We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Fix tab targeting already!

The way tab targeting should work is like this. If you have a group of enemies around you it should select within a cone DIRECTLY in front of you between those enemies. NOT across the entire damn map, NOT behind you and not any place random versus calculated. It's seriously broken and this shouldn't be hard at all to fix. Thanks.

don't fix what ain't broken

Quote Originally Posted by busterscruggs View Post
    The way tab targeting should work is like this. If you have a group of enemies around you it should select within a cone DIRECTLY in front of you between those enemies. NOT across the entire damn map, NOT behind you and not any place random versus calculated. It's seriously broken and this shouldn't be hard at all to fix. Thanks.
    Signed!

If they broke it, they should be able to fix it, right?

Whew. I thought it was just me. I needed to hit tab 10 times just to target the thing in front of me. I was about to go and see if I could change it to 'select nearest target' or something as a temporary fix.

What could have happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    I needed to hit tab 10 times just to target the thing in front of me.

AFAIK, it's always worked that way, and it's always been annoying.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

I believe that TAB defaults to Target Next, with next being the next mob on a list of mobs within some range or area. Go into Options, press the Key Mapping button on the right menu list, then find the Selection section on the left, and change TAB to Select Nearest Foe. That should give you what you are looking for, I think. Do not forget to re-bind Select Next Foe to some other key and also bind Select Previous Foe
    Ujest - 122 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    find the Selection section on the left, and change TAB to Select Nearest Foe.
    That's almost, but not quite what the OP wants.

If the nearest foe to you happens to be behind you, then it would be selected. He wants to select "the nearest foe that is closest to directly in front of me", by some formula of distance and angle.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval
    Author of plugins: SequenceBars, Reminders, others

The "good" targets are from class to clas different. As a tank it doesn´t hurt to be able to tab to the next group to pull them in the fight. Or in another scenario a ranged foes stands outside so the range dpse could do dmg on him while the raven pulls him melee etc.
    Only reaching the foes dierect in front of you with tab is bad. There are a lot scenarios in which is reaching far away mobs with tab is minimum a benefit if not even neccessary.

If i had 10 mithral coins for every time i thought i targeted a nearby NPC and ended up killing some poor deer or somthing. I would have a lot of MC so

/signed

Lightbulb

Yes the Tab+Target in LoTRO leaves alot to be desired.

In some instances like Thrang Summer Festival, happily the mobs that will join in after a while can be sighted around the arena (some stand far up in the background but can still be targeted and dragged out a tooltip from) and I usually drag out a tooltip for all of them, well not all but the important ones before combat. Like Thrang Himself and some of the other important ones. However that is not an option in all or even not in many instances. It seems once You have one mob targeted and use tab again it will select the one nearest to that mob that You previoulsy had targeted. In Thrang instance, again, that is a pain in the butt with all the Fumaroles that are also considered valid targets. As most often You end up toggling between alot of those unless have tool tips of the mobs dragged out on the screen. In fact even nearest target would not be useful to a ranged class there either, as that would most surely target fumaroles. Only a tank and melee class would potentially benefit from that.

The weirdest thing is when You have a mob running up to Your face, no mob in target and then press Alt+Tab and end up having a mob pretty far away targeted instead of the one You are facing. I gues "target nearest" would solve that at least.

In the space between worlds, thinking, exploring, learning, dreaming, creating and always passing on
    Tab targeting works just fine in this game. It works very reliably and predictably, in fact. I use it consistently while raiding, when it is appropriate to do so.

Tab starts, from having no target, by selecting the target nearest to you that is on your screen, or whose unit circle is or would be on your screen if selected. From there, it selects the next nearest etc., so on. If you want to select the nearest target within a select group and discount others, you can spin your screen to contain just the selection group you want to grab the nearest target of. It works fine; I've been doing it for years. The game keeps track of your tab cycle once you begin it, and will continue to cycle through all enemies in order, IF the target list doesn't change, and will default back to the nearest selection if it is pressed again if the target list does change (either by your camera angle viewing different targets, or by targets being killed etc.). If you manually select a creature, then press tab, it will jump to the next target in that target list, moving on from the one you were on, rather than going back to the nearest 'start' point - so if you want to grab something out of a group and manual selection is difficult, you can tap one that is a little bit nearer and only need to tab once or twice to jump across to the 'buried' one.

If you want to select the target that is absolutely closest to you, regardless of any other factors, the key you want is, by default, backspace. Yes, it is another function that does exist and has existed in the game since launch. It, too, will then cycle outwards from nearest absolute to next nearest absolute, etc., if you press it repeatedly.
    Rider, Fighter, Virgin, Lover; Watcher, Chaser, Bearer of Pain.
    Victim tormented, Abused and Broken; Rise from the ashes and Hunt once again.
    And Vengeance Be Thy Oath.

It feels like something changed in tab targeting recently, though. If it has always worked like this mechanically, maybe the range is extended, so it is taking longer to cycle through? Not sure.

The person I play with noticed something strange in the past week or two as well. Neither of us had said anything because we thought it was just something we were doing, but I brought it up after seeing this post and our experiences have been similar.

Especially on my lore-master I have been very aware of how targeting works, since I am often swapping targets for crowd control.

OH MY GOD YES. Last night my hunter targeted a mob on the other side of a boulder off to the side of me. It was so annoying trying to retarget on the fly.