We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Housing Item: Milestone - Figments of Splendor - Win/Win SSG!

We already have the Visiting Banker and Barber. I'd like to suggest to implement a Housing Item: Milestone for the obvious functionality. I want to assume it's easily possible with current systems in place.

Couple suggestions:

for this item: change the current Milestone to a more Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Gondor type theme.

allow players to name it
    possible in addition, have a configuration that allows the owner to provide a link through mail to people. (this would be awesome! For like Haunted Houses. Parties and Masquerade Balls!)

...or whatever
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    We already have the Visiting Banker and Barber. I'd like to suggest to implement a Housing Item: Milestone for the obvious functionality. I want to assume it's easily possible with current systems in place.

Couple suggestions:

for this item: change the current Milestone to a more Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Gondor type theme.

allow players to name it
    possible in addition, have a configuration that allows the owner to provide a link through mail to people. (this would be awesome! For like Haunted Houses. Parties and Masquerade Balls!)

...or whatever
    There were some technical issues way back which meant people could abuse something and gain access to other players houeses and clean them out. I think that is why You no longer can even join an instance from Your neighbourhood, also You can not summon in there etc. I guess that would potentially be an issue with a milestones added in neightbourhoods too. Try summon someone in there, use a Guardian acorn etc. It does not work. You can summon someone out of there, just not into there. At least not last I tried. I don't think that has changed.

Thank you Mr. F.

The Milestone in game currently makes me believe it's a 'bound to a radius distance' around the Milestone object. I don't understand how that would affect permissions of a House (unless that's the bug) actually porting into the House. Instead, How about making it a 'Yard' item and porting to the x,y,z location. Maybe the Street location such as when you 'zone' into a Neighborhood. I still believe it would be a easy addition.
    'Ú-damdir.'
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West."

Quote Originally Posted by Palenen View Post
    Thank you Mr. F.

The Milestone in game currently makes me believe it's a 'bound to a radius distance' around the Milestone object. I don't understand how that would affect permissions of a House (unless that's the bug) actually porting into the House. Instead, How about making it a 'Yard' item and porting to the x,y,z location. Maybe the Street location such as when you 'zone' into a Neighborhood. I still believe it would be a easy addition.
    Some of the premium houses in Belfalas have an indoor area where you can place an outdoor housing item. Of course someone would have to be able to bind to the milestone before the house was locked up in order to exploit this.

Also, what happens to a character who binds to a milestone and later tries to port to it after the house has been reposessed. Do you end up in escrow?
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Some of the premium houses in Belfalas have an indoor area where you can place an outdoor housing item. Of course someone would have to be able to bind to the milestone before the house was locked up in order to exploit this.

Also, what happens to a character who binds to a milestone and later tries to port to it after the house has been reposessed. Do you end up in escrow?
    Hmm. That'd be an interesting question. I guess, with the milestone being out of bounds, you'd go to the racial starter area. I'd not want to be the crash test dummy to check it. ;p
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

I think... something like a house summoning-horn item would make more sense, where -you- port players who -you- have invited and want to come to your house This, I think, would hopefully get rid of the exploitation issue since it would depend on the inviting player to use the horn to bring friends over.

I do think that it would be good to have... the different milestone -appearances- for those unique looks in Gondor, Rohan, and other places as purely decorative items
    Phantion no longer has a character named Phantion in-game. He transferred to Landroval.

The idea behind transports and/or ports to houses has been discussed in the past, and there appear to be some technical difficulties in making that happen. The milestone is FIXED in the game, which means you transport to the same coordinates all the time, but in a housing neighborhood the milestone can be moved around, not only within the house itself but to another house in another zone/racial housing zone... or completely removed, which may cause people that have bound to that milestone to encounter errors.

A better way might be this:

1) Put a fixed milestone at all housing door entries - some already have one like the Elven housing area, others like the Shire or Thorins do not.

2) Change the housing broker in such a way that you can visit SOLD(owned) houses as well as houses that are still for sale. That way people can go to the housing broker by milestone, and then pick ANY ADDRESS to visit, and be transported to the entrance to the house just like it was for sale.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Each housing zone has a party planner npc. Maybe SSG could add porting to a fixed spot on housing zone via housing broker? Called for example party zone. This would allow visiting even filled up zones even if still needing to get to broker first.
    Always remember that you are unique, just like everybody else.