-12 people who engaged in the conversation, only ONE took the point of view of the majority of you on this thread. The rest laughed and agreed with me that the hobbit presents are awesome and that this thread's PoV is ridiculous.)

So, all this being said, I will take back ONE thing I said yesterday: SSG, I hope you DO continue to do this sort of thing. I LOVE the hobbit gifts and want you to know I appreciate them. I hope you realize that, even though they may scream the loudest, it's the same, small group of people on ALL of these SSG-bashing threads, and that they do NOT represent the majority of Lotro players. So, Happy Yule, SSG, and thanks for the presents.

After some reflection, I have come to the conclusion that I may have taken this too far. Now, this is NOT an apology; I still stand for everything I said yesterday. No, how I took it too far is that usually on these types of threads, I will state my position reasonably and logically and if it continues, I simply laugh at the ridiculousness of it all and go on my way. Yesterday, I allowed myself to be pulled into a debate that was unmerited of my attention. Honestly, I would say it was like reasoning with a stone wall, but I suspect a stone wall would be more willing to listen to an opposing point of view.

So. I've come to the conclusion that you all can sit over here in the corner, being grumpy and mopey, while my Hobbit lass jingles by merrily on her reindeer steed, with his festive red saddle blanket embroidered with green holly leaves. And when she gets off her festive reindeer mount, she has her cute piggie pet, with his adorable little wagon filled with presents and good cheer, following her around and making his happy little snuffles and grunt-y noises. She'll decorate her hobbit hole for Yule with her green holly wreath trimmed with a big, red bow, and when spring comes to the Shirelands, she'll put her birdhouse out in the yard, sit on the porch of her hobbit hole, listen to the birds and smoke her pipeweed.

To those of you who so vehemently oppose this, though I wouldn't know whether you did or not (or care, actually), I can only say one thing; just know that if you dare to take advantage of any of these extra hobbit gifts, you're one of the world's biggest hypocrites. Oh, you can still get your daily pots/scrolls/whatever, that's fine, but if one of these special things comes up for you and you don't destroy it, you're just hypocritical, pure and simple. No need to virtue signal back at me about how you don't/wouldn't anyways; I honestly don't care.

(I actually brought this thread up in WC on my server (Don't worry; I was careful to present all of your main arguments; how you feel it will encourage gambling and that SSG is only doing this for the money), just to get a sample testing of how the majority of players feel about it, and out of the 10-12 people who engaged in the conversation, only ONE took the point of view of the majority of you on this thread. The rest laughed and agreed with me that the hobbit presents are awesome and that this thread's PoV is ridiculous.)

So, all this being said, I will take back ONE thing I said yesterday: SSG, I hope you DO continue to do this sort of thing. I LOVE the hobbit gifts and want you to know I appreciate them. I hope you realize that, even though they may scream the loudest, it's the same, small group of people on ALL of these SSG-bashing threads, and that they do NOT represent the majority of Lotro players. So, Happy Yule, SSG, and thanks for the presents.
    In my view it's really more like making us pay for the "presents" and I hope this experiment in Yuletide festival reward shakedown dies a well-deserved, hasty death.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

The only problem i see is the limited time. it should be added permanently in hobbit's reward. Otherwise it is cosmetic item and you can get some free roll with sub specially with character on several server.

Where are all other players complaining about store system Li's ?

What has really fried my meat over this issue is that all this is is EXTRA stuff being given in the hobbit presents. It's not the new festival steed or new cosmetic outfits or new Yule pets. Those are all still at the Yule fest where they are every year ready for anyone who wants to get it. This is just EXTRA. But instead of being grateful for something EXTRA, everyone has to get all mad. If they hadn't offered it, no one would have even known about it and would have happily went off to the Yule fest to get their Ice Flower steed/cosmetics/pets. But because SSG had the unmitigated GALL to dare to give something EXTRA out in the hobbit gifts, they deserve to be drawn and quartered. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they never give anything special out in the hobbit gifts again. I know I wouldn't. If I gave someone something special and they were as ungrateful as most of these people are, I would take it back and never give them anything again.

I don't like ingratitude. That's what makes me mad. SSG didn't have to give us anything more in the hobbit gifts this Yule. They didn't need to add anything to it, but they did, and some nice stuff too. But rather than say "Hey, thanks, SSG!! I got a new rug/pet/mount/whatever! That's really cool!" everyone's got to have an attitude about it. The whole attitude of this thread just reeks of entitlement. It's just sooo incredibly rude.
    When they add new stuff into the hobbit machine that has no time restrictions, then they can have my gratitude. All they have added now is a game of chance, where a clock is ticking. Some folk fall for this, and see it as something good - that's on them, and in their case - let those rolls, keep on rolling. But for people like me (and others in here), we see what it really is. If it were genuinely "something good", given out of the goodness of the heart - why add the countdown? The countdown is there, to catch the fish that see the hook as "something good."

To preach this out as something good and kind hearted, is a bit like one offering the homeless a free meal . . . with the conditions attached and calling it charitable. A gift is a gift, and they have no conditions attached.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

I was thinking about this yesterday. In comparison to this game, I play a cell phone game about a bunch of cats going on quests, that I don't know if I can name directly. In this game, there is a 60 day holiday event. Every 2 days, you get a box you can buy for gold, which is currency earned in game, and you can spend real money to double the gold with some form of enabler for a dollar a month. They also have a MC equivalent that you buy in bulk purchases, or can subscribe to per month. There are a lot of potential gifts in the box, but only around 12 are offered on any given day, and the rarity of the pull is displayed to you if you click on the help icon. Some of these may have new cats, but please understand a cat is not offered every day and is an ultra rare reward. After you buy the box with gold, you can then spend the equivalent of MCs to open it again, or if you don't like that day's selection, you can watch an ad to change it, or pay the MC equivalent to change the contents.

Every time I can I open that box for gold. The one time I got the MC equivalent, I spent the winnings on another pull of the slot, and opened the box again, because there was a cat that day I wanted to get. Unsurprisingly, I didn't get it. However I'm not upset at that game, even though the mechanics of the slot machine are similar to hobbit presents. So you'd think I'd be as disappointed there as I am here... but I'm not.

You see, it has a store too. Every cat that's in the box is in the store for MC equivalents. I knew at the outset I'd try to get it via the box mechanic, and if I did, Joy. If I didn't, on the last day of the festival, I will get all of the cats out of the store. Moreover, since each cat has a set cost in the MC equivalent, if I so choose to pay for extra pulls, I know how much I want to spend on extra pulls.

I wish something similar had been done here. Then I think there wouldn't be this anger if they had, and they would be making money through two avenues rather than one which is good for the company. Because, while I can't speak for the others in this thread, I know that there's no set in stone word that these items will ever be offered next year or in the future. After all, all the steeds were removed from the envelope quests. The curator was removed from the game to return sporadically at unknowable intervals. I don't have faith that these will return next year if you are unlucky this year.

While I do appreciate the offer of extra rewards, I wish there were another vehicle to get them. The closest thing I can think of that is similar in-game is the hobby-horse from Mara's present. The one that went into the mount selection box, that was purchasable by Embers, on the curator. I can't tell you if I bought it, or if I won it out of a box, but I remember finally being happy I got it, and I know it wasn't from Mara's gift. Come to think of it, even the skeleton horse was purchasable in store at one point because people had rotten luck getting the quest.

And as to the argument that we are accusing the company doing this to make money, it may be because some of us have been around long enough to remember when gifts were given out for the holiday simply because you were a subscribed player, such as the Founder's steed. While I wasn't around to get the steed, I do believe I got some permanent discounts in 2009. There was no hobbit present system then, thus no argument of monetization. It was a gift freely given to the player base, who all had subscribed or payed for lifetime membership.

People who "don't care" (as you stated) about an issue normally don't take five paragraphs and a "careful" poll in WC to convey that.

Enjoy your "jingles". I'm happy you received all that you hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Raesharra View Post
    I was thinking about this yesterday. In comparison to this game, I play a cell phone game about a bunch of cats going on quests, that I don't know if I can name directly. In this game, there is a 60 day holiday event. Every 2 days, you get a box you can buy for gold, which is currency earned in game, and you can spend real money to double the gold with some form of enabler for a dollar a month. They also have a MC equivalent that you buy in bulk purchases, or can subscribe to per month. There are a lot of potential gifts in the box, but only around 12 are offered on any given day, and the rarity of the pull is displayed to you if you click on the help icon. Some of these may have new cats, but please understand a cat is not offered every day and is an ultra rare reward. After you buy the box with gold, you can then spend the equivalent of MCs to open it again, or if you don't like that day's selection, you can watch an ad to change it, or pay the MC equivalent to change the contents.

Every time I can I open that box for gold. The one time I got the MC equivalent, I spent the winnings on another pull of the slot, and opened the box again, because there was a cat that day I wanted to get. Unsurprisingly, I didn't get it. However I'm not upset at that game, even though the mechanics of the slot machine are similar to hobbit presents. So you'd think I'd be as disappointed there as I am here... but I'm not.

You see, it has a store too. Every cat that's in the box is in the store for MC equivalents. I knew at the outset I'd try to get it via the box mechanic, and if I did, Joy. If I didn't, on the last day of the festival, I will get all of the cats out of the store. Moreover, since each cat has a set cost in the MC equivalent, if I so choose to pay for extra pulls, I know how much I want to spend on extra pulls.

I wish something similar had been done here. Then I think there wouldn't be this anger if they had, and they would be making money through two avenues rather than one which is good for the company. Because, while I can't speak for the others in this thread, I know that there's no set in stone word that these items will ever be offered next year or in the future. After all, all the steeds were removed from the envelope quests. The curator was removed from the game to return sporadically at unknowable intervals. I don't have faith that these will return next year if you are unlucky this year.

While I do appreciate the offer of extra rewards, I wish there were another vehicle to get them. The closest thing I can think of that is similar in-game is the hobby-horse from Mara's present. The one that went into the mount selection box, that was purchasable by Embers, on the curator. I can't tell you if I bought it, or if I won it out of a box, but I remember finally being happy I got it, and I know it wasn't from Mara's gift. Come to think of it, even the skeleton horse was purchasable in store at one point because people had rotten luck getting the quest.

And as to the argument that we are accusing the company doing this to make money, it may be because some of us have been around long enough to remember when gifts were given out for the holiday simply because you were a subscribed player, such as the Founder's steed. While I wasn't around to get the steed, I do believe I got some permanent discounts in 2009. There was no hobbit present system then, thus no argument of monetization. It was a gift freely given to the player base, who all had subscribed or payed for lifetime membership.

Thanks for such a well-thought-out and articulate post. I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    Slander is false; what I said is true. The person asked a question and rather than facts he got depressing opinions and a flood of "Devs are pushing pay-to-win" naysayers. If I have anything to add to this conversation, it's that one shouldn't listen to all the negativity until (and if) these opinions prove true.
    . Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    As a completionist and pet-collector this bothers me. The new pets being bound to gambling means there is a chance I will never own them. And as much as I am tempted to subscribe I will not. Because I may not get them anyway. I think this is a first when it comes to pets, them being locked behind a gambling system. All other pets you can get from buying through the store or playing the game or supporting a cause or whatnot. These new ones you just don't know whether you'll ever get.

Mark my words: Had there been a "Subscribe now! And get this Yule Pig!" option, I would have thrown SSG my money straight away. Heck, they could even have put it in the store for 995 TP, I might have bought it. But this gambling way of doing it leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and an in-game annoyance since there is no way I can be sure to ever collect it.
    This is false.

there is a 66 - 70% chance you find a gift with a roll.
    each prize has more or less the same % to appear so (pet-Mount-rug-tree-wallpaper) --> around 14% (or 1/8) to find what you want from a single roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydir View Post
    This is false.

each prize has more or less the same % to appear so (pet-Mount-rug-tree-wallpaper) --> around 14% (or 1/8) to find what you want from a single roll.
    Still, with only one gold roll each week for 3-4-5 weeks (for a total of max 5 gold rolls), I could easily go without the steed or the cart pig, so it's still very much a lottery.

Still, with only one gold roll each week for 3-4-5 weeks (for a total of max 5 gold rolls), I could easily go without the steed or the cart pig, so it's still very much a lottery.
    Equally so, there is a chance you can get the steed on the first week, and not need to log in every day and aquire tokens to get the things you want.
    Its no different than those horses that were behind those envelopes quests in Bree. Eventually they were put into Pick a Mount boxes. Maybe these will go the same, or be available next year to purchase for MC... who knows.

[QUOTE=JimhadaUK;7980564
    Its no different than those horses that were behind those envelopes quests in Bree .[/QUOTE]

Actually it's quite different...because this time, you can PAY for more chances to get the "gift" you want.

This is false.

RNG hates me then, because since the festival started I still didn't get any of these gifts lol. Looking forward for at least the pig since I'm not VIP but let's see
    Anamura, Silenius, Neuschwanstein, Sunnarea, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Virgilio, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)

Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
    RNG hates me then, because since the festival started I still didn't get any of these gifts lol. Looking forward for at least the pig since I'm not VIP but let's see
    the chances I posted early refers to gold hobbit, the silver has around 10-15% of chance for (small tree - birdhouse - wreath . chandelier).

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    Actually it's quite different...because this time, you can PAY for more chances to get the "gift" you want.
    You could reset the daily quest with MC as much as you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by ShireDweller View Post
    In my view it's really more like making us pay for the "presents" and I hope this experiment in Yuletide festival reward shakedown dies a well-deserved, hasty death.
    All these tables with percentages make me realize it's actually worse than what I wrote here...it's making us pay for only a CHANCE to get the "presents". I don't care how sparkly and festive you decorate the UI, it's still a gamble, not a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
    indeed Oh fer for me too. Are these odds published somewhere or just anecdotal?

Quote Originally Posted by Raesharra View Post
    (snip)

Very nice post, thank you.

Does anyone here remember the lotteries? Those were truly free as well.
    From f2p to p2p: nothing here is accidental
    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/102469...g-Monetization

Quote Originally Posted by ShireDweller View Post
    All these tables with percentages make me realize it's actually worse than what I wrote here...it's making us pay for only a CHANCE to get the "presents".
    Don't take me wrong, I don't really like gambling, nevertheless I pay for an health insurance and a car insurance, and I obliterate the ticket on the tram.
    "gambling" can be fair or unfair, it depends on success rates and the money you need to bet.

If the insurance company asked me (the actual me: age and job and lifestyle) $12,000 /yr, I could think "considering pros and cons, if something happens I pay the hospital and probably I still save some money", but in 2019 the company is asking $3,600 / yr and I think "it's ok" even if I'm only get a cold and I do a dental cleaning.

the numbers I shared give these informations: every item from the "gold hobbit additional gift roll" costs (worst case) 12 MC (not 8, because you could get -notthing-) and for a specific item ("the pet" or "the mount") i need to

>= 99% (1 - 1/5)^n < 0.01 = 20.6 success (or 240 MC or 30 tries) <--
    >= 95% (1 - 1/5)^n < 0.05 = 13,4 success (or 156 MC or 19 tries) <-- normally enough

That said, everyone has a different wallet, priorities and ethic, but without some data, how can we choose if something is cheap/expensive right/wrong fair/unfair ?

Quote Originally Posted by ElanorFb View Post
    indeed Oh fer for me too. Are these odds published somewhere or just anecdotal?
    they came from my own rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by JimhadaUK View Post
    Equally so, there is a chance you can get the steed on the first week, and not need to log in every day and aquire tokens to get the things you want.
    Its no different than those horses that were behind those envelopes quests in Bree. Eventually they were put into Pick a Mount boxes. Maybe these will go the same, or be available next year to purchase for MC... who knows.
    There is a big difference between the two: You actually have to pay for these new ones, and you don't know how much you'll have to pay. The other one you could get from grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Happybudgy View Post
    Very nice post, thank you.

Does anyone here remember the lotteries? Those were truly free as well.
    I do! I had so many different kinds of morale/power potions from them, stacks and stacks...in the end I had to vendor a lot of them because I simply didn't have the space to keep them all.

I won two steeds of the runekeeper from the lotteries, and a few of the war-steed emotes. They were great!

Don't take me wrong, I don't really like gambling, nevertheless I pay for an health insurance and a car insurance, and I obliterate the ticket on the tram.
    "gambling" can be fair or unfair, it depends on success rates and the money you need to bet.

If the insurance company asked me (the actual me: age and job and lifestyle) $12,000 /yr, I could think "considering pros and cons, if something happens I pay the hospital and probably I still save some money", but in 2019 the company is asking $3,600 / yr and I think "it's ok" even if I'm only get a cold and I do a dental cleaning.

the numbers I shared give these informations: every item from the "gold hobbit additional gift roll" costs (worst case) 12 MC (not 8, because you could get -notthing-) and for a specific item ("the pet" or "the mount") i need to

>= 99% (1 - 1/5)^n < 0.01 = 20.6 success (or 240 MC or 30 tries) <--
    >= 95% (1 - 1/5)^n < 0.05 = 13,4 success (or 156 MC or 19 tries) <-- normally enough

That said, everyone has a different wallet, priorities and ethic, but without some data, how can we choose if something is cheap/expensive right/wrong fair/unfair ?
    I had open-heart surgery two and a half years ago, and I'll need another heart valve replacement in the future when the one they gave me wears out (hopefully not for ten years or so) so I make sure to pay my health insurance first thing every month...same with renters' insurance, car insurance and motor club insurance in case something happens while I'm out on the road. I have no problem with any of it.

But regards these new items, I'd rather see some type of guaranteed option of getting them also, either with festival tokens or even as a direct store purchase. I do appreciate the data you provided.

There is a big difference between the two: You actually have to pay for these new ones, and you don't know how much you'll have to pay. The other one you could get from grinding.
    And if I remember correctly, originally those quests were on something like a one-hour timer so you could do them multiple times per day if you had the time. Then they switched it all over to once per day and added the pay to repeat sooner options.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    Just the same as resetting quests with Mithril Coins then. People complained about it back then too. Its nothing new really

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast