We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The problem isn't with customer service - they did exactly what the rules provide for. Customer service is not given discretion to force a new name when the violation is severe but to allow the player to pick one if the violation is other than severe.

Of course if they were given discretion the forums would be full of complaints about how they used it so the people that said "if you don't like the penalty don't violate the rules" do have somewhat of a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohdb View Post
    There was a guy on Gladden for a time called ThorinOakenButt for the longest time and he got a forced name change. I know he sent in a ticket but I think he spent the lp to change it back and it got changed on him again. Forgot the new name and cannot recall for the life of me what happened to him. We a pretty decent guy if I remember right.
    That's just asking for a ban to change it back same name that said no bad boy to the first time.

There are any number of things why a name is changed, i bet someone reported it for what ever reason... I never report for names unless its bad like a few weeks ago reported a level 14 for a name that was literally sexual... but the name posted here seems fine to me, i see no issue, but seems someone else did.
    Pontin Level 120 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Maradoc Hobbit Hunter. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's a guide to making ABC files and my Screenshots of Middle-Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Cakellene View Post
    That's just asking for a ban to change it back same name that said no bad boy to the first time.
    I think that may have been a result at one point but I know there was some drama involved where he was trying to find who had reported him but this would be last year maybe the year before? I forget, too often familiar names just vanish in the game and you never know what happened to them.
    "I am condescending, that means I talk down to you." Well just for those who go out of their way to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    A word or phrase can be funny to some, offensive to others. It can even be funny and offensive at the same time to the same person. I suspect Maartena is right, and somebody finally reported it. SSG doesn't have enough GM-power to scan continually over every character in every world; but if someone reports a name or an action, then they'll know about it and deal accordingly.
    Well said, and I suspect the same. The OP's name is "cheeky", and this may or may not cross the line for some, but it also does not accord with the naming conventions in this particular game which the GMs are duty-bound to uphold. No "ifs" "buts" or coconuts.

A kinmate similarly was given a rename after his character's surname was reported. Having used it twice, he changed the surname of a second toon before that was reported as well. The name was part of a brewing-related theme that ran through our kinship and was not (strictly speaking) offensive, unless you were aware of the Beavis and Butthead programme, which was first broadcasted in America years ago.

I still mourn the passing of the ########* Brothers, but I can see why they had to go.

*Relates to a hole in a barrel or cask for inserting a stopper, the latter known by a four-letter word begining with "b".

Quote Originally Posted by StoatMandible View Post
    I still mourn the passing of the ########* Brothers, but I can see why they had to go.

*Relates to a hole in a barrel or cask for inserting a stopper, the latter known by a four-letter word begining with "b".
    Hmmm. I think I can make a guess at the name you have censored, and I encountered it decades ago in a juvenile SF story by Robert A. Heinlein, The Rolling Stones, published in 1952.

The father of adolescent twins, annoyed by their being continually ... adolescent boys, with all that that entails, refers to a theory that boys should be raised in a barrel and fed through the ####-hole. At eighteen one takes a look at them and either lets them out or drives in the ####.

Yup, the filter censored it here too. And yet ... Heinlein was able to write it in the 1950s and get it serialized in Boy's Life (the official Boy Scout magazine) and then printed in book form by Scribner's, whose juvenile division was run by Alice Dalgliesh, a prude of the first water. One must assume that she either didn't know the word, or wasn't aware that it could be used as a scatological term ... and neither did the editor of Boy's Life. Heck, maybe it wasn't used as a scatological term back then! Heinlein was a U.S. Navy veteran and was presumably familiar with every kind of scatological language used in that noble organization.

Anyway.

Another prude of the first water in mid-century SF was Kay Tarrant, assistant to John W. Campbell, legendary editor of Astounding/Analog. Writers used to amuse themselves by seeing what they could sneak past her. I won't give any examples here.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Heinlein was a U.S. Navy veteran and was presumably familiar with every kind of scatological language used in that noble organization.
    Maybe Heinlein knew the naval pirate slang term for an eye splice as well.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Maybe Heinlein knew the naval pirate slang term for an eye splice as well.
    Maybe. He died in 1988 so we can't ask him.

Hmmm. I think I can make a guess at the name you have censored, and I encountered it decades ago in a juvenile SF story by Robert A. Heinlein, The Rolling Stones, published in 1952.

The father of adolescent twins, annoyed by their being continually ... adolescent boys, with all that that entails, refers to a theory that boys should be raised in a barrel and fed through the ####-hole. At eighteen one takes a look at them and either lets them out or drives in the ####.
    Looked this up on a lark. Turns out this line is from Mark Twain, who I assume Heinlein was quoting.

Being ignorant as I am of all the options for being obscene, I'm not clear why ####-hole is censored. Definition lookup reports, "An aperture through which a cask can be filled or emptied," which seems thematic.....

This is also scatalogical slang, possibly dating from Beavis and Butthead? Snerk.
    Last edited by Echoweaver; Dec 02 2019 at 12:34 AM.
    On Crickhollow: Wenslydale (Hobbit Burglar), Leolwyn (Woman Hunter)
    On Anor, Victory's Secret: Ardith Exhibitionaire (Woman Captain)
    Feel the Breeze! Naked Aventuring: http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthre...endary-servers

Quote Originally Posted by Moorsbane View Post
    What they actually mean is of course, we don't do politics, except for pandering to the needs of vocal minorities (ie identity politics). This is in effect the politics of wokeness and the political liberal left.
    Please provide one concrete example of SSG 'pandering to the needs of vocal minorities'.

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    Please provide one concrete example of SSG 'pandering to the needs of vocal minorities'.
    Brexit is a banned word, the EU is not.

Quote Originally Posted by OghranNasty View Post
    I know the thread he's talking about, and I agree with him. However, SSG has a policy against discussing forum moderation, so I cannot link or talk about the thread. I will not discuss it anymore than I already have.

Incomparable notions. One is an institution, a (more or less) objective thing, the other a political program, and a highly divisive one at that.
    By the the same logic: we can discuss Germany, but not the holocaust. And rightly so.

Oh man, A+ for originality... But alas...
    Makes me think if my creep "Bigshaft" will one day get namechanged... It's not really offensive but it's uncouth and seeing as GMs haven't got much better to do on somedays, you never know...

One of my friends once had a RP character called 'Sexwulf' or something along those lines. He is a giant nerd when it comes to Rohirrim and Anglo Saxon naming conventions, he didn't even consider that the word 'sex' could have had his character's name changed... But alas, it did... Much to everyone's amusement.

Let it be known that the most inappropriate names exist on creep characters, it's almost tradition at this point. Not naming names out of respect but I know at least 8 of them which could in theory be forcibly changed by a GM with nothing better to do.
    -Askelin: 120 Warden who has a bear for a wife.
    Leader of the Mitey Worriers (Laurelin)
    Purveyors of premium meats since 26/12/17

___You will stand there and take it!___

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    Looked this up on a lark. Turns out this line is from Mark Twain, who I assume Heinlein was quoting.
    Undoubtedly. Thanks for the research.

Quote Originally Posted by Askelin View Post
    Oh man, A+ for originality... But alas...
    Makes me think if my creep "Bigshaft" will one day get namechanged... It's not really offensive but it's uncouth and seeing as GMs haven't got much better to do on somedays, you never know...

One of my friends once had a RP character called 'Sexwulf' or something along those lines. He is a giant nerd when it comes to Rohirrim and Anglo Saxon naming conventions, he didn't even consider that the word 'sex' could have had his character's name changed... But alas, it did... Much to everyone's amusement.

Let it be known that the most inappropriate names exist on creep characters, it's almost tradition at this point. Not naming names out of respect but I know at least 8 of them which could in theory be forcibly changed by a GM with nothing better to do.
    Years and years ago when I played Star Wars Galaxies, our guild had a weaponsmith named Child Labor. So, whenever he made a blaster, it would say something like "Mark IV Blaster made by Child Labor". He eventually had to change his name, but not before he made a ton of weapons. I bought about 7 or 8 of them and hung them up on a wall in my house.

We laughed about that for a couple of years.

Could always try Evandar...

I had my name forcefully changed from Pewpewmidget to Brorcurg because of the same nonsense, although no one sent in a ticket.
    It was perfectly fine since 2013 on Windfola, Arkenstone and Crickhollow until the rename about 3 years ago.
    I renamed back to Pewpewmidget then the same GM renamed me to Nendruli in spite of me changing my name back.
    No one has anything against my name and everyone seems to like it, and it brings a chuckle to some faces along the way.
    I am convinced that the GM has a thing against me since they're the only GM that has negative responses to my tickets or presence online.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewmidget View Post
    I had my name forcefully changed from Pewpewmidget to Brorcurg because of the same nonsense, although no one sent in a ticket.
    It was perfectly fine since 2013 on Windfola, Arkenstone and Crickhollow until the rename about 3 years ago.
    I renamed back to Pewpewmidget then the same GM renamed me to Nendruli in spite of me changing my name back.
    No one has anything against my name and everyone seems to like it, and it brings a chuckle to some faces along the way.
    I am convinced that the GM has a thing against me since they're the only GM that has negative responses to my tickets or presence online.
    Political correctness I would bet. "Midget" these days is considered a derogatory term for people that in our real world have Dwarfism, or medical term of Achondroplasia. It is the "N-word" for people of small stature so to speak.

I wouldn't have anything against that name, and probably no one really would as the context in the game is that you are obviously a dwarf or hobbit..... But, someone that has Dwarfism might have complained, now its no longer OK, and as such.... you got renamed.

I guess rename it to "Pewpewshorty".
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Well... I can understand that. You can't really ban the letters "eu" bacause they are part of a whole load of possible name combinations. I have not tried to make a toon named "Europeanunion" or "European" with last name "Union".

Also, the word "Brexit" will invoke immediate political discussions among brits to the the same level as naming a character "ImpeachTrump". It's a pretty big political mess in Britain, and both sides are digging in their heels to a similar lengths as Republicans vs Democrats in the USA.... and I would bet a name like "ImpeachTrump" would be reported just as fast. Basically, Brexit and beforenamed Impeach names are "Loaded Troll Guns" that are going to cause trouble the minute they speak in /world.
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Hmmmm, seeing this post, I am beginning to wonder if my main, Farty, is now "living on borrowed name time" ...

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Political correctness I would bet. "Midget" these days is considered a derogatory term for people that in our real world have Dwarfism, or medical term of Achondroplasia. It is the "N-word" for people of small stature so to speak.

I wouldn't have anything against that name, and probably no one really would as the context in the game is that you are obviously a dwarf or hobbit..... But, someone that has Dwarfism might have complained, now its no longer OK, and as such.... you got renamed.

I guess rename it to "Pewpewshorty".
    There was a guy here in the forums once that threatened to report me for insulting hobbits, said racism was not allowed. This talk about midgets reminded me of that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Elquasso View Post
    Hmmmm, seeing this post, I am beginning to wonder if my main, Farty, is now "living on borrowed name time" ...
    Not until they implement the /fart emote in the game!
    -----

Brexit might be a banned word/subject, but then there's this to consider....

The price of Rampaging Bacon IS in jeopardy, as is its very availability, thanks to the excise tax that Breeland is pressuring Staddle with. It is coming to a head with Staddle actually considering separating from Breeland; they're referring to the measure as "Breexit".

Quote Originally Posted by Elquasso View Post

REPORTED !!!!

(but I might reconsider IF you agree to NOT report a certain female Elf named, "Flatulencia".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast