We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

After the War/Unfinished Tales - Episodic Quest Series

In the aftermath of the War of the Ring, much has changed for the peoples of Middle Earth - in particular for those that were involved in the fighting in Rohan and Gondor. Lots of characters have died, while others have survived but lost much. These are characters that we have spent a great deal of time with and as such, it would be interesting (and would give closure to their stories) to find out what happened to them/their family/their lands after the war - and I think a series of episodic quests would be a good way to present this story, as it wouldn’t have to tie into any of the expansions/updates, etc. (However, you may not be able to use the Unfinished Tales as a name for it, to avoid the ire of the Tolkien Estate!)

Based on the thread ‘The members of the Grey Company and their fates’, which I and others have contributed towards, there are three main groups which these quests could explore (although that’s not to say that they should be limited to this - Corudan may be a good candidate for an episodic quest or two, for example).

These groups are:
    - The Grey Company (and the northern Dúnedain more broadly)
    - The lords of the Rohirrim
    - The lords of Gondor

I should stress I haven’t yet completed the second chapter of the new expansion, so don’t know if any of these questions have already been answered (and don’t want to know, for the moment!), but these quests could explore the answers to some of the following questions and more, with potential episodes for each of the surviving members, and some reflecting on those that died:
    - What happened to Amarion, who got lost around the Gap of Rohan?
    - Did Saeradan ever make it safely make to the north?
    - Did Radanir visit the Forsaken Inn, or ever meet his Elvish lover again?
    - Has Lothrandir ever recovered from the torments of Isengard?
    - Does Mincham ever find peace?
    - Which of the Grey Company stayed to support Aragorn in Gondor/Mordor, and who returned to Eriador?
    - What happens to Corunir after the war?
    - How has the deaths of Halbarad, Calenglad, Candaith etc changed things in Eriador, and how are they remembered?
    - What does Langlas do with Celairant’s sword following his death?

With the Rohirrim and the Gondorians, the questions focus more on what happens following the deaths of important people in each zone. The Battles of the Pelennor Fields and the Black Gate saw many important individuals killed and Eomer and Aragorn will need to change the leadership of their realms as a result. Each quest could focus on a region (e.g. the Sutcrofts, looking at the impact of the death of Gisil at Hytbold and Fastred at Minas Tirith or the Blackfoot Vale after the deaths of Derufin and Duilin) - I can go on with examples (Wildermore, the Wold, Lossarnach, etc etc), but there is clearly lots of viable ideas here - some of which could even lead on to further landscape (Hirluin and Pinneth Gelin, or Golasgil and Anfalas, for example).

I know that some tales may not yet be finished (particularly those of the dwarves in the north, so I’ve not included them here) and some characters might be being reserved for future content - so by all means, don’t put in quests for them (resolving Saeradan, for example, might have to wait until the Scouring of the Shire). However, hopefully you can see the potential of these quests and the nostalgic value for players, as well as continuing to craft meaningful stories and develop the world of Middle Earth, which is such a speciality of SSG.
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts

totally agree for your proposal of episodic content!!!!
    signed!!!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and leading Steward atm, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by Valakircka View Post
    totally agree for your proposal of episodic content!!!!
    signed!!!
    Thanks! I was thinking that this might also be interesting (in a different way) in relation to the individual stories of the various hobbits that we encountered in the Shire quest lines, and how they adapted to the Sharkey-ruled Shire. We know that the Tooks and some other key players resisted, but what did the others do? However, that may have to wait for the Scouring of the Shire.

If anyone else has ideas about what they think would be a good story or loose end to tie up, please do suggest it!
    - Taravan, R12 Captain - Tirian, Tanking Guardian - Telperon, Completionist LM -
    - Afranius, R9 WL - Tolobain, R7 Weaver - Vargan, R6 Stalker -

Ex-Leader of Lost Realm of Imladris - Evernight - Co-Founder of Beauty and the Beasts