We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

A series of (serious) questions for SSG

I'd like to ask SSG a number of questions. The intent of this post is solely to get some information from SSG, and perhaps Cordovan, SSGRedPanda and MadeOfLions would want to answer some of them as a gesture of information to the community. I do not want this thread to become a trollfest in which people are slinging mud at each other, the intent here is to have a civilized discussion about some of the issues we, the players are facing.

The questions:

1) - The Legendary Item "Catch Up" store item has generally speaking not been very well received. It helps those that have Valared a character to 120, and that wants to pay to get the bulk of their Legendary item grinding out of the way, but to many it just looks like the underlying problem of legendary items can be "fixed" with money. That said however, the package contains some items that would lighten the murderous legendary grind, with 5-count and 10-count Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment. The question: Will these 5-count and 10-count Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment be made available in the game at some point, e.g. as a possible chest reward in instances, or quite possibly a festival reward similar to the Star-Lit Crystal?

2) - The Legendary Item grind in general is a long an tedious process, and there aren't a lot of methods in the game to gain Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment. The easiest method right now is to run the Minas Tirith dailies, which can get you roughly 7 scrolls. With some other dailies and epic battles, you might be able to get 10 scrolls in total in 2-3 hours worth of work, which is not a lot considering you need hundreds and hundreds of scrolls to make your weapon worth anything. Many players (such as healers, but also guardians with both a 1h and 2h option) have to level up 3 or 4 Legendary Items. The Question: Will SSG add more ways to get single Anfalas Scrolls of Empowerment, such as perhaps from the White Company barterer?

3) - Last question on the Legendary Items: Can SSG reveal a little something as to how the progress is going on the Legendary Item Revamp?

4) - Many players were caught by surprise when transfers were disabled. We know that this is because of SQL Server software upgrades, but right after that was done Minas Morgul was released, and there have been a number of players I have encountered so far on Arkenstone that have returned to the game after years of absence to play again.... and had their original characters on one of the old servers that no longer exist. As the transfer mechanism is currently disabled, these players cannot get back their old characters, and they have been waiting to get their old characters back. The Question: Can SSG give us an update as to when the new, refreshed transfer system will return?

5) - A question for MadeOfLions, probably: Several years ago it was mentioned that SSG (perhaps it was still Turbine then) would like to tell the story of the "Scouring of the Shire" at some point. The Question: Is this still something that is planned? And if so, would it be part of the "Black Book of Mordor", or would we see a return to the old Epic Book quest line, as it was indeed part of the original books?

6) - A question about the 2nd age: With Minas Morgul, we saw the game going back in time to the Second Age with Mordor Besieged, which told some important lore stories of that era. Also thinking about the to-be-released Amazon television series that is set in the Second Age, the question: Will SSG make more of these back in time zones to tell the stories of the Second Age and/or other historical, perhaps pre-book timelines?

7) - A store question: I have, and perhaps others have too, logged on to Anor first and received my crafting carry alls there. Not soon after, I decided to play back on Arkenstone to experience the new expansion. The Question: Will the crafting carry-alls be made available for purchase at some point so we can get them on other servers, or buy a larger version?

8) - Producers Letter: Finally, one last question: Will we be getting a Producer's Letter for 2020?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Me waiting for answers

Laergwend (Mini) - member of Legacy - Ithil

Laergwend (Mini) - CSC member and avid grouper - Gladden

Excellent post with some very good questions, hopefully we will get some answers.
    “And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the ring passed out of all knowledge.”
    ? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

