We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation [SPOILERS] Why Mordor Besieged is the worst part of the expansion

[SPOILER ALERT] If you have not yet finished the first part of the Expansion (Chapter 11 of the Black Book of Mordor) and you want to live it, do not continue with the reading.

I know that many of you love this part of the latest expansion, and I am really content of this.
    First of all, an honest kudos for the plot, the idea of exploring the past Age and the S.A. Barad-dûr model.

Nonetheless, here I want to write a frank list after a cold-minded sum of the whole Mordor Besieged contents.
    Sadly, the M.B. part of the Minas Morgul Expansion is to me one of the worst "playable sections" of LOTRO as of now, and here is why.

Conceptually the shape of the landscape and the world-building is in line with what we saw in the past (with the usual odd pyramids here and there and out-of-context lowres textures), and some already argued that the team could actually have made some more of S.A. Mordor, maybe from the broken Black Gate to Seregost and Sammath Naur, since it's not publicized
    as just one "area" but as one "region" instead.

Pretending it was labelled as "area", the actual size is fine.
    There why it barely holds as an area, let alone as an official region:

• Landscape hubs and settlements: since the M.B. is indeed labelled as a siege, one would have expected some more "siege accurate" positioning of the various checkpoints, plus a definitely not-random spreading of allies/enemies concentrations. But this would be just a proper nice and logical touch, that is often missed in LOTRO, like for example, most of the gondorian fortresses has no passable/climbable walls, houses with no doors, useless palisades that can be bypassed jumping from rocks (pointing at you, Edoras).
      What concerns me most about those locations is the wide lack of new models and textures, almost every "Great Alliance"-related scenery is classic T.A. gondorian or old bree models and textures, with too few reskins.

Ofc the banners and tents got new designs, but on a 3,000 years temporal distance I would have expected like...more differences? Let me know what you think, beyond the -they did what they could with the resources they have-

• Numbers and the whole event magnitude: this has never been a real problem in the past, huge events have always been scaled down in order to make the stuff more playable or tech-friendly, but...the Great Alliance was supposed to be something really great, and I was disappointed to see, for example, 5 dwarves in total in the whole siege (I know about the events that occurred but, seriously, 4 warriors and their king?). By comparison the enemies got by far more numbers as mobs, scattered all around the map.

There is more White Company near T.A. Minas Morgul than Great Allies sieging Barad-Dur.

• Lack of details: this region is lacking pretty much all the nice gems and touches that made even the most underestimated quest worthy of praise.
      Explainig myself better.
      The Nazguls have dread auras in the landscape, the normal ghosts too, but Sauron don’t in the "final encounter". Like, really the one who could be considered the very source of the Dread gives no dread?

Elendil the Tall is shorter than his own sons and the player.

Narsil is just a random model sword same as countless low-tier crafted ones.

No consistency between the designs of the High Elf intro and the M.B. part.

No facilities that would be nice to see around a huge fortress/city such as Barad-Dur: I understand the lack of surroundings in the T.A. version after the Ring, but in the Second Age and during the Siege, I would have expected something like, idk, Carn-Dûm or Dol Guldur?

Very very few interactions between the Alliance and the Mordor armies. There is just one random guy that gets ganked every 5 mins in Parth Daenath, but elsewhere there is nothing like guards and patrols and guerrilla fights. Bree is better guarded, while in M.B you could go with a bunch of orcs and wargs in front of Isildur and watch him smiling at you while you get bitten .

No Hope mechanic while near the major NPCs. Now, that has been dropped long ago for reasons I cannot figure out, but it was a nice touch in the older regions.

• No region/area related quest-line: it is custom to have for each area a proper questline that proceeds in parallel with the Epic Quest contents, and it is so in the Minas Morgul part. In M.B. the only quests out of the Black Book are few basic filler quests renamed and reused several times.
      The area related quest lines were always cool-to-great stories made to delve deeper into the stuff barely touched by the Epics, and I was a bit disappointed to see nothing for the M.B., since all the rest of the expansion is built according to the old fashion

• I can go and knock to the very door of Barad-ûr. And this would not be a problem if the area was planned to look like Barad-Dur being shut in a besieged state, but since the whole Dor Amarth is filled with chilling mobs, I would expect some more of a guard near the very Doors of the Fortress of Evil.

• The Ghâzab Bóron is the main plot device of the M.B. story, yet everything happens offscreen. If one misses the wall o' texts in the quest descriptions he just never knows about it via the gameplay.

• The Black Book Chapter: here I'm going to express a very unpopular opinion. As a whole, all the implementation is bad, just bad. Don't get me wrong: I read many words of praise for the story and the flow it follows, and I agree totally with the positive feedback on that. But what the devs has forgotten is that LOTRO is a videogame. The story should be played, not read.

The majority of the quests is just go and read, accept and read, read and read. When the player has to do something like TO PLAY, he's being given a -90% inc dmg and +400% dmg.

It's like the SSG received a great screenplay from MoL but put the lowest effort possible into implementing it, because "hey the story looks cool, so the players wont mind if the content is just a series of wall of texts to read". I'm sure that this is ok for many, and I'm happy for them if this is the case, but personally when I play a videogame I'd like to "play".
      The personal story of each character appears just plain when you get no attachment to that NPC by doing real stuff with him. Not "real" in a scripted way, but in a effort-reward way.

I'd like to point out that there are way more fine gameplays and playful moments in the area-related subquestlines around MM(that I loved) than in the BBoM. The BBoM has even less voiceover than the """not-Main""" stuff.
      Play-->Narration-->Play (MM lines), not Read-->Narration-->Read (BBoM line)

• The final instance of M.B. : practically a graphic adventure game. +400% dmg so everything is oneshotted. You get to the Nazguls and you say "finally some proper gameplay, let's kick them in a real fight". Nope, let's go straight to Sauron himself.
      "I cannot defeat him, but at least I can help, let's fight the good fight". Nope, just watch and read the scene while jumping in Sauron to check if he gives dread, until you have to run away without even having cast a single skill.

I’d like to point out that usually there are some nice lore-tellings and details even within the skills and buffs used by the enemies during important fights. No fights means less details

• End of the Region AKA “Read all of the last events both fictional and historical in a cascade of quest texts”. Thanks but no, I already own the books to read, and I already did many times. I'd like to play, if you don’t mind.

Gameplay should not be an option or a secondary adornment.

Everything ends in a poor resolution cinematic with some clunky animations. One of the most important events of the S.A. and this is all, no instance or player involvement.

Not like I did expect much more when I was about to witness it, since Anárion had already died off-screen some quest-text ago. But the in-game scene in the launch trailer with the Last Confrontation led me to hope we could really be playing that part, and LOTRO being labelled as a videogame strengthened such hope.

There may be many other things worthy of discussion, but I think they would eventually fall in the "personal taste" field.

What I'd like to bring out is that there is a serious lack in too many parts of the language that forms a Videogame. The last part of the BBoM in the M.B. is like watching a movie, and near the end they shut the projector down and they make you read a sheet with the screenplay. Even with the best written screenplay, this would not be acceptable.
    I felt that "Region" as a complete filler after completing it, as it was something planned last-minute and pulled together in no time.

I’m so sorry to reject this "Region", and I’d like to pretend everything was good, but it wasn’t.

Bonus point: when you face Urudani, for the NPC it's fine to kill loads of random weaklings but not the Chieftain of them all because she deserves mercy LOL

--Duf of Ark

Got to say, I very much agree with all the above. Great story writing, horrid gameplay implementation.

Where should I begin? I guess I will just say one thing. I don't expect ESO-quality quest design here. LOTRO is an older game and these things you mention either can't be done or are too much work to do. And this is what I wanna say. The way they allocate resources is very very bad. LOTRO is having an identity crisis. This is something I wanted to touch on in my "review" but I forgot. We've had like 3 or 4 new raids since SSG took over? We are expecting one right now. The previous ones are already forgotten, there is no reason to do them, there is no way to do them as nobody is doing them. In the meantime, landscape content that's coming out is half-baked at best. Too many raids while the casual crowd is getting massively watered-down content.

What I mean by this is, yes, exactly what you said. The way we fight and kill the big bad guys is a disgrace because there is zero work being put into these questline-ending fights. Basically landscape looks like it's designed for people with the lowest possible expectations. I don't mean world building, I mean quest design and boss fights.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

I have to disagree about the Black book of Mordor part, Yes there is a lot of wall of text but that's always been apart of the main story and there a lot of playing it as well, i personally like how it was done.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Turin347 View Post
    Bonus point: when you face Urudani, for the NPC it's fine to kill loads of random weaklings but not the Chieftain of them all because she deserves mercy LOL
    While I generally enjoyed Mordor Besieged, this was a total "good is dumb" moment. At least this particular "clueless good guy" actually paid for his lack of common sense later in the BBoM.
    Spam Egg Sausage And Spam of Gladden (formerly Silverlode)
    Theozor Viazald human captain 118 | Brau Steinmeister dwarf guardian 130 | Bindore dwarf hunter 112

Crunchy Frogs of Brandywine
    Oxandrium dwarf champion 130 | Bufflekil stout-axe hunter 123 | Randagnofus Ridiculous human loremaster 109

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    Where should I begin? I guess I will just say one thing. I don't expect ESO-quality quest design here. LOTRO is an older game and these things you mention either can't be done or are too much work to do. And this is what I wanna say. The way they allocate resources is very very bad. LOTRO is having an identity crisis. This is something I wanted to touch on in my "review" but I forgot. We've had like 3 or 4 new raids since SSG took over? We are expecting one right now. The previous ones are already forgotten, there is no reason to do them, there is no way to do them as nobody is doing them. In the meantime, landscape content that's coming out is half-baked at best. Too many raids while the casual crowd is getting massively watered-down content.

What I mean by this is, yes, exactly what you said. The way we fight and kill the big bad guys is a disgrace because there is zero work being put into these questline-ending fights. Basically landscape looks like it's designed for people with the lowest possible expectations. I don't mean world building, I mean quest design and boss fights.
    You are aware that there is a thread with some players complaining that Black Book 14.2 is too "difficult", apparently side stepping large red squares is too complex , players like that is why there is so much watered down content, but at the end of the day the devs face the same old dilema , no matter what they do some players will always complain and will not be happy

Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post
    Got to say, I very much agree with all the above. Great story writing, horrid gameplay implementation.
    This pretty much sums up all of LOTRO development post Helms Deep. Some incredibly creative story telling marred by the most cringe worthy implementations
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

Lightbulb

You have some good points. I even agree with some of it. However I personally disagree wholeheartedly that "Mordor Besieged is the worst part of the expansion".

The worst part of this expansion is itemization, gearing up. The so called "crafting update". Rare ingredients hidden behind instances and a very low rng drop chance (then requiring first 15, now 10 for each gear piece, utter redicilous). Instance gear not disenchanting into embers. Lack of a hand in sigils for 1.000 embers weekly quest. No adding of Emp Scrolls bartering at end-game. Instead an LI catch up sold in the store. An account wide 999 cap on sigils and very little to barter for it. Two reps we get as we play through content that are of little use. Instead yet another rep grind on top of those ones when we finally reach end-game with daily and weekly caps on how much rep we can earn each day via daily and weekly quest rewarded relics. Recipes hidden behind that rep grind too. Then requiring shards for not even crafting that good gear. 3 shards for just purple gear that isn't even that fantastic and probably soon outdated. No way to earn those shards from any quest either, but only by a small RNG chance when running around and looting chests or crafting material nodes ad nauseam.

The bugs. Sloppy errors like bows being crossbows in description, but still looking like bows and even named bows, but can't even use bow skins as cosmetics and shoots like crossbows animation with a bow that lies flat in Your arms like a crossbow etc (still not fixed btw). Ramps leading into main instances that You sink through so only Your head stick up. Convertion for old ember gear to now be motes gear that has been wrong on so many levels and required embers after release and now 3 patches later some of it still do. The list can go on. Things that should have been planned, be on some check list and done before release with enough time frame and staff to do so. Things that was reported during Beta Preview #1, Beta Preview #2 and Beta Preview #3 on BR and still made it to live.

Alot of pure hasty sloppy errors due to limited resources and a deadline that someone somewehere pushed for too hard, instead of quality fixes before release. It feels like an underbudgeted and understaffed expansion with a too short deadline to keep. I feel for the few regular full time SSG devs that had been working on this. That now have to sit there an read all complaints and feeling that they are blamed for it all. When they probably knew of alot of the problems, but had no choice but to see their work pushed out too fast with all the issues still remaining. It cast a vast shadow over all the other excellent work like the music, landscape, MoL's story etc.

Then on top of that something done, changed or broken with the server architecture, infrastructure or new database code (or whatever has gone wrong) shortly before launch. Now resulting in horrible performarnce at peak prime times.

No, Mordor Besieged is definetly NOT the worst part of the expansion in my opinion. Not even 2nd or 3rd worst. Alot of other things that are far worse.

Which is a shame, as I fully enjoyed "Where Dragons Dwell" and "Vales Of Anduin".
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Dec 10 2019 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecan View Post
    You are aware that there is a thread with some players complaining that Black Book 14.2 is too "difficult", apparently side stepping large red squares is too complex , players like that is why there is so much watered down content, but at the end of the day the devs face the same old dilema , no matter what they do some players will always complain and will not be happy
    I was not aware of this and I can't accept it. If this type of game is too difficult, there are turn-based games, management sims, point-and-click games, RPGs with many difficulty settings. Games, especially multiplayer games, should be made with the average gamer in mind. It's common sense. If I'm a person who is too slow for this, if I like to play in first-person mode, if I need something less stressful, I will go looking on Steam for games that suit me. I will definitely not come here and try to ruin everyone else's game just so it can fit my needs. I personally thought that part with the circles was a parody. Trust me, if I felt this way about it, most people will find it laughable.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

I very much agree with the OP on this. It was an awesome concept that somehow ended-up lacking.

First off, this expansion would've made sense if it included Imlad Ithil as it was in the Second Age, included parts of Lhingris, and extended up through SA Dor Amarth. I would have been fine with that in addition to TA Imlad Morgul as the expansion. But right now, compared to the landmass released with Mordor, this is not a landscape Expansion; its basically what they did with Ered Mithrim and Iron Hills, but labeled as an Expansion this time.

I think the contrast between SA Minas Ithil and TA Minas Morgul would've made far more sense; SA Minas Ithil could've been the main hub for players in Mordor Besieged.

Now, the other thing this expansion really needed was a session play as that Gondorian hero who tried to end the siege of Minas Ithil, but instead lost the city to become Minas Morgul at the cost of his life. Showcasing the fall of Minas Ithil would have made perfect sense for this Expansion.

Now, when it comes to Mordor Besieged as is, as an implemented "region," well, yeah, there's hardly anything "Great" about this Alliance as currently presented in-game; Aragorn has more NPC's at the Camp of the Host in the TA Wastes than Elendil has in Mordor Besieged! They needed longer siege lines with better defenses.

I would've moved the Black Numenorean fortress on the slopes of Mount Doom and had the Fire-Horn Tower be in its full Gondorian glory (long before the Stout-Axes slaved there or Zoreth dwelt there). I would've also had an equivalent battle-lines and trenches for the Great Alliance, kind of like Helm's Dike, to mirror the Orc camp that straddles the map down the middle. I also would've made Barad-dur itself harder to get to. I agree on the absence of hope or dread mechanics in these severe circumstances; Sauron needed the highest dread factor ever in the game. I also much agree that, at key pivotal moments, the absence of game-play is glaring.

I really, really, really wanted something like the Battle of the Black Gate, last instance in the Epic before Sauron's Fall, to take place on Dol Vaeg in a similar way; more drawn-out, more events, the terror when Sauron comes forth, and for the action to take place before players' eyes, like they did Broin's slow axe swipe taking-down Mazog in the Battle of the Tower instance (only- with Elendil and Gil-galad vs Sauron instead and Isildur taking the Ring).

I also really wanted to see a Sammath Naur instance with players actually seeing Sauron forge the One Ring in the distant past. That would've been very important.

So, there's a lot here that was missing, amazing as the writing was. The gameplay really needed to match the acumen of MoL's writing; I don't think it did, and its a shame. The Great Alliance should feel more than wandering alone in a wasteland, fighting sporadic enemies, and then being cast aside to watch a movie. It felt like an anti-climax from a game-play perspective...

I also don't think the Nazgul part of that instance worked well either. How is it that the Bright Company perishes, but Glorfindel and Player are somehow able to run THROUGH ALL NINE unharmed??? It makes no sense!!! I can see Glorfindel doing a Light of Earendil trick to "stun" the Nine long enough to dart past them, but the current implementation, game-play-wise (not story-wise) feels so lazy- its laughable, and I really wish it wasn't

I wish they'd do a point-update that fixes some things and allow players to re-play through the changes via reflecting pool or something.
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantion View Post
    [...] but the current implementation, game-play-wise (not story-wise) feels so lazy- its laughable, and I really wish it wasn't
    ^This, pretty much, for the M.B. section.

I'd like to point out too that I felt more "feelings" and involvement for Felgúr (Torech Ungol) than I did for any NPC that played a part in those last chapters of the BBoM, cause with the first I actually played and felt like I was part of his story and "life", while in the BBoM you must just stand and read LOTS of dialogues that were totally strangers to your character. Dialogues that in some points risk even to fall into the category of "boring cliches".

This is just a personal opinion of mine, but the Pale Herald part was so much more superior. Instance+voiceovers+gameplay, animations and involvement, the very design of the orcs of his guard and the skill He showed (Blood control??), everything was in the right place and it gave me so many mindblowns, while letting me actually cast some skill.

--Duf of Ark

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    I have to disagree about the Black book of Mordor part, Yes there is a lot of wall of text but that's always been apart of the main story and there a lot of playing it as well, i personally like how it was done.
    I'm very happy that you enjoyed it, but just think what it could have been.

Think how would have been the part of the Epic where you find out that [SPOILER] Gothmog is actually Mordirith. That is one of the WOW parts of LOTRO.
    Now, what if instead of discovering this through an instance, it was like reading in a Faramir's quest-text that the Rangers had spied Gothmog and they heard him say "muhuhahah I am Mordirith"?
    Yeah, the story, events and concepts would have remained the same, but what would have meant for the player? Probably just a "oh ok" instead of a "WOW" , if they had not missed entirely the info.

Now think in this terms for example about the [SPOILER] Gandalf revelation, and what it could have been. This is a missed "Gothmog Appears" opportunity, and the missed opportunities are the ones that hurt me the most.

LOTRO should never risk to turn into a fanfiction, it must remain a videogame and through such type of media and language tells its stories.

--Duf of Ark

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post

The bugs. Sloppy errors like bows being crossbows in description, but still looking like bows and even named bows, but can't even use bow skins as cosmetics and shoots like crossbows animation with a bow that lies flat in Your arms like a crossbow etc.

The glaring bug in particular is absolutely ridiculous. Is there anything being done about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Turin347 View Post

• I can go and knock to the very door of Barad-ûr. And this would not be a problem if the area was planned to look like Barad-Dur being shut in a besieged state, but since the whole Dor Amarth is filled with chilling mobs, I would expect some more of a guard near the very Doors of the Fortress of Evil.
    That's the only part I agree with, I was surprised I could ride up to the door of Sauron's home without any impact, no dread, no increased in er 'Mordor Darkness' (can't remember the proper name), not even insta-death, any of these I was expecting but no nothing. It was odd but didn't spoil my enjoyment of the whole area as a whole.
    Wal's Army on Evernight - Walred (Champ), Walmur (RK), Walbert-2 (Cappy), Walori (Guard), Walrandir (LM), Walora (Warden), Walmo (Burg)

My only issues was the story.

What I would have rather seen was:

1: Arrive to 2nd Age Mordor.
    2: Ride to the various camps, meeting the big named npcs and doing a few pre battle quests for each.
    3: Battle of the Pelennor/Black Gate style instance questline basically taking place during the final battle. Fight through the masses of troops and witness Isildur vs Sauron.

Its kind of bland but I would rather see the actual events instead of working behind the scenes.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    ...The bugs. Sloppy errors like bows being crossbows in description, but still looking like bows and even named bows, but can't even use bow skins as cosmetics and shoots like crossbows animation with a bow that lies flat in Your arms like a crossbow etc...
    The glaring bug in particular is absolutely ridiculous. Is there anything being done about it?
    I don't know. I have reported the bow bug 3 times already with screenshots. First during beta. Then adding even more error info and as a bug report via support page, along with a post in these forums. Higlighting how they are bows but as they have description as crossbows they are hanging wrong on the back. Now that I am LvL 130 I can see that it is not only in the wardrobe but on the acctual character in-game too. As their description says crossbow it seem they are linked to use crossbow animations. At this point I have given up reporting it. 3 times should be enough for them to check all the bows and acctually check through it properly and correct all errors associated with the bows. So far all they fixed was the one bows stats that was supposed to be defensive, but had offensive stats exact cloned stats from another bow, so 2 bows with same stats at launch. At least that was fixed, but so far nothing else with the bows seems to be fixed.

Same with reporting the old ember quests supposed to become mote quest. Along with old Ember barter gear, boxes, essences etc. Also reported 3 times with screenshots, either via support page or via forum posts. Still after 3 patches the old 120 essences require embers, not motes. Each patch something was fixed, but not all of it in one swep. As if they don't realize to look through it all, or not knowing how the items are supposed to be, which ones are supposed to now be motes gear etc. Instead we have to report every single little item for them to even notice each item needing a fix. As if they have never played the game, don't even have check lists with info which items are old items and which ones are new. Which ones should now be for motes and which ones should be for embers etc. using some automated scripts to try and fix it, instead of manually going in and check each item on the old ember barterer in Skarhald. Maybe they have, but don't even know which items are suppose to be what ???

I'm happy to report stuff, happy to help improve things, but as it is not my job I also do other stuff irl and only do gaming and bug reporting when I have time. I can post in these forums almost wherever I am or whatever I'm doing. While a bug report requires that I'm in-game take screenhots then can edit those to submit and explain. I can't do that as a side project when doing other stuff. Having a browser window open and post some comments in a forum is alot easier and don't interrupt whatever else I have that needs to be done irl, or on my PC's, as gaming is not all I do with them. Usually when I finally have time, I also want to play. I even have screenshots saved up of more bugs that I never have had time to work on, edit the images, add description and submit proper info with. I hope to get around to it and catch up but real life takes precedence, as this is only a hobby and not a job for me.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Dec 10 2019 at 07:06 AM.

I have reported the bow bug 3 times already with screenshots. First during beta. Then adding even more error info and as a bug report via support page, along with a post in these forums. Highlighting how they are bows but as they have description as crossbows they are hanging wrong on the back. Now that I am LvL 130 I can see that it is not only in the wardrobe but on the actual character in-game too. As their description says crossbow it seem they are linked to use crossbow animations. At this point I have given up reporting it.

Unbelievable.

It's like some sad little joke with a horrible punchline that never ends.

Thanks again for your persistence, my friend.

I completely agree. Mordor Besieged is very near, if not actually at, the bottom of the list of my favourite areas.

Let's see, what areas do I like less...

It's a tight race, but I think it's made it all the way down!
    Andhilin, Ifeyina, Iondhilin, wardens of Gondolin -- Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindhol View Post
    I completely agree. Mordor Besieged is very near, if not actually at, the bottom of the list of my favourite areas.

Talath Úrui is way down there on my list!
    Gwinthilnel: Elleth Hunter lvl 120~~~Hadniel: Woman Minstrel lvl 115~~~Gwynduilas: High Elleth Captain lvl 62 ~~~Gwindethen: Elleth Runekeeper lvl 28
    Kin: Defiance
    Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Sindhol View Post

If it's on the lowest place of your list as area, wonder where it would be if Mordor Besieged was labelled and sold as a Region.

Wait.

DOH.

In terms of story, it isn't the worst, but it isn't all that great either, it's sort of forgettable in a way. This is why I don't really want the devs to do a lot more time travelling into the second age unless it really works with the narrative... For me it broke immersion and left be a little confused.

As for the area design, it's not that great at all... It's a reskin of Dor Amarth, a zone which personally I felt a little generic to begin with... Even with that said, Mordor Besieged has no where near as much atmosphere as either the High Elf introduction (basically part of the same area if you think about it) or Dor Amarth itself... The expansion was probably rushed a little and it shows.

Unfortunately, Mordor Besieged has to be one of my least favourite zones also. It is told as a story and your character isn't actually involved in it, which to me personally lessens the impact of the story. We know how this battle goes anyway, they didn't have to drum up the tension because there isn't much to begin with in the first place... And as rightly said before, the entire zone should feel more different, the only changes I've distinctly noticed are enemy placements and entire ruins being turned into forts, but even then there isn't much to speak of... If you've been to Dor Amarth, you've seen all of this before.

On the bright side, if you're just following the epics, it doesn't keep you there for too long, but the fact that a good portion of the expansion can pretty much be summed up as a reskin of an area in Mordor, it doesn't really play off as well made.

Again... Good concept, not so great implementation.
    -Askelin: 120 Warden who has a bear for a wife.
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    Purveyors of premium meats since 26/12/17

___You will stand there and take it!___

Sorry. Have to disagree here. Was it perfect? No... but I loved every minute of it. I ate it up and couldn't get enough of it. I was sad and didn't want it to end. None of the items in the OP bother me much or took away from the experience. Maybe it was just the lore fanboy in me but I loved it.

I certainly enjoyed Mordor Besieged as well, taking my second toon through it now and am enjoying it even more.

But..... I must indeed say that it left a lot to be desired. I certainly understand WHY an additional zone was needed, as they simply needed the amount of quests and diversity to make Minas Morgul the end-game hub area for levels 125-130, basically using Mordor Besieged to level to about 124/125 or so.

I like the idea of going back to the 2nd Age and telling different story lines, and with the upcoming TV series that is set in the 2nd age, I think this zone is more or less a "test" as to what may be to come in the future. MadeOfLions certainly did his best in telling the stories, and it is not easy to fit it inside a game..... but I was expecting a little more. There is noticeable graphics recycling happening, and although some of it is completely logical (such as milestones, mailboxes, and things that wouldn't have changed anyways) you would think that some things HAD to have been different spanning 3,000 years of history.

I realize they only have so many resources, and they are doing the best they can with the money they have coming in and the developers they have, but where I found Minas Morgul to be excellently done, and a fantastic part of the expansion..... I found Mordor Besieges a little lacking. I think they could have done a little more to set it apart.

But as any new content goes, I am enjoying it.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

It is good to remember that we were there through the grace of a memory, and that devs done what they can withing the rights they have. Sure, things can be endlessly improved, but I still loved it. Actually it has been years since I was excited that much. Epic company plus couple of old characters, quests, stories are getting connected and coming to conclusion. There are other things that are bothering me, but story and landscape are definitely not one of them.

One point about events in recent plot developments (and I mean over the last couple of years): far too many major enemy characters have been going down like ninepins after the briefest and most unconvincing of fights. Yes, I know, many of them live to come back another day. It's still a dubious plot strategy which has definitely been worked to death; please stop using it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast