We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Lootbox Shenanigans & Tomfoolery

I left the game shortly after burning through the Mordor Expansion content and came back recently for the Minas Morgul Expansion. Can someone please explain to me what happened while I was away to result in this?

https://imgur.com/a/uQ2bK2E

After doing just the Introduction and Epic Quests Volume 1 Books 1-2, my inventory is now full of nothing but Traveler's Steel-bound Lootboxes. I call SHENANIGANS on the drop-rate! Before I left you'd find only one Lootbox every day or so but now they drop from literally every other trash mob (50% drop-rate, RLY?). This is beyond ridiculous. Is this the new reality for Middle-Earth: Lootbox Simulator 2020? Seriously, what happened to this game in the past two years?

Someone mentioned to me on Reddit that you can now filter Loot. I guess that is an option. Although TBH this is a Developer design issue as they should be made stackable and vendorable if the drop-rate is going to remain being set as high as it is. It's not just QoL to expect as much but a fundamental design philosophy (otherwise you get exactly what is shown in the screen above after 2 days of play for every new player which should never be intentional design under any circumstance). Honestly can say that this isn't a good first impression coming back.
    Last edited by TsarithArcher; Dec 01 2019 at 03:16 PM.
    ~NOST CORUFAER~
    An all Elven Kinship, perfecting
    [Prized Pie] since the Dawn of the Second Age...only on Elendilmir.
    "It began with a leaf caught in the wind..."

As keys are only available in the store, they want to force you to spend money. On every new expansion and quest pack, they up the drops to try to suck down that money.

The best thing to do is to alt-r, then drag a lootbox to the panel. You'll stop getting them.

i find the drop rate same as it was in 1st mordor expansion.......
    but you r both right for the rest you r writting........
    the game building is great, the stories are fantastic creations, the lore is superb,
    but grinding and money sucking are sending players away.........
    i remember, we used to get tons of crafting items for all kind of proffecions!
    now we get 3rd age LIs and lootboxes..........

devs if you had dropped some cheese among the lootboxes,
    lets say 1% of them is a key dropped by mod, and in the box there is a 50% chance to find a SoE or a Star-lyt,
    i bet there would be MUCH MUCH less crying and cursing.....
    but you know better...........(sarcastic ofc).........

gonna write it for 1 more time .......
    when i buy something i expect i dont have to pay anything more for things they are included to my deal!
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by TsarithArcher View Post
    I left the game shortly after burning through the Mordor Expansion content and came back recently for the Minas Morgul Expansion. Can someone please explain to me what happened while I was away to result in this?

https://imgur.com/a/uQ2bK2E

After doing just the Introduction and Epic Quests Volume 1 Books 1-2, my inventory is now full of nothing but Traveler's Steel-bound Lootboxes.

This picture must be a joke. If you really "just done the introduction and epic 1 book 1-2", you will NEVER get SO many lootboxes. You picture shows hundreds of them. If you want to defame the game, you have to find a story which is more believable. And if this should be real, it has to be a bug or something else. I don't believe any word of your story.

Do yourself a favor... Filter them and never again see a lootbox filling up your inventory.
    The shortcut is "ALT+R". This will bring up the loot filter panel.

Simply drag the undesired item into the filtered/filtered (account) section to stop receiving these drops from mobs or chests in the future.

You can also filter quests (such as introductory quests for content you don't have so you don't have to constantly see 'new quests available' pop up every time you log in)
    You can even filter specific sound files from playing (don't like the fact your hobbit screams every 5 seconds? Would you rather eerie silence? Filter away!
    -Askelin: 120 Warden who has a bear for a wife.
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    Purveyors of premium meats since 26/12/17

___You will stand there and take it!___

Quote Originally Posted by Thurinuor View Post
    This picture must be a joke. If you really "just done the introduction and epic 1 book 1-2", you will NEVER get SO many lootboxes. You picture shows hundreds of them. If you want to defame the game, you have to find a story which is more believable. And if this should be real, it has to be a bug or something else. I don't believe any word of your story.
    Nope, I believe every word... It's 100% possible that he got that many lootboxes from playing the game for any amount of time.
    The drop rate really is that generous... If only there was a drop rate for black keys amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Askelin View Post
    Nope, I believe every word... It's 100% possible that he got that many lootboxes from playing the game for any amount of time.
    The drop rate really is that generous... If only there was a drop rate for black keys amirite?
    Black keys have been taken away 1 year ago. Instead of them we got the figments and ash vendors.

I have 10.000+ hours playtime in lotro and I never got so many lootboxes by playing the game for 2 hours. This thread is a troll thread and it never happend.

There were times while playing in Mordor that I would rarely get a Lootbox. Recently in Anduin I was destroying Travelers Loitboxes like crazy. Now in the current expansion I've been getting quite a few Adventurers Lootboxes. No where near the numbers shown by the OP. Exaggeration maybe, and I've been playing for 1 mill..., eh, 100 billion hours.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Drop rate is about 1 per 50 kills. That is on average and given lots of events and means 49 ways to fail for every one way to succeed. Do *not* forget the variance. OP's pic can happen, given a long 'lucky' streak. I've also seen long streaks of none to few drops. That said, the Traveller's boxes do not drop from mobs under level 20 or so; at least in my experience.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Nope OP is 100% right in his claim and I can prove it.

100% true and not edited