5. The Black Book of Mordor concluded in Minas Morgul. This was confirmed by MoL in an earlier thread. Whether or not it will go back to Epics or they start another book like BBoM, is anyone's guess. Though, they did say that the Epic's' were only on pause when BBoM hit, so that should mean, they will resume at some point.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    7) - A store question: I have, and perhaps others have too, logged on to Anor first and received my crafting carry alls there. Not soon after, I decided to play back on Arkenstone to experience the new expansion. The Question: Will the crafting carry-alls be made available for purchase at some point so we can get them on other servers, or buy a larger version?
    Additional question to that: Will crafting carry alls available in the shop for points or only in combination with buying shop points like the task items carry-all?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    5. The Black Book of Mordor concluded in Minas Morgul. This was confirmed by MoL in an earlier thread. Whether or not it will go back to Epics or they start another book like BBoM, is anyone's guess. Though, they did say that the Epic's' were only on pause when BBoM hit, so that should mean, they will resume at some point.
    That makes perfect sense, I just didn't remember all the details... I thought there was room for more, but as we have gotten the final black book housing item at the end of book 14, I suppose that's it.

That does beg the question if we will go back to the book to finish the Scouring of the Shire, or whether Lotro as a whole will now focus on the 2nd age to be in line with the new series coming..... I would think it is a good strategy to align the game with the series, even though a new MMO is being made as well....
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

That makes perfect sense, I just didn't remember all the details... I thought there was room for more, but as we have gotten the final black book housing item at the end of book 14, I suppose that's it.

That does beg the question if we will go back to the book to finish the Scouring of the Shire, or whether Lotro as a whole will now focus on the 2nd age to be in line with the new series coming..... I would think it is a good strategy to align the game with the series, even though a new MMO is being made as well....
    Well, I was kinda hoping we'd see Gundabad and some other areas of the story. But it won't surprise me if they latch onto the 2nd age era for a bit too.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

5) - A question for MadeOfLions, probably: Several years ago it was mentioned that SSG (perhaps it was still Turbine then) would like to tell the story of the "Scouring of the Shire" at some point. The Question: Is this still something that is planned? And if so, would it be part of the "Black Book of Mordor", or would we see a return to the old Epic Book quest line, as it was indeed part of the original books?
    The black book of Mordor ended with Minas morgul, also The scouring of the shire will happen at some point, MoL said this back in February and we've only had 2 updates since this, so more adventures still i think.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    There are plenty of adventures still to have before we get there!

MoL
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

I'm hoping the blue names see these questions today
    -----

Good luck with this. I am not optimistic for answers. I think we have our answers with the past year of mechanics and the store-only cherry on top.

I don't blame the devs. I assume this is not what they want. I believe this is the mandate from those who sign their paychecks.

The devs/CM might be allowed to answer these questions, but even then they won't want to, because they know all too well that the only answers they could give are bad news confirming our disappointment.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    My completely amateurish often-LotRO Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/moondog548

Great questions maartena but they seem pretty averse to detailing any future plans they have for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post
    Good luck with this. I am not optimistic for answers. I think we have our answers with the past year of mechanics and the store-only cherry on top.

I don't blame the devs. I assume this is not what they want. I believe this is the mandate from those who sign their paychecks.

The devs/CM might be allowed to answer these questions, but even then they won't want to, because they know all too well that the only answers they could give are bad news confirming our disappointment.
    I'm a product owner in a commercial development environment, and I understand some of their reluctance. No matter how hard you caveat, add nuance, or frame something as a forecast rather than a commitment, it always seems to be treated like an actual, contractual commitment once it's out there. And that creates a bunch of unnecessary noise and stress for the team which is a distraction (and waste of time) when all is said and done.

That said, the trick with being a good PO (similar to a Producer in video game lingo) is balancing the point I made above against the other extreme - which is total radio silence. There is not a silver bullet solution to any of this, but it starts with communication.

Let's take the character transfers topic, using a step-by-step flow for how they could be communicating with the player base:

a) Cordovan mentioned on the stream that the team was working on them, and on a plan for reactivating them. It would have been helpful to have a blue name post that in one of the numerous threads here as well. They don't have to necessarily specify the plan yet in the first response. But acknowledgment that it's being worked is what is helpful here.

b) They should consider adopting a model that uses terms like "forecasts" instead of planned, targeted, etc. that are the traditional terms used in IT. For example, "we don't forecast transfers being available before [Q1 2020, Jan 2020, next week - whatever time period they are comfortable with, starting very zoomed out]". People are used to weather forecasts, including that they're usually not 100% correct. Framed correctly, the majority of the player population would follow and understand.

c) Once they're closer to having the work done, they can change the lingo to targeted, committed, planned, or whatever term they want.

From my observations, right now SSG waits until Step C before communicating anything (and that is usually on Bullroarer or in release notes). I understand their reasoning, but I don't necessarily agree with it 100%. To me, there is more risk in total radio silence than there is in communicating using the patterns outlined above. Yes, the player base needs to maturely accept that some forecasts will be off. But to me, dealing with that fallout is less risky to the future of LOTRO than adopting a stance of almost total radio silence.

P.S. - I'm not a fan of ESO, but their approach to the performance improvements work they're doing is a much better model IMO - see https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/e...ews/post/56681. And that work is much larger than what we're talking about in comparison to something like legendary grind or character transfers.
    Aldosi - Ithil; Aldowine - Arkenstone; Aldogost - Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post

It's a common attitude amongst development teams, and not without some foundational logic given the general public's lack of understanding on how the development cycle actually works (e.g. common to hear that they need to spend time fixing bugs before a release, but no one wants to accept that fixing Bug #1 might introduce Bug #2, or worse, Bugs #2,3, and 5. It's the harsh reality of the situation).

But I do think that this day in age some flexibility on this point is warranted. If not a roadmap with forecasted dates, then perhaps a list of upcoming changes, features, etc. in prioritized order - refreshed at whatever interval they want.

I'm not with SSG but, #4 is a No, they won't be able to give any kind of timeline on Char transfers returning and Item Transfers is just plain up in the air. As for #8 Don't bother asking, but If we do get one check back in March and it will probably be out by then.
    Footman Ryvick DonHuntstead 120 Guardian

Officer of Baruk Khazad

Arkenstone Server

Quote Originally Posted by JH15547 View Post
    I'm a product owner in a commercial development environment, and I understand some of their reluctance. No matter how hard you caveat, add nuance, or frame something as a forecast rather than a commitment, it always seems to be treated like an actual, contractual commitment once it's out there. And that creates a bunch of unnecessary noise and stress for the team which is a distraction (and waste of time) when all is said and done.
    Yeah I do agree with this.... They can say that they are "planning" for something to happen, but if those plans change for whatever totally logical and acceptable reason, there is going to be a group of people that will get out the torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers and go: "You promised! You promised! Thou shalt be tarred and feathered! BURN!" - And that is completely unfair to the devs, who might have had great plans in Q1, but are realizing by Q2 it's not going to work all that well in the game and change the plans in a manner so they will.

That said: some of the questions certainly CAN be answered, so I do hope that the SSG folks will answer some of these.

Thanks!
    -----

Yeah I do agree with this.... They can say that they are "planning" for something to happen, but if those plans change for whatever totally logical and acceptable reason, there is going to be a group of people that will get out the torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers and go: "You promised! You promised! Thou shalt be tarred and feathered! BURN!" - And that is completely unfair to the devs, who might have had great plans in Q1, but are realizing by Q2 it's not going to work all that well in the game and change the plans in a manner so they will.

That said: some of the questions certainly CAN be answered, so I do hope that the SSG folks will answer some of these.

Thanks!
    Agreed. I think they're "over-indexed" on the pitchfork & torches crowd. IMO, the lack of clear communication on critical issues (character transfers and legendary grind especially) is undermining the confidence of those of us who are inclined to sympathize with their predicament and see things from their perspective. And willing to put $$$ behind that when necessary. To me, that is the greater risk to LOTRO than the usual antics of a small subset of the player base.

That said, the trick with being a good PO (similar to a Producer in video game lingo) is balancing the point I made above against the other extreme - which is total radio silence. There is not a silver bullet solution to any of this, but it starts with communication.

Let's take the character transfers topic, using a step-by-step flow for how they could be communicating with the player base:

a) Cordovan mentioned on the stream that the team was working on them, and on a plan for reactivating them. It would have been helpful to have a blue name post that in one of the numerous threads here as well. They don't have to necessarily specify the plan yet in the first response. But acknowledgment that it's being worked is what is helpful here.

b) They should consider adopting a model that uses terms like "forecasts" instead of planned, targeted, etc. that are the traditional terms used in IT. For example, "we don't forecast transfers being available before [Q1 2020, Jan 2020, next week - whatever time period they are comfortable with, starting very zoomed out]". People are used to weather forecasts, including that they're usually not 100% correct. Framed correctly, the majority of the player population would follow and understand.

c) Once they're closer to having the work done, they can change the lingo to targeted, committed, planned, or whatever term they want.

From my observations, right now SSG waits until Step C before communicating anything (and that is usually on Bullroarer or in release notes). I understand their reasoning, but I don't necessarily agree with it 100%. To me, there is more risk in total radio silence than there is in communicating using the patterns outlined above. Yes, the player base needs to maturely accept that some forecasts will be off. But to me, dealing with that fallout is less risky to the future of LOTRO than adopting a stance of almost total radio silence.

P.S. - I'm not a fan of ESO, but their approach to the performance improvements work they're doing is a much better model IMO - see https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/e...ews/post/56681. And that work is much larger than what we're talking about in comparison to something like legendary grind or character transfers.
    It's a common attitude amongst development teams, and not without some foundational logic given the general public's lack of understanding on how the development cycle actually works (e.g. common to hear that they need to spend time fixing bugs before a release, but no one wants to accept that fixing Bug #1 might introduce Bug #2, or worse, Bugs #2,3, and 5. It's the harsh reality of the situation).

But I do think that this day in age some flexibility on this point is warranted. If not a roadmap with forecasted dates, then perhaps a list of upcoming changes, features, etc. in prioritized order - refreshed at whatever interval they want.
    Thanks for sharing your insights!

I have to be clear, however, I wasn't being metaphorical about them having bad answers. I mean that (I believe) they don't even have news of so much as good INTENTIONS in future development, because their management is directing development the other way. So they keep quiet because the don't even have optimism to share.

That said, while I acknowledge the sad reality of the "torches and pitchfork" crowd, I think their actual significance is being vastly over emphasized in general. The fact that someone will always complain is not an excuse for ANY professional institution to be too shy doing their job. And I don't mean that bit as a direct response to your posts; you're rightfully raising the issue. l I just don't think it needs more consideration than it needs, and that certainly doesn't come anywhere near justifying a lack of... well at least the level of diligence in communication that you've already spelled out!

EDIT: oop! Just so... ;-}
    Agreed. I think they're "over-indexed" on the pitchfork & torches crowd. IMO, the lack of clear communication on critical issues (character transfers and legendary grind especially) is undermining the confidence of those of us who are inclined to sympathize with their predicament and see things from their perspective. And willing to put $$$ behind that when necessary. To me, that is the greater risk to LOTRO than the usual antics of a small subset of the player base.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    My completely amateurish often-LotRO Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/moondog548

A question for MadeOfLions, probably: Several years ago it was mentioned that SSG (perhaps it was still Turbine then) would like to tell the story of the "Scouring of the Shire" at some point. The Question: Is this still something that is planned? And if so, would it be part of the "Black Book of Mordor", or would we see a return to the old Epic Book quest line, as it was indeed part of the original books?
    I'd like to see the Scouring sometime, but we're in no hurry. We have plenty of adventures lined up before we start sending hobbits home, and thanks to the use of the Pause Button (which we haven't been shy about using: how long did it take us to cover the end of 3018?) it's definitely not imminent.

But the Black Book of Mordor is wrapped up. New adventures will probably be a separate volume of stories, and also I'm always interested in experimental ways of telling stories, so maybe we'll come up with something else entirely. I'm always on the lookout for Something New.

A question about the 2nd age: With Minas Morgul, we saw the game going back in time to the Second Age with Mordor Besieged, which told some important lore stories of that era...Will SSG make more of these back in time zones to tell the stories of the Second Age...?
    Is there interest in more historical zones? I really enjoyed designing and playing in the space of Mordor Besieged, so if you guys want to see more back-in-time areas just let us know! I'm curious if you like the way we positioned Mordor Besieged, or if you'd be willing to relax some of the restrictions a bit: in some cases it might be a little harder to say "Oh, there was a Hobbit/Dwarf/Elf at this time, same as you," and easier to say "Well, there was a Guardian, and although you might be a hobbit, we all know there wasn't *really* a hobbit there at this time."

Just curious what you all think.

MoL

Is there interest in more historical zones? I really enjoyed designing and playing in the space of Mordor Besieged, so if you guys want to see more back-in-time areas just let us know! I'm curious if you like the way we positioned Mordor Besieged, or if you'd be willing to relax some of the restrictions a bit: in some cases it might be a little harder to say "Oh, there was a Hobbit/Dwarf/Elf at this time, same as you," and easier to say "Well, there was a Guardian, and although you might be a hobbit, we all know there wasn't *really* a hobbit there at this time."

MoL
    I wouldn't mind a little relaxing of the rules to tell good stories. After all, not all good stories are historically accurate. MoL has never disappointed me, and I trust you to treat it with care.

MoL
    Mordor Besieged was definitely the best part of the expansion. The large open space it takes place in was a breath of fresh air and I tend to enjoy neatly packed stories. It reminded me a bit of Wildermore in that sense.

This is a strange question to ask. It almost sounds like you have something in mind but it's a little problematic. I'm afraid you'll need to get creative. As someone who plays the game as an MMO first and a LotR game second, I don't need you to be air-tight about the lore. Most people here will probably cut you some slack. However, there will always be a few who just won't. I have a lot of criticism to say about the game, but making lore choices and deciding on how compliant they should be with Tolkien, I leave that up to you, because that's something I would never claim to "know better".
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

MoL[/QUOTE]

Im down for actual old Moria pre balrog and post balrog,
    Eregion in its glory days.
    Annunminas/Fornost glory days now Minas Morgul
    Settling of Shire like 1000 T.A during the Scouring of the Shire

Quote Originally Posted by Aethilods View Post

I'd very much like these things. When I am travelling around the Lotro world, I am always wondering "How have these ruins looked in their bright days?" and I am feeling a bit sad about the decay that is visible everywhere. I would very much like the opportunity to see how these sites looked some thousand years ago. <3
    There's some good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

Mordor Besieged was done really well.

Logically it should have been like session play where when you are done you have not gained any loot or xp (other than quest reward) but from a gameplay perspective this way was far better. Especially since it was such a large potion of the new content,

MoL
    Mordor Besieged was incredible! The banners of the various armies (though planting them in very specific, very inconvenient places around the zone multiple times got kind of tedious) and Celebrimbor's beard alone were worth the price of admission for the xpac.

I would love to see similar historical zones. You could redo a few Eriador areas as Old Arnor and show some of the history around Fornost, Annuminas, and Angmar. The founding of Gondor in the Second Age might be fun. Rohirrim and Hobbits in the early Vales of Anduin.

But don't put off the Scouring too long. After the royal wedding that you prefaced in the Vales, that's the next big event that we're all looking forward to. I can't wait to see the instanced Shire ransacked.
    Arda Shrugged - Elendilstone / Landroval / Anor

MoL
    I think Corey's sons will have to take up the mantle of poring into every nook and cranny of the game's architecture, lore, and tapestries at the rate you're going, MoL.

Personally, I think there should be a cooldown on telling past history stories beyond the occasional session play. Much like how you spaced out Mordor, sent us to northern Rhovanion for a few updates before coming back for Mordor II: Electric Boogaloo, it works better when it's not back to back. And we still don't know what happened in Rhun, and we want to see Khand and Harad, maybe kick some more Umbarim tails, and oh... um. Gundabad. As Sev once said... 'yes, there ARE a lot of orcs in Gundabad'. Time to call the Middle-earth equivalent of an exterminator.

Cheers!
    Insert some kind of witty or clever saying here, I guess, I dunno.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast