We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thank you SSG for revamped Hobbit Gifts

I got a really pleasant surprise when I opened my first daily (silver) hobbit present. So far I have gotten better gifts than we used to get. I'm really looking forward to opening the weekly Gold Hobbit Gift later today. Great job, SSG! This was a request in the Player Suggestions forum and now it is a reality.

By the way, I'm also enjoying the landscape and new quests. I only play a couple of hours each evening and have yet to see most of the new areas.
    Brandywine server. Kin: Runic Knights.

I love the revamped Hobbit gift system too. Much better than the old one.

What bothers me about the new hobbit gift, is that it is too easy to overlook when mithril coins are deducted. The button for the purchase with mithril coins should have a different colour or better: a payment with mithril coins should have a confirmation dialogue.

Chances are you like surprises, if not the chances are:

Quote Originally Posted by Feuerhaar View Post
    The last test was 1447 Silver and 1938 Gold.

Silver

Gold

While the 200 MC are indeed still in the pool, I still haven't seen Attack Tomes or 10% out-of-Combat Run Speed. Has anyone else got one during their tests or did they remove those two?
    If your intellect can't fathom my reasoning it's me who's unreasonable?

Kind of a bummer to see no MC for the silver prizes. I only got them about once every other year before, but it was nice to know they were in the mix.

I do like the fact that we can now yell at a specific hobbit for giving us in combat run speed boots *glares at Holly Hornblower*.

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    Kind of a bummer to see no MC for the silver prizes. I only got them about once every other year before, but it was nice to know they were in the mix.

I do like the fact that we can now yell at a specific hobbit for giving us in combat run speed boots *glares at Holly Hornblower*.
    They might still be there to get, only SSG can say, but didn't make this particular pass.

Wow Stockholm syndrome or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Thodorin View Post
    What bothers me about the new hobbit gift, is that it is too easy to overlook when mithril coins are deducted.

WAI

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Moorsbane View Post
    Wow Stockholm syndrome or what?
    Yup. Looks like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballie View Post
    They might still be there to get, only SSG can say, but didn't make this particular pass.
    MC are only listed for the Gold Legendary Giftbox on the in game summary, so I'm going to assume they're not available for silver slots.

It's possible your experiment didn't hit them, as I would certainly assume the other two stat tome selection boxes are available, but I think it'll be a surprise if they do pop up.

I'm mildly curious about the effect of daily free virtue xp (at least I've gotten some every day in addition a random pick from the category so I assume that's WAI) has on the VXP slog, but not quite curious enough to calculate it

Yeah, got the gold gift today. 100vxp and THREE scrolls of Finesse! And not some measly +500, but a whopping +503! Yup, three of them.

Sorry for being the pessimist here, but are we really going to thank SSG for putting dev resources into a virtual slot machine? This is actually funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LotroVidz View Post
    Sorry for being the pessimist here, but are we really going to thank SSG for putting dev resources into a virtual slot machine? This is actually funny.
    In fairness to the people that like the changes . . . the slot machine was already there. At least now it gives prizes which are a bit more decent. Remember also, it's only a slot machine if you spend mithril on rolls. If not, it's just free fun.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Moln View Post
    MC are only listed for the Gold Legendary Giftbox on the in game summary, so I'm going to assume they're not available for silver slots.

It's possible your experiment didn't hit them, as I would certainly assume the other two stat tome selection boxes are available, but I think it'll be a surprise if they do pop up.

I'm mildly curious about the effect of daily free virtue xp (at least I've gotten some every day in addition a random pick from the category so I assume that's WAI) has on the VXP slog, but not quite curious enough to calculate it
    I would say that they would have mentioned MC on the silver hobbit present summary if those would be in there.

The two missing stat tome selection boxes were something I noticed during taking the data but that is probably due to the not big enough sample. The MC in the gold present for example only popped up in the second to last present opened. I was planning to open presents till i got the missing drops but I beta ended before I found them.

About the free virtue xp: Each of the five possible groups inside the presents gives a fixed amount of VXP which is also noted in the summary before you open it. I think someone (Ballie?) did track the virtue xp you got from alot of presents during testing, though I am not sure if the results were posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    In fairness to the people that like the changes . . . the slot machine was already there. At least now it gives prizes which are a bit more decent. Remember also, it's only a slot machine if you spend mithril on rolls. If not, it's just free fun.
    My thoughts exactly. I have never paid for an extra spin, and never will, so this is basically just a free item every day. Having the list of available rewards on display in the window is much better, and getting some virtue XP, however small, with each spin is a bonus. Even if I did go for an extra spin (which I won’t), I would never be tempted to pay money for MC to do it. In fact, I only ever buy MC with deed-earned LP anyway. I only spend money on actual content, like expansions or the occasional VIP month.

Would I prefer it if the gambling mechanic wasn’t there? Of course. But until that is removed, at least this is now a better system than it was previously.

I’m an alien, an illegal alien: I’m a Gondorian Captain in Rohan...

Lightbulb

Opening my Gold Hobbit "Gift" (well not a gift as You need to be subscribed to get it) and I got 5x +5 Hope Tokens, with no extra +morale on them or anything. Yeah real improvement for sure...or...

Nedless to say I dragged and dropped them outside my bags. Trash is trash.

On the other hand I'm kind of glad that crafted Hope Tokens are better than store/slot machines ones, but why even have such useless junk in the Gold Hobbit "Gift" ??? They're so bad they shouldn't even be in the silver one.

I would say that they would have mentioned MC on the silver hobbit present summary if those would be in there.

The two missing stat tome selection boxes were something I noticed during taking the data but that is probably due to the not big enough sample. The MC in the gold present for example only popped up in the second to last present opened. I was planning to open presents till i got the missing drops but I beta ended before I found them.

About the free virtue xp: Each of the five possible groups inside the presents gives a fixed amount of VXP which is also noted in the summary before you open it. I think someone (Ballie?) did track the virtue xp you got from alot of presents during testing, though I am not sure if the results were posted.
    My 501 gold only sample got ball park 75k VXP so around 3.5 ranks in all 21 virtues starting from rank zero (late in the day going from memory atm). It would be a rough way to pay for virtues. Freebies is fine. Now 501 is 100 weeks so a couple of years of free pulls. That's a couple of months of Vales dailies VXP grinding, until a couple of days ago.

Those bigger sample sizes, what 37 years worth of free pulls? Couldn't be that many could there?

Can you update the script to handle the VXP? I know that decons for crafting materials wasn't throwing anything to chat, was it the same for VXP too?

Can you update the script to handle the VXP? I know that decons for crafting materials wasn't throwing anything to chat, was it the same for VXP too?
    VXP given by the Hobbit presents was indeed visible in the chat.
    You have acquired: [50 Virtue XP]
    I used that information to determine which of the 5 groups a certain present belonged to. So it is indeed possible to do the VXP calculations just from the chatresults.

Lightbulb

Eheh! Opened my silver Hobbit Gift today, as gold was yesterday. I got one +5 Hope Token today. Yesterday 5x +5 Hope Tokens. lol

Seem those +5 Hope Tokens likes me. Again dragged out of my bag into the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Eheh! Opened my silver Hobbit Gift today, as gold was yesterday. I got one +5 Hope Token today. Yesterday 5x +5 Hope Tokens. lol

Seem those +5 Hope Tokens likes me. Again dragged out of my bag into the void.
    I believe those are store-bought hope tokens which ...might stack with regular hope tokens? I've heard of them but never tested. Not really a good idea to get rid of them if so.
    Chromite/Grumbletocks/Grumbletunes/Schrade on Landroval, Chromite on Arkenstone, Appendage on Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ChromiteSwiftpaw View Post
    I believe those are store-bought hope tokens which ...might stack with regular hope tokens? I've heard of them but never tested. Not really a good idea to get rid of them if so.
    If you are running toons below 51 or don't have a cap jeweller will be useful. I haven't seen anything that would stack with something you could get in game though.

The crafted hope also gets a very tiny resistance buff later on that the store/presents ones don't have and then another +1 hope. But the "quirkiness" of crafting allows us to craft the last two tiers of +6 hope tokens to put on our 51+ toons.

VXP given by the Hobbit presents was indeed visible in the chat.

I used that information to determine which of the 5 groups a certain present belonged to. So it is indeed possible to do the VXP calculations just from the chatresults.
    This is why we need many eyes and many views when testing. I hadn't connected what the UI was showing me and drawing my results from actually raising the virtue ranks.

A quick calculation of my 501 gold sample shows 71,700 VXP gained, I prefer to err on the side of caution, but 75k was in the park. But it's in the data rather than my estimate.

Cordovan has the onerous task of updating the Article in the coming days. In many ways, now that I actually look at the UI, it tells the player much more than the old UI did. Still the option to have or not have a confirmation would help on MC pulls, unless the lag fix is slated for this Tuesday too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Well said.

Oh, yes! Thank you so much. I love the revamped hobbit gifts. I also appreciate the fact you can now get the figments of splendor from them too! Well done!

If you are running toons below 51 or don't have a cap jeweller will be useful. I haven't seen anything that would stack with something you could get in game though.

The crafted hope also gets a very tiny resistance buff later on that the store/presents ones don't have and then another +1 hope. But the "quirkiness" of crafting allows us to craft the last two tiers of +6 hope tokens to put on our 51+ toons.
    There's a 90 minute hope tome that stacks with crafted tokens (the tome isn't what you're talking about here, I think). I was using both when soloing one of the Angmar instances for slayer deeds earlier this year, and the tome notably remained in effect when the boss got to randomly one shot me. I just found them (the tomes) in my vault, so I'm not sure where they originally came from

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast