We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    My definition is the same as the actual definition, so you are talking about doing the same thing.

Re: the brief extra life marathon PvP time - being bad at a thing is not the same as deliberately working with another player to let the other person rank up by exploiting the mechanics of PvMP without actually playing the game as intended, then switch places and do the same thing to the other character (sometimes). While I was dying over and over, it was mostly because I was hanging out in multiple chat rooms. Also, I was actually pushing buttons and engaging in general gameplay.

This really isn't that complicated. If your purpose is to just stand there so someone else can level up deliberately, it's a violation of the rules. Whether it is being done in 1v1 or through some other method is irrelevant.

We also would never adjudicate moderation and disciplinary decisions on the forums, so no - under no circumstances would we provide further detail about a specific incident.
    You have repeatedly failed to provide a cohesive argument of what is the difference between imbalance causing what appears to be rank farming and actual rank farming. You have predicated the difference in “attempting combat” and “pushing buttons and engaging in general gameplay”. Therefore you can easily look at combat logs and see that both individuals were “pushing buttons” and engaging in combat and movement. You have repeatedly conflated the two terms to create an atmosphere where it’s ambiguous rather than using the long standing definition which is reliant on the term INTENTIONAL. If you really can’t prove it’s intentional, and there is combat and movement how can you justify banning players and stripping their rank. From the outside, without any context the video of you playing looks like rank farming, and the videos of 1v1’s look like combat. I’m sorry Cordovan, but unless you can succinctly provide information why or how rank farming is determined (not dependent on this instance) then how can the GMs make this determination? Without communicating to your player base how moral and ethical is it to change long standing rules and community guidelines that were official stances, without notifying your player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorsfighter View Post
    You have repeatedly failed to provide a cohesive argument of what is the difference between imbalance causing what appears to be rank farming and actual rank farming. You have predicated the difference in “attempting combat” and “pushing buttons and engaging in general gameplay”. Therefore you can easily look at combat logs and see that both individuals were “pushing buttons” and engaging in combat and movement. You have repeatedly conflated the two terms to create an atmosphere where it’s ambiguous rather than using the long standing definition which is reliant on the term INTENTIONAL. If you really can’t prove it’s intentional, and there is combat and movement how can you justify banning players and stripping their rank. From the outside, without any context the video of you playing looks like rank farming, and the videos of 1v1’s look like combat. I’m sorry Cordovan, but unless you can succinctly provide information why or how rank farming is determined (not dependent on this instance) then how can the GMs make this determination? Without communicating to your player base how moral and ethical is it to change long standing rules and community guidelines that were official stances, without notifying your player base.
    In addition to this:

"1v1 rankfarming" has never been a thing... literally never. No rankfarmer would ever employ the methods cord mentioned (one person repeatedly dying, then switching it up) because of how woefully inefficient it is in terms of point gains.

Any rankfarming operations would employ at least 3-4 accounts at minimum due to the way the rating system and infamy/renown gains work. The GMs seemed to understand this as well because no one has ever been banned for anything less than farming with a group of accounts.

Now that has changed and everyone is confused.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

This really isn't that complicated. If your purpose is to just stand there so someone else can level up deliberately, it's a violation of the rules. Whether it is being done in 1v1 or through some other method is irrelevant.

We also would never adjudicate moderation and disciplinary decisions on the forums, so no - under no circumstances would we provide further detail about a specific incident.
    But this wasn't the purpose in the situation brought up by OP. It's a waste of time to play semantic circus (like some other posters here)- that's not what happened at GG, and I know the folks who were banned are not rank farmers, nor would participate in that activity. It's a "GM's word vs players' word," but the GM in question clearly is inexperienced with PvP. Obviously that's not enough to reverse a 7 day ban, but SSG needs to know that there are a lot of people really upset over a GM's poor judgement, and this type of ignorance when it comes to NON RANK FARMING 1v1s ticks off a lot of people who don't, and have never participated in the purposeful and continuous volunteering of points.
    ~Rank 11 Loremaster, Arkenstone~

~Rank 13 Warg, Arkenstone~

I think this whole thread is getting sidetracked, based on people twisting or misinterpreting cordovan's words, which where probably written very quickly while the whole mob issues with the update were being sorted.

Rank farming is not an exploit of game mechanics. You kill people and get infamy from it. The mechanics are working exactly as intended.

Rank farming is banned because it pisses off most of the playerbase, myself included xD

So when the playerbase is saying that they don't believe someone should be banned for an instance that is being defined as rank farming...

Quote Originally Posted by Agollas View Post
    So when the playerbase is saying that they don't believe someone should be banned for an instance that is being defined as rank farming...
    Except it wasn't rank farming, it was the exact type of behavior that's been acceptable in the Moors since I started playing the game. A GM got it wrong, and now folks are getting into the semantics of "what is really rank farming," when I know that argument is a waste of time, because the folks involved weren't involved in rank farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Spilo View Post
    Except it wasn't rank farming, it was the exact type of behavior that's been acceptable in the Moors since I started playing the game. A GM got it wrong, and now folks are getting into the semantics of "what is really rank farming," when I know that argument is a waste of time, because the folks involved weren't involved in rank farming.
    That is why I used the term "being defined as"

We all don't think it is rank farming and don't think the players should be banned for it. The point I was trying to make was that the ban only got implemented years ago because players complained about it, so when players complain about someone being banned for supposedly rank farming, perhaps listen to them?

That is why I used the term "being defined as"

We all don't think it is rank farming and don't think the players should be banned for it. The point I was trying to make was that the ban only got implemented years ago because players complained about it, so when players complain about someone being banned for supposedly rank farming, perhaps listen to them?
    Ah, my mistake, then.

Ah, my mistake, then.

No worries, I didn't make it that clear In the first post

We're going around in circles here.

The bans have been set.

SSG has one opinion and reasons to believe the bans are valid.
    You have another opinion and reasons to believe the bans are invalid.

Regardless of who is wrong or right in this case, SSG has the final word and can ban anyone without any explanation given. So at the end of the day, you have the following options:

1) Let it go. Move on. Play another game or start another character.
    2) Whine about it on the forums until someone, someone PLEASE make SSG see the error of their ways.
    3) If you have convincing evidence, hire a lawyer to see if you can find a hole in the TOS and sue SSG.

I understand why you went with #2, as #1 means giving up, and #3 costs you money. But as #2 has not worked, and SSG has dug in their heels..... it's time to go to either #1, or #3.

I don't think the bans are going to be undone, and I am not even sure this topic actually helps the situation. Perhaps appeal to SSG support one last time, include all of your evidence, provide a link to this topic..... and if they say "no" once more, its time to let it go. Or hire a lawyer, but that probably wouldn't get you anywhere. And even if it did (e.g. Judge saying: "you were right, SSG please give him back the account"), they would just change the TOS and ban you again anyways.

In short: You were banned. You think it's unfair and SSG is wrong. But you are going to have to take it like a man, because you have absolutely no rights, and they own absolutely everything on that account.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    We're going around in circles here.

The bans have been set.

SSG has one opinion and reasons to believe the bans are valid.
    You have another opinion and reasons to believe the bans are invalid.

Regardless of who is wrong or right in this case, SSG has the final word and can ban anyone without any explanation given. So at the end of the day, you have the following options:

1) Let it go. Move on. Play another game or start another character.
    2) Whine about it on the forums until someone, someone PLEASE make SSG see the error of their ways.
    3) If you have convincing evidence, hire a lawyer to see if you can find a hole in the TOS and sue SSG.

I understand why you went with #2, as #1 means giving up, and #3 costs you money. But as #2 has not worked, and SSG has dug in their heels..... it's time to go to either #1, or #3.

I don't think the bans are going to be undone, and I am not even sure this topic actually helps the situation. Perhaps appeal to SSG support one last time, include all of your evidence, provide a link to this topic..... and if they say "no" once more, its time to let it go. Or hire a lawyer, but that probably wouldn't get you anywhere. And even if it did (e.g. Judge saying: "you were right, SSG please give him back the account"), they would just change the TOS and ban you again anyways.

In short: You were banned. You think it's unfair and SSG is wrong. But you are going to have to take it like a man, because you have absolutely no rights, and they own absolutely everything on that account.
    I wasn't banned- I wasn't online at the time. I do agree with your reasoning, but my intention with most of the things I'm saying here is to raise awareness, so hopefully a conversation can be had with GMs so that they are made aware of what 1v1s are, the precedent set by LOTRO previously, and why 1v1ing isn't rank farming (no guaranteed surrender of points, each party attempting to secure kills, the consequences of this ban resulting in a chunk of the playerbase angry). I have 0 hope of a SSG "mea culpa," as SSG/Turbine has placed numerous unwarranted and unfair suspensions, and has never changed their rulings or fixed the situation once. Here's to hoping they won't mess this one up again, otherwise they may have to charge $200 for the next expansion to make up for another loss in the playerbase.

I wasn't banned- I wasn't online at the time. I do agree with your reasoning, but my intention with most of the things I'm saying here is to raise awareness, so hopefully a conversation can be had with GMs so that they are made aware of what 1v1s are, the precedent set by LOTRO previously, and why 1v1ing isn't rank farming (no guaranteed surrender of points, each party attempting to secure kills, the consequences of this ban resulting in a chunk of the playerbase angry). I have 0 hope of a SSG "mea culpa," as SSG/Turbine has placed numerous unwarranted and unfair suspensions, and has never changed their rulings or fixed the situation once. Here's to hoping they won't mess this one up again, otherwise they may have to charge $200 for the next expansion to make up for another loss in the playerbase.
    SSG isn’t just digging in their heels, they are intentionally eroding their own definition of rank farming by purposely conflating rankfarming :: 1v1’s. They had an official position previously, they are now dissenting on their own word. We don’t expect a mea culpa despite our personal knowledge of the events don’t correlate to SSG’s transcription of events. We also know that GMs make mistakes, they are human, and we don’t expect them to have a wealth of knowledge of every topic they encounter in game. Our intention was exactly as Spilo said, have an open discussion on this topic with SSG to prevent further issues, gain knowledge of how they made the determination to prevent it happening to others, and in some small way hope to mitigate any damage done to those who have already been affected.

Really, we want to make sure these players (not just this instance but others that have been reported) don’t lose years of hard work for one situation that was at the discretion of one person. That decision could easily be made in the wrong context I.e. Cord’s pvp video or other situations we have described. Perhaps if we could influence SSG to at least review their policy on rank resets, at the minimum. Resetting back to ZERO is a horrible punishment for someone that had one instance taken out of context. Often our communities know these people and know they didn’t farm to where they are, allow us to petition for their rank.. because they did gain that within the confines of the CoC. Just reset whatever gains they made that day/instance/week/month and take that as their long term punishment in addition to their week ban. Erasing 3-5 years of work is cruel and unjust.

I gank GG 1v1s once in a while (not much in the last couple of years). The reason is in my opinion certain players haven't earned the respect deserving of someone wanting a free pass in an open pvp zone, especially those showing up at GG because their zerg numbers died out and they're looking to continue their easymode.

That said, I've never once considered what they do rank farming. Like not even close. And I find it very wrong for SSG to change the rules without warning (assuming that's what's happened, I have no idea).
    Team Milt.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorsfighter View Post
    Erasing 3-5 years of work is cruel and unjust.
    Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, it is what it is. Permanent bans are VERY rarely reversed and Blue Names will NEVER discuss a specific ban on a public forum.

They seem to think that they have a reason to implement the ban, so you pretty much have to accept it and move on..... they own your account, they own everything you "purchased" (you really only leased it), they reserve every right to refuse anyone service for any reason without giving any reason.

So this is pretty much "end of the road" for you, unless you are willing to spend some serious money on a lawyer to see if the ToS has a loophole somewhere that forces SSG to re-instate your account, and/or you have actual evidence in possession that would stand up in a court of law. Beyond that.... yes, your 3-5 years of hard work and your hard earned spent money are GONE.

I could insert a "deal with it" GIF, but I think you get the message....
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015! Now also playing on ANOR!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, it is what it is. Permanent bans are VERY rarely reversed and Blue Names will NEVER discuss a specific ban on a public forum.

They seem to think that they have a reason to implement the ban, so you pretty much have to accept it and move on..... they own your account, they own everything you "purchased" (you really only leased it), they reserve every right to refuse anyone service for any reason without giving any reason.

So this is pretty much "end of the road" for you, unless you are willing to spend some serious money on a lawyer to see if the ToS has a loophole somewhere that forces SSG to re-instate your account, and/or you have actual evidence in possession that would stand up in a court of law. Beyond that.... yes, your 3-5 years of hard work and your hard earned spent money are GONE.

Again, you keep saying this... it’s a bit rude and pointless other than to show your boorish nature. We all saw this the first time and your repeated postings are inappropriate to this discussion because they don’t add substance. You’re basically posting this to just harass people. I wasn’t banned, if I was banned I wouldn’t be able to post on the forums now would I?
    The point of this thread as I’ve said above is open dialogue, which you are not being apart of, you are discouraging. So please stop trolling this thread by repeatedly posting the same message over and over again.

You should probably stop.

No one in this thread needs to read you standing on some imaginary level of jurisprudence. If this thread bothers you, you can choose to not read it or post in it. At this point it is being construed as harassment.

Btw You don't seem to understand the legal process path described in the ToS. At least get that correct.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

1v1's are considered rank farming when the people involved are rank farming. I do not know the particulars of this disciplinary action, nor is that something I can really get involved in. If you need to file an appeal, please do so through help.standingstonegames.com.

Sorry by advance if I repeat something already pointed out, I didn't take the time to read all the pages.

I have been banned this summer on evernight for rank farming same as the people concerned by this thread. I did some spars now and then but I was never the most present at glc and by far.

I can tell you this: Appealing via a ticket is just a deadlock. I tried every month to do so, every month I didn't receive any answer and the tickets were closed. My question is: Why coming on a thread and trying to act like you are caring about a problem by providing a hypothetic solution, which is just equal to be ignored totally ? Why can't you just take a bit of time to get deeper into the problem and find a working solution...

As said before in this thread, because of the support incapacity to do anything, you better move on with being strip off your rank like me (seems like the lucky ending) or move on to another game if you are banned (and I do wish that you find one you like and one that is developed and maintained by professionals).

Best of luck to all people banned.

Grim

Une autre preuve sur le farming ma vidéo sera supprimé , mais je m'en fou ... pour monter l'état du pvp .

Rank farming is not an exploit of game mechanics. You kill people and get infamy from it. The mechanics are working exactly as intended.

Rank farming is banned because it pisses off most of the playerbase, myself included xD
    What utter nonsense. You state rank farming is "You kill people and get infamy from it." but then say rank farming is banned?

So, anyone who kills an opposing character is breaking the rank farming rules? Some people should really read what they write before posting.

As to rank farming (I assume you mean the real rank farming now and not just playing pvp) being banned because "it pisses off most of the playerbase", is so not why it is banned.

It is banned because it is cheating *** ...Plain and simple. You are breaking the rules and playing not as the concept of pvp is supposed to be played to gain an advantage. Simple.

And the developers are equally culpable. There should be an internal audit of who allowed free players into the Moors and continued to allow it and still allow it and they should held up for gross misconduct. Then dismissed. PVmP since 2011/2012 is the laughing stock of all MMO including the really dodgy asian games.

Unfortunately it is attitudes much as yourself which have left it in this position.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnumum View Post
    Une autre preuve sur le farming ma vidéo sera supprimé , mais je m'en fou ... pour monter l'état du pvp .
    Kudos for showing how all those early R15 got to that Rank. It is a shame because when I see anyone at R15 now, i just think "cheat". Does that make me a bad person for thinking that? Not really, it's just a measure of my experience in the last 7-8 years since f2p.

TO the OP

Whenever you plan 1v1 or any v any, you have to run the risk of being banned for rank farming. I am actually glad to hear that this is happening. I applaud the GM. Standing in one place and having constant fights which are planned is not what the moors was designed for. Don't get me wrong, before I retired my creeps and freeps, I used to head to Hotspot at the end of an evenings fun and games to have a couple of fights on 1v1 and to basically /clap the opposition for a fun evening but I knew that I ran the risk of being banned for engaging in something that the game isn't designed for.

I have asked for an instanced arena endlessly where folks can indulge in 1v1 2v2 3v3 6v6 but Turbine had no interest in it. Here rank gain can be controlled with cooldowns or zero renown/infamy gain and would be used by those who truly just want the fun and not interested in the points. All you would need is to add some arena titles and they would be happy.

*** Cheat: Oxford Dictionarycheat. [intransitive] cheat (at something) to act in a dishonest way in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game, a competition, an exam, etc. ...

Last edited by LabadalofDorlomin; Nov 10 2019 at 04:49 AM.
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post
    What utter nonsense. You state rank farming is "You kill people and get infamy from it." but then say rank farming is banned?

So, anyone who kills an opposing character is breaking the rank farming rules? Some people should really read what they write before posting.

As to rank farming (I assume you mean the real rank farming now and not just playing pvp) being banned because "it pisses off most of the playerbase", is so not why it is banned.

It is banned because it is cheating *** ...Plain and simple. You are breaking the rules and playing not as the concept of pvp is supposed to be played to gain an advantage. Simple.

*** Cheat: Oxford Dictionarycheat. [intransitive] cheat (at something) to act in a dishonest way in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game, a competition, an exam, etc. ...

Lol, here we go then xD

So yes, I said that rank farming is just killing people and getting infamy from it. As far as game mechanics are concerned this is true. How many clients you are logged in to, or how hard the other person is trying to kill you does not impact the game's mechanics or exploit any bug, the only aspect of the game mechanics being exploited is the landscape to get to a hard to reach area 1st. That is why I said that rank farming is not an exploit.

But yes, I agree that it is cheating. However it is not cheating the game, it is cheating the other players.

Hence why I was saying that the reason rank farming was banned is because it pissed players off, so enough players complained (felt cheated by it) for turbine to have a policy on it. For example a thread from nearly 10 years ago: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t=rank+farming

If you look at things which are exploits of bugs/game mechanics, such as the exploiters with massively inflated stats, I believe they were banned, even though they were doing it before Turbine released any statement about it. Even look at the people exploiting using server transfers to get over the ember cap, they have been "punished" by having their total brought back down to the cap, even though they were doing it before there was an official statement about it.

How come rank farmers from times before turbine had a policy on it had not been banned/disciplined if it is an exploit like any other?

All this is irrelevant though, I went in to the semantics to make the point that rank farming became a bannable offence because enough players complained about it, so when enough players complain about someone being wrongly banned for it, perhaps SSG should listen.

How about we just agree that rank farming is bad and should be banned and leave it there

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post

And the developers are equally culpable. There should be an internal audit of who allowed free players into the Moors and continued to allow it and still allow it and they should held up for gross misconduct. Then dismissed. PVmP since 2011/2012 is the laughing stock of all MMO including the really dodgy asian games.

Unfortunately it is attitudes much as yourself which have left it in this position.

Kudos for showing how all those early R15 got to that Rank. It is a shame because when I see anyone at R15 now, i just think "cheat". Does that make me a bad person for thinking that? Not really, it's just a measure of my experience in the last 7-8 years since f2p.

TO the OP

Whenever you plan 1v1 or any v any, you have to run the risk of being banned for rank farming. I am actually glad to hear that this is happening. I applaud the GM. Standing in one place and having constant fights which are planned is not what the moors was designed for. Don't get me wrong, before I retired my creeps and freeps, I used to head to Hotspot at the end of an evenings fun and games to have a couple of fights on 1v1 and to basically /clap the opposition for a fun evening but I knew that I ran the risk of being banned for engaging in something that the game isn't designed for.

I have asked for an instanced arena endlessly where folks can indulge in 1v1 2v2 3v3 6v6 but Turbine had no interest in it. Here rank gain can be controlled with cooldowns or zero renown/infamy gain and would be used by those who truly just want the fun and not interested in the points. All you would need is to add some arena titles and they would be happy.

Re. Your cheating definition. No one's being dishonest and there's no advantage gained so I don't know why you bothered posting that.

Other than that, I've never once heard of people being banned for 1v1s. That amounts to changing the rules after the fact which is lame. If this is their new policy, couldn't warnings have been given just as easily? Also, what do they care anyway? Pvmp is so neglected at this point it's laughable. Punishing people for getting the last remaining fun out of the dying gasps of a part of the game the owners likely wish didn't exist anymore is just friggin' mean.
    Team Milt.

Currently on Ark we've got a few Freeps off the map rank-farming, and apparently have been so for some time. Let's see if those "1v1ers" will receive their just bans, or if SSG will let it slide because... they probably are spending a lot of money, and we only ban the just 1v1ers (unfortunately they aren't dumping loads of cash into our game). I've got my bets placed.

Currently on Ark we've got a few Freeps off the map rank-farming, and apparently have been so for some time. Let's see if those "1v1ers" will receive their just bans, or if SSG will let it slide because... they probably are spending a lot of money, and we only ban the just 1v1ers (unfortunately they aren't dumping loads of cash into our game). I've got my bets placed.
    Accounts bought and sold. Accounts traded and traded back for years. More Creeps there than some servers have active pvpers. Paid for cash rank farming. The list is long on how its done and perpetuates. It's been going on for years on every server that has active pvp.

There is a challenge for you to be had here. Get a few Wargs there and have fun wrecking their little pvp rank farm.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4