We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The ongoing tale of Skjald? (possible spoilers)

Hey there. It's been a while since I posted anything here, because it's actually been a while since I played the game much at all. The problem has to do with my main character, Skjald. When I created him, I had devised a story for him, one I intended to play through.

It began with his backstory. As a child, he went on a long voyage with his father and a group of explorers in search of the lost island home of Numenor. 17 years later, he returned as one of a handful of survivors, with many tales to tell and songs to sing. He used his skill as a Minstrel and bard to earn his keep in Edoras, where he came to the attention of Eomer, who invited him to sing and tell his tales at the court of the King.
    There, he quickly became a favourite of Theoden and his court, and there he met Eowyn, with whom he fell completely in love. To his horror, however, she soon began to reciprocate. Fearful that she would be dishonoured by loving a common man, the son of a carpenter, he resolved to flee Rohan, and become worthy of her. He journeyed north through Dunland and on passing through the Vale of Andrath, he was taken by the Blackwolds.
    Here, the game begins. His adventures saw him defeat the Blackwolds, then the wights of the Barrows, before going north to battle Amarthiel. This battle revealed her to be Narmeleth, and the two fell in love while he was her jailer. They returned to Angmar together, and there she fell in battle.
    At this point, I changed the course of the story somewhat. Frustrated with constant changes to the Minstrel, I recreated him as a Captain, rationalizing the change as follows.
    When Narmeleth was slain, it broke his will, and his music lost its power. Shattered, he returned to Rivendell to wither away. Gandalf had other plans, though, and summoned Gurth, a shipmate from Skjald's youth, to stand by his old friend and Captain. First dealing with a Nazgul, Skjald and Gurth then followed the Fellowship into Eregion, then losing track of them, he went to Dunland, Isengard and eventually back to Moria and Lorien before finally returning to Rohan, where he became Thane of Hytbold. There, he met Eomer and they returned to Edoras where he could finally declare his love for Eowyn, and accept her love for him.
    After that came Helm's Deep and eventually the Battle of Pelennor, where I had originally intended Skjald's story to end. He would fall on the field beside his love, and his story would end.

Of course, the game doesn't end there, so the character carried on after Pelennor, doting over Eowyn in the Houses of Healing. Called upon again to go to the Black Gate, he left her there, where she soon fell in love with Faramir. Sauron defeated, and his pursuit of Eowyn usurped by Faramir, Skjald would go on into Mordor, carrying a shadow within himself.

It's at this point I find the character, and I'm kind of stuck trying to motivate myself to play him. I just don't know where to go with his story at this point. I'm following the quest line, but I'm having trouble contextualizing it, deciding what his motivation IS now. Why is he there? I welcome any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.
    Skjald of Rohan, Minstrel, Captain of Rohan

R.I.P NIDOR of Brandywine Server(1970-2012)

I'm disappointed... no one has any thoughts?

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to say that it's nice to see you posting.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

well ........... too much love......... never thought lotro as a romantic love story..........
    many triangles too ........
    btw you know eowyn was in love with aragon dont you? soooo ........ add him in the story

serious now ...... i dont like your story.....
    not because is not interesting but because its romantic love story.......
    in my mind lotro is a heroic story, a battle between good and evil ......
    ofc it has love in it but not as a main subject.........
    anyway ........ anyone has his/her own taste .........
    have fun with it
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and leading Steward atm, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

I do appreciate the comments, many thanks.

My thinking right now is something like this...

After Pelennor, she is wounded and resides in the Houses of Healing. Skjald stays by her side as long as possible, but is called away to help with other matters around Minas Tirith and beyond. Finally, she wakes, and he is free to go across the river to Andrath and beyond. Meanwhile, she meets Faramir, and that relationship begins. Skjald learns of it after the battle at the Black Gate, and chooses to go into Mordor, the despair and jealousy in his heart drawing him into that dark land where the danger is not merely from orcs and trolls, but perhaps more seriously from within Skjald's own heart.

Just how this will develop will depend on just what experiences he has in Mordor... and beyond.

In essence, the darkness within him is drawing him into Mordor where that darkness might feed on the darkness in that land.

What do you think? Does this sound interesting?