We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Guides on the Best Classes, Professions, and More

Hello everyone!

I have written a series of articles on different aspects of the game, from the strongest classes to the best professions. They are designed to help new players in deciding different things like what class to play and what professions to focus on. As a small disclaimer, these are all opinion pieces based on my own gameplay experience and research of other people's preferences. They are all listed below with a little synopsis of what they are.

[Top 15] Best LOTRO Addons Every Player Needs to Have
    When you're looking for something to enhance your gameplay, these plugins are a great option. They can give you some great UI improvements, some can give you a better map visual, and others can help your band perform their best.

[Top 5] LOTRO Best Solo Classes
    PvMP is a great way to test out your skills against other players. These classes are some of the best to solo with when fighting in PvMP and when questing.

[Top 5] LOTRO Best AoE Class
    There are some classes that excel at AoE damage and dish out damage to the surrounding enemies. These classes can be great in every aspect of the game, from questing to endgame raiding.

LOTRO Best Virtues for Every Class
    There are tons of great vitues to aid you throughout your time playing. There is at least one that is super helpful for each class, which is explained in the above article.

LOTRO Best Tank (Top 3 Tank Builds)
    Tanks are integral to raids. They are the ones who are taking all of the damage to keep the rest of the Fellowship safe from harm. Due to this, they are the ones who have to have high morale and defense to keep them in the fight.

LOTRO Best Professions (Ranked)
    Professions are needed to craft important gear for endgame content. As an added bonus, certain professions are perfect for giving you a hunk of gold through the auction house. This article ranks the professions based on usefulness.

LOTRO Best Class [Strongest and Weakest Classes Revealed]
    This article lists out the strongest classes based on attack power and survivability. They are great for weakening enemies with heavy damage and are tough to take down in a fight.

LOTRO Best Race for Every Class Build
    Every race in the game has some special stats that pair up well with certain classes. Of course, you can pair any race and class together, but sometimes the extra stat boost is a nice addition.

LOTRO Best Healers - Which Healer Class Outperforms?
    These are easily the best healers in the entire game. They have strong healing skills and are able to heal your Fellowship during hard raids.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions with these articles. I would love to get some feedback as this is my first foray into writing gaming articles.
    Last edited by Quintupledots; Nov 24 2019 at 01:10 PM.

Lots of helpful and well-organized articles. But you should trickle these out through various social media outlets to gradually build a following, rather than dumping them all at once. I think that's how it works in this era of snorplechats and instatweets.
    Last edited by Thurallor; Nov 24 2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

The guides are concise and to the point, which is a good thing.

For the add-ons, I know many people like the fewer the better and there is one that you have listed that isn't necessary at all. The Huge Bag. All someone needs to do is edit their inventory bag 1 and drag all the rows from the other bags into that first inventory bag. It is then basically The Huge Bag and without having to go through an add-on.

Also for the add-ons, you may want to list The Festival Buddy as it is very useful for those that do the festivals and since it is one of the easiest and quickest ways of getting crystals, more and more people are going back to doing them.

I didnt look at all of them.. its a big task that you set yourself upon with so many different topics

On add-ons: the main raiding ones are absent... Palantir, BuffBars, CombatAnalysis, even MouseFinder and PetCarousel (for LM). Besides HugeBag i think VirtueView and StableGuy are outdated too, since the new Virtue system happened and the Stables were added to Collections tab. If i had to recommend another one it would be LOTRO Companion, i dont use it but other players find It useful to build their toons.

On healers: i would invert the order between RK and Beorn, but im not an expert raid-leader to judge who I'd choose if it comes to those 2 classes. I think the RK revamp put it a very strong 2nd place
    Laergwend (Mini) - officer of Legacy - Ithil

Laergwend (Mini) - Back on the shelf again, with all my alts - Gladden

[Top 5] LOTRO Best Solo Classes in my opinion and with that order cause i play all of them except warden are:

1.Warden they do what champions do but they buffed up recently and they have more surviving capabilities.Also they run faster out of combat and they have fast travels like hunters.

2.Champions.If you want to agro a whole camp and kill it with 3 skills then go champ.Can hit mostly 8-10 targets but he can reach with some skills even 13.Personaly cause i have main champion i have done everything that can be soloed and not only with him and beleave me i love farming things and play solo a lot.

3.Guardians.They dont have so much damage like wardens and champions but can survive more beating.Very good choice for solo ettens in my opinion.

4.Rks.Before Yellow rk got buffed i would give 4 place to hunters but now Rks got that place cause their mobile stance is stronger than hunters.Red Rk is a bit boring for solo cause of the inductions,before Yellow line buffed up i wouldnt even put them on this list i would prefer Minstrel instead.They die easy but they can hit hard and run while in yellow making the class a good choice for solo.Also they have nice healing and defensive abilities.

5.Hunters.They hit hard and run in blue but harder while they in Red.Also those fast travels and the +% run speed out of combat are very useful.

Open world solo play questing PVE and PVP are two different things.For PVP i would say Wardens-Guardians-(Champions)-RKs-Hunters with that order.Champions at the moment are a bit under power at single target so its not the best choice for 1vs 1 and they drop at 5th place but hopefully they will buff up soon and then they will have again the third place fo sure.

PS:We forget the burglars but i hate them so i dint mention them at all :P They are great class for solo tho and maybe the top at the moment for PVP along with Wardens.
    Last edited by Arandour; Jan 22 2020 at 08:31 PM.
    Arandour Champion Rank 12-Nerien Hunter rank 11-Runendir RK Rank 7
    Kinship PRIME-Evernight Since May 2007
    Borzol R12-Mauhnakh R9-Varcolac R9-Sumnor R8-Orcapo R8 (Creep status retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Raegaen View Post
    For the add-ons, I know many people like the fewer the better and there is one that you have listed that isn't necessary at all. The Huge Bag. All someone needs to do is edit their inventory bag 1 and drag all the rows from the other bags into that first inventory bag. It is then basically The Huge Bag and without having to go through an add-on.
    As an avid user of HugeBag, this is just not true.

HugeBag has a sort bags function, a merge function to merge multiple small stacks of an item together, and also allows you to search inventory of alts as well as your shared storage anywhere you are. It also allows to bcustomize the look of your inventory window to be less obtrusive (ie. no orders is possible). You are limiting it to just one of its features.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintupledots View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have written a series of articles on different aspects of the game, from the strongest classes to the best professions. They are designed to help new players in deciding different things like what class to play and what professions to focus on. As a small disclaimer, these are all opinion pieces based on my own gameplay experience and research of other people's preferences. They are all listed below with a little synopsis of what they are.

[Top 15] Best LOTRO Addons Every Player Needs to Have
    When you're looking for something to enhance your gameplay, these plugins are a great option. They can give you some great UI improvements, some can give you a better map visual, and others can help your band perform their best.

[Top 5] LOTRO Best Solo Classes
    PvMP is a great way to test out your skills against other players. These classes are some of the best to solo with when fighting in PvMP and when questing.

[Top 5] LOTRO Best AoE Class
    There are some classes that excel at AoE damage and dish out damage to the surrounding enemies. These classes can be great in every aspect of the game, from questing to endgame raiding.

LOTRO Best Virtues for Every Class
    There are tons of great vitues to aid you throughout your time playing. There is at least one that is super helpful for each class, which is explained in the above article.

LOTRO Best Tank (Top 3 Tank Builds)
    Tanks are integral to raids. They are the ones who are taking all of the damage to keep the rest of the Fellowship safe from harm. Due to this, they are the ones who have to have high morale and defense to keep them in the fight.

LOTRO Best Professions (Ranked)
    Professions are needed to craft important gear for endgame content. As an added bonus, certain professions are perfect for giving you a hunk of gold through the auction house. This article ranks the professions based on usefulness.

LOTRO Best Class [Strongest and Weakest Classes Revealed]
    This article lists out the strongest classes based on attack power and survivability. They are great for weakening enemies with heavy damage and are tough to take down in a fight.

LOTRO Best Race for Every Class Build
    Every race in the game has some special stats that pair up well with certain classes. Of course, you can pair any race and class together, but sometimes the extra stat boost is a nice addition.

LOTRO Best Healers - Which Healer Class Outperforms?
    These are easily the best healers in the entire game. They have strong healing skills and are able to heal your Fellowship during hard raids.

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions with these articles. I would love to get some feedback as this is my first foray into writing gaming articles.
    I appreciate the effort you put in writing these. I also have to say (and I think you admitted it on Reddit even!) that these are badly researched. And I would discourage especially new players from reading these because they will be better off not having their decisions informed by the weakly researched, personal opinions with clickbaity titles you present. It is a shame really because you could have spent the time writing one well researched guide and the community would have been much better off for it.

Just some examples of what is misrepresenting aspects of the game or showing misleading/confusing information:
    - you are linking to lotro-guru for Champion, a site that has not been updated since 2010, so nine years outdated
    - the list of AoE classes is far off from reality at 130 and also lower level gameplay, where Burglar and Rune-Keeper are the top AoE classes you want in content currently
    - the addons lists outdated addons like VirtueView (no longer needed or helpful at all since Virtue Xp was introduced) and not really must haves like BandAid (only a small percentage of players plays music ingame)
    - the virtue guide is I think meant as not a gameplay guide but a lore guide? it is just a list of the 9 classes and 9 virtues focusing more on not repeating the virtues rather than the virtue matching what the class needs for gameplay
    - the best classes guide is especially misleading, burglar is one of the strongest classes now while you have it at D Tier
    - best races gives very very weak arguments for choices, where the race traits are actually what impacts gameplay the most, not starting race bonuses - for example 5% bow damage for elves who are he best hunters, 5% dagger damage for hobbits makes them the best burglars and more
    - Beorning is the best class for the Beorning race? really?

The Site has for me far to much adds. You chose nice pictures that get let the article shine.
    The form looks nice, but content is unconvincingly (have to look for that word in eng.).

I do not want to blame, but i think it would be better when someone concentrate on one or few classes with stronger know how of it. I wrote also Guides for Classes and Instances and know how much time you need. You scratch only at the surface and often with many mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintupledots
    6. HunterAgility is the best stat for a Hunter

Hunters need Agility above any other stat, which directly increases your evade and parry abilities, your critical hit chance, and your ranged weapon damage. As a Hunter primarily uses a bow, Agility helps make the bow’s attack much more deadly. Having increased Resistance along with the high damage will make you very effective during endgame raids.

Best Virtue for Hunter: Determination

• Agility is the first bonus with this Virtue, increasing your evasion and parrying abilities and your damage output
    • Physical and Tactical Mastery revs up your damage for more powerful attacks
    • Extra critical hit potential allows for a higher possibility of a successful critical hit

I use the Cut of you hunters Guide, as it is the most played class in the game. an Bold the "Specials".

Quote Originally Posted by Quintupledots
    Best Classes for Dwarf:

Guardian - The increased might and in-combat regeneration help make the Guardian a great class to play. Having a shield half-the-size of your character is always a fun addition.
    Champion - Might and AoE are complementary to each other. Having increased Might means stronger damage output and lower incoming damage. Champions are known for their strong attacks and with increased regeneration, this means a higher chance of survival.
    I liked Champions, and do even play a Dwarf Champion (@75) But the Animation is slower as of other races, so a Dwarven will do less damage as an other one of same player skill level.

Incoming heal is over powered, so a Man Guadian will be the better get healed tank.

The Best thing the Dwaven have you do not even mention. That is the great war cry.

I am sorry, if that is to hard, but on the other side we have many players that look for guides sometimes and I have to play later again with Hunters that slot Block, Evave and Parry essences (would be not the first time).

Please do post this kind of misinformation in the future, here or anywhere else. You are wasting everyone's time.
    Andhilin, Ifeyina, Iondhilin, wardens of Gondolin -- Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